inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will Phil Collins ever make a comeback?

Written By: Tiramisu on 03/04/09 at 4:38 am

I love his music and I would love to see him get a new hit. Will he be working with Timbaland soon? lmao

Subject: Re: Will Phil Collins ever make a comeback?

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/04/09 at 11:35 am

If Timbaland is in the plan, I'd rather him stay retired....

Written By: whistledog on 03/04/09 at 8:51 pm

He didn't retire from singing, just from touring.  And if he did have another hit soon, I'm willing to bet that it would be massive in the UK, but almost nothing in North America :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/04/09 at 8:58 pm

He didn't retire from singing, just from touring.  And if he did have another hit soon, I'm willing to bet that it would be massive in the UK, but almost nothing in North America :(

He'd do well in North America as long as the record company pushed the tour.  Collins had several platinum albums over here in the '80s and '90s.  He wouldn't sell as big as he did 20 years ago, but everyone would make a tidy profit.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/04/09 at 9:06 pm

Anything can happen.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/04/09 at 10:17 pm

chances are, probably not.

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/04/09 at 10:32 pm

I don't think he will, at least not in the USA. Then again, you never know.

Written By: tv on 03/05/09 at 11:39 am

!.) No, Phil hasn't had a hit in the US since 1999 when "You'll Be in My Heart" charted in the Billboard Hot 100 in the top 25 somewhere.

2.) Phil has little kids now I mean I would think he would care more about being a good father to his kids than writing music. I mean after all when did Phil come into the music scene like in 1980 with "Genesis" I mean why even bother writing music when you have little kids to take care of when he was really popular in the 80's/early 90's.Yeah he did have a few hit records from 1994-1999 but he was nowhere near popular as he was from 1980-1992.

3.) He;s too old too compete in today's music scene. I mean the last time  the music scene was really adult in the US was 1996 before rap music exploded and the telecommunications act of 1996 came about in the radio industry.

Written By: Tiramisu on 03/05/09 at 12:21 pm

!.) No, Phil hasn't had a hit in the US since 1999 when "You'll Be in My Heart" charted in the Billboard Hot 100 in the top 25 somewhere.

2.) Phil has little kids now I mean I would think he would care more about being a good father to his kids than writing music. I mean after all when did Phil come into the music scene like in 1980 with "Genesis" I mean why even bother writing music when you have little kids to take care of when he was really popular in the 80's/early 90's.Yeah he did have a few hit records from 1994-1999 but he was nowhere near popular as he was from 1980-1992.

3.) He;s too old too compete in today's music scene. I mean the last time  the music scene was really adult in the US was 1996 before rap music exploded and the telecommunications act of 1996 came about in the radio industry.

That's a good point. You sometimes forget that your favorite artists are real people just like you and not just music-making machines. He's a great guy though.

:)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/05/09 at 3:58 pm

I didn't know Phil was still alive.  :o

I liked "Sussidio" and "In The Air Tonight". Those are my jams!  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/09 at 5:05 pm

I didn't know Phil was still alive.  :o

If Phil had croaked you would have definitely heard in the affirmative.

I liked "Sussidio" and "In The Air Tonight". Those are my jams!  :)

"In The Air Tonight" is a great song; however, I remember when "Sussidio" was in heavy rotation, it made me want to drive an icepick into my ear drums after awhile!  BUT, no matter what, Phil gets a tip of the hat from me because he was a session drummer on one of my all-time favorite albums: Brian Eno's "Another Green World."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pfiade.gif

Written By: Tam on 03/06/09 at 1:11 pm

Sorry, but he isn't too old to compete in today's music scene. Charlie Wilson has done it and he is 55. 3 years younger than Phil.
I don't understand the generalization you put on the music scene. I don't think I ever will.

Written By: EthanM on 03/06/09 at 2:42 pm

He's not going to cause Jonas Brothers level excitement, but I don't think he was ever a teen idol. He's definitely not too old put put out successful albums and sell out concerts if he wants to - I think Bruce Springsteen is older than Phil.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/06/09 at 3:51 pm

He's not going to cause Jonas Brothers level excitement, but I don't think he was ever a teen idol. He's definitely not too old put put out successful albums and sell out concerts if he wants to - I think Bruce Springsteen is older than Phil.

BRUUUUUUCE!!!!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

Yeah, Springsteen turns 60 this year.

I've got Phil's d.o.b. as 1/30/51 and
Bruce's d.o.b. as 9/23/49

Written By: Frank on 03/07/09 at 1:08 am

Phil has been around since about 1970, when he was drummer for Genesis and Peter Gabriel sang lead.
1999 was hit last hit. 30 years in the industry isn't bad. He's almost 60 now.

I have seen him 4 times in concert (twice solo, twice with Genesis)...I love many of  his songs (esp the early genesis stuff),

and I also dislike Sussudio.

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/07/09 at 12:48 pm

Never say never, he was just on tour with Genesis last year, I got Live Over Europe for Christmas. Testify, in 2002, was a great album, but I don't think all the right songs went to the radio. "Wake Up Call" and "Come With Me" were excellent, but "The Least You Can Do" was a little too slow-paced, and "Can't Stop Loving You" was the weakest song on the album, and no wonder, Phil didn't write it!
I keep hoping we'll hear at least one more album from Phil, maybe even one more Genesis studio CD. Keep your fingers crossed!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: tv on 03/07/09 at 6:07 pm

Sorry, but he isn't too old to compete in today's music scene. Charlie Wilson has done it and he is 55. 3 years younger than Phil.
I don't understand the generalization you put on the music scene. I don't think I ever will.
What do you mean the generalization that I put on the music scene? Can you clarify please?

Check for new replies or respond here...