inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: CHIMP ATTACK!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/09 at 9:26 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7894196.stm

Travis the Chimpanzee of Stamford, CT, was shot to death by police yesterday after mauling a family friend.  That is, not a friend of a family of chimps, but a family of humans who had made Travis like a member of their family for the past decade. 

Travis was house trained.  More than that, he dined with the folks, and drank wine out of a long stem glass.  He could manipulate keys to unlock doors and let himself in and out of the home! 

The chimpanzee shares 99% of its genes with the human, but that 1% difference is crucial.  To wit, when Travis got piqued, he latched onto Mrs. Charla Nash's face and started grinding it into hamburger.  Travis' owner was so desperate she attacked the poor chimp with a knife to stop the assault.  When police arrived on the scene, Travis attacked them too, so the cops drew their weapons and snuffed the simian.

I gathered that primates were made illegal as domestic pets in Connecticut, but Travis was exempted through a grandfather claws, uh, clause because that Stamford family owned him before the legislation passed.

Travis had an acting career and appeared in commercials for Old Navy cologne and Coca-Cola.  I haven't checked for these on Youtube yet.

My first reaction to the story was, "WTF are you people thinking keeping a chimp as a pet?"

These animals are not pet material.  Travis was 200 pounds and could fight with the strength of five men.  You can teach a chimpanzee to imitate human behaviors, but they are not human, and no matter how domesticated you think you've got the primate, a bad chimp day can cost you your life.  Travis would have killed that 55-year-old woman if he had not been subdued.

It's not the chimpanzee's fault.  We cannot hold him to human standards of conduct.  I would rather have seen veterinary experts tranquilize Travis and take custody of him than the cops coming along and killing him. 
:(

Subject: Re: CHIMP ATTACK!

Written By: Jessica on 02/17/09 at 9:45 am

It's not the chimpanzee's fault.  We cannot hold him to human standards of conduct.  I would rather have seen veterinary experts tranquilize Travis and take custody of him than the cops coming along and killing him. 

True, but it's not like the cops just moseyed on by and said, "Hey look!  A chimp!  I think I'll target practice!"  The animal was basically killing a woman (a woman who had barely gotten out of the car) and then cornered a cop and was trying to attack him.  It OPENED a police car door to get at the cop, so it's not like he was just a cute cuddly animal sitting somewhere doing nothing.  It makes you wonder what would have happened if a kid had been strolling by, because it sounds like he wasn't contained very well (he had escaped before, right?).

You are right about ownership though.  Can't imagine why anyone would even entertain the idea of keeping a chimp as a pet, unless they were either 1. a biologist of some sort or 2. trying to make money off of it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/17/09 at 6:14 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7894196.stm

Travis the Chimpanzee of Stamford, CT, was shot to death by police yesterday after mauling a family friend.  That is, not a friend of a family of chimps, but a family of humans who had made Travis like a member of their family for the past decade. 

Travis was house trained.  More than that, he dined with the folks, and drank wine out of a long stem glass.  He could manipulate keys to unlock doors and let himself in and out of the home! 

The chimpanzee shares 99% of its genes with the human, but that 1% difference is crucial.  To wit, when Travis got piqued, he latched onto Mrs. Charla Nash's face and started grinding it into hamburger.  Travis' owner was so desperate she attacked the poor chimp with a knife to stop the assault.  When police arrived on the scene, Travis attacked them too, so the cops drew their weapons and snuffed the simian.

I gathered that primates were made illegal as domestic pets in Connecticut, but Travis was exempted through a grandfather claws, uh, clause because that Stamford family owned him before the legislation passed.

Travis had an acting career and appeared in commercials for Old Navy cologne and Coca-Cola.  I haven't checked for these on Youtube yet.

My first reaction to the story was, "WTF are you people thinking keeping a chimp as a pet?"

These animals are not pet material.  Travis was 200 pounds and could fight with the strength of five men.  You can teach a chimpanzee to imitate human behaviors, but they are not human, and no matter how domesticated you think you've got the primate, a bad chimp day can cost you your life.  Travis would have killed that 55-year-old woman if he had not been subdued.

It coulda been worse, Max.

Travis the Chimp coulda lived in Valparaiso Indiana.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/09 at 6:46 pm

Travis the Chimp coulda lived in Valparaiso Indiana.   ;D

You mean worse for the chimp or the chicken?
:P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/09 at 7:00 pm

True, but it's not like the cops just moseyed on by and said, "Hey look!  A chimp!  I think I'll target practice!"  The animal was basically killing a woman (a woman who had barely gotten out of the car) and then cornered a cop and was trying to attack him.  It OPENED a police car door to get at the cop, so it's not like he was just a cute cuddly animal sitting somewhere doing nothing.  It makes you wonder what would have happened if a kid had been strolling by, because it sounds like he wasn't contained very well (he had escaped before, right?).

You are right about ownership though.  Can't imagine why anyone would even entertain the idea of keeping a chimp as a pet, unless they were either 1. a biologist of some sort or 2. trying to make money off of it.

I'm not vilifying the cops here; the fault lies with the creeps keeping a chimp in a residential zone!  Like you said, the chimpanzee could have attacked a little kid.  What did they think they had, Curious George?  I wonder how they could have owned a chimp for so long without ever cluing themselves in to possible erratic and aggressive behavior of the animal?  Heck, Travis escaped in in 2003 and ran wild through the streets of Hartford for a couple of days before they caught him again. 

