inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How will the Chris Brown/Rihanna case change music?

Written By: Tiramisu on 03/04/09 at 9:04 pm

Will we not hear any more Chris Brown songs (what a loss  ::)). What will happen to Rihanna's career, and music in general?

Subject: Re: How will the Chris Brown/Rihanna case change music?

Written By: whistledog on 03/04/09 at 9:17 pm

Who cares about that.  What I wanna know is when Rihanna is gonna appear in Playboy Magazine :D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/04/09 at 10:53 pm

Will we not hear any more Chris Brown songs (what a loss  ::)). What will happen to Rihanna's career, and music in general?

I really don't think Chris Brown or Rihanna is that influential. They weren't like Michael Jackson and Madonna in the 80's. There was something different about Michael and Madonna while Chris Brown and Rihanna seem just like regular old popstars to me.

I think Chris Brown will have one more hit album, then go away and Rihanna will go away after 2 more years. Lol.  :(

Written By: Brian06 on 03/04/09 at 11:40 pm

I doubt it will have any effect lol.

Written By: Jessica on 03/04/09 at 11:51 pm

I really don't think Chris Brown or Rihanna is that influential. They weren't like Michael Jackson and Madonna in the 80's. There was something different about Michael and Madonna while Chris Brown and Rihanna seem just like regular old popstars to me.

I think Chris Brown will have one more hit album, then go away and Rihanna will go away after 2 more years. Lol.  :(

No, they're more like Ike and Tina.

And if any of you young whippernsappers ask me who Ike and Tina are, I'm going to demand the mods ban you.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/05/09 at 6:44 am

^ Yeah

Like this kind of thing doesn't happen in the world of celebrities.  Domestic violence didn't hurt Bogart,  Jerry Lee Lewis, James Brown, Eminem to name but a few.

Written By: tv on 03/05/09 at 11:19 am

^ Yeah

Like this kind of thing doesn't happen in the world of celebrities.  Domestic violence didn't hurt Bogart,  Jerry Lee Lewis, James Brown, Eminem to name but a few.
Yeah but the difference is Borgart, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Eminem didn't hit a woman celebrity like Chris Brown did I don;t think.

Written By: Tam on 03/05/09 at 11:26 am

Yeah but the difference is Borgart, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Eminem didn't hit a woman celebrity like Chris Brown did I don;t think.

Yet there are every day, regular people who go through this daily, and we make no big deal of it.
So what, they are a couple of pop stars.

The real issue is Domestic Violence in general.

Written By: tv on 03/05/09 at 11:29 am

Your right Chris Brown and Rihanna didn;t have the overall star power across different types of age groups of fans or as influential as Madonna and Michael were but Chris Brown and Rihanna are 2 of the biggest musical artists of the past 3 and a half years though.

On the other hand in my own opinion could this could be the break that rock music needs. Chris Brown's and Rihanna career's won;t be the same after this in my opinion. I mean remember 1989 when New Kids On the Block, and Milli Vanilli were on the charts and than all of a sudden Milli Vanilli was a big scam overall and pretty much led to an end of the teen-pop era a year later in late 1991 when "Nirvana" hit big.

To go back to the Milli Vanilli thing remember Ashlee Simpson and her lipsynching on SNL, her singing career was never the same after that.

Written By: guest on 03/05/09 at 11:38 am

To go back to the Milli Vanilli thing remember Ashlee Simpson and her lipsynching on SNL, her singing career was never the same after that.

What? It wasn't because of that. Her new songs and her image just became boring.

There's a difference here. Milli Vanilli didn't sing any of their songs at all. Someone else sang for them. Ashlee Simpson just got caught lip syncing her studio track that she sang herself. Hence the reason why the public reaction with Milli Vanilli was much harsher compared to the small giggles about Ashlee's goof up.

Written By: Jessica on 03/05/09 at 2:17 pm

It matters not.  Like Tam said, it is all abuse.  And I did mention Ike and Tina, who were both famous in their own right.

Your right Chris Brown and Rihanna didn;t have the overall star power across different types of age groups of fans or as influential as Madonna and Michael were but Chris Brown and Rihanna are 2 of the biggest musical artists of the past 3 and a half years though.

