inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How long more will happy music dominate the radio airwaves?

Written By: tv on 02/14/09 at 6:32 pm

It seems like ever since glamp rap started to dominate in 2003 music is about either going to a club and picking up a girl or its pop fluff like Rihanna or Britney Spears. There'was gridiness or angst like in 90's grunge or gangsta rap. I mean the economy was really good in the US from 1999-2007 so thats probably why the reason that pop fluff or glam rap have dominated the charts most of this decade. Now the economy is terrible so we will get rebillous music back again in 2-4 more years? Your thoughts........

Subject: Re: How long more will happy music dominate the radio airwaves?

Written By: joeman on 02/14/09 at 6:54 pm

It seems like ever since glamp rap started to dominate in 2003 music is about either going to a club and picking up a girl or its pop fluff like Rihanna or Britney Spears. There'was gridiness or angst like in 90's grunge or gangsta rap. I mean the economy was really good in the US from 1999-2007 so thats probably why the reason that pop fluff or glam rap have dominated the charts most of this decade. Now the economy is terrible so we will get rebillous music back again in 2-4 more years? Your thoughts........

I really hope the likes of Lil Wayne fall off the face of the earth.

That said, hopefully we get a grunge revival with the advent of the new Nirvana movie coming out.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/14/09 at 6:57 pm

Any music is better than Lil Wayne.

::)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/14/09 at 7:34 pm

Music was really superficial for all of the 00's.

Teen pop dominated 2000-2002 music scene

and then after teen pop faded, rap dominated after.

This is probably why music isn't as good, because it isn't as deep. The real reason for this is like you said, the economy or just the atmosphere of the decade as a whole!

Written By: woops on 02/14/09 at 7:42 pm

What's wrong with "happy music"?

I like some music with substance, though also postive/feel good,  upbeat , or cheesy songs for escapism.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/09 at 8:37 am

I'm with TV here...

I long for the days when rappers sang about smoking blunts, chugging 40's, and selling dope with their 'hos.  And will we ever again hear something as pure as Eminem rapping about locking his GF in the trunk of a car and driving it over a bridge?

Written By: tv on 02/15/09 at 10:16 am

What's wrong with "happy music"?

I like some music with substance, though also postive/feel good,  upbeat , or cheesy songs for escapism.
Theres nothing wrong with happy music I'm just maybe sick of it because its been around for so long now and music now seems  so watered down now. I mean every rap song from 2003+ was about picking up a girl at a club mostly Its just not the type of rap music I like. I mean 2 Pac in the 90's had a few songs about girls that he would do about girls but he had a few meaningful/deep songs too.

I don;t know maybe even though the 80's had some cheesey songs it had the feel where older people could relate to those songs in the 80's for some reason or other. The 00's(2003+) just never had that.

I think rap music just sucks now I mean has anybody heard a rap song the past 3 and a half years its terrible most of it.

The economy isn;t good at all I mean todays "happy music" or "fluffy music" just doesn;t go with the time we our in now.

I think maybe the 4 paragraphs above combined is why I'm sick of "happy music" or "fluffy music" for that matter.

Written By: tv on 02/15/09 at 10:21 am

This is probably why music isn't as good, because it isn't as deep. The real reason for this is like you said, the economy or just the atmosphere of the decade as a whole!
No, Teen-pop was really popular in 1999-2000 not really 2001-2002 to me. Yeah music for most of this decade was superficial. To summarize my post even more there was that gap in there from 2001-2002 were those years kinda in between glam rap's dominance (2003-early 2006), (2007-mid 2008 ringtone rap era) and teen-pop's dominance(1999-2000.)

Written By: Brian06 on 02/15/09 at 9:37 pm

It's all about taste, honestly I've always had a thing for pop fluff more than anything else. I do not look for depth, I look for something with a good hook that occupies my mind so I don't get too bored. I am not picky at all. I like pop music others hate it I don't really care anymore.

Written By: 90steen on 02/15/09 at 10:38 pm

You wanna talk gridiness,
ever hear some of Eminem's underground songs?

