inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This decade in retrospective

Written By: -Tommy- on 02/28/09 at 6:07 pm

Howdy

I found this forum on a totally random note...and I would like to start off a discussion I thought about few days ago.

It's 2009 and the first decade of the new millenium is over. Me being a type that really doesn't have a problem with watching movies that are not necessarily new or music that's not necessarily on the charts, I have this feeling that this decade didn't offer me as much.

I was born in 84, so I have a very veeery vague memories of 80's. But my pops was a musician so I went places with him when he played and I can say I had the experience of feeling the vibe of his gigs playing popular chart toppers at the time for the summer crowds. Songs from those days, late 80's to mid 90's stuck in my mind.

I can't help it but to think those were quality songs. Not 100% all, but a lot.

Nowadays I feel old. I feel like I'm "stuck" in time, not really getting with the times. I rather watch some old TV series or movie than some new movie. Or my car is like a DeLorean, I go back in 85 every time I start the car, because 99% of the time, it's nothing NEW playing.

There is some music from early 2000 period I like, but I don't think that music is enough to carry the title of "00's (or however people call the 00-10 period) signature music".

What is it?

what's the short brief image of this decade?

If you go to 60's you can quickly picture hippies, Doors, Beatles etc. 70's.........bellbottoms, funk, disco etc. 80's neon colored pop, crazy hairs, hard rock bands, power ballads, synth pop...90's...90210 style...hip-hop era begins worldwide....

but what about this era?

Is everything we have to say about it Twitter and Facebook? Or does it have more to it? One hit wonders? Internet celebrities? Is that all?

What could you pinpoint and say "Oh that's so 2000-2010-ish" :D

I have this strange feeling that these generations are so faceless, no disrespect, but it does.

Either it's recycling things from the past or general blandness and dullness. In every aspect. Fashion, music...Music especially.

The way the things are going there won't probably even be albums in 2020. There will only be singles. And I'm very curious to see how bad will the music scene look when old legendary acts like Madonna, U2, Stones and similar go away.

Because they still sell out world in minutes and are the strongest presence in the pop music overall.

Does anyone actually believe some mediocre overhyped bands like Coldplay will sellout any venue in 2015?

Subject: Re: This decade in retrospective

Written By: 80sfan on 03/01/09 at 8:52 am

Howdy

I found this forum on a totally random note...and I would like to start off a discussion I thought about few days ago.

It's 2009 and the first decade of the new millenium is over. Me being a type that really doesn't have a problem with watching movies that are not necessarily new or music that's not necessarily on the charts, I have this feeling that this decade didn't offer me as much.

I was born in 84, so I have a very veeery vague memories of 80's. But my pops was a musician so I went places with him when he played and I can say I had the experience of feeling the vibe of his gigs playing popular chart toppers at the time for the summer crowds. Songs from those days, late 80's to mid 90's stuck in my mind.

I can't help it but to think those were quality songs. Not 100% all, but a lot.

Nowadays I feel old. I feel like I'm "stuck" in time, not really getting with the times. I rather watch some old TV series or movie than some new movie. Or my car is like a DeLorean, I go back in 85 every time I start the car, because 99% of the time, it's nothing NEW playing.

There is some music from early 2000 period I like, but I don't think that music is enough to carry the title of "00's (or however people call the 00-10 period) signature music".

What is it?

what's the short brief image of this decade?

If you go to 60's you can quickly picture hippies, Doors, Beatles etc. 70's.........bellbottoms, funk, disco etc. 80's neon colored pop, crazy hairs, hard rock bands, power ballads, synth pop...90's...90210 style...hip-hop era begins worldwide....

but what about this era?

Is everything we have to say about it Twitter and Facebook? Or does it have more to it? One hit wonders? Internet celebrities? Is that all?

What could you pinpoint and say "Oh that's so 2000-2010-ish" :D

I have this strange feeling that these generations are so faceless, no disrespect, but it does.

Either it's recycling things from the past or general blandness and dullness. In every aspect. Fashion, music...Music especially.

The way the things are going there won't probably even be albums in 2020. There will only be singles. And I'm very curious to see how bad will the music scene look when old legendary acts like Madonna, U2, Stones and similar go away.

Because they still sell out world in minutes and are the strongest presence in the pop music overall.

Does anyone actually believe some mediocre overhyped bands like Coldplay will sellout any venue in 2015?

You are 100% right. Today's music sucks! Everything is so mediocre and no one is brave enough to be creative. It feels like all the black male artists are trying to outdo Michael Jackson (Neo, Chris Brown, Usher) and all the female ones are trying to outdo Madonna (Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Rihanna, Miley).

Sorry, people, but there is only one Michael and Madonna! There are also so many remakes of the 1980's song like the one called "You Spin Me Right Round."

Music was good to me up until about 1999.

Young people aren't rebellious or creative like they were back then because we have a certain something called "technology". Sorry, but I feel like all of today's "mainstream" artists will never live up to the legends of the 1950's to 1990's!

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/09 at 9:14 am

Well at least in the late 00's we have fine 80's performers like Bret Michaels coming out with new stuff.  8)

Written By: robby76 on 03/01/09 at 9:28 am

I'm no fan of the 00s, but big things would be ipods, facebook, Obama... Harry Potter??? There's stuff, but it needs a few years of reflection before it becomes apparent.

Written By: Tia on 03/01/09 at 10:10 am

i think 2000s are gonna be known for tv and movies more than music. today's music is mostly worthless, you can find good stuff but it's mostly niche market, acid jazz and retro-styled art rock like radiohead, stuff like that. corporate popular music is completely useless.

but really the 2000s'll be remembered for politics and crisis. hell, let's hope that it's not the last decade we remember as being peaceful enough for there to even be popular trends.

Written By: joeman on 03/01/09 at 5:03 pm

The 00s will be considered a forgotten decade known for it's blandness and its obsession for being retro.  I too feel the same way you feel but I kind of wish it was 1998 all over again.  While the music wasn't the greatest then, I somehow could appreciate it.

Edit:  I agree with Robby about the internet exploding again with WEB 2.0, all the stupid internet fads, and IPODS that would reflect this decade. 

Written By: Samwise on 03/01/09 at 7:23 pm

To be totally anal, the 00's will end on January 1, 2010. But if you're talking cultural decades, the way people talk about the 60's as starting in 1963 and ending in 1974, I'd say the 00's began on 9/11 and ended either the day of the '08 stock market crash, or the day of Obama's inauguration - whichever history deems more important.

Anyway, all that pointlessness aside, I totally agree with you. This decade pretty much sucked all around. Personally, I think the decade will be remembered as being an awkward in-between stage. The history of pop culture in the 20th century is the story of three things happening, over and over again:

1) Corporations solidify control over the mediums of popular expression
2) Something new and innovative breaks through and busts it all up
3) The corporations scramble to absorb that new thing into themselves

I believe in the mid-to-late 90's, especially with the Telecommunications Act, the various corporations that serve as the gatekeepers to all our media built up their power and control to such a degree that, for the first time in decades, nothing was able to break through. The Internet was too young, and not enough people used it, to provide a realistic alternative to radio, TV, movies, etc. (It doesn't help that it took until the mid-00's for broadband to get widespread enough that online videos could become a major part of Internet culture.) So what you had on one hand was an incredibly soulless, corporate-driven mainstream pop culture; and on the other hand, a scattered, random collection of underground stuff on the Internet, none of which gathered enough of a following to really be called a "movement" or a "scene." I was hoping that the War on Terror and Bush's attacks on our civil liberties would inspire an artistic backlash with angry protest music, the way rock music flourished during the Vietnam War. But with the exception of American Idiot (Green Day, you had your turn in the 90's, dammit), there was pretty much nothing.

So I don't think there is a short, brief image of the decade. If I had to guess, I'd picture a guy with emo hair and glasses (disheveled mop-top with side-swept bangs + black plastic rectangular glasses); wearing a t-shirt, hoodie, faded jeans, and Chuck Taylors; and carrying a messenger bag. That sort of emo/indie/hipster look defines the decade for me. In terms of music, if I had to pick a "voice of my generation," I think I'd go with Ben Gibbard. Between Death Cab for Cutie and The Postal Service, his fingerprints are all over this decade. Movies that I think reflect the feel of the era: Garden State, Napoleon Dynamite, Juno, and Superbad. But those guesses are based on my personal experience. I've spent the 00's listening to Belle & Sebastian and The Decemberists (and, yes, the various Ben Gibbard projects). That poorly-defined "emo/indie/hipster/whatever" scene is, I think, the closest thing this decade has to the hippie or the grungester, so that's the best I can come up with. I know for a fact, though, that Gibbard is nowhere near as original or groundbreaking as John Lennon or Kurt Cobain. There was no powerful moment, like with "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "I Want to Hold Your Hand," where one song completely changed the music everyone was listening to. Indie music just kind of slithered in through the soundtracks of TV shows and movies whose creators wanted to prove their artistic credibility.

The good news: I think the Internet's matured to the point where the "next big thing" can come from it - or the Internet can overtake pop culture entirely, as people have been predicting since practically 1993. I also think the Obama era will be kinder to art than the Bush era was. Bush clearly put corporate interests ahead of everything else, which of course helped the people who want to churn out the same bland pop music year after year. Obama's less corporatist, and his message of hope has already inspired many artists. So I'm hopeful that the next decade will have a better-defined, more interesting culture.