On the other hand in my own opinion could this could be the break that rock music needs. Chris Brown's and Rihanna career's won;t be the same after this in my opinion. I mean remember 1989 when New Kids On the Block, and Milli Vanilli were on the charts and than all of a sudden Milli Vanilli was a big scam overall and pretty much led to an end of the teen-pop era a year later in late 1991 when "Nirvana" hit big.

This is just so "WTF?" that I can't even respond.  Jesus bottle smashing Christ.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/05/09 at 2:35 pm

It matters not.  Like Tam said, it is all abuse.  And I did mention Ike and Tina, who were both famous in their own right.

The question is, though, will it affect their careers.  In the long run, no.  Domestic abuse is just another photo op for their PR people.  Chris Brown should be in jail, instead he is jet skiing in Florida.  Rihanna should be in therapy, instead she is standing by her man.  Their fans will stay their fans and continue to subsidize Chris' lifestyle.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/05/09 at 2:45 pm

This just in, they are charging him.  Hopefully, there is some way to keep them apart.

www.usatoday.com/life/people/2009-03-05-chris-brown-charges_N.htm

Written By: Tiramisu on 03/05/09 at 2:48 pm

This just in, they are charging him.  Hopefully, there is some way to keep them apart.

www.usatoday.com/life/people/2009-03-05-chris-brown-charges_N.htm

:) :)

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/05/09 at 4:04 pm

I could care less about those two because I don't like their music, but on the other hand, I don't like how Chris Brown be hitting on her.  What burns me up is when men hit women.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/05/09 at 7:09 pm

I'm with whistledog.

When are we gonna see Riri do a Playboy spread? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/06/09 at 4:06 pm

When are we gonna see "Chris Brown's Greatest Hits"?

Oh, pardon me...
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

Written By: EthanM on 03/06/09 at 4:25 pm

Oh, pardon me...
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

Ba-Da-Bum!

From what I read, I wouldn't be surprised to hear about an attempted murder charge

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/09 at 7:29 pm

The moment someone puts out a hit on him ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/06/09 at 7:48 pm

The moment someone puts out a hit on him ;D

I'd hit it.

Written By: Jessica on 03/06/09 at 7:53 pm

I'd hit it.

Chris Brown?  I'd hit him too.....with a 2x4.

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/09 at 8:06 pm

Chris Brown?  I'd hit him too.....with a 2x4.

I'd drive over him with a 4x4

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/06/09 at 8:12 pm

You know what?  One thing about our teen idols from the 80s and 90s, you never hear any of them beating up on women at a young age like Chris Brown.  I mean, he's 19 for crying out loud.  It's getting younger and younger.  He's making young black boys thinking that it's ok to beat up on young black girls.  We need to stop this!!!!

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/06/09 at 8:17 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/07/09 at 6:25 pm

Then he could go to hell and do the boogaloo with Ike Turner!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/fifevil.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 03/08/09 at 6:50 am

You know what?  One thing about our teen idols from the 80s and 90s, you never hear any of them beating up on women at a young age like Chris Brown.  I mean, he's 19 for crying out loud.  It's getting younger and younger.  He's making young black boys thinking that it's ok to beat up on young black girls.  We need to stop this!!!!

Just because you never heard about it doesn't mean it didn't happen, and ethnicity doesn't have anything to do with it.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/08/09 at 7:41 am

Just because you never heard about it doesn't mean it didn't happen, and ethnicity doesn't have anything to do with it.

Ethnicity may not have anything to do with it, BUT as African-Americans, we've already been stereotyped wrongly enough, and Chris Brown ain't making it any better.  He need to set a positive image for black boys because they look up to him.  Wrong is wrong, no matter what color, true, but blacks needs something or someone positive to represent, and for Chris Brown, a black man, to beat up Rihanna, a black woman, he is sending a wrong message to make it seem that it's ok to disrespect black women.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/08/09 at 9:26 am

Ethnicity may not have anything to do with it, BUT as African-Americans, we've already been stereotyped wrongly enough, and Chris Brown ain't making it any better.  He need to set a positive image for black boys because they look up to him.  Wrong is wrong, no matter what color, true, but blacks needs something or someone positive to represent, and for Chris Brown, a black man, to beat up Rihanna, a black woman, he is sending a wrong message to make it seem that it's ok to disrespect black women.

