inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Muzak Files Chapter 11 to Refinance Debt

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/13/09 at 12:14 am

NO!  :D

This is terrible. An entire history of what was once the giant of completely washed out, made clean, safe and absoultely wretched versions of pop music for elevators, dentists waiting rooms and Florsheim Shoe stores is no more!

The well known and cursed Muzak filled for chapter 11 bankruptcy, the company's debt is estimated to be between $100 and $500 MILLION dollars.  :o

What is more bizarre is that famous maker of annoying background music largest debt amount is to...the big evil RIAA, the music labels, i.e. EMI, Sony, Uni etc. The labels are owed huge amounts in licensing fees for the "muzak" versions of their songs to be played on the Muzak system.

Bizarre isn't it? The RIAA shut down Napster, sues 14 yr olds, and now has killed off Muzak.

Where am I going to get my fix of "White Wedding" done on pan flute now?

Read the sad tragic story here.

Subject: Re: Muzak Files Chapter 11 to Refinance Debt

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/13/09 at 12:19 am

;D

I mean, I don't think it's funny for the employees of the Muzak corporation, but what surprises me is the company is still around!  Their time has come and gone!

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/12/09 at 8:36 pm

;D

I mean, I don't think it's funny for the employees of the Muzak corporation, but what surprises me is the company is still around!  Their time has come and gone!

Read a great article about Muzak last year... they don't pipe in elevator music anymore... they have thousands of channels, and supply the music for a lot of stores that you probably aren't even aware are Muzak streams.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 03/13/09 at 3:52 am

Darn RIAA strikes again!  >:( Seriously, that's a lot of debt to amass!  :o

Written By: Dagwood on 03/13/09 at 6:48 pm

Read a great article about Muzak last year... they don't pipe in elevator music anymore... they have thousands of channels, and supply the music for a lot of stores that you probably aren't even aware are Muzak streams.

Are you saying Muzak is the reason Guns and Roses was playing last time I was at the store?  That was a definite shock to they system.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/14/09 at 5:03 pm

Are you saying Muzak is the reason Guns and Roses was playing last time I was at the store?  That was a definite shock to they system.

yup.  They have custom streams depending on the business type.  It was a real interesting article, wish I knew where it was now.  For some broadcasts, they would make the mix peppier for after the store closed to help energize the employees for closing up the store.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/14/09 at 8:08 pm

yup.  They have custom streams depending on the business type.  It was a real interesting article, wish I knew where it was now.  For some broadcasts, they would make the mix peppier for after the store closed to help energize the employees for closing up the store.

That's hilarious.  It was the grocery store.  I guess they figure my neighborhood is into GNR. ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/15/09 at 6:43 pm

That's hilarious.  It was the grocery store.  I guess they figure my neighborhood is into GNR. ;D

not all GNR is load screamy stuff.. was it November Rain?

Written By: Dagwood on 03/15/09 at 8:18 pm

not all GNR is load screamy stuff.. was it November Rain?

No it was Sweet Child Of Mine.  I would have really loved it if it was I Used to Love Her. ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/16/09 at 9:55 am

No it was Sweet Child Of Mine.  I would have really loved it if it was I Used to Love Her. ;D

Night Train would have been more appropriate if they sold wine there...

Written By: Dagwood on 03/17/09 at 7:26 am

This is Utah....no liquor other than beer sold in stores.  Kids might see it and want to drink, yaknow. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...