They have petting zoos.  Have you ever seen a chimpanzee at a petting zoo?  Right.  There's a reason for that!
::)

Written By: Jessica on 02/17/09 at 7:08 pm

I'm not vilifying the cops here; the fault lies with the creeps keeping a chimp in a residential zone!  Like you said, the chimpanzee could have attacked a little kid.  What did they think they had, Curious George?  I wonder how they could have owned a chimp for so long without ever cluing themselves in to possible erratic and aggressive behavior of the animal?  Heck, Travis escaped in in 2003 and ran wild through the streets of Hartford for a couple of days before they caught him again. 

They have petting zoos.  Have you ever seen a chimpanzee at a petting zoo?  Right.  There's a reason for that!

Bolding the part that made me snicker.  I wonder if they owned a yellow hat. :D

Dude, did you catch the headline for a video on CNN saying that he had taken Xanax before the attack?  WTF?!?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/17/09 at 7:11 pm

You mean worse for the chimp or the chicken?
:P

;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/09 at 7:13 pm

Bolding the part that made me snicker.  I wonder if they owned a yellow hat. :D

Dude, did you catch the headline for a video on CNN saying that he had taken Xanax before the attack?  WTF?!?

Yeah, that's what's so freaky.  You don't give people medicine to monkeys!  It surprises me how long these ignoramuses managed to hang on to Travis.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

Written By: statsqueen on 02/17/09 at 7:34 pm

Travis the Chimp coulda lived in Valparaiso Indiana.   ;D

I hate on the Hoosier state all the time, but my favorite uncle lived in Valpo while I was growing up.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/09 at 7:46 pm

I hate on the Hoosier state all the time, but my favorite uncle lived in Valpo while I was growing up.

Did he have a favorite chicken?
???

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/17/09 at 7:58 pm

this happened a few years ago to an older couple that raised chimps. i think 2 of them went on a rampage and bit all his fingers, his genitals, and his lips off.    They sure can be violent little buggers, but they do make funny TV commercials

Written By: Michael C. on 02/17/09 at 7:59 pm

I 've been warning People that Planet of the Apes is coming !  ;)

Written By: statsqueen on 02/17/09 at 8:22 pm

Did he have a favorite chicken?
???

Ummm, not to my knowledge.  Whenever we went to Valpo it was just to get part of a shipment of shoes for the store.

I 've been warning People that Planet of the Apes is coming !  ;)

Oohhhh, that was badddd...funny, but bad  ;D    ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/17/09 at 8:32 pm

this happened a few years ago to an older couple that raised chimps. i think 2 of them went on a rampage and bit all his fingers, his genitals, and his lips off.    They sure can be violent little buggers, but they do make funny TV commercials

Damn, that's gotta suck, having a couple of chimps bite off your nards.  :o

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/17/09 at 9:47 pm

Damn, that's gotta suck, having a couple of chimps bite off your nards.  :o
oh yeah, the chimp chewed his scrot up real good, but I thinkl he survived and was adamant along with his wife not to hurt the chimps.  if the chimp would have bit my sh*t off, I would have blasted his head off with a flippin' 12 gauge  >:( 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/17/09 at 9:53 pm

Repeat after me.....

Chimps make lousy pets.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/09 at 10:42 pm

oh yeah, the chimp chewed his scrot up real good, but I thinkl he survived and was adamant along with his wife not to hurt the chimps.  if the chimp would have bit my sh*t off, I would have blasted his head off with a flippin' 12 gauge  >:( 

Hard to do when you got no frikkin' fingers!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/17/09 at 11:03 pm

Hard to do when you got no frikkin' fingers!

;D oh yeah, i forgot about that, but my scenario was that the chimp had only bitten my nads off, and I still had all my other digits to pull trigger with

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/18/09 at 12:54 pm

I always hated the primate house at the zoo!  I thought the worse they could do was throw sh*t at you :P

Now I know my hatred was founded, chewing of face and ripping off hands :o

Right turned Clive (yah I know - he was an orangutan - primate none the less)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/09 at 11:03 pm

Travis flipped because she promised him two bunches of bananas for doing her taxes and then she only paid him one!

He had the keys to her pad and drank wine with her from long-stemmed glasses, so it seems maybe he's a chimp about town...

So did anyone notice when they said she was sleeping with him?

Now, you could say, "That's not what she meant, Maxwell!"

Are you...s-s-s-s-sure?

'Cos the whole thing is really weird and, and, and is it such a stretch for it to get a little bit weirder?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smhair1.gif

Written By: Michael C. on 02/18/09 at 11:11 pm

That was the 2nd time in the story I said "What the Hell"
The First time was when they said The cops got out of the car.The Chimp came after them.The Cops got back in the car.
and...........The Chimp OPENED THE CAR DOOR".............What the HELL!!!!

So did anyone notice when they said she was sleeping with him?

Now, you could say, "That's not what she meant, Maxwell!"

Are you...s-s-s-s-sure?

'Cos the whole thing is really weird and, and, and is it such a stretch for it to get a little bit weirder?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smhair1.gif

Written By: statsqueen on 02/19/09 at 7:35 am

That was the 2nd time in the story I said "What the Hell"
The First time was when they said The cops got out of the car.The Chimp came after them.The Cops got back in the car.
and...........The Chimp OPENED THE CAR DOOR".............What the HELL!!!!