Written By: scottyb on 03/02/09 at 3:39 pm

I'm not a huge fan of this decade and i wanna say music went really down hill after 2002 i mean i do like some new singers like Katy perry and lady ga ga and i did like Robyn's new album but over all most of todays music sucks its like you can wright a song about your ass and it becomes a huge hit and everyone just loves it sometimes i wish my teen years were in the 90's but i get to end the 00's at the age of 21 but this decade has allot to look back on culture and media wise and there were allot of huge events that changed many

Written By: joeman on 03/02/09 at 4:27 pm

I'm not a huge fan of this decade and i wanna say music went really down hill after 2002 i mean i do like some new singers like Katy perry and lady ga ga and i did like Robyn's new album but over all most of todays music sucks its like you can wright a song about your ass and it becomes a huge hit and everyone just loves it sometimes i wish my teen years were in the 90's but i get to end the 00's at the age of 21 but this decade has allot to look back on culture and media wise and there were allot of huge events that changed many

You can thank Clear Channel for ruining mainstream music.  Bubba the Love Sponge(for those who don't know or not a Tampa, Fl resident, he is a radio personality working for Howard Stern), was talking about how the music industry will pay Clear Channel to rotate certain songs for record sells.  Bubba was suggesting if he were running things(as he is working on a CC radio station himself mind you) he would play songs from The Beatles to Nirvana and let the fans screen what new up and coming music should come out.  Rarely do you find a station that independent that plays new music.

I'm ending the decade at 24, and this decade isn't just bad for culture, it's bad financially and socially for many people.  In this decade, I can't believe how many materialistic people are out there buying the latest technologies and such, but I am seeing it as a guy who having a hard time finding a career after college living a apartment that is already too high heh.

Written By: scottyb on 03/02/09 at 4:43 pm

You can thank Clear Channel for ruining mainstream music.  Bubba the Love Sponge(for those who don't know or not a Tampa, Fl resident, he is a radio personality working for Howard Stern), was talking about how the music industry will pay Clear Channel to rotate certain songs for record sells.  Bubba was suggesting if he were running things(as he is working on a CC radio station himself mind you) he would play songs from The Beatles to Nirvana and let the fans screen what new up and coming music should come out.  Rarely do you find a station that independent that plays new music.

I'm ending the decade at 24, and this decade isn't just bad for culture, it's bad financially and socially for many people.  In this decade, I can't believe how many materialist people are out there buying the latest technologies and such, but I am seeing it as a guy who having a hard time finding a career after college living a apartment that is already too high heh.

for me im still in college and im just getting my life startted and i have a waaaay to go anyways i mean when i look back at the 00's i can tell people how much it sucked i mean least i can tell them about the 90's well most of it anything past 1993 i can remember pretty well

Written By: joeman on 03/02/09 at 4:54 pm

for me im still in college and im just getting my life startted and i have a waaaay to go anyways i mean when i look back at the 00's i can tell people how much it sucked i mean least i can tell them about the 90's well most of it anything past 1993 i can remember pretty well

My advice for whatever career you choosing is somehow get job experience in the field first.  A college degree, along with dipolma's in general are devalued compared to what was a long time ago.  My dad used to get a great job with just a pharmacy certificate for example.  Nowadays even with an AA degree, employers will still look at it as HS dipolma.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 03/02/09 at 7:18 pm

To be totally anal, the 00's will end on January 1, 2010. But if you're talking cultural decades, the way people talk about the 60's as starting in 1963 and ending in 1974, I'd say the 00's began on 9/11 and ended either the day of the '08 stock market crash, or the day of Obama's inauguration - whichever history deems more important.

I disagree. I think that the "decade" will end whenever this recession ends (probably in a few years, but lets hope as early as possible). This depression just feels like it's more "of" this decade, which was one filled with depression (not just economic) in general.

Just some quick thoughts that I may update later:

The Lord of the Rings movies will probably be best remembered from this decade, and even though people today say the 00s will be known for remakes, I think it will be the trilogy decade (LOTR, Star Wars, Spider-Man, X-Men, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter, etc). Though I'm a little unsure as to what will be remembered as the BEST movie of the decade was (think Godfather, Raging Bull, Goodfellas), off the top of my head I'm gonna say...Brokeback Mountain. I honestly don't really know though- that's just an at-the-moment guess.

The defining artists will be Eminem (at least 00-03, when he was HUGE) in terms of really making that whole gansta/ghetto thing super-mainstream, and the fact that he's white didn't hurt that, Kanye West (I'll say 07-09) for his popularity, transcendence of current pop music, and how he just generally feels like a defining pop star of these days, Kelly Clarkson (03-07) as the first American Idol, and Fall Out Boy/My Chemical Romance/Panic at the Disco/All-American Rejects/Boys Like Girls (06-09) to define the whole punk/emo craze, with FOB probably being the most representative, though it's just like hair metal in the 80s, if you include Crue you gotta mention Poison and Bon Jovi, etc.

For TV we'll unquestionably be the reality show generation (Survivor, American Idol, America's Next Top Model). Though shows like The Office, Lost, Desperate Housewives, and CSI will be remembered as extremely popular as well.

Book-wise, The Da Vinci Code (and Dan Brown in general), Harry Potter, Twillight, He's Just Not That Into You, and a few others I'm forgetting.

Fads will be the iPod and MP3 music in general, HDTV, YouTube, excessive cell phone use.

Fashion (at least of the later 00s, I can't really remember much from early, but I think these ones will be more remembered anyway): that emo-style flat curly hair, flat and straight hair in general, hoodies and zip-sweatshirts, continued ghetto and skater looks that have probably been around since at least the late 90s, uggs, and the return of (specifically black) leggings for girls.

But as I kind of mentioned before, I think the 00s will best be looked at as kind of a dark and depressing time. Starting with the 9/11 tragedy, the unpopular Iraq War, the scandalous Bush Administration, the late 00s recession, and Katrina, to name a few. I'd say kind of if you took the 70s politically and economically, and mixed it will the 50s socially and culturally minus the racism and wholesomeness.

Written By: Samwise on 03/03/09 at 7:53 pm

I disagree. I think that the "decade" will end whenever this recession ends (probably in a few years, but lets hope as early as possible). This depression just feels like it's more "of" this decade, which was one filled with depression (not just economic) in general.

That's a good point. I was being pessimistic and assuming that the depression would go on for a while, marking an era in and of itself.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/04/09 at 12:34 am

I've enjoyed a lot of the music, but the state of the world during this decade has never really been good and it will continue well into the 2010s probably. The optimism entering the new century was quickly spoiled starting with the dot com crash and most especially on September 11, 2001. TV this decade there hasn't been much that I like but there's some alright stuff. The decade is ending on a sour note to say the least. The '90s on the other hand were all about prosperity of course bad things happened but people were so much more optimistic now we're in great depression 2 and not getting better. It's going to be a hard time period to have a lot of nostalgia for without thinking of how bad it was for a lot of people, people will say "I made it through the 2000s, I can make it through anything".

Written By: Tiramisu on 03/04/09 at 4:08 am

what a nightmare of a decade. :(

Written By: 80sfan on 03/04/09 at 11:57 am

Man, I remember February 2000. That's officially when the boom years ended. And the "insincere" 2000 election of GW Bush.

I also remember September 11 and the anthrax scare of 2002, the also the priests abuse of young kids, especially boys.

The horrible crunk music of 2003. The tsunami of 2004 and 2005's Katrina.

2006 and 2007 was actually calm, but nothing in pop culture interested me.

And 2008 and 2009's economic downturn.

Written By: Davester on 03/05/09 at 7:23 am

Man, I remember February 2000. That's officially when the boom years ended. And the "insincere" 2000 election of GW Bush.

I also remember September 11 and the anthrax scare of 2002, the also the priests abuse of young kids, especially boys.

Ha, you said insincere.  That's awfully polite... :P

Um, bogus election, 911...the usual stuff.  Don't know how I'll feel about this decade until I'm around fifty...

Written By: guest on 03/05/09 at 11:27 am

I disagree. I think that the "decade" will end whenever this recession ends (probably in a few years, but lets hope as early as possible)

I highly doubt this recession will end anytime soon. This crisis didn't happen overnight. It's a build up of all excessive spending we've been doing all these years even before we even thought of electing Bush Jr. We're all looking down a bottomless pit right now and no one knows exactly what to do. People are even fearing that it'll become worse or equal to the Great Depression during the 1930's. Sorry but magic isn't going to help bring this economy back to stability.

Written By: tv on 03/05/09 at 11:49 am

No, Crunk Music debut in 2004 not 2003. Music had some good stuff in 2003 but also some bad music too.

I think 2006-mid 2008 was pretty calm until the reccession hit in the form of Lehman Bros going out of business and the Dow Jones Industrial Average going down 700 points on the same day that Lehman shuttered their doors.

Written By: tv on 03/05/09 at 11:52 am

I highly doubt this recession will end anytime soon. This crisis didn't happen overnight. It's a build up of all excessive spending we've been doing all these years even before we even thought of electing Bush Jr. We're all looking down a bottomless pit right now and no one knows exactly what to do. People are even fearing that it'll become worse or equal to the Great Depression during the 1930's. Sorry but magic isn't going to help bring this economy back to stability.
No, everybody keeps on saying this is the worst since the Great Depression: no its not. This is the worst economy however since the early 1980's recession(1981-1982) in my opinion.

