inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Am I the only person from a lettered generation who really hates Facebook?

Written By: Fairee07 on 02/23/09 at 10:17 pm

And no it's not because I don't have any "friends" on there.

I just see it as a paradox: while it's suppose to be a social-networking tool, I just find it isolates society more. I feel that we're interacting more but it's all behind a computer screen which is obviously not the same as face-to-face time or even over the phone. And I know this sounds strange but I feel it loses the romance of those sweet memories of old childhood or highschool friends and acquaintances that we have in the back of our minds because when we do meet up with them again, it won't be the same thrill since they're profiles are easily accessible on the web at anytime.

For that matter, I'm pretty old fashion and not very techy at all. I still have a love/hate relationship with computers, avoid texting, and wonder why I even bother going on HERE (lol).

There are other things that I don't like about the website including the feeling that my privacy is invaded (I'm at least anonymous on here), the way the format is laid out (I feel it's getting worse!), people responding less to their actually email accounts, notifications in my email that one of my friends took a quiz, and then having to fill out an application to do the quiz!

Would like to deactivate my account for good but it's almost like being a leper if I don't have an account.

Subject: Re: Am I the only person from a lettered generation who really hates Facebook?

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/09 at 10:27 pm

I used to hate Facebook only becuase it isn't like MySpace.  Facebook doesn't allow HTML, so everyone's page looks the same.  I boycotted Facebook for the longest time, until I discovered that pretty much everyone at my work had one, so I decided to get one.  I don't really do much with it, other than see what all my friends are up to lol

Subject: Re: Am I the only person from a lettered generation who really hates Facebook?

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/23/09 at 11:04 pm

Even though I like it for basically smaller things - like seeing what everyone's doing, having smalltalk with people and doing surveys or just sharing pictures, etc....I think Fairee makes some good points too. I think reliance on technology does kinda isolate us if that's the main thing we're doing. Facebook and Myspace are cooler like for out of town people, but for local friends, yeah I'd rather just hang out with them in person. I kinda can see both sides of it.

Written By: woops on 02/23/09 at 11:40 pm

Not fond of Facebook & MySpace for many reasons (ie spammers, sickos, jerks)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/24/09 at 2:39 pm

I don't "hate" it per se.  I just don't have an account.  Something I ran into with Livejournal, if I don't even known you, how can I call you friend?  Would Will Rogers have a Facebook account?  Anyway,  I had "friends" on Livejournal merely because they listed John Cage in their interests, but I never had any contact with them.  Friends redefined.

On a related subject, I don't consider myself a Luddite or a low-tech guy, but I don't have a laptop or a blackberry either.  I go over to the university campus and it seems like every student has a laptop, a blackberry, a cell phone that hooks to the Internet, takes satellite photos, and communicates with dead souls, and four other cyber-gadgets I can't identify.  I'm not against any other these things, I just don't have the bucks to buy them!  I don't know if want a blackberry in the first place, but I'll get a laptop when I can afford one. 

Some of these gadgets might have a more limited lifespan than we thought.  For instance, Plasma television is on the skids. 

The thing about Facebook and Myspace is they've passed critical mass for the lettered generational obsession: look@me.com!  Once "everybody" has an account, you circle back 360 degrees back to anonymity!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/uhoh3.gif

I post the playlists for my radio program to my blogspot and send them to interested parties.  I like to link to the record labels, and in the case of self-released artists, to their websites.  However, I will not link to MySpace pages.  Nothing to do with Newscorp owning MySpace.  It's just that I hate MySpace as a music listener.  The artists like MySpace because it's cheap and it makes posting music files facile.  However, unlike a website with a sole domain name, MySpace always wants YOU to f**king join!  Thus, if I want to tell the artist how much I liked Sonata X and I played it on my program, I can't just email him, I have to sign up for MySpace.  Hell no I won't!  I had a MySpace once and I did away with it because it was a pain in the ass.  I say the artist makes a choice.  He puts forth the effort to get his own domain name or he does not get to know from me that I like his music...and I might be one of ten people outside his circle of colleagues who recognizes his potential!
::)

Written By: Davester on 02/24/09 at 6:32 pm

Dang, I wish I could remember the top twenty signs you're addicted to facebook.  They were read out on the local classic rock station...