Moral of the story:  Always lock your car doors!  ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/19/09 at 7:51 am

They are very dangerous.  Our zoo had a couple of chimps.  One day the keepers went in to feed them and one of them was attacked.  The chimp bit his finger off before they killed him.  Of course, the animal rights activists went nuts.  What the hell were they supposed to do, the chimp would have killed the keeper if they hadn't have shot him.  Dude was lucky to escape only losing a finger.  I don't think they have had chimps since. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/09 at 1:51 pm

Moral of the story:  Always lock your car doors!   ::)

http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy/original/Evil_Monkey_301.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/19/09 at 3:48 pm

;D when I saw this, it totally made me laugh while at my desk at work. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/19/09 at 3:56 pm

Holy smokes it's the Evil Monkey!!! :o  Run darn it . . run!!!

Written By: Marian on 02/21/09 at 1:35 pm

To be fair,that was actually someeone else's c himp.The couple had to follow the rules and keep him at a sacctuary because of an earlier incident.Their own chimp wasnt involved in the attack.

Written By: Marian on 02/21/09 at 1:37 pm

I think part of the problem is that they're TOO much like humans.They're individuals,and some can go off seemingly without warning,like that guy who dressed as santa and shot up that party.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/09 at 8:14 pm

To be fair,that was actually someeone else's c himp.The couple had to follow the rules and keep him at a sacctuary because of an earlier incident.Their own chimp wasnt involved in the attack.

Bedtime for Bonzo?
???

I like the bit about the chimp opening the the cruiser door to get at the cops!  It's like he was dusted or something!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing4.gif

Written By: Marian on 02/22/09 at 5:01 pm

If you're interested,there's this guy in missouri who was cnfronted at his house by 3 chimps,including Suzy,the mother of the latest attacker.The guy shot and killed suzy after she attacked and tried to kill his dog.Well,the man was convicted ofproperty damage,had to spend 30 days in jail,andhad toi write 300 apology letters to people who didnt like how he handled the situation.there is a movement to get him pardoned.I hope he gets it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/23/09 at 1:03 am

If you're interested,there's this guy in missouri who was cnfronted at his house by 3 chimps,including Suzy,the mother of the latest attacker.

You mean it runs in the family?
???

Written By: Marian on 02/23/09 at 4:42 pm

You mean it runs in the family?
???
Yup.

Written By: Marian on 02/23/09 at 4:44 pm

There is an article online about this guy.he was 17 when it happened.he was painted as a young punk who enjoyed shooting animals for fun,apparently.people were really nasty to him and his family.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/23/09 at 8:02 pm

The woman Travis attacked is still under sedation (not sure if it's a medically-induced coma or conscious sedation) and she's got half her face ripped off.  She might die.  Her brother is now trying to get custody of her case.  She probably has no living will.  She also probably didn't wake up that morning expecting to get shredded by an ape!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/23/09 at 8:08 pm

and this is how it all started  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020pTVqNJcEwAc1ujzbkF/SIG=12j8pqfi0/EXP=1235527635/**http%3A//www.roughlogic.com/buono/tarzan_narrowweb__300x459,0.jpg  I wonder if they ever had any incidents on the movie set with Cheetah the chimpanzee

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/23/09 at 8:16 pm

Me Tarzan, you face ripped off!

:-\\

Written By: Marian on 02/24/09 at 1:51 pm

The woman Travis attacked is still under sedation (not sure if it's a medically-induced coma or conscious sedation) and she's got half her face ripped off.  She might die.  Her brother is now trying to get custody of her case.  She probably has no living will.  She also probably didn't wake up that morning expecting to get shredded by an ape!
Who would have custody other wise?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/24/09 at 2:16 pm

Who would have custody other wise?

I think the term I was looking for was "guardianship" rather than "custody."  I'm not clear on what was being contested, just regurgitating what I heard on the news...

Written By: tv on 02/25/09 at 1:41 pm

This case is ridiculous I mean a 200 pound chimp living in a house as a pet. I can understand if it was a small chimp that the lady has it as a house pet but this chimp was a 200 pound chimp! I mean you cannot keep a 200 pound chimp as a pet I mean he should have been in a zoo. I also understand chimps have 98% human DNA but that 2% missing human DNA is key as the original poster of this thread said before. I mean you can;t treat a chimp like a person because he was/is not a person. I mean the owner of the chimp slept with the chimp, and took baths with him. Thats going too far in my opinion.

The lady who got her face ripped her life will never be the same again because people are not going to look at her in the same way because her face is gonna be deformed no matter how much they repair it I think. The lady who got her face ripped her family is now suing the owner of the chimp. The chimp from what I understand was also on a drug called "Xanax". You cannot have a chimp on a people's drug.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/25/09 at 8:15 pm

This case is ridiculous I mean a 200 pound chimp living in a house as a pet. I can understand if it was a small chimp that the lady has it as a house pet but this chimp was a 200 pound chimp! I mean you cannot keep a 200 pound chimp as a pet I mean he should have been in a zoo. I also understand chimps have 98% human DNA but that 2% missing human DNA is key as the original poster of this thread said before. I mean you can;t treat a chimp like a person because he was/is not a person. I mean the owner of the chimp slept with the chimp, and took baths with him. Thats going too far in my opinion.

The lady who got her face ripped her life will never be the same again because people are not going to look at her in the same way because her face is gonna be deformed no matter how much they repair it I think. The lady who got her face ripped her family is now suing the owner of the chimp. The chimp from what I understand was also on a drug called "Xanax". You cannot have a chimp on a people's drug.