Written By: Ice on 03/05/09 at 11:55 am

I;m seeing less and less straight hair on women nowadays. I like that, because it's beyond played out. Especially that ultra straight hair look. It seemed like in the late-90's through mid-2000s, all you'd see was straight hair. The fashion of this is decade, is like 70's hair, and a mixture of 60's and 80's clothes.

Written By: tv on 03/05/09 at 12:00 pm

Just some quick thoughts that I may update later:

The Lord of the Rings movies will probably be best remembered from this decade, and even though people today say the 00s will be known for remakes, I think it will be the trilogy decade (LOTR, Star Wars, Spider-Man, X-Men, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter, etc). Though I'm a little unsure as to what will be remembered as the BEST movie of the decade was (think Godfather, Raging Bull, Goodfellas), off the top of my head I'm gonna say...Brokeback Mountain. I honestly don't really know though- that's just an at-the-moment guess.

The defining artists will be Eminem (at least 00-03, when he was HUGE) in terms of really making that whole gansta/ghetto thing super-mainstream, and the fact that he's white didn't hurt that, Kanye West (I'll say 07-09) for his popularity, transcendence of current pop music, and how he just generally feels like a defining pop star of these days, Kelly Clarkson (03-07) as the first American Idol, and Fall Out Boy/My Chemical Romance/Panic at the Disco/All-American Rejects/Boys Like Girls (06-09) to define the whole punk/emo craze, with FOB probably being the most representative, though it's just like hair metal in the 80s, if you include Crue you gotta mention Poison and Bon Jovi, etc.

For TV we'll unquestionably be the reality show generation (Survivor, American Idol, America's Next Top Model). Though shows like The Office, Lost, Desperate Housewives, and CSI will be remembered as extremely popular as well.

Book-wise, The Da Vinci Code (and Dan Brown in general), Harry Potter, Twillight, He's Just Not That Into You, and a few others I'm forgetting.

Fads will be the iPod and MP3 music in general, HDTV, YouTube, excessive cell phone use.

Fashion (at least of the later 00s, I can't really remember much from early, but I think these ones will be more remembered anyway): that emo-style flat curly hair, flat and straight hair in general, hoodies and zip-sweatshirts, continued ghetto and skater looks that have probably been around since at least the late 90s, uggs, and the return of (specifically black) leggings for girls.

But as I kind of mentioned before, I think the 00s will best be looked at as kind of a dark and depressing time. Starting with the 9/11 tragedy, the unpopular Iraq War, the scandalous Bush Administration, the late 00s recession, and Katrina, to name a few. I'd say kind of if you took the 70s politically and economically, and mixed it will the 50s socially and culturally minus the racism and wholesomeness.
Eminem did not make ghetto/gangsta stuff popular that was 50 Cent. I was surprised you didn't mention 50 Cent in that pargraph that you made of popular 00's music.

Yers, the 00's did have its dark times but it was far from a dark decade: greedy CEO's, Glam Rap, and Tabloid News on Celebrity's.

Written By: guest on 03/05/09 at 12:17 pm

No, everybody keeps on saying this is the worst since the Great Depression: no its not. This is the worst economy however since the early 1980's recession(1981-1982) in my opinion.

That's only because this recession has just started (well actually it started about a year ago but has started picking up just recently). Everything is still falling at an alarming rate and with how materialistic our society has been lately mixed with a very awful president for most of this decade, who knows when it'll stop.

Just look at how fast the jobs are disappearing:

http://static1.firedoglake.com/1/files//2009/02/payrolls.jpg

Written By: mikefromjersey on 03/05/09 at 2:27 pm

Eminem did not make ghetto/gangsta stuff popular that was 50 Cent. I was surprised you didn't mention 50 Cent in that pargraph that you made of popular 00's music.

Yers, the 00's did have its dark times but it was far from a dark decade: greedy CEO's, Glam Rap, and Tabloid News on Celebrity's.

I guess you're kind of right, as 50/Kanye are sort of the Beatles/Stones Nirvana/Pearl Jam of this era. What I really meant was just bringing that excessive hip-hop look to white suburbans. I know it had been that way probably since the Beastie Boys, but I always just felt that Eminem really did a massive job in adding that to 00s culture.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/05/09 at 3:55 pm

No, Crunk Music debut in 2004 not 2003. Music had some good stuff in 2003 but also some bad music too.

I think 2006-mid 2008 was pretty calm until the reccession hit in the form of Lehman Bros going out of business and the Dow Jones Industrial Average going down 700 points on the same day that Lehman shuttered their doors.

Crunk definitely debuted in 03 remember "Get Low" that was 2003 and "Damn" by the Youngbloodz, also like Holidae Inn and some others.

Written By: mag9thepower on 03/07/09 at 3:13 pm

One things I remembered in media is the snipers in the trunks of cars in 2002 I believe.
though I believe mostly remembered from this generation is the high thoughts of what is tearing people apart. The social violence which sucks cause many people at the same level of society are not even fighting back and not being racist though any are being attacked I really hope the next generation learns from this that attacking another race just because the media provides substance does not mean all people in that look, will be the same way. Destruction of humans, misanthropy is all I will remember from this generation and its acceptance of hating humanity when back in Charles Manson days and even unabomber the media would not be so accepting.

The only guy who fights for the better place...not a passionless nature

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/07/09 at 4:46 pm

I agree with this thread right here.  I'm 32 years old and I'm too old for this decade.  This decade's pop culture sucks REAL bad!  You can tell that we are living in the last days, I mean listen to the music that's out today. Hip hop is dead.  RnB is DEFINITELY dead.  Pop music is dead.  There's nothing innovative about this decade.  There's nothing but a bunch of recycle pop mess.  That's what it is.  I mean look at the movies.  They are remaking cartoons that those who were born in 1975-1981 grew up on like Transfomers, Alvin and the Chipmunks.  Now they are going to do the live action version of the Smurfs????  WTF?????  There's no rebellion against the goverment through music anymore.  There's no creativity. Everybody are like zombies instead of standing out.  The only 2000's music that I like are from 2000-2003.  Maybe it's because the early 2000's still have some 90s leftovers and influences just like the early 90s have some 80s leftovers and influences.  Same thing.  I'm going to offend a couple of folks here, but I have to get something off of my chest, but being a black woman, this decade's pop culture is not black woman-friendly like the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  I can see the difference.  There's barely any black female singers topping the music charts or being on the Top 10 like the 70s, 80s, and 90s. The only ones that are are Beyonce, Alicia Keys and Rihanna.  Black female video girls are being replaced by non-black women in black music videos.  There are more movies where a black man is pairing with a non-black woman than the same-race couple.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against interracial relationships, but if the media is trying to push the agenda that a non-black woman is a better love interest for a black man than a woman of his own race, then I have a problem with that.  Black female singers are trying to outdo Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston.  Janet Jackson was being blacklisted off of MTV because of the Superbowl incident.  What ever happened to people with talent?  I'm telling you folks, we are closer to the end.  I don't think that the pop culture is going to get any better.  It seems like I'm into more mid to late 80s and 90's pop culture than today's.  Its because of my age and because it's too bland and it's lifeless.  Even some young people don't like this decade.

Written By: mag9thepower on 03/07/09 at 4:58 pm

I agree with this thread right here.  I'm 32 years old and I'm too old for this decade.  This decade's pop culture sucks REAL bad!  You can tell that we are living in the last days, I mean listen to the music that's out today. Hip hop is dead.  RnB is DEFINITELY dead.  Pop music is dead.  There's nothing innovative about this decade.  There's nothing but a bunch of recycle pop mess.  That's what it is.  I mean look at the movies.  They are remaking cartoons that those who were born in 1975-1981 grew up on like Transfomers, Alvin and the Chipmunks.  Now they are going to do the live action version of the Smurfs????  WTF?????  There's no rebellion against the goverment through music anymore.  There's no creativity. Everybody are like zombies instead of standing out.  The only 2000's music that I like are from 2000-2003.  Maybe it's because the early 2000's still have some 90s leftovers and influences just like the early 90s have some 80s leftovers and influences.  Same thing.  I'm going to offend a couple of folks here, but I have to get something off of my chest, but being a black woman, this decade's pop culture is not black woman-friendly like the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  I can see the difference.  There's barely any black female singers topping the music charts or being on the Top 10 like the 70s, 80s, and 90s. The only ones that are are Beyonce, Alicia Keys and Rihanna.  Black female video girls are being replaced by non-black women in black music videos.  There are more movies where a black man is pairing with a non-black woman than the same-race couple.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against interracial relationships, but if the media is trying to push the agenda that a non-black woman is a better love interest for a black man than a woman of his own race, then I have a problem with that.  Black female singers are trying to outdo Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston.  Janet Jackson was being blacklisted off of MTV because of the Superbowl incident.  What ever happened to people with talent?  I'm telling you folks, we are closer to the end.  I don't think that the pop culture is going to get any better.  It seems like I'm into more mid to late 80s and 90's pop culture than today's.  Its because of my age and because it's too bland and it's lifeless.  Even some young people don't like this decade.