Written By: tv on 02/16/09 at 12:12 pm

You wanna talk gridiness,
ever hear some of Eminem's underground songs?
I respect Eminem skill as a rapper because he's such a wordsmith but I am not a fan of him because I don;t agree with his subject matter in his songs. I think "Lose Yourself" was/is a definite classic probably though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/09 at 12:14 pm

Happy music is played on Radio2 (in the UK) all the time.

Written By: Paul on 02/16/09 at 1:10 pm

This was why 'glam rock' was huge in Britain in the early-mid 70s...

The entire country was heading rapidly down the plughole, so any form of 'escapism' was most welcome!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/09 at 1:12 pm

Has Morrissey been mentioned in this thread yet?

Written By: Paul on 02/16/09 at 1:14 pm

Has Morrissey been mentioned in this thread yet?

I've yet to hear his version of 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep'...should be a winner!

Written By: guest on 02/16/09 at 9:21 pm

Whatever comes out, it'll be something that none of us had predicted. I agree though, its kind of hard to see how listening to Lil Wayne or Jay Z talk about making it "rain" relates personally to someone in this economy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/09 at 3:40 am

I've yet to hear his version of 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep'...should be a winner!
Why not have it for the Eurovision Song Contest entry?

Written By: g on 02/17/09 at 9:18 am

The economy during the Clinton years were probably the best in recent history but people still wrote boring doom and gloom songs back then.

Also there was a recession just after 9/11 but there were still boy bands and rappers rapping about "bling and hos".

Written By: joeman on 02/17/09 at 9:59 am

Whatever comes out, it'll be something that none of us had predicted. I agree though, its kind of hard to see how listening to Lil Wayne or Jay Z talk about making it "rain" relates personally to someone in this economy.

That is because Lil Wayne and the lot are corporate puppets.  They aren't producing music at all, they are advertising fashion designs, cds, concert tickets, etc..

Written By: guest on 02/17/09 at 5:51 pm

Well these things usually go two ways, recessions can make music darker, i.e. early 90s, or brighter and more party oriented (early 80s), so its really a toss up as to how the recession will effect pop music.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/18/09 at 12:37 pm

This is interesting because I think most music of this decade (like 2001-07) was party music, but not necesarilly always happy - i.e. crunk, Idol styled ballads and teenpop or post grunge leftovers. I think just in the past few months, pop music started getting more energetic and happy again (like late 2008 and moreso into this year) - like Katy Perry, Metro Station, Lady Gaga and even the more basic pop like Taylor Swift's "Love Song" seems a bit more catchy.

There's been loads of threads on this before, but I really think what we've seen recently will be kinda how '10s music will be (the early part anyway).

It is interesting though, how dark times can either mean dark or happy music (the early '90s was kinda both imo).

Written By: tv on 02/18/09 at 12:38 pm

The economy during the Clinton years were probably the best in recent history but people still wrote boring doom and gloom songs back then.

Also there was a recession just after 9/11 but there were still boy bands and rappers rapping about "bling and hos".
Ah, they were still a little bit of boybands still around after 9/11 like N"sync had a hot record in early 2002 and BK2 was a new artist in 2003-2004 maybe but they didn;t last long. Your right about the bling and the hos that rappers were still writing about that then before and after 9/11.

Not too get too far off-topic but I think the economy during the Clinton Years was good from 1994-1998 and than probably super good 1999-2000 when Britney Spears-mainia was going on. The economy was still super good when Bush was in office 2001-2007 and than Bush's last 4 or 5 month of his presidency the economy tanked big time when the housing bubble burst and Lehman Bros. went of business.

Written By: tv on 02/18/09 at 12:43 pm

This is interesting because I think most music of this decade (like 2001-07) was party music, but not necesarilly always happy - i.e. crunk, Idol styled ballads and teenpop or post grunge leftovers. I think just in the past few months, pop music started getting more energetic and happy again (like late 2008 and moreso into this year) - like Katy Perry, Metro Station, Lady Gaga and even the more basic pop like Taylor Swift's "Love Song" seems a bit more catchy.

There's been loads of threads on this before, but I really think what we've seen recently will be kinda how '10s music will be (the early part anyway).

It is interesting though, how dark times can either mean dark or happy music (the early '90s was kinda both imo).
Yeah 1990-1991 it was alot of happy music like House Music like C&C Music Fatory, and Technotronic, and Snap! Than you had pop stuff like the Cathy Dennis or Wilson Philips sort of music. MC Hammer was big in 1990-1991 too.