Hey hear near Picksburgh we have an 11-year-old kid in the slammer who has 100% Human DNA and he blew away his stepmum with a .20-gauge shotgun.

100% Human DNA is no guarantee of ciivility...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/25/09 at 10:21 pm

Hey hear near Picksburgh we have an 11-year-old kid in the slammer who has 100% Human DNA and he blew away his stepmum with a .20-gauge shotgun.

100% Human DNA is no guarantee of ciivility...

A karma to you, fine sir!  Some might say the police should have gunned down the little bugger like they did Travis the chimp!

Reeee-member, guns don't kill people, chimpanzees kill people!
:D

Written By: Marian on 02/27/09 at 2:25 pm

I thonk there's enough common DNA that the chimp felt the owner was his mate.

Written By: karen on 03/05/09 at 12:03 pm

The victim lost her nose, upper and lower lips, eyelids and both hands.  She also sustained significant traumatic brain injury.  Her condition has been stabilised but is still critical..  The full extent of her injuries and her potential for recovery are still unclear according to the Cleveland Clinic where she is being treated.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/09 at 9:07 pm

I think after watching Oprah Winfrey interviewing Charla Nash a few days ago,I couldn't even believe she lived,she had her eyes removed so she wouldn't see what she looked like,Her nose looks like a big stump and she had to talk through a tube plus her hands looked like they went through a meat grinder,the video is horrific and scary so I forewarn you that if you have a queasy stomach,do not view it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMT-5ygCxaM

Written By: karen on 11/18/09 at 9:13 pm

she didn't have her eyes removed for that reason.  They couldn't be saved, so badly damaged in the attack.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/09 at 9:19 pm

she didn't have her eyes removed for that reason.  They couldn't be saved, so badly damaged in the attack.

But she had said that she has no recollection of the occurance,I guess that's a good thing,I wouldn't want to remember either,But I'd rather have my eyes instead of my nose or mouth.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/18/09 at 9:20 pm

She had no choice on her eyes, Howard.  They were not savable so they were removed.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/09 at 9:23 pm

She had no choice on her eyes, Howard.  They were not savable so they were removed.

Is there anybody that can donate their eyes to her,or maybe a nose or a mouth? ???

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/18/09 at 10:11 pm

They interviewed her the other morning on the Today show.  Her daughter was also interviewed, seemed like a very loving family. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/18/09 at 10:39 pm

Is there anybody that can donate their eyes to her,or maybe a nose or a mouth? ???

I think eventually they will be able to do a face transplant.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/18/09 at 11:20 pm

I don't think technology has reached the stage where they are able to restore her eyesight with a transplant.  She is probably blind for life.  Like LyricBoy said, she is going to have a face transplant.  It will be a long, painful process for her though.l

Written By: Howard on 11/19/09 at 5:36 am

I think eventually they will be able to do a face transplant.

I hope so,I want her to be able to enjoy life in her later years.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/09 at 5:38 am

I don't think technology has reached the stage where they are able to restore her eyesight with a transplant.  She is probably blind for life.  Like LyricBoy said, she is going to have a face transplant.  It will be a long, painful process for her though.

Maybe she'll need glasses but maybe someone passes away and they want to donate a nose or a mouth to her,at least bring one of her senses back.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/09 at 5:39 am

They interviewed her the other morning on the Today show.  Her daughter was also interviewed, seemed like a very loving family. 

Where was her daughter at the time she was attacked?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/19/09 at 7:58 am

Where was her daughter at the time she was attacked?

I think she was at school at the time...

Maybe she'll need glasses but maybe someone passes away and they want to donate a nose or a mouth to her,at least bring one of her senses back.

They already can do nose transplants.  But I don't think you can do a mouth transplant without doing pretty much the whole face.  :-\\

As to her eyes, I suspect that the optic nerve connections were completely shredded and so nothing to connect donor eyes to.  :-[

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/19/09 at 12:50 pm

Chimpanzees can be dangerous. Sure they may be similar to humans, but they can attack very hard!

Written By: Step-chan on 11/19/09 at 2:06 pm

I live in Indiana and am not too found of it myself.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/09 at 2:46 pm

Chimpanzees can be dangerous. Sure they may be similar to humans, but they can attack very hard!

Sandra Herold should be held responsible!  >:(

Written By: Howard on 11/19/09 at 2:48 pm

They already can do nose transplants.  But I don't think you can do a mouth transplant without doing pretty much the whole face.  :-\\

As to her eyes, I suspect that the optic nerve connections were completely shredded and so nothing to connect donor eyes to.  :-[

Man,that's sad,Now she'll never know what she looks like. :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/19/09 at 6:10 pm

I live in Indiana and am not too found of it myself.

I lived in both Portage and South Bend and I liked both places.  My best friend lived in Valpo.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/19/09 at 8:55 pm

Starting to sound like that Cat Stevens song there!
;)

Written By: Step-chan on 11/19/09 at 10:22 pm

I lived in both Portage and South Bend and I liked both places.  My best friend lived in Valpo.