One of them was you change your online "mood" at least twice a day...

So I have no facebook account but I did join MySpace, initially to keep in touch with my son's step sister but ended-up staying because I enjoy messaging with some old friends/aquaintances from school.  Don't even do that anymore.  Posted two blogs that nobody reads anyway...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/24/09 at 7:09 pm

I like Facebook.  I have been able to find a lot of friends from high school and from my past that I don't think I would have found any other way.  I found a whole group of kids from my neighboorhood growing up, and right now we're planning a reunion.  I also found a lady that used to babysit me when I was in Kindergarten - I loved her, and I always wondered what happened to her, and now we've become friends as adults.  It's certainly not for everyone, but for me it has been a really fun and positive experience. 

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/24/09 at 8:40 pm

I don't have one either,nor Myspace. To be honest i would probably would love it when i was 15 or so,but now i find it all a bit ridiculous.  If i lost contact with old acquaintances is 'cause mostly i've wanted it that way.
Those places are nothing but popularity contests, who has more friends, who has the coolest page, it's high school all over again.

Plus...who the fudge want to be friends with that Tom guy ::)

Written By: Jessica on 02/24/09 at 8:47 pm

Those places are nothing but popularity contests, who has more friends, who has the coolest page, it's high school all over again.

Sorta like this website! :D

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/24/09 at 8:57 pm

Sorta like this website! :D

Nah. What i like about this board that we're all pretty much freaks and geeks.

Written By: Fairee07 on 02/24/09 at 9:47 pm

Nah. What i like about this board that we're all pretty much freaks and geeks.

Yep (lol!), and I agree with Dizzy that Facebook is like highschool all over again---just let me move on and be an adult!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/24/09 at 10:06 pm

I have both Facebook and Myspace.  I become tired of them too easily.  The trouble is I feel it I don't sign in every once in awhile people are think somethings happened.  In the Spring, Summer and Fall I'm hardly ever in.  As for being of the lettered generation, I still write letters. :)

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/09 at 10:48 pm

Plus...who the fudge want to be friends with that Tom guy ::)

So you can spam his e-mail and call him nasty names :D

Written By: joeman on 02/25/09 at 8:47 pm

I don't like myspace and a little of my hatred is the fact that they are owned by FOX.

I do have a facebook account, but it is for family and close friends and I barely use that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/25/09 at 10:49 pm

I started another Livejournal account in lieu of a spiral notebook.  Then I see this note to me:

"You've only made 0 friends!"

I did my best Clint Eastwood:  "Yeah...well, I ain't here to make friends!"

Of course, in cyberspace, no one can see you sneer!

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/01/09 at 12:01 am

And now we have Twitter to battle with. Whatever happened with face-to-face conversations with people from close to home? Why are these PC nuts forcing us to communicate with strangers who might be doing us more harm than good? I have plenty of people at work I can associate with. I just choose not to communicate with all f them. And I don't need any of these Facebook idiots using my information for their own personal gain.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/09 at 12:43 am

And now we have Twitter to battle with. Whatever happened with face-to-face conversations with people from close to home? Why are these PC nuts forcing us to communicate with strangers who might be doing us more harm than good? I have plenty of people at work I can associate with. I just choose not to communicate with all f them. And I don't need any of these Facebook idiots using my information for their own personal gain.

Exactly.  That's why you and I are not here!
;)

Speaking of personal information, a friend of mine invited me to join Flickster or some sh*t because she has some art installation posted there.  OK, cool, I'll look at your art work.  Then I link to the site but before I can even see what my friend wants me to look at, I have to fill out a fudging form like I was sitting in a doctor's office!  Beyond identity security, it gets to a point where you just don't wanna fill out any more fudging forms, and you don't wanna enter a user name and password/confirm password.  Jeee-zus!!!  Next time I see my friend the artist, I'll just tell her to get her laptop and show me what she wanted me to see if she really wants me to see it!

Check for new replies or respond here...