Yeah I am one of those some who do not like this decade, but I have gotten into a lot of Europe music like Current 93, Death In june, Sol Invictus, Nick Cave, Antony & the Johnsons, basically because of hitting the notes on the western world has become...I would really like to get in contact with you name is Marcello if you want email me at giagnoli@surfside.net or aim me mag9thepower 

Written By: mag9thepower on 03/07/09 at 5:38 pm

Lastly one thing I have noticed is the sexual make of this 21st century as I misheard a lyric in a song once "When there is nothing left to do but all the way" this generation is really built on sex. Though it can be said to mean pornos in general it is also the speech in daily activities that is another thing this generation will be remembered for as it goes along well with misanthropy sex is just body to body. So now the beat is on to say is this good or not, well in all honest words that is just the 21st century men and women. In a lot of ways it is always going to be blame on man from women to putting them down yet again there is not argument from myself I am a mommas boy and proud to be so. Most would not say so, but I can shine a light on my days with no one in sight because they need anyone to help in their sexual fixation I dont need that or even be a sadomasochistic to be happy. I am just a kid with my life in this generation hoping for it to end in America soon so that I can go back in the world without harsh "Religious" or "Virgin" judgment from people. There is one thing I would love people to learn that nobody needs to be questions sexual activity because if someone is grand enough to ask aloud sexual activity then they have their own answer keep it that way. I hope only the next generation learns to keep their opinions to just state rather than question. really the sexual part of this culture in this 21st century I doubt will have much impact of change in the next generation because they will call it only religious servitude if so.  Though I know many people who do not go with anyone because they have parents who live together and mom is just a baller and is the "whale" in vegas while the dad sits at home or vise versa. I pretty much hope for a better generation and for people to notice more how their families have really treated them.

I have noticed that people always tell me I am trying to speak "God Like" Though I will say this how the hell do you know GOD people can help this world or turn it sheesh that is the decisions of the persons life not peoples remarks. In the next generation I really hope to not hear "God LIke" anywhere because that would refer that people must be friends with the being, GOD has not from what I have seen interfered with life thus far so I doubt the being would choose you to be the body, not even myself 

Written By: tv on 03/07/09 at 6:04 pm

I agree with this thread right here.  I'm 32 years old and I'm too old for this decade.  This decade's pop culture sucks REAL bad!  You can tell that we are living in the last days, I mean listen to the music that's out today. Hip hop is dead.  RnB is DEFINITELY dead.  Pop music is dead.  There's nothing innovative about this decade.  There's nothing but a bunch of recycle pop mess.  That's what it is.  I mean look at the movies.  They are remaking cartoons that those who were born in 1975-1981 grew up on like Transfomers, Alvin and the Chipmunks.  Now they are going to do the live action version of the Smurfs????  WTF?????  There's no rebellion against the goverment through music anymore.  There's no creativity. Everybody are like zombies instead of standing out.  The only 2000's music that I like are from 2000-2003.  Maybe it's because the early 2000's still have some 90s leftovers and influences just like the early 90s have some 80s leftovers and influences.  Same thing.  I'm going to offend a couple of folks here, but I have to get something off of my chest, but being a black woman, this decade's pop culture is not black woman-friendly like the 70s, 80s, and 90s I can see the difference.  There's barely any black female singers topping the music charts or being on the Top 10 like the 70s, 80s, and 90s. The only ones that are are Beyonce, Alicia Keys and Rihanna.  Black female video girls are being replaced by non-black women in black music videos. There are more movies where a black man is pairing with a non-black woman than the same-race couple. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against interracial relationships, but if the media is trying to push the agenda that a non-black woman is a better love interest for a black man than a woman of his own race, then I have a problem with that.  Black female singers are trying to outdo Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston.  Janet Jackson was being blacklisted off of MTV because of the Superbowl incident.  What ever happened to people with talent?  I'm telling you folks, we are closer to the end.  I don't think that the pop culture is going to get any better.  It seems like I'm into more mid to late 80s and 90's pop culture than today's.  Its because of my age and because it's too bland and it's lifeless.  Even some young people don't like this decade.

From a white man prespective, Yeah there was alot of black sitcoms in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. The sitcom itself is dead. I have seen a couple movies where a black woman is with a white man too though.

I don;t believe Janet Jackson got blacklisted off MTV for the SuperBowl incident but than again MTV doesn't play any music video's anymore anyway.

I think music is bad now because of downloading. I mean record companies have used the same excuse for 8 years now that record sales are down because of downloading so the music in terms of trends barely changes. Record Companies just keeping on pumping out the same stuff. The last time album sales were really good were when teen-pop was on top of the world in 1999-2000 and than record sales slipped from there and never came back.

I myself haven;t even listened too Top 40 radio in like a year and a half because the music is just bad now on Top 40 radio. Hip Hop radio-will not listen to it either because its all southern rap now and I don;t like today's southern rap either. I do dig the 90's but I did like some of the hip-hop/R&B that was on the charts from 2003--mid 2005. I did like some music from late 2005-early or mid 2007 too. Music changed in mid or early 2007 or something from my prespective at least. The 90's was a better decade for music though.

I think I'm one of the older people technically(I'm 29) that could put up with alot of 00's music but not the last year and a half worth of it. Maybe I;m just getting too old for it as well.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/07/09 at 9:47 pm

From a white man prespective, Yeah there was alot of black sitcoms in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. The sitcom itself is dead. I have seen a couple movies where a black woman is with a white man too though.
I don;t believe Janet Jackson got blacklisted off MTV for the SuperBowl incident but than again MTV doesn't play any music video's anymore anyway.

I think music is bad now because of downloading. I mean record companies have used the same excuse for 8 years now that record sales are down because of downloading so the music in terms of trends barely changes. Record Companies just keeping on pumping out the same stuff. The last time album sales were really good were when teen-pop was on top of the world in 1999-2000 and than record sales slipped from there and never came back.

I myself haven;t even listened too Top 40 radio in like a year and a half because the music is just bad now on Top 40 radio. Hip Hop radio-will not listen to it either because its all southern rap now and I don;t like today's southern rap either. I do dig the 90's but I did like some of the hip-hop/R&B that was on the charts from 2003--mid 2005. I did like some music from late 2005-early or mid 2007 too. Music changed in mid or early 2007 or something from my prespective at least. The 90's was a better decade for music though.

I think I'm one of the older people technically(I'm 29) that could put up with alot of 00's music but not the last year and a half worth of it. Maybe I;m just getting too old for it as well.

As far as the first bolded sentence, it's not as much as the other way around.  I see it.  Every where I turn, there's always a new mainstream movie where the most prominent famous black actor is the lead, and his love interest is either white, Asian, or Latina.  You rarely see a black female as the love interest in these mainstream movies in this decade, and everybody knows it.  I guess light skin in black women is not good enough anymore.  At least in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, in mainstream movies where the black actor is the lead, they have a black woman as his love interest.  I see it.  Now in this God-forsaken decade, Hollywood has completely shut off black women as the love interest of black male leads in movies, now like you said, there's a growing trend of black woman/non-black male movies like Lakeview Terrance and Something New, but still, it's not as much as the other way around.

As far as the second bolded sentence, the reason why a lot of people are downloading music from the internet because there's hardly any good music in Top 40 and urban stations.  I don't listen to the radio nonstop like I did in the mid 80s to the 90s.  If I do listen to it, it's an adult urban contemporary station that caters to people 25 and over.  Plus, I noticed this, and I see it, that once a person hits mid-20s their music tastes start to change and it becomes more mature.  It's a psychological fact  I guess that's the reason why I don't like most of the music that's out now.  The only music that I like came from the early 2000's (2000-2003) because it still has that 90s influence.  Usually when a new decade comes, the pop culture of the previous decade doesn't completely go away until the third year of the new decade.

Written By: Samwise on 03/08/09 at 11:13 am

I think music is bad now because of downloading. I mean record companies have used the same excuse for 8 years now that record sales are down because of downloading so the music in terms of trends barely changes. Record Companies just keeping on pumping out the same stuff.

A study was released years ago that showed that music downloading generally has no statistically significant effect on music sales, but can, on occasion, actually increase sales of certain albums. Here's some information on it: http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4206.html

I think the reason the record industry is dying is due to two factors:
1) The demise of the single. Before the 80s, the whole industry was based on singles: an artist would release a single, it would play on the radio, and kids would rush to record stores to buy that one song they liked. But then they started phasing out singles in favor of cassette tapes and, later, CDs. By the time music downloading came onto the scene, in order to buy a single song you heard on the radio and liked, you had to fork over $20 for a ridiculously overpriced CD. Tellingly, in the study I mentioned above, they found that very few people were downloading full albums. Internet downloading forced the return of the single; now that iTune's around, the single has returned - on the Internet. But the industry has yet to pick up on that trend and start releasing singles again.
2) The switch to CDs, which created a flood of new customers (all replacing their old records and tapes to CDs). This basically spoiled the industry. It got them used to a level of sales that could never realistically be sustained. Once people finished buying CDs of the records in their collection, sales started to drop back down to a sane level. Everyone who had gotten fat, dumb, and happy off the CD bubble started freaking out. Naturally, they blamed piracy for the downturn. What they forgot was that the music business was always a volatile business, full of ups and downs. The CD bubble disguised that volatility, lulled everybody into a false sense of security. They started changing the business model to assume such high sales, and when the sales went away, the business model became obsolete. The industry has yet to change its business model to adapt to anything - the downturn in CD sales, Internet downloading, whatever. They've become stubborn and stiff.