I misspelled "fond"...  :D

In my case, it's just some of the more recent things going on here in Indy. But that is going off topic to much. ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/20/09 at 6:41 am

So,what would you do if you were Sandra Herold right now? I'd flee the country cause I wouldn't want cameras following me asking questions and stuff putting Charla Nash's picture in The Star or Enquirer and start exploiting it and I guarantee that'll happen within the next couple of years articles saying "Chimp Travis comes back to haunt Sandra" or "Sandra killed her own best friend",so on and so forth.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/20/09 at 7:49 am

So,what would you do if you were Sandra Herold right now? I'd flee the country cause I wouldn't want cameras following me asking questions and stuff putting Charla Nash's picture in The Star or Enquirer and start exploiting it and I guarantee that'll happen within the next couple of years articles saying "Chimp Travis comes back to haunt Sandra" or "Sandra killed her own best friend",so on and so forth.

Well as I heard in the news accounts, Ms. Herold is pretty much washing her hands of the whole thing.  She claims that since Nash was "an employee", all that Nash is entitled to is a Workmen's Compensation claim.

I think that Nash's lawyers will blow a hole through that argument.

If Herold were a decent person, she'd be ponying up whatever money she has to help pay for Nash's injuries.

Written By: Howard on 11/20/09 at 2:17 pm

Well as I heard in the news accounts, Ms. Herold is pretty much washing her hands of the whole thing.  She claims that since Nash was "an employee", all that Nash is entitled to is a Workmen's Compensation claim.

I think that Nash's lawyers will blow a hole through that argument.

If Herold were a decent person, she'd be ponying up whatever money she has to help pay for Nash's injuries.

How much will everything cost if she had a new face?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/20/09 at 3:58 pm

How much will everything cost if she had a new face?  ???

My guess, all-in, we're looking well over $2 million.

I wonder who is footing the bill as it is?

Written By: Howard on 11/20/09 at 9:46 pm

WOW!  :o Good Lord! 2million Dollars? :o

I'll pray that she gets a new face.And after watching over 100 videos on Charla,I can't get her image out of my head. :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/20/09 at 11:45 pm

I'd make a series of public service announcements saying why it's not a good idea to let your neighbors giant apes as pets!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/borg_ani.gif

Written By: Howard on 11/21/09 at 6:32 am

I'd make a series of public service announcements saying why it's not a good idea to let your neighbors giant apes as pets!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/borg_ani.gif

And how come Michael Jackson owned Bubbles The Chimp and never got his face eaten alive or what about Elvis too? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/09 at 8:22 am

And how come Michael Jackson owned Bubbles The Chimp and never got his face eaten alive or what about Elvis too? ???

Maybe that's what really happened to Michael's nose...  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/21/09 at 12:56 pm

Toosh!
;D

The thing about Bubbles is he was a juvenile.  That's what the cute chimps are, the one's you see in the commercials and stuff.  The killer chimp in this case was a veteran of numerous TV ads.  It's one thing when the chimp is five, quite another when he's eleven and hitting sexual maturity. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/09 at 3:27 pm

Toosh!
;D

The thing about Bubbles is he was a juvenile.  That's what the cute chimps are, the one's you see in the commercials and stuff.  The killer chimp in this case was a veteran of numerous TV ads.  It's one thing when the chimp is five, quite another when he's eleven and hitting sexual maturity. 

Just think of the hubbub that would have erupted if the chimp had attacked Morgan Fairchild in that Old Navy ad that he did.  :o

Written By: Howard on 11/22/09 at 7:02 am

Just think of the hubbub that would have erupted if the chimp had attacked Morgan Fairchild in that Old Navy ad that he did.  :o

Wow,don't even get me started of what might've happen to the chimp.  :o

Written By: Howard on 11/22/09 at 7:03 am

Hey LB,we'll never know.

Written By: Marian on 11/22/09 at 3:42 pm

she lives in Connecticut,so possibly the taxpayers there.

Written By: Marian on 11/22/09 at 3:42 pm

Hey LB,we'll never know.
That one's a few years old at least ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/22/09 at 8:12 pm

what would she see if she had a face now?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/09 at 12:47 am

I'd make the chimp get a job and pay.  He could hand out popcorn and balloons to all the kids around the holidays.  Now, you better not freak out on anybody again 'cos it'll just get added to your tab.    I'll make you do frat parties if you don't behave!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Written By: Howard on 11/23/09 at 5:31 am

I'd make the chimp get a job and pay.  He could hand out popcorn and balloons to all the kids around the holidays.  Now, you better not freak out on anybody again 'cos it'll just get added to your tab.    I'll make you do frat parties if you don't behave!

and what if the chimp could talk?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/23/09 at 7:37 am

Didn't the cops blow that chimp away? ???

Written By: karen on 11/23/09 at 8:02 am

Didn't the cops blow that chimp away? ???

Yes

what would she see if she had a face now?  ???

nothing Howard.  Her eyes don't work - new eyes will not work.  She does not have that part any more, it cannot be replaced

Written By: Howard on 11/23/09 at 4:19 pm

Yes

nothing Howard.  Her eyes don't work - new eyes will not work.  She does not have that part any more, it cannot be replaced

What about "prosthetic" eyes?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/23/09 at 4:33 pm

Well they could give her a set of "glass eyes", I suppose.  But to date nobody have invented an "artificial eye".  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/23/09 at 4:34 pm

See attached link.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20091123/News01/911239926/1130

Yesterday a 10-month old baby was attacked by a pet monkey in La Porte IN.  Fortunately the attack only lasted 15 seconds and does nt appear to have caused serious damage.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/23/09 at 5:27 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/BangHead.gif

Written By: Howard on 11/24/09 at 3:02 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/BangHead.gif

Sorry,I guess that was a stupid question. :(

Written By: Howard on 11/24/09 at 3:03 pm

Well they could give her a set of "glass eyes", I suppose.  But to date nobody have invented an "artificial eye".   :-\\

I feel bad for her,I wish there was a way that could've been prevented. :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/24/09 at 4:42 pm

Sorry,I guess that was a stupid question. :(

That's not a stupid question, Howard.  One of these days I bet that a prosthetic eye will be developed.  Most major scientific innovations have been developed because somebody asked "the stupid question" that turned out to not be so stupid after all.

