inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did "geek chic" begin in earnest?

Written By: Samwise on 02/27/09 at 12:52 pm

It seems like it's been getting more and more socially acceptable to be geeky (in certain ways) for a while now. Like, glasses are in fashion, superhero movies and TV shows are big, etc. etc. I think it's primarily a trend of the 00's, but then again, you could also see threads of it in the 80's (Weird Al, They Might Be Giants) and 90's (Weezer, Barenaked Ladies). Does geekiness go in and out of fashion, or has it become steadily more popular as high technology becomes more common? And when did we hit the tipping point, where geekiness went from being "definitely horrible, but occasionally endearing" to "definitely endearing, but occasionally horrible"?

Subject: Re: When did "geek chic" begin in earnest?

Written By: Samwise on 03/01/09 at 7:29 pm

Really? Nobody? lol okay...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/02/09 at 1:19 am

I would say, about mid 90's.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/02/09 at 1:55 pm

January 20, 1978.

That's the day I was born.

8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/02/09 at 3:45 pm

;D

Written By: midnite on 03/09/09 at 8:52 pm

Good observation.  I think it goes in and out of fashion.  Remember in the 90s, the whole "My So Called Life" geeky, shoegazing, grungey style?

Written By: Samwise on 03/11/09 at 11:24 am

Good observation.  I think it goes in and out of fashion.  Remember in the 90s, the whole "My So Called Life" geeky, shoegazing, grungey style?

I'm not sure if grunge really fits with geek chic. Geekiness usually involves being really obsessed with something (like in science fiction fandom). I thought the "shoegazing, grungey" style was more about not caring about anything. But I may be wrong.

Check for new replies or respond here...