I think the reason pop music is bad has more to do with the Telecommunications Act of 1996, which allowed corporations like ClearChannel to form monopolies. All the great movements in music happened in spite of the music industry: the radio was playing some brain-dead pop music, some huge tidal wave came up from the underground, and it was so powerful, it knocked through the ceiling into the mainstream, and in order to stay relevant, the music industry had to try to get a piece of it. The last time that happened was in the early 90's. When alternative rock was building up momentum in the 80's, it was called college rock because it was mainly played on college radio stations. Nowadays, most college radio stations just play whatever the mainstream radio stations are playing. And the mainstream radio stations are playing an ever-shrinking playlist of bland, focus group-approved pabulum. If a teenage girl sent a ClearChannel DJ a letter that said, "Hey, I just heard of this new band called The Beatles - they're really big over in Britain and you should play their song," he'd have to respond, "Sorry, I can't - I'm not allowed to decide what music I play on my show."

The music industry basically created an airtight seal around itself: it's almost impossible for anything new and exciting to break through. And that's the way they want it. Because to have something break through would mean them giving up control, and like I said earlier, the CD got them used to working in an industry where a certain baseline of sales was to be expected. If they could, they'd manufacture some exciting new sound and hand-pick the artists to represent it, but of course, this sort of thing can never be planned. I think anything new is going to have to come from the Internet.

Written By: Guest on 03/08/09 at 4:48 pm

Howdy

I found this forum on a totally random note...and I would like to.....]

I'm sure that in the 1970s or 80s, people had no idea what the future would truly be like, so it's pretty hard to identify your decade until your looking back on it and compare it to a new one, aka comparing the 2000s to the 2010s.

But if I thought of 2000 decade things that are identifiable, then they would be...

* House, Hip Hop, Electro, Alternative/Punk teen rock bands

* War on terror (Bush), Obama, Middle East, etc.

* Emos, Goths, Chavs, Preps

The thing with fashion is that the nineties was a decade of such "anti fashion", where everything was toned down, and computers and tech were very old fashioned. Then in the 2000s tech became extremely advanced and fashion remained moderate, but there was an increase in young people dressing like emos or goths. But styles for the 'older' generation, like people in their 30s and 40s, remained moderate because they were a generation that came from living in the nineties, the decade of anti fashion.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/08/09 at 7:08 pm

Howdy

I found this forum on a totally random note...and I would like to.....]

I'm sure that in the 1970s or 80s, people had no idea what the future would truly be like, so it's pretty hard to identify your decade until your looking back on it and compare it to a new one, aka comparing the 2000s to the 2010s.

But if I thought of 2000 decade things that are identifiable, then they would be...

* House, Hip Hop, Electro, Alternative/Punk teen rock bands

* War on terror (Bush), Obama, Middle East, etc.

* Emos, Goths, Chavs, Preps

The thing with fashion is that the nineties was a decade of such "anti fashion", where everything was toned down, and computers and tech were very old fashioned. Then in the 2000s tech became extremely advanced and fashion remained moderate, but there was an increase in young people dressing like emos or goths. But styles for the 'older' generation, like people in their 30s and 40s, remained moderate because they were a generation that came from living in the nineties, the decade of anti fashion.

I'm in my 30's, and I agree with what you are saying.  My fashion right now has always been moderate.  I never went overboard like the younger generation.  I couldn't see myself as a preteen or a teenager today.  I wouldn't survive in this God-forsaken pop culture. At least in the late 80s and 90s, it was prosperous, and pop culture in the late 80s and 90s were more diverse, creative, innovation, original, and fresh.  Now, nobody wants to try something new.  Alll they do is recycle the old instead of being innovative.  I think that the 90s was the last decade of innovation in pop culture.  Nobody is trying to stand out anymore.  Nobody is trying to go against the grain.  It's like we are robots who don't have our own minds.  Whatever the mainstream does, we follow.  The difference between mainstream culture in the 70s/80s/90s and today is that the mainstream culture of the 70s/80s/90s were better, and people weren't afraid of being themselves.  They were being creative instead of being a follower.  Mainstream culture in those decades was worth embracing unlike this decade.  This decade is BRAIN DEAD!!!!

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/09 at 7:10 pm

As a whole, 2000 - 2009 sucked.  Did I hate everything about it?  No, but what I did hate overpowered more than what I did like

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/08/09 at 7:15 pm

Whistledog, I'm with you all the way.  I'm just like you.  What I hate about this decade is more powerful than what I like.  Like I said, I liked RnB music from 2000-2003, but like you said on a whole, THIS WHOLE DECADE SUCKS!!!!!  Like I said on my last post.  I wouldn't even DREAM of being a child, preteen, or a teenager today.  I WILL NOT survive if I was young in this decade.  I'm so glad that I'm a 70s baby, 80s child/preteen. and a 90s teen/young adult.  I think that everybody who is over 30 are more likely hate this decade on a whole, and I'm one of them.  I don't like NOTHING about this decade.  I guess it's because I'm getting old, you know, being 32. I miss the mid to late 80s and 90s pop culture.  It was so diverse, and I had so much fun in those times, and I wish I can go back.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/08/09 at 8:25 pm

Whistledog, I'm with you all the way.  I'm just like you.  What I hate about this decade is more powerful than what I like.  Like I said, I liked RnB music from 2000-2003, but like you said on a whole, THIS WHOLE DECADE SUCKS!!!!!  Like I said on my last post.  I wouldn't even DREAM of being a child, preteen, or a teenager today.  I WILL NOT survive if I was young in this decade.  I'm so glad that I'm a 70s baby, 80s child/preteen. and a 90s teen/young adult.  I think that everybody who is over 30 are more likely hate this decade on a whole, and I'm one of them.  I don't like NOTHING about this decade.  I guess it's because I'm getting old, you know, being 32. I miss the mid to late 80s and 90s pop culture.  It was so diverse, and I had so much fun in those times, and I wish I can go back.

I'm a teenager between 2001 and 2008 and I agree with you, I wish I grew up in the 80's! Hence, my name, 80sfan! If not the 80s than a better time in the future! 2020's will be better?!
I hope the 2010's are better!

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/09/09 at 12:04 am

80sfan, I hate to say this, but I don't think that the pop culture is going to get better anytime soon.  I'm just speaking from my perspective.  I'm glad that when 2010s decade hits, it's going tp be a nostalgia of the 90s.  You mark my words.  It seems like every decade celebrates the 20-year retro loop.  Like for example, in this decade, the only good thing about this decade was the 80s nostalgia.  I mean, I will feel nostalgic about the cartoons I used to watch, the toys I used to play with, the shows I used to watch, the clothes I used to wear, the whole nine yards.  Since I was a teenager in the early to mid 90s, I'm going to feel REAL REAL NOSTALGIC about it.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/09/09 at 3:42 pm

80sfan, I hate to say this, but I don't think that the pop culture is going to get better anytime soon.  I'm just speaking from my perspective.  I'm glad that when 2010s decade hits, it's going tp be a nostalgia of the 90s.  You mark my words.  It seems like every decade celebrates the 20-year retro loop.  Like for example, in this decade, the only good thing about this decade was the 80s nostalgia.  I mean, I will feel nostalgic about the cartoons I used to watch, the toys I used to play with, the shows I used to watch, the clothes I used to wear, the whole nine yards.  Since I was a teenager in the early to mid 90s, I'm going to feel REAL REAL NOSTALGIC about it.

Sadly I agree with you about the 2010's not being better. There is just something wrong with the people behind the scenes today. There is so many movie remakes, so many 80s remake/remix of songs and television is a bore!

The last time pop culture was fun was 1998. We had never had an era in pop culture like today ever because it sucks! Thanks for replying.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/09/09 at 4:33 pm

Sadly I agree with you about the 2010's not being better. There is just something wrong with the people behind the scenes today. There is so many movie remakes, so many 80s remake/remix of songs and television is a bore!

The last time pop culture was fun was 1998. We had never had an era in pop culture like today ever because it sucks! Thanks for replying.

No problem.  There's nothing new and innovative about this decade at all.  The last time you see something innovative in pop culture was in the 90s.  It seems like the only time I enjoy this decade is when the 80s nostalgia kicks in, and we talk about what we used to do in the 80s as children, preteens, and teenagers.  Other than that, hell no, I HATE this decade, and I feel sorry for your generation.  I really do.  I wish that you grew up in the 80s myself because this decade ain't doing nothing to serve your generation but recycled pop crap.  Instead of standing out and do something different, they are followers.  Nobody wants to challenge the music industry, movie idustry or pop culture period anymore.  Like I said in my last post, people are like zombies now.

Written By: midnite on 03/09/09 at 8:48 pm

Each decade gets less and less creative and more and more mindless - especially pop culture. 

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/09/09 at 8:52 pm

Each decade gets less and less creative and more and more mindless - especially pop culture. 
You got that right.  I'm a rebel, and I'm not going to follow the trend just because everybody else is doing it.  I have my own mind.

Written By: Roadgeek on 03/09/09 at 9:25 pm

Yeah, I'm a teen of the '00s, and I wish wasn't. :-\\ I will always be a fan of the '80s and '90s. With all of the turmoil and sickening pop culture of the present, we must remember that we can still enjoy what the past has to offer. :)

Written By: 80sfan on 03/09/09 at 9:27 pm

You got that right.  I'm a rebel, and I'm not going to follow the trend just because everybody else is doing it.  I have my own mind.

You sound like my kind of person!