Nevertheless, it's too bad that this lady was blinded.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 11/25/09 at 6:22 am

What could they do about her nose and mouth,On The Oprah Winfrey Show I saw her using those little things that made her talk,She wasn't talking well but you could hear her slightly through that little thing she was using.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/25/09 at 7:16 am

What could they do about her nose and mouth,On The Oprah Winfrey Show I saw her using those little things that made her talk,She wasn't talking well but you could hear her slightly through that little thing she was using.

I think a face transplant will address the nose and mouth...

Written By: Howard on 11/25/09 at 7:01 pm

What about a voice box?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/26/09 at 9:00 am

What about a voice box?  ???

I heard her talking on TV, so I think her voice box is more or less intact.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/09 at 8:05 pm

Do you think Sandra Herold will serve any jail time?  ???

Written By: danootaandme on 11/27/09 at 5:36 am

Do you think Sandra Herold will serve any jail time?  ???

Doubt it, she had all the permits and stuff.  I also think that the damages against her will be mitigated by the fact that Charla had known for years that there was a big problem with the chimp, but still got in her car and went over the house to help Sandra when she called saying she was having a problem.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/09 at 2:51 pm

Doubt it, she had all the permits and stuff.  I also think that the damages against her will be mitigated by the fact that Charla had known for years that there was a big problem with the chimp, but still got in her car and went over the house to help Sandra when she called saying she was having a problem.

Didn't Sandra have any other friends?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/27/09 at 3:59 pm

Didn't Sandra have any other friends?   ???

Well, other than the injured lady, and Nash the Chimp, I doubt it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/09 at 12:10 am

Sandra had nooooo business housing that chimpanzee there. These people don't seem to get something about wild animals.  Sometimes they can seem very sweet and docile and then when you don't expect it, they can tear your head off.  This is certainly true of Caninae (like people who try to make wolves into family dogs) and Hominidae (such as our raging chimp).  If my neighbor had a full-grown male chimp who had his own key to the house, I would be afraid, very afraid, and I would be making a stink to local authorities until the beast was removed.  A chimp in the suburbs is a disaster waiting to happen.  Okay, that lady had some knowledge of chimpanzees--certainly more than I--but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, especially when the chimp-know-it-all lady is too loony-toons to understand you don't keep a chimp in a thickly settled area!

There's a case here.  I'm not a lawyer, but there's a case here, oh yes, and I would not blame Chala's family for going and getting a lawyer who knows how to present the case.
>:(

Written By: Howard on 11/28/09 at 6:33 am

Well, other than the injured lady, and Nash the Chimp, I doubt it.

She must've been a lonely old soul.  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/28/09 at 6:41 am

Sandra had nooooo business housing that chimpanzee there. These people don't seem to get something about wild animals.  Sometimes they can seem very sweet and docile and then when you don't expect it, they can tear your head off.  This is certainly true of Caninae (like people who try to make wolves into family dogs) and Hominidae (such as our raging chimp).  If my neighbor had a full-grown male chimp who had his own key to the house, I would be afraid, very afraid, and I would be making a stink to local authorities until the beast was removed.  A chimp in the suburbs is a disaster waiting to happen.  Okay, that lady had some knowledge of chimpanzees--certainly more than I--but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, especially when the chimp-know-it-all lady is too loony-toons to understand you don't keep a chimp in a thickly settled area!

There's a case here.  I'm not a lawyer, but there's a case here, oh yes, and I would not blame Chala's family for going and getting a lawyer who knows how to present the case.
>:(

I agree with everything you say, but Charla, in the interviews, said she was well aware for years of how dangerous the chimp was, but she still went over to the house when she was called because the chimp was causing a problem.  If I had a friend with an out of control animal that I knew was dangerous and was called to help control it I would have told them stuff it. I don't visit homes with people who think it is cool to have pit bulls or any such animals.  Charla will get something, but like I said, a good lawyer, because of Charlas own words, will be able to mitigate the damages because Charla knew the danger, but went over anyway.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/09 at 9:57 pm

I agree with everything you say, but Charla, in the interviews, said she was well aware for years of how dangerous the chimp was, but she still went over to the house when she was called because the chimp was causing a problem.  If I had a friend with an out of control animal that I knew was dangerous and was called to help control it I would have told them stuff it. I don't visit homes with people who think it is cool to have pit bulls or any such animals.  Charla will get something, but like I said, a good lawyer, because of Charlas own words, will be able to mitigate the damages because Charla knew the danger, but went over anyway.

I tend to doubt Charla would have gone over there if she knew she'd end up looking like she went through a saw mill.  If I were the chimp owner's lawyer, I'd make your argument. 

The thing is, it seems it was legal to keep a chimpanzee as a pet in that town because nobody thought anybody would keep a chimp as a pet.  I think this case should set some precedents. 