In 1992 it was the grunge rock that took off and originated from Seattle.

Written By: tv on 02/18/09 at 12:51 pm

Well these things usually go two ways, recessions can make music darker, i.e. early 90s, or brighter and more party oriented (early 80s), so its really a toss up as to how the recession will effect pop music.
No, the early 80's weren;t that party oriented it was catchy music like Laura Branigan, Kim Carnes, Juice Newton, Melissa Manchester, and Pat Benatar from what I remember(I was  like 3 years old then what do I know?) There was other stuff that was sort of fluffy sounding like a ballad from the band "Journey" or that "One Hundred Ways" song by Quincy Jones and James Ingram or the Patti Austin/ James Ingram song that they did together or a "SOS Band" song.

Written By: Tam on 02/18/09 at 1:15 pm

Decadeology much? ;D

Seriously, happy music has always been around, it just depends on what you personally are listening to.
And personally, when I am feeling low, I prefer upbeat "pop fluff" in order to get me into a better mood.
Why, in times such as these, do we want to hear depressing music? Would it aid us in our attempted suicide?

Just because everything pretty much sucks right now doesn't mean that the music industry has to follow suit and make all of the billboard hits reflect the negative vibe. If that is what other people want to listen to - well I say let them. But me, personally? I am going to stick to the so-called "pop fluff" which actually includes Muse, Paramore, Kevin Rudolf, Estelle, Chris Cornell, We The Kings, P!nk, Paula DeAnda, Fall Out Boy, Katy Perry, Kid Rock..... and I am sure I could go on naming bands till the cows come home. I listen to what makes me happy - not what Billboard says I have to listen to. Other people probably do the same thing too.

Tam 8)

Written By: tv on 02/18/09 at 1:21 pm

Decadeology much? ;D

Seriously, happy music has always been around, it just depends on what you personally are listening to.
And personally, when I am feeling low, I prefer upbeat "pop fluff" in order to get me into a better mood.
Why, in times such as these, do we want to hear depressing music? Would it aid us in our attempted suicide?

Just because everything pretty much sucks right now doesn't mean that the music industry has to follow suit and make all of the billboard hits reflect the negative vibe. If that is what other people want to listen to - well I say let them. But me, personally? I am going to stick to the so-called "pop fluff" which actually includes Muse, Paramore, Kevin Rudolf, Estelle, Chris Cornell, We The Kings, P!nk, Paula DeAnda, Fall Out Boy, Katy Perry, Kid Rock..... and I am sure I could go on naming bands till the cows come home. I listen to what makes me happy - not what Billboard says I have to listen to. Other people probably do the same thing too.

Tam 8)
Kevin Rudlof, The Muse, and Chris Conell are not pop-fluff too me.

I don;t know when I was down I listen too grunge back in my day guess people like their pop-fluff though when they are feeling down these days. It was just too nice too know that I wasn't the only one feeling down back in the day.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/18/09 at 1:23 pm

I respect Eminem skill as a rapper because he's such a wordsmith but I am not a fan of him because I don;t agree with his subject matter in his songs. I think "Lose Yourself" was/is a definite classic probably though.

I agree with you on this too. Personally I think he's kind of a jerk, but he's talented at rapping. I'm sure he's one of those who will still have a big fanbase just because of how popular he was in 1999-'03 or so. I think "Lose Yourself" is one of his few decent songs too.

Written By: Tam on 02/18/09 at 1:37 pm

Kevin Rudlof, The Muse, and Chris Conell are not pop-fluff too me.

I don;t know when I was down I listen too grunge back in my day guess people like their pop-fluff though when they are feeling down these days. It was just too nice too know that I wasn't the only one feeling down back in the day.

You most definitely weren't the only one feeling that way - but I think wallowing in depression with music to match just makes the situation worse. Now, when I listen to Sound Garden or Pearl Jam... it justs hops me up. I sing along like a maniac.