I never caved into anything. I never wore clothes like other guys just because it's cool and just because it's easier to conform. Thank you for making me feel like there are people with the same mindset as me in this world.

Dear God, I what this society has come to. I hate how stupid our entertainment has become!

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/09/09 at 10:04 pm

Yeah, I'm a teen of the '00s, and I wish wasn't. :-\\ I will always be a fan of the '80s and '90s. With all of the turmoil and sickening pop culture of the present, we must remember that we can still enjoy what the past has to offer. :)

I feel sorry for the preteens and teenagers that have to experience this God-forsaken pop culture of today.  That's why I lean on to mid to late 80s and 90s pop culture because those are my preteen, teenage, and early adult years.  I'm going to enjoy my youthful years right now, and I'm not going to follow the crowd of today.  I'm getting too old for that anyway.  I'm 32 years old, so technically, this is not my generation, so it's normal for me to hate it, but it's even WORSE if a preteen or a teenager says that he or she hates this generation.  Anytime that age group says that, we are in DEEP DEEP trouble because usually, preteens and teenagers embrace pop culture in that age, and it's usually those in their mid 20s and over that hates pop culture of the present because it's not their genertion.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/09/09 at 10:12 pm

You sound like my kind of person!

I never caved into anything. I never wore clothes like other guys just because it's cool and just because it's easier to conform. Thank you for making me feel like there are people with the same mindset as me in this world.

Dear God, I what this society has come to. I hate how stupid our entertainment has become!

That's what I love about the mid to late 80s and 90s.  You can be yourself.  Of course I followed the crowd when it comes to pop culture.  That's what normal preteens and teenagers do, but, on the other hand, I was also an outsider as well.  Back then, the pop culture was so good that even our parents embraced it in their age at the time.  One thing about the 80s and especially 90s was that it bridged the age gap, and two generations can embraced it.  It was more creative.  I believe that the 70s, 80s, and 90s were the golden ages of the pop culture with its richness, creativity, innovation, diversity, style, music, movies, everything.  The pop culture golden age ended when 2000 hit.

Written By: Jebusa on 03/10/09 at 1:02 pm

Alright guys, I posted this in another thread already but this one seems to be where the real discussion of the 2000s is taking place.  Let me state first that I am not referring to any specific poster in this message but rather, the board as a whole.  I seem to be unique on these boards in the respect that I do not view the 00s as any less culturally unique than any previous decade.  While this may be a bit of a generalization, the overwhelming opinion of members of this board seems to be that the 00s are drastically worse than previous decades and everyone seems to love analyzing the past with the utmost level of scrutiny.  While reflecting on and analyzing the past is fun -- that is why we all visit this board after all -- I fail to see why this decade is viewed so negatively.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that most members of this board prefer past decades because the pop culture of the past was "fun," "innocent," while today's pop culture is pure garbage.  There is, of course, nothing wrong with preferring the culture of the past, but I find many aspects of the music and culture of the past to be just a much garbage as that of today.  For example, the 80s saw the proliferation of hair bands such as Warrant, Poison, Winger, etc.  In my opinion, these bands are as watered-down as much of the popular rap music is today because those hair bands simply made music with the primary intention of selling it to the masses.  Warrant's "Cherry Pie" is a great example of this.

My reasons for saying that this decade is unique are supported by the following cultural phenomena: iPods, the Internet's permeation into all parts of society, "glam" rap music and culture, indie music and culture, the Iraq War, George Bush's presidency, the beginning of the Obama era, etc.  As a college student, I have been a huge part of this decade and will have a large influence on the next decade.

With all of that said, I would love to know what you guys think of bands like The White Stripes, Muse, The Black Keys, The Postal Service, and The Arcade Fire who I consider to be very original and very much a part of this decades culture.  Also, what do you guys think of original movies such as Donnie Darko, Requiem for a Dream, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which I consider to be movies that define my experience with this decade?

Written By: Samwise on 03/11/09 at 11:20 am

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that most members of this board prefer past decades because the pop culture of the past was "fun," "innocent," while today's pop culture is pure garbage.  There is, of course, nothing wrong with preferring the culture of the past, but I find many aspects of the music and culture of the past to be just a much garbage as that of today.  For example, the 80s saw the proliferation of hair bands such as Warrant, Poison, Winger, etc.  In my opinion, these bands are as watered-down as much of the popular rap music is today because those hair bands simply made music with the primary intention of selling it to the masses.  Warrant's "Cherry Pie" is a great example of this.

My reasons for saying that this decade is unique are supported by the following cultural phenomena: iPods, the Internet's permeation into all parts of society, "glam" rap music and culture, indie music and culture, the Iraq War, George Bush's presidency, the beginning of the Obama era, etc.  As a college student, I have been a huge part of this decade and will have a large influence on the next decade.

With all of that said, I would love to know what you guys think of bands like The White Stripes, Muse, The Black Keys, The Postal Service, and The Arcade Fire who I consider to be very original and very much a part of this decades culture.  Also, what do you guys think of original movies such as Donnie Darko, Requiem for a Dream, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which I consider to be movies that define my experience with this decade?

Except for the Black Keys, whom I've never heard of, that last paragraph was basically a list of my favorite things in the 00's. ;D But the thing about indie culture in the 00's is that, unlike indie culture in past decades, this new version doesn't really stand for anything. The prevailing style of indie culture these days is all quirkiness and twee - no real sociopolitical commentary. Hippie folk music was about something. Punk rock was about something. Even grunge was a rage-filled reaction to a world where everything's going to hell and really, you can't do anything about it.

But in this decade, when the Bush administration drastically expanded governmental powers and dragged us into two wars for no apparent reason, the underground completely dropped the ball. Just when we really needed some kind of counter-cultural art scene to explode into the mainstream, to express our pent-up emotions and get us all thinking, "Hey, wait a minute, this is really messed up!" nothing happened. There was emo, which was just self-absorbed whining focused entirely on interpersonal relationships. And then there was hipsterism - aloof, above it all, disdainful and interested only in whether you're wearing the right kind of ironic blue collar clothes and drinking the right kind of ironic blue collar beer. The hipster scene's calling card is sarcasm divorced from any usefulness it once had as sociopolitical commentary, now used entirely to tear other hipsters down. Nothing in this says anything important about the world in which we live. None of this forces anyone to see the world in a different way. It's like 9/11 happened and everyone sort of simultaneously turned inward to gaze at their navels. Which itself might say something about this decade, I guess.

And you can't tell me that the music is comparable to music in past decades. Yes, the 80's had hair bands, but it also had New Wave. It had the birth of electronic music. What new genre was invented in the 00's? As much as I love Postal Service, they're really mostly just recycling the sounds of the 80's. As much as I love the White Stripes, wouldn't they fit in just as well with bands of the early 90's, or the late 70's for that matter? There is no new, unique, interesting sound that's like nothing we've ever heard before. Even the music I like sounds like it could be from the 60's (The Decemberists) or the 70's (the first time my mom heard my Belle & Sebastian CD, she said, "I liked these guys better when I was in college and they were called Simon & Garfunkel.") or the 90's (Death Cab for Cutie). Rock is supposed to be about youth and rebellion and questioning everything and challenging the world. And the best examples I can find of "defining music for my generation" are the soundtracks to Garden State (which - forget B&S - literally has Simon & Garfunkel on it) and Juno (quirky anti-folk with random lyrics). That's pretty damn sad.

Written By: tv on 03/11/09 at 12:11 pm

Everbody says there is alot of song remakes in this decade but I don;t think so. Most of the song remakes were from 1997-2002.
About the movie remakes I don;t think there were alot of movie remakes but there were too many movie sequels though I think.

Written By: tv on 03/11/09 at 12:20 pm

And you can't tell me that the music is comparable to music in past decades. Yes, the 80's had hair bands, but it also had New Wave. It had the birth of electronic music. What new genre was invented in the 00's? As much as I love Postal Service, they're really mostly just recycling the sounds of the 80's. As much as I love the White Stripes, wouldn't they fit in just as well with bands of the early 90's, or the late 70's for that matter? There is no new, unique, interesting sound that's like nothing we've ever heard before. Even the music I like sounds like it could be from the 60's (The Decemberists) or the 70's (the first time my mom heard my Belle & Sebastian CD, she said, "I liked these guys better when I was in college and they were called Simon & Garfunkel.") or the 90's (Death Cab for Cutie). Rock is supposed to be about youth and rebellion and questioning everything and challenging the world. And the best examples I can find of "defining music for my generation" are the soundtracks to Garden State (which - forget B&S - literally has Simon & Garfunkel on it) and Juno (quirky anti-folk with random lyrics). That's pretty damn sad.
Yes rock is about youth and rebillion but to be fair rock lost its place to rap music starting with 2003. To go back further, I think white people knew more about rap music once Biggie and Tupac got killed and Puff Daddy and Mase became popular in 1997-mid 1998. I mean 1996 was grunge music's last stand.

Written By: Samwise on 03/11/09 at 12:34 pm

Yes rock is about youth and rebillion but to be fair rock lost its place to rap music starting with 2003. To go back further, I think white people knew more about rap music once Biggie and Tupac got killed and Puff Daddy and Mase became popular in 1997-mid 1998. I mean 1996 was grunge music's last stand.

That's a good point. Rap seems to have overtaken rock as the dominant genre. (Sad, for me, since I love rock music.) But the popular rap music in this decade wasn't any good, either. It was all glam-rap, all about how much money and sex the rapper got.

