inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What did you use your tax refund on this year?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/25/09 at 7:57 am

Did you use it to get caught up on bills? Did you splurge for something you've been wanting?

We are using ours to get caught up on some bills, some toward a mini trip this summer, and the one thing we are allowing ourselves to buy (entertainment-wise) is a Wii and Wii Fit. I'm excited to get that! :)

Subject: Re: What did you use your tax refund on this year?

Written By: Red Ant on 02/25/09 at 10:23 am

Refund, lol. I'm hoping I have enough to cover what I have to pay. 1099...

signature banned as well

Written By: snozberries on 02/25/09 at 12:10 pm

I bought a ticket to my event in LA this coming April

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/25/09 at 8:16 pm

Ain't got no refund!!  :-\\

Written By: NbC on 02/26/09 at 4:08 am

Our government is in a very sorry financial state at the moment so I don't expect my tax refund anytime this year.  >:(

Typically I save half and spend the other half.  I am interested in putting together another computer for myself,  so I will probably splurge on that. 

Written By: statsqueen on 02/26/09 at 7:36 am

Refund? What refund?  Usually I get a couple hundred, but this year (thanks to a couple of testing companies who made me self employed--since when?) I have to pay over $400.  Luckily my state refund (which would have been nice to use on bills and to take M somewhere for break) will cover the majority, but I still have to come up with more than I've got.......

Written By: danootaandme on 02/26/09 at 8:41 am

Don't expect much.  They are deducting whatever money you received last in year in the stimulus check.  After adding the fed and state returns I will get a grand total of $127.

Written By: Jessica on 02/26/09 at 9:54 am

Not a damned thing.  We don't file taxes, because on paper, Rice Cube doesn't make money.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/26/09 at 9:57 am

Not a damned thing.  We don't file taxes, because on paper, Rice Cube doesn't make money.

I make money, but even if we filed taxes we wouldn't have to pay because I fall below the poverty line :D  We don't file because we have absolutely no tax liability.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/26/09 at 10:46 am

I set it aside to pay my siding payments this year.  I figured it would be better to save it that way and make interest since my siding is interest free unless I pay late.  Gotta love dealing with small companies. ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/26/09 at 11:03 am

Nothing yet.

Written By: Michael C. on 02/28/09 at 3:19 pm

My Daughter didn't want a class ring from HS...so I got Her one She's had Her eye on,for Her Birthday.
The rest...............casualties of life..........bills/expenses.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/28/09 at 3:24 pm

This year, I owed, quite a bit.  :(

Written By: karen on 02/28/09 at 3:31 pm

I think we would pay more in taxes if we paid everything we are supposed to based on my husbands earnings, so the company pays the difference on our behalf.  If we were due a refund the company would probably keep it.  They kept the tax refund extra thing that was paid out last year.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/04/09 at 12:03 am

It's more tax-efficient to have long-term gains not offset by short-term losses - and to defer the short-term losses until 2009 for use against future short-term gains, since in 2009 you won't have any long-term gains left. 

But the depressing part about dumping your winning long-term positions in 2008 (long before they got to zero) and holding your losing short-term positions until 2009 (because they're already as close to zero as makes no odds) is that you end up owing taxes in the year that took around half your wealth down the drain. 

And to add injury to insult, because I didn't donate enough to the Democratic Party to get myself a cabinet appointment, "not paying the taxes" isn't an option for me either.

Frack 'em.  I still have the right to file for an extension.  What would happen, I wonder, if everyone due a refund, were to file early... and everyone who owed taxes, were to file, on April 14th, for an extension based on nothing more but a promise to pay the owed tax (plus 2 months' interest and penalties) 60 days later?  Would it be enough to tip the whole system over?

What if taxpayers, tired of carrying the weight of bailing out the politically-connected to the tune of $700B every three months (like clockwork, no matter whether an Elephant or a Jackass is in power), decided it wasn't their problem anymore?

If I saw Atlas, the giant who holds the world on his shoulders, if I saw that he stood, blood running down his chest, his knees buckling, his arms trembling but still trying to hold the world aloft with the last of his strength, and the greater his effort the
heavier the world bore down upon his shoulders-what would I tell him to do?

I can't speak for the rest of my fellow taxpayers, but I?  I would tell him to shrug.

Check for new replies or respond here...