Chris Cornell - have you heard a couple of the songs off of his new album? Produced by Timbaland.... hardcore Sound Garden and Temple of The Dog and Audioslave fans might not approve... ;)

Written By: tv on 02/18/09 at 1:47 pm

You most definitely weren't the only one feeling that way - but I think wallowing in depression with music to match just makes the situation worse. Now, when I listen to Sound Garden or Pearl Jam... it justs hops me up. I sing along like a maniac.

Chris Cornell - have you heard a couple of the songs off of his new album? Produced by Timbaland.... hardcore Sound Garden and Temple of The Dog and Audioslave fans might not approve... ;)

I liked "Sweet Sunshower" by Chris Cornell thats like the only real hit song he had solo though. "Sweet Sunhower" was from late 1997/early 1998 maybe. Yeah I don;t think I would like Chris Cornell doing an album produced by Timbaland. It worked for Nelly Furtado though.

Written By: sonikuu on 02/20/09 at 12:49 am

Happy music will still be around for quite a bit.  Music genres popular in recessions tend to cover both ends of the spectrum - happy music and darker music.  Look at the late 70s, which saw both Disco and Punk become popular, despite being total opposites.  Look at the early 90s, which saw Grunge and Gangsta Rap starting to get popular at the exact same time that Sir Mix-a-lot was rapping about liking big butts and Right Said Fred was obsessing over their sexiness.  Simply put, in recessions, music from both styles become popular.  Some people want light, happy music to lift their spirits in dark times whereas others want darker, more serious music to suit the times they're going through.

I will say that the current trend of materialistic music made specifically for the club has a clear expiration date that is coming soon.  When millions of people are losing their houses, songs like Lil' Waynes "Got Money", with a chorus like "got money and you know it, take it out your pocket and show it" doesn't exactly fit.  The more materialistic stuff will die, but I see no reason to believe that happy music in general will disappear.  Darker forms of music may become more popular, but remember, music need not be materialistic to be happy.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/20/09 at 3:27 am

50's and 60's economy was generally great!
1980-1982- Recession
1983-1989- Great economy because of Reagan
1990-1991- Recession
1992-1994- Normal
1995-2000- Economic boom!
2000-2007- Stable, but seeing signs of trouble
2008+- Horrible  :(

God, I need a life!  ;D

Written By: Davester on 02/20/09 at 1:41 pm

Good, deep, angsty...you guys are saying pop music has no soul.  I agree, but without LyricBoy's sarcasm...

Call it what you will but artists like Nirvana, Dr. Dre., Liz Phair, &etc were subversive - if it's still okay to use the word 'subversive'.  I don't need lyrical sunshine blown up my ass, I want to hear artists that feel my pain.  It's also part of country western's charm...

Written By: Paul on 02/20/09 at 3:05 pm

Eh? Must have been the shortest 'recession' on record!

Written By: EthanM on 02/20/09 at 7:51 pm

1980-1982- Recession
1990-1991- Recession
1992-1994- Normal

God, I need a life!  ;D

The seventies didn't exist? There were some significant economic problems then.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/20/09 at 10:42 pm

I didn't forget, I just wasn't sure about the 70's.  8)

Thanks though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/09 at 8:15 am

The seventies existed all right!

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/25/09 at 11:19 am

1980-1982- Recession
1990-1991- Recession
1992-1994- Normal

God, I need a life!  ;D

For the '70s, I would say:
1970-1972- Stable, but signs of trouble (rising inflation)
1973-1975- Recession/Stagflation
1976-1979- Normal/Stagflation

There was LOTS of happy music in the '70s, though.

Written By: tv on 02/25/09 at 1:13 pm

Eh? Must have been the shortest 'recession' on record!
Yes, the early 00's recession wasn't that long or devestating as the recession we are currently having or the early 80's(1981-1982) recession. The early 90's recession was a very mild recession too although worse than the early 00's one though.

Written By: tv on 02/25/09 at 1:18 pm

1980-1982- Recession
1990-1991- Recession
1992-1994- Normal
God, I need a life!  ;D
No, not all of 2008 economically was a nightmare. It was late 2008 when the recession started when Lehman Brothers went out of business and the stock market(the Dow Jones Industrial average) dropped 700 points the same day that Lehman went of business. The only thing we were worried about till that day were the high gas prices that were around in Spring and Summer of 2008.

Check for new replies or respond here...