Written By: Jebusa on 03/11/09 at 12:49 pm

Well Samwise, I would say that indie music and culture definitely stands for something.  The 00s have been riddled by mindless superhero movies, huge corporations, and commercial rap music.  Indie music rebels against these very things that have been defining this decade.  One might ask, "Well haven't these indie bands become the very thing they seek to rebel against?"  My answer is no, because while some indie bands such as the White Stripes and The Shins have had popular success, there music still embodies indie ideals because they don't make music for the sole purpose of selling it.  If I may, what do you think the message is behind hair metal?  I understand grunge music's message but while I enjoy listening to some 80s metal and New Wave, I fail to see what it stood for and what it rebelled against.  I have the utmost respect for bands like Van Halen, Guns 'n Roses, and Motley Crue but I only respect them because they all produced original sounding music.  However, I do think that all of those bands produced music for the sole purpose of making money.  So could someone please enlighten me to what there message actually is?

Written By: tv on 03/11/09 at 1:21 pm

Well Samwise, I would say that indie music and culture definitely stands for something.  The 00s have been riddled by mindless superhero movies, huge corporations, and commercial rap music.  Indie music rebels against these very things that have been defining this decade.  One might ask, "Well haven't these indie bands become the very thing they seek to rebel against?"  My answer is no, because while some indie bands such as the White Stripes and The Shins have had popular success, there music still embodies indie ideals because they don't make music for the sole purpose of selling it.  If I may, what do you think the message is behind hair metal?  I understand grunge music's message but while I enjoy listening to some 80s metal and New Wave, I fail to see what it stood for and what it rebelled against.  I have the utmost respect for bands like Van Halen, Guns 'n Roses, and Motley Crue but I only respect them because they all produced original sounding music.  However, I do think that all of those bands produced music for the sole purpose of making money.  So could someone please enlighten me to what there message actually is?
Yeah but Gun's N' Roses did have some great songs though even if they weren't songs against the government or whatever. I agree with you about Motley Crue they were just about partying, having fun and thats about it. Van Halen had a nice run there for awhile of hit songs.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/11/09 at 4:38 pm

That's a good point. Rap seems to have overtaken rock as the dominant genre. (Sad, for me, since I love rock music.) But the popular rap music in this decade wasn't any good, either. It was all glam-rap, all about how much money and sex the rapper got.
  To tell you the truth, I wish that rap wasn't the dominant mainstream genre.  Ever since rap became mainstream, it lost its essence.  It lost its originality.  I wish rap was underground.  I wish that it was a mixture of different genres that dominated mainstream like it was in the late 80s and 90s.  I miss the diveristy of the late 80s and 90s.  Everybody had their fare share, rap, rock, RnB, AC, etc.  This is coming fom an African-American woman.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/11/09 at 4:52 pm

PREACH! PREACH! PREACH!  That's what I'm talking about!  How the hell can you compare the golden age of the pop culture (70s, 80s, 90s,)  to this garbage you call pop culture? ???  There's NOTHING original or innovative about this decade AT ALL!!!!  I know because I experienced the mid to late 80s and 90s enough to see the difference.  Rap has become mainstream, and instead of rap being used to CHALLENGE the mainstream, they want to kiss the mainstream's ass to sell records.  They are willing to sell out just to get double platinum, and to make it worse, it doesn't sound good anymore!  Just like Nas said, HIP HOP IS DEAD!  Hip hop is dead ever since it went pop.  Hip Hop was about rebellion just like rock and roll.  Rap was used to challenge the government.

Written By: Jebusa on 03/11/09 at 4:57 pm

Ok Nicole, you say that rap has sold out because rap artists try to "kiss the mainstream's ass" to sell records.  Warrant, Winger, and Ratt were all very popular during the late 80s/early 90s that you speak so fondly of, and I would argue that they were all equally as "sold out" as most rap artists are today.  Do you disagree with that?

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/11/09 at 5:10 pm

Ok Nicole, you say that rap has sold out because rap artists try to "kiss the mainstream's ass" to sell records.  Warrant, Winger, and Ratt were all very popular during the late 80s/early 90s that you speak so fondly of, and I would argue that they were all equally as "sold out" as most rap artists are today.  Do you disagree with that?

I don't listen to rock music like that, but I believe that any genre that is diminshing their originality just to please the mainstream, then they sold out as well.  There's nothing like the original.  But if I have to choose between today and the 80s/90s, I will choose 80s/90s because it's more innovative and original than today.   

Written By: Samwise on 03/11/09 at 6:35 pm

Well Samwise, I would say that indie music and culture definitely stands for something.  The 00s have been riddled by mindless superhero movies, huge corporations, and commercial rap music.  Indie music rebels against these very things that have been defining this decade.  One might ask, "Well haven't these indie bands become the very thing they seek to rebel against?"  My answer is no, because while some indie bands such as the White Stripes and The Shins have had popular success, there music still embodies indie ideals because they don't make music for the sole purpose of selling it.

I think that the definition of "indie" has changed to the point where it's no longer a descriptor of artists who release their music independently, are signed to small labels, or simply don't make music just for money. It's become a catch-all term for any band that does stripped-down, sensitive, acoustic ballads. Many of the artists who fall under the modern category of "indie" would also be called indie in prior decades because they have a genuinely indie ethos. Others have an "indie sound" but are signed to major labels and certainly have commercial ambitions. I think that most artists don't make music for the sole purpose of selling it. I'll bet Miley Cyrus, for example, loves to sing and perform, and makes music because she enjoys it. "Indie" doesn't - or didn't - mean that the artist's love of music eclipses their commercial ambition. It used to mean controlling every aspect of the music from start to finish: doing it without the help of any corporation.

But it's not even the question of "how indie is indie" that I'm concerned with. It's the message in the music. Or, more accurately, the lack thereof. There's nothing really challenging or ground-breaking in either the music or the lyrics of most indie bands. It's all looking backwards. The sound is usually imitating the sounds of rock or folk-pop from decades ago. The lyrics never seem to consider the possibility of rebellion against anything; even the few political songs are mostly just sarcastic. And even the most original and unique lyrics in indie music are generally original and unique because they read like poems from the 1800s. So, again, looking backwards.

If I may, what do you think the message is behind hair metal?  I understand grunge music's message but while I enjoy listening to some 80s metal and New Wave, I fail to see what it stood for and what it rebelled against.  I have the utmost respect for bands like Van Halen, Guns 'n Roses, and Motley Crue but I only respect them because they all produced original sounding music.  However, I do think that all of those bands produced music for the sole purpose of making money.  So could someone please enlighten me to what there message actually is?

I didn't say hair metal had a message. I said "Yes, the 80's had hair bands, but it also had New Wave. It had the birth of electronic music." Meaning, hair bands were awful, but that's not all there was in the 80's. As for New Wave, I'm not particularly fond of it myself. I couldn't really tell you what message it had, or if it had a message (my best guess: "Everyone's conservative and I live in the suburbs and I'm sad.") but I am impressed by its unique sound. Electronic music was a brand-new thing in the 80's. It was original, it was new, it was something people had never heard before. It was an actual step forward for pop music. If the 00's can't give us music with a message, it could at least give us a new genre with an old message, but it's not even giving us that!

Written By: Jebusa on 03/11/09 at 11:13 pm

Hey Samwise, I just want to say that I very much appreciate your ability to support your claims with reason and logic.  You do raise some very good points.  I no longer feel the need to discuss this topic because I feel like it will just get repetitive and go around in circles.  Thanks for the great discussion man! Peace.

Written By: Davester on 03/12/09 at 7:20 am

As a whole, 2000 - 2009 sucked.  Did I hate everything about it?  No, but what I did hate overpowered more than what I did like

Actually that's what I was saying about the '80s at the turn of the decade... ;D

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/12/09 at 7:43 am

I think this was the decade where I think technology went OVERBOARD, and that it was the first decade where being "retro" was considered "cool", whereas in previous decades, you HAD to follow the times or people would make fun of you. I can't stand certain styles of tech from this technology; certain fonts; certain art styles, and I have shifted myself from being a liberal to a moderate this decade. Yes, there are still things I want to see improve, like enviornmental awareness. But as a Catholic, the rise of Christians converting to other faiths or becoming non-religious along with other issues such as Gay Rights alienated me and made me shift somewhat.

Written By: robby76 on 03/12/09 at 8:14 am

...and that it was the first decade where being "retro" was considered "cool", whereas in previous decades, you HAD to follow the times or people would make fun of you.

Not at all... in the 80s everything was about the 60s (Rags To Riches, Chubby Checker, Salt N Pepa "Twist&Shout", Dirty Dancing, rara skirts).

And in the 90s it was all about the 70s (disco remixes, 70s club nights, bellbottoms, CND chains).

Written By: Samwise on 03/12/09 at 11:04 am

Hey Samwise, I just want to say that I very much appreciate your ability to support your claims with reason and logic.  You do raise some very good points.  I no longer feel the need to discuss this topic because I feel like it will just get repetitive and go around in circles.  Thanks for the great discussion man! Peace.

Hey, thank you! It's good to have a disagreement with someone without fighting. That's a rare thing on message boards. ;)

Yes, there are still things I want to see improve, like enviornmental awareness. But as a Catholic, the rise of Christians converting to other faiths or becoming non-religious along with other issues such as Gay Rights alienated me and made me shift somewhat.
I know I probably shouldn't get into this, but I can't resist... Speaking as a gay guy, what about gay rights alienated you and caused you to shift away from liberalism?

