inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NASA Rocket In The Drink...

Written By: Red Ant on 02/24/09 at 2:35 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7907602.stm?lss

Nothing quite like a $280 million dollar fireworks display. I wonder if they are going to ask for a bailout as well.

signature banned as well

Subject: Re: NASA Rocket In The Drink...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/24/09 at 7:21 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7907602.stm?lss

Nothing quite like a $280 million dollar fireworks display. I wonder if they are going to ask for a bailout as well.

signature banned as well

It ain't gonna be cheap to fish that thing out of the antarctic depths either.  At least when the blow up in outer space we don't have to pay to fetch 'em!
::)

Written By: Red Ant on 02/24/09 at 8:10 pm

It ain't gonna be cheap to fish that thing out of the antarctic depths either.  At least when the blow up in outer space we don't have to pay to fetch 'em!
::)

I don't imagine there's much left to salvage. At least there was no one on board the rocket, and it crashed in an unpopulated area.

signature banned as well

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/24/09 at 10:20 pm

Ouch, that looks very expensive. :o

NASA has been shooting off rockets now for nearly 50 years, and I understand accidents happen, but they're happening a far too often for NASA in past years.

Isn't time to have developed or found another way of getting things like this into orbit than to light a controlled bomb underneath it? (well thats what it is!)  ::)
These things cost too much money, and like this one, actually had too many great benefits to offer than to just go "boom".

Its time we forced NASA to come up with some more innovation for getting craft into space, and attached budgets to satisfying that edict.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/24/09 at 10:39 pm

I don't imagine there's much left to salvage. At least there was no one on board the rocket, and it crashed in an unpopulated area.

signature banned as well

Oh, I was thinking...gosh, this is embarrassing!

:-[

I was thinking since we made a mess, so we'll go clean it up!

When the Penguin Space Program f**ks up, they'll say, we'll get our rocket our of you field when you get yours out of our ice!

Written By: Red Ant on 02/24/09 at 11:40 pm

Oh, I was thinking...gosh, this is embarrassing!

:-
Ouch, that looks very expensive. :o

NASA has been shooting off rockets now for nearly 50 years, and I understand accidents happen, but they're happening a far too often for NASA in past years.

Isn't time to have developed or found another way of getting things like this into orbit than to light a controlled bomb underneath it? (well thats what it is!)  ::)
These things cost too much money, and like this one, actually had too many great benefits to offer than to just go "boom".

Its time we forced NASA to come up with some more innovation for getting craft into space, and attached budgets to satisfying that edict.

At this point we're pretty much reliant on propellents of some type, whether they be solid or liquid. I vaguely recall talk a while ago of different means of achieving orbit, and one was EMP (electromagnetic propulsion). I can't imagine the cost or power demands of building a long enough ramp to launch even ball bearing into orbit, let alone a meaningful payload. The best way to get something into orbit is still by lighting an enormous fire under its ass.

Getting into orbit is a zero-error business. Either you make it or you have a half-billion dollar fireworks display. Fixing things like Apollo 13 or Hubble are the rare exceptions. As long as rockets and craft are designed and made by people, they will occasionally go *boom*.

I agree with ya that NASA needs to get its stuff together though. Their cost overruns alone are hideous, even for a government agency.

signature banned as well

Check for new replies or respond here...