inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Second earthquake hits coast town in Kent, UK

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/09 at 2:05 am

Full report on BBC News Online

An earthquake has shaken a coastal town in Kent - in nearly the same spot as a tremor two years ago.

The British Geological Survey (BGS) said it recorded the earthquake at 1435 GMT in Folkestone.

Assistant seismologist Julian Bukits said it had a 2.8 magnitude, compared with the quake in 2007 which was 4.3.

Resident Terri Julians said the earthquake "sounded like thunder and everything shook". She added: "It was quite scary but amazing."

Stewart Smith, who works in the east Kent town, said all the buildings shook for five seconds when the tremor hit.

He said offices in the area had been evacuated.

The epicentre of the 2007 quake was in the Channel, but this tremor was about three miles (5km) below Folkestone.

Subject: Re: Second earthquake hits coast town in Kent, UK

Written By: nally on 03/04/09 at 1:37 pm

Was this anywhere near you? If so, I hope you're okay Philip.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/09 at 4:51 am

Was this anywhere near you? If so, I hope you're okay Philip.
Folkestone is about 70 miles from me, I do know Folkestone very well, and I was there last month.

As the epicentre was under the English Channel I fear the worsr for the Channel Tunnel, is there an unknown fault line there?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/05/09 at 6:20 am

I think an unknown fault would be unlikely.  Building the Channel Tunnel despite the fault isn't

Check for new replies or respond here...