Written By: joeman on 03/12/09 at 4:27 pm

I think this was the decade where I think technology went OVERBOARD, and that it was the first decade where being "retro" was considered "cool", whereas in previous decades, you HAD to follow the times or people would make fun of you. I can't stand certain styles of tech from this technology; certain fonts; certain art styles, and I have shifted myself from being a liberal to a moderate this decade. Yes, there are still things I want to see improve, like enviornmental awareness. But as a Catholic, the rise of Christians converting to other faiths or becoming non-religious along with other issues such as Gay Rights alienated me and made me shift somewhat.

Have to disagree with you there.  In the 90's, the 70s were just as popular as the 80s here now.  There were a lot of pot smokers back in the late 90s listening to Pink Floyd for example(me being introduced to pot, also listened to Pink Floyd).  Half of my brothers CD collections(at the time) consisted of Floyd, Rush, Led Zeppelin, etc..

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/12/09 at 9:08 pm

Not at all... in the 80s everything was about the 60s (Rags To Riches, Chubby Checker, Salt N Pepa "Twist&Shout", Dirty Dancing, rara skirts).

And in the 90s it was all about the 70s (disco remixes, 70s club nights, bellbottoms, CND chains).

This is true, Robby.  Remember that movie, Shag with Phoebe Cates and Bridget Fonda?  That movie was based on 1962, and that movie came out in 1988.  In the 1980s, there was a nostalgia of the 60s i.e. Motown 25, Dirty Dancing, the artists from the 60s making a comeback (Tina Turner), and the 90s was definitely about the 70s with a lot of 70s TV special taking place in the 90s, a lot of disco artists remaking their songs, a lot of 70s funk bands making a comeback, neo-soul was born in the mid 90s with the 70s flavor, movies like Inkwell, Dead Presidents taking place in the 70s.  I wore a pair of bell bottoms when I was 16 in 1993, so you are so right about your comment.

Written By: Ice on 03/14/09 at 2:16 pm

It's disappointing that there isn't a new breakout mainsteam genre music in this decade. It makes the pop culture of the decade seem not that much different than the late 90's. I guess everything's been done. It's amazing how different pop culture was between the late 80's and late 90's.

Written By: tv on 03/14/09 at 4:56 pm

It's disappointing that there isn't a new breakout mainsteam genre music in this decade. It makes the pop culture of the decade seem not that much different than the late 90's. I guess everything's been done. It's amazing how different pop culture was between the late 80's and late 90's.
There was a breakout mainstream music genre in the 00's and it was rap music. Music in 2003 was different anyways than it was in 1999.

Written By: joeman on 03/14/09 at 5:58 pm

I disagree here.  Nu-Metal was acceptable in the late 90s and all of the sudden became a loser genre in the 00s.

Written By: joeman on 03/24/09 at 2:01 pm

Mid 1980's to mid 1990's = Children of 60's Teens make the 60's retro
Hippy Chicks, Woodstock 2, Dharma and Greg, Austin Powers (although this was later in the 90's)

Don't forget The Door's movie. 

I think the Nirvana movie, when it comes out, will kick start the 90's retro.

Written By: Davester on 03/26/09 at 12:02 am

I think the Nirvana movie, when it comes out, will kick start the 90's retro.

Nirvana movie..?

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/26/09 at 4:28 am

I've written an essay a long time ago about this subject called "Retro Lag". Basically it's a way for the teenage youth of the time to honor their parent's culture when they were teens.

Mid 1970's to mid 1980's = Children of 50's Teens make the 50's retro
Happy Days, 50's colors and designs, Back to the Future

Mid 1980's to mid 1990's = Children of 60's Teens make the 60's retro
Hippy Chicks, Woodstock 2, Dharma and Greg, Austin Powers (although this was later in the 90's)

Mid 1990's to Mid 00's = Children of 70's Teens make the 70's retro
Early 00's Bell Bottom Pants, That 70's show

Not to mention the 70's had Animal House and Grease, the 90's had the movie Dazed and Confused. I'm looking forward to the culture being retro 90's. In fact, I think it's already starting. I know I'm rocking flannel shirts, and I see quite a few around. Although I don't really think flannel shirts were ever out of style, especially if you're Larry the Cable Guy.

Written By: Samwise on 03/26/09 at 8:26 am

I disagree here.  Nu-Metal was acceptable in the late 90s and all of the sudden became a loser genre in the 00s.

Am I the only one who thinks this is kind of sad? If you go back and listen to the original rap-rock, I mean Rage Against the Machine and Red Hot Chili Peppers, that genre had so much potential to be the next big thing, and even to bridge the gap between "white music" and "black music" and start to desegregate our culture. But then Fred Durst bust onto the scene and made the whole genre a thing for dumbass frat boys. Rap-rock, rap-metal, nu-metal, whatever you want to call it... I really think it could have and should have gone somewhere interesting. Linkin Park did something really neat, bringing techno into the mix, but unfortunately they came in too late to save the genre.

Oh well.

Written By: joeman on 03/26/09 at 5:18 pm

Am I the only one who thinks this is kind of sad? If you go back and listen to the original rap-rock, I mean Rage Against the Machine and Red Hot Chili Peppers, that genre had so much potential to be the next big thing, and even to bridge the gap between "white music" and "black music" and start to desegregate our culture. But then Fred Durst bust onto the scene and made the whole genre a thing for dumbass frat boys. Rap-rock, rap-metal, nu-metal, whatever you want to call it... I really think it could have and should have gone somewhere interesting. Linkin Park did something really neat, bringing techno into the mix, but unfortunately they came in too late to save the genre.

Oh well.

I agree with you here, I think people look at "Nu-Metal" when bands like Limp Bizkit, Crazy Train, Papa Roach, Disturbed, and all the other bands got big and not of bands like RATM, Sevendust, etc..  I still think this rap-rock fusion has potential, and it might make a comeback in the next decade.  Disco came back when it was hated for most of the 80s and early 90s.

Written By: joeman on 03/26/09 at 5:19 pm

Nirvana movie..?

Yes, Kurt Cobain is going to played by Ryan Gosling JR and Courtney Love is going to be played by Scarlett Johanson.  I think it will come out at 2011 which ironically 20 years since the The Doors movie.

Written By: Samwise on 03/26/09 at 10:27 pm

I agree with you here, I think people look at "Nu-Metal" when bands like Limp Bizkit, Crazy Train, Papa Roach, Disturbed, and all the other bands got big and not of bands like RATM, Sevendust, etc..  I still think this rap-rock fusion has potential, and it might make a comeback in the next decade.  Disco came back when it was hated for most of the 80s and early 90s.

I hope you're right about it coming back in the next decade. That would be sweet.

Courtney Love is going to be played by Scarlett Johanson.
???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!???

Written By: WestVirginiaRebel on 03/27/09 at 4:45 am

Has anyone noticed that Eighties style music seems to be making a comeback? The Eighties were a more optimistic time; maybe it's a reflection of the new Obama era.

Speaking of which...

Politically this decade wasn't anything to write home about. The Republicans abandoned traditional conservatism and embraced cynicism as a means of winning elections. It was an incredibly toxic environment to run for office in. It got so bad that Dubya's name became poison in the last election.

It was also the decade when we became transfixed by dysfunctional people with borderline personality disorders on TV, from reality shows like Rock of Love and so forth to TV dramas like The Shield and Rescue Me (both of which are nevertheless great shows). Celebrities showed what can happen when you become borderline or worse in real life, and you couldn't tell what was a publicity stunt and what wasn't anymore (Joaquin Phoenix, please call your therapist!)

The economy of the 90's popped like a soap bubble, first with the dot com crash and then with the economic meltdown that began with the mortgage crisis. China emerged as a new economic superpower.

At decade's end, we seem to be at a crossroads and where we go from here is anyone's guess.

Written By: Davester on 03/28/09 at 3:15 pm

Yes, Kurt Cobain is going to played by Ryan Gosling JR and Courtney Love is going to be played by Scarlett Johanson.  I think it will come out at 2011 which ironically 20 years since the The Doors movie.

Must they..?

Cobain is turning over in his grave...

Written By: joeman on 03/28/09 at 9:21 pm

Must they..?

Cobain is turning over in his grave...

It could be worse, Courtney Love now could have played the part of younger self.

Written By: goodbants on 06/17/20 at 1:14 am

Sorry to keep bringing up old topics but I think it makes for an interesting discussion. What do you think of what everyone was saying in 2009 about the 2000s? It seems like the 2000s were universally hated. Do you think people felt the same way about the 2010s last year in 2019? It seems to me like the 2010s weren’t quite as hated in 2019 as the 2000s were in 2009. Reading this thread has made me realize just how much the 2000s were despised at the end of 2009.

I honestly think the 2010s had better pop culture. It was more interesting and less stale because of the internet, memes, rise of YouTube culture, etc. We have great series on Netflix whereas in the 2000s you had trashy reality TV shows on MTV. Music is a lot more diverse and finding underground stuff is easier than ever. Music in 2009 was trash. Compare TikTok by Kesha and Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas to today’s Dua Lipa, the Weekend, and Billie Eilish. People are already nostalgic for the early 2010s so I think that tells you something.

Check for new replies or respond here...