Nothing against chimps, it's just that a chimp isn't a domesticated animal.  My family had a big German Shepherd.  She could have killed me in seconds, but that behavior was bred out of her genetic coding 10,000 years ago.  That makes all the difference.

Written By: Howard on 11/29/09 at 5:30 am

Why couldn't Sandra give the chimp something else besides a pill and tea? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/29/09 at 8:23 am

Why couldn't Sandra give the chimp something else besides a pill and tea? ???

'Cause she's a butt wadd.  :-X

Written By: danootaandme on 11/29/09 at 9:43 am

'Cause she's a butt wadd.   :-X

and that says it all

Written By: Howard on 11/29/09 at 2:55 pm

Maybe she could've given Travis a banana.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/29/09 at 5:10 pm

Maybe she could've given Travis a banana.

Good point.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/09 at 12:47 am

Good point.

Reminds me of my joke -- which nobody else seems to think is funny: Bicurious George.

The Man in the Yellow Hat says, "Hey, that's no banana!"

Written By: Howard on 11/30/09 at 5:35 am

Reminds me of my joke -- which nobody else seems to think is funny: Bicurious George.

The Man in the Yellow Hat says, "Hey, that's no banana!"

;D I thought that was funny.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/09 at 9:18 pm

;D I thought that was funny.

OK, I get a vote from Howard.  Thanks Howard!
;)

Written By: Howard on 05/17/10 at 1:28 pm

http://thestamfordtimes.com/story/486250

Well It seems like she'll be getting a new face but right now,they're starting with the nose and working on the mouth,This is the story so far.

Written By: Marian on 05/21/10 at 12:03 pm

http://thestamfordtimes.com/story/486250

Well It seems like she'll be getting a new face but right now,they're starting with the nose and working on the mouth,This is the story so far.
She'll still be blind.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/10 at 1:48 pm

She'll still be blind.

But I'm hoping someone can donate eyes for her or she'll wind up wearing glasses for the rest of her life.

Written By: karen on 05/21/10 at 2:42 pm

But I'm hoping someone can donate eyes for her or she'll wind up wearing glasses for the rest of her life.

Howard

She has no eyes

She has no optic nerve for donated eyes to attach to

She will never be able to see

Is that clear enough?

Written By: Howard on 05/21/10 at 2:43 pm

Howard

She has no eyes

She has no optic nerve for donated eyes to attach to

She will never be able to see

Is that clear enough?

Yes!  ::)

Written By: karen on 05/21/10 at 3:00 pm

Don't roll your eyes.  the situation has been explained at least once before in this thread

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/10 at 12:50 am

Oh, he seemed like he was such a nice chimp!

If you got a full-grown chimp living in a suburban subdision, I ain't going near your place, and better not let that chimp run wild, including giving him a key the house.  Next time the authorities pick him up, will he understand not to tear the place apart?
:o

Written By: Howard on 05/22/10 at 6:25 am

Oh, he seemed like he was such a nice chimp!

If you got a full-grown chimp living in a suburban subdision, I ain't going near your place, and better not let that chimp run wild, including giving him a key the house.  Next time the authorities pick him up, will he understand not to tear the place apart?

or else he'll do karate chop! http://www.maniacworld.com/karate-chimp.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/10 at 9:58 pm

or else he'll do karate chop! http://www.maniacworld.com/karate-chimp.jpg

That thing could KILL you in under 60 seconds!

Written By: Howard on 05/23/10 at 6:33 am

That thing could KILL you in under 60 seconds!

So it's best to not go anywhere near it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/24/10 at 6:55 pm

I think after watching Oprah Winfrey interviewing Charla Nash a few days ago,I couldn't even believe she lived,she had her eyes removed so she wouldn't see what she looked like,Her nose looks like a big stump and she had to talk through a tube plus her hands looked like they went through a meat grinder,the video is horrific and scary so I forewarn you that if you have a queasy stomach,do not view it.

Call me a wuss, I can't bring myself to watch it. I saw this on Oprah when it first aired and I had to change the channel after about 20 seconds, seeing that veil was enough for me.

All I can say is that after this tragedy, I don't want to be within 1000 yards of a chimpanzee unless there's glass or bars between us.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 05/25/10 at 5:19 am

Call me a wuss, I can't bring myself to watch it. I saw this on Oprah when it first aired and I had to change the channel after about 20 seconds, seeing that veil was enough for me.

All I can say is that after this tragedy, I don't want to be within 1000 yards of a chimpanzee unless there's glass or bars between us.  :-\\

Me neither,I know what you're saying,chimpanzees are wild animals.  :o

Written By: lola669 on 05/25/10 at 7:32 am

Baby chimps are cute, but grown chimps are scary. 

People think it's ok to get a baby chimp and raise it (Hulk Hogan's ex-wife had one) but they're wild animals.  They shouldn't be kept as pets or as a replacement for children. 

I hate monkeys too.  I hate seeing people dress them up like children.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/10 at 2:35 pm

Michael Jackson had Bubbles The Chimp.

