inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your Cellphone Ringtones

Written By: Michael C. on 02/10/09 at 7:39 pm

I find Peoples choices of ringtones interesting.
For a couple years I had the theme from the Halloween movie.....The more I heard others with it....I changed it.
Now....My main ringtone is the intro to Jigsaw's Sky High
other assigned tones...Dark Shadows theme...a quote from Beneath the Planet of the Apes...a quote from The Exorcist....Andrea True's More,More,More...Psychadelic Furs' Love My Way intro...Rob Zombie's Living Dead Girl...main theme from Grindhouse....Twisted Nerve ....

Subject: Re: Your Cellphone Ringtones

Written By: snozberries on 02/10/09 at 8:44 pm

I use the Boondocks theme song for my general ringtone

Where is the Love
when anyone from work callls

and the Imperial March for my boss  ;D

Written By: Michael C. on 02/10/09 at 8:56 pm

Good one for Your Boss !!
Tones should fit people.......Twisted Nerve is My ex-Wife's tone  :)

I use the Boondocks theme song for my general ringtone

Where is the Love
when anyone from work callls

and the Imperial March for my boss  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/10/09 at 9:02 pm

Good one for Your Boss !!
Tones should fit people.......Twisted Nerve is My ex-Wife's tone  :)

;D

you don't know the people I work with but Where is the Love fits too...not the song but the concept!

Written By: Brian06 on 02/11/09 at 5:13 pm

I'm rotating between "Circus", "Poker Face", and "My Life Would Suck Without You" lately. All favorites of mine at this time.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/11/09 at 5:36 pm

The Walton's theme for my parents number.

The sound of a car crash would be my best friends number.

The Munster's theme for every other number.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/09 at 5:39 pm

The Walton's theme for my parents number.

The sound of a car crash would be my best friends number.

The Munster's theme for every other number.

nice!  I use the buffy theme for a fellow Buffy fan

Gilmore Girls for my friend who loves that show as much as I do

Laverne and Shirley because I have a friend who is an SNL fanatic

Charmed for my wiccan friend (My other wiccan friend  ;) )

Eminem's Without Me for the friend I can't live without.

Charlie's Angels for all the girls I worked security with.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/11/09 at 6:59 pm

I only have one ringtone.  It used to be Crazy by Patsy Cline but I got a new phone so now it is Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy by Big and Rich.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/12/09 at 12:54 pm

I have "Pour Some Sugar on Me" for my husband.   ;D

My two best friends have "What a Wonderful World"

My family has "Across the Universe"

Everyone else has "Get Off of My Cloud" 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/09 at 5:55 pm

Ahem, I must use an intestinal analogy here: Ringtones are like farts; your own are fun, and everybody else's are annoying.
:P

I leave mean on vibrate, so I don't do ringtones.  I was thinking of uploading some measures from Noah Creshevsky or some artist/composer I don't think gets heard enough, but I the reactions I observe of other people's ringtones are generally negative, so I'll just leave my friend's music out of it! 

The phone is a connector to a stressful world: Dysfunctional family, creditors, job interview arrangements, and so forth.  I have close friends I talk to on the phone as well, but nine out of ten times the phone rings, it's not a connection that brings me joy. 

I spent years as a depressive barely able to drag himself out of bed in the morning.  In the '90s I had my alarm set at 7:30 a.m. on NPR.  So for years my slumber was terminated by the Morning Edition fanfare and "This is Morning Edition; I'm Bob Edwards..."  After a time, I came to associate the Morning Edition fanfare and the voice of Bob Edwards with not wanting to get out of bed!  The same was true in school for the various beeps and buzzes of my old alarm clocks. 
;D

Similarly, my reaction to the phone signal is not, "Oh boy, who can that special person be?"  It's "Oh God, here we go again!"  Whatever sound I set for it I would come to associate with apprehension, so I just left it on the cheesy carnival music the phone company started me with.  I found the music obtrusive going off while I was trying to talk to somebody and since the first month I've had a cell phone, it's been on vibrate.  The phone is always in my pocket or close by, as when it's recharging; thus, I can hear it buzz. 

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/12/09 at 9:57 pm

Ringtones are like *ss*oles, everyones got them. And damn near half are frigging annoying as hell.

I wouldn't mind if some people had some actual creativity in them, or assign really different ones for the caller in question. But I get a little peeved at the skatepunk kid in front of me at the DMV or supermarket line blasting Limpbizkit loudly on a blown/distorted phone speaker, repeatedly.
I guess maybe that choice of tone does reflect his personality though...

Having said that I to have ringtone assigned for those brave enough to attempt to contact me. I'd like to think I chose some that are more creative and original, mind you these are edited down versions of the actual song, not some crappy midi tone (I have Mini Tones on my Centro, you can edit any song on the fly to any alert or tone)

Mom/Dad home phone : Family Affair - Sly & The Family Stone
Dad cell: Song for My Father - Horace Silver (just the signature horn chorus line)
Mom cell: Three Times a Lady - Lionel Richie (actually I really hate that song, and its hard to really "hear" it so I'm thinking about changing it to something like "Mamas Gonna Knock You Out - LL Cool J", hmm maybe not)  ::)

Girlfriend cell: Strawberry Letter 23 - Brothers Johnson (just the guitar solo part, makes a great ringtone)
Text messages: Soft & Wet - Prince (don't ask me why, its just the little hook at the end of the chorus, it just works)
Voice mail alerts: Soul Bossa Nova - Quincy Jones

Written By: Michael C. on 02/12/09 at 10:55 pm

Yeah....It seemed to fit........ ;)

;D

you don't know the people I work with but Where is the Love fits too...not the song but the concept!

Check for new replies or respond here...