Would it have been any better if he had beat up a white women?  Ori if some white dude had beat up Riri instead?

What if Perez Hilton had beat up Paris Hilton?

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/08/09 at 9:36 am

Would it have been any better if he had beat up a white women?  Ori if some white dude had beat up Riri instead?

What if Perez Hilton had beat up Paris Hilton?
  That will also be a big deal as well, no matter what.  If Rihanna was white, and Chris Brown beat her up, he will be in jail in 5 seconds, but because Rihanna is black, trust me, it wouldn't be a big deal because this country doesn't value black women the way they value white women.  I'm just telling the truth.  If a white man beats up Rihanna, it still wouldn't be a big deal.  I notice that if something bad happens to black women, it wouldn't be on the front page unless she's a celebrity like Rihanna.  A white woman can be a nobody, and still, when things bad happen to them, it will be all over the news.  That goes to show you how racist and how bias this country is.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/08/09 at 9:44 am

That will also be a big deal as well, no matter what.  If a black man beats up white women, he will be in jail in 5 seconds, but because he beats up Rihanna, trust me, it wouldn't be a big deal because this country doesn't value black women the way they value white women.  I'm just telling the truth.  If a white man beats up Rihanna, it still wouldn't be a big deal.  I notice that if somethng bad happen to black women, it wouldn't be on the front page unless she's a celebrity like Rihanna.  A white woman can be a nobody, and still when things bad happen to them, it will be all over the news.  That goes to show you how racist and how bias this country is.

I hear you, but Rihanna, a black woman, does not seem to be making much of a fuss over this (why I don't know, she should sppeak out).  Puff Diddly, a black dude, appears to be OK with all this because he sponsored an image-rehabilitation session for Chris at one of his houses.  Enteratinment figures (mostly black, but also quite a few whites) have all come out with gushy-gushy talk about what a good kid Chris is.  If America is biased against black women then said bias must cut across racial lines.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/08/09 at 9:58 am

I hear you, but Rihanna, a black woman, does not seem to be making much of a fuss over this (why I don't know, she should sppeak out).  Puff Diddly, a black dude, appears to be OK with all this because he sponsored an image-rehabilitation session for Chris at one of his houses.  Enteratinment figures (mostly black, but also quite a few whites) have all come out with gushy-gushy talk about what a good kid Chris is.  If America is biased against black women then said bias must cut across racial lines.

Exactly!  You hit the nail.  Wrong is wrong, and Chris Brown need to be locked under the jail for beating up a woman, and to make it real interesting, check this out, RIHANNA TOOK HIM BACK!!!!!!  WTF????  Now what kind of crap is that?????  I wouldn't take NO MAN back if he hits me or any woman.  Once a woman beater is a woman beater unless God changes his heart, and you're right, Rihanna didn't make such a big fuss about it.  She should.  Even though I don't like today's music and I don't like none of her songs, I feel that she should get respected as a woman.  Chris has no business putting his hands on her.  We as women are the weaker sex.  We are NOT men.  Puffy needs to be smacked for supporting a woman beater like Chris Brown.  He never care much about black women anyway.  I mean look at how he treated his ex-girlfriend, Kim?  So you know that he's going to go for it.  It's a shame that black entertainers will still support Chris Brown even though he beats up women, especially black women.  I'm a black woman, and if I feel that my image is being attacked, I'm going to speak on it.  What the black entertainers need to do is stop supporting other black entertainers that doesn't respect women.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/09/09 at 7:39 am

That will also be a big deal as well, no matter what.  If Rihanna was white, and Chris Brown beat her up, he will be in jail in 5 seconds, but because Rihanna is black, trust me, it wouldn't be a big deal because this country doesn't value black women the way they value white women.  I'm just telling the truth.  If a white man beats up Rihanna, it still wouldn't be a big deal.  I notice that if something bad happens to black women, it wouldn't be on the front page unless she's a celebrity like Rihanna