Written By: karen on 05/25/10 at 9:51 pm

Sandra Herold who owned Travis the chimp has died from a ruptured aortic aneurism

http://www.ctnow.com/news/connecticut/hc-chimp-attack-owner-dies-20100525,0,4218555.story

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/10 at 11:01 pm

Sandra Herold who owned Travis the chimp has died from a ruptured aortic aneurism

http://www.ctnow.com/news/connecticut/hc-chimp-attack-owner-dies-20100525,0,4218555.story

I'm sorry for her losses, but she set herself up for trouble when she adopted that chimp.  The lady Travis the Chimp mauled is still living with her disfiguring injuries. 
BTW, even juvenile chimps can shred you if they get mad.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/10 at 6:27 am

RIP Sandra,You and Travis are now at peace.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/10 at 6:28 am

I'm sorry for her losses, but she set herself up for trouble when she adopted that chimp.  The lady Travis the Chimp mauled is still living with her disfiguring injuries. 
BTW, even juvenile chimps can shred you if they get mad.

But now she won't be able to see the grave,I feel bad for her. :(

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/28/10 at 10:54 pm

Don't roll your eyes.  the situation has been explained at least once before in this thread

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll127/Doogie2K/icee.jpg

Written By: Howard on 05/29/10 at 6:34 am

http://abcnews.go.com/US/charla-nash-woman-mauled-chimp-disbelief-sandra-herolds/story?id=10747576

Written By: Howard on 01/26/11 at 1:37 pm

It looks like that Charla Nash could be in the process of a face transplant soon.

Written By: Howard on 06/10/11 at 6:27 am

Charla Nash will be in the process of getting a new face.

Written By: karen on 06/10/11 at 9:02 am

Charla Nash will be in the process of getting a new face.

as in, you've definitely read a news item saying this, or you just think it might happen?

MTA: I found an article saying she's had the surgery in a Boston hospital

http://www.courant.com/health/connecticut/hc-charla-nash-face-transplant-20110610,0,6273071.story

Written By: Howard on 06/10/11 at 7:20 pm

as in, you've definitely read a news item saying this, or you just think it might happen?

MTA: I found an article saying she's had the surgery in a Boston hospital

http://www.courant.com/health/connecticut/hc-charla-nash-face-transplant-20110610,0,6273071.story

heard it on the news.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/11 at 10:04 pm

Wow!  That's intense!  I hope Mrs. Culp continues to recover.  The damage was devastating.  She's lucky to be alive.

Caution -- disturbing image.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/11 at 11:19 pm

*BUMP*

Written By: Howard on 06/18/11 at 6:19 am

http://s2.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20110614&t=2&i=438874888&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=2011-06-14T160025Z_01_BTRE75D18GT00_RTROPTP_0_FACE-TRANSPLANT-CHIMPANZEE

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Charla Nash, who had her face ripped off by a 200-pound chimpanzee in February 2009, has signed a deal to tell her story in a documentary that will likely air on NBC this fall.

Nash recently successfully underwent a face transplant, which was documented on the network's "Today" show. Her double hand transplant was not successful, and they were removed shortly after.

Nash spoke with Meredith Vieira about her attack in November 2009. Around the same time, she revealed her mutilated face on "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

Nash has worn a veil since the attack, which left her blind and without eyes, nose, lips or hands. Sandra Herold, who owned the chimpanzee who attacked her, died May 26,2010 of an aortic aneurysm.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/11 at 7:16 pm

That image would have given me nightmares when I was a kid!

Written By: Howard on 06/18/11 at 7:42 pm

That image would have given me nightmares when I was a kid!

You wouldn't that terrifying you to death. :o

Written By: karen on 08/12/11 at 2:49 am

Photos have been released of Charla Nash after her face transplant

http://www.courant.com/health/connecticut/hc-charla-nash-face-transplant-0812-20110811,0,6518854.story

Written By: Howard on 08/12/11 at 6:30 am

Photos have been released of Charla Nash after her face transplant

http://www.courant.com/health/connecticut/hc-charla-nash-face-transplant-0812-20110811,0,6518854.story

Her face looks great,can't wait till she sees again.The doctors did a wonderful job,It must've been a very difficult 2 years for Charla.

Written By: karen on 08/12/11 at 1:45 pm

Her face looks great,can't wait till she sees again.The doctors did a wonderful job,It must've been a very difficult 2 years for Charla.

She is still blind - and always will be.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/11 at 7:33 pm

Could she available for new eyes Karen?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/11 at 11:10 pm

Could she available for new eyes Karen?  ???

Sadly no.  Medical technology hasn't come far enough to restore eyesight to one whose eyes are as damaged as Karen's.  It's possible in the future but extremely unlikely her lifetime.

Written By: karen on 08/13/11 at 4:13 am

Sadly no.  Medical technology hasn't come far enough to restore eyesight to one whose eyes are as damaged as Karen's.  It's possible in the future but extremely unlikely her lifetime.

I'm hoping you meant to type Charla!

Written By: Howard on 08/13/11 at 6:38 am

She could bring one of those seeing eye dogs with her wherever she goes,That's one idea. ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/14/11 at 1:24 am

I'm hoping you meant to type Charla!

Oh...I mean, Charla, of course!
:-[

Written By: Howard on 08/14/11 at 6:36 am

http://freenewsandphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/charla-nash-photos.jpg

This face looks nice,progress is being made slowly but surely.^

Written By: Marian on 08/16/11 at 1:31 pm

Stevie Wonder would be interested in a possible remedy for that.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/11 at 7:12 pm

Stevie Wonder would be interested in a possible remedy for that.

Weren't they gonna fix Stevie's eyes at one time? ???

Written By: Howard on 03/23/14 at 3:43 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/charla-nash-victim-travis-chimp-pleads-sue-state-connecticut-article-1.1729472

Here is the latest on Charla Nash

Check for new replies or respond here...