inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which bands use a click track? Someone has some software to figure it out

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/02/09 at 6:35 pm

Over the last 20 years or so, the use of a click track (a kind of electronic metronome) has become widespread.  Some purists claim that it leads to more sterile music.  This guy wrote a software filter to figure out who is and isn't using a click track. I was kind of shocked a punk band like Green Day was using one.

Analysis of which artists use click tracks

Subject: Re: Which bands use a click track? Someone has some software to figure it out

Written By: ken on 03/03/09 at 1:58 am

seriously.. it's not much more relevant than some other aid.. like a capo for a guitar that allows a player to play otherwise unplayable stuff in the keys they prefer or want - or an amplifier that makes the otherwise limited sound of a guitar into a completely more huge sonic universe. it's just another tool.

humans seem to like predictability too, so it helps that happen for the beat in a song esp since most musicians aren't great in this respect in absolute accuracy. is it any different really to recording technology? ... the sound on yr iPod is digitally mashed - has heaps of electronic trickery working to produce the noise in your ears ... it ISN'T the sound that the band/singer/instrument/whatever made when it was performing "live", its something else but it's still cool and it makes the world great for most of us ... so why worry.

if you believe that a click track makes for sterile music, i'd guarantee way more than 50% of most ppls favourite tracks had one going when it was recorded.  if you like the song and the world it brings you, why give a f*** about what socks the singer wore or whether they had a clock tick tocking while they made magic?

Subject: Re: Which bands use a click track? Someone has some software to figure it out

Written By: Foote on 03/06/09 at 9:10 am

nice reply ken.

Serioucely your surprised that greenday use one? sure, greenday once were a decend band... the last 3years+ of their stuff makes my anus bleed. Its discusting pop sheesh that never should have been recorded!! they truly are masters of the 4 chord song!

I have no problem with click tracks, but it is a little sad that not as much heart goes into the recordings (not being specific or talking about every use of a click track!!!!).

eh, too tired.

Written By: Tia on 03/06/09 at 9:33 am

i think this picture is rock and roll in a nutshell.

http://musicmachinery.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/zep.png?w=450&h=337

i've been trying to learn to play drums last week or so and it aint that easy. i use metronomes and clicks pretty regularly and i find i often catch myself trying to speed up the beat. this is also a problem in any band i ever played in, everyone gets excited and speeds up.

as for click tracks themselves, i dunno, i'm torn. i think it's true that they make songs more antiseptic but on the other hand, they enable so much in recording and mixing it's often worth the price you pay. depends what kind of music you're playing.

Check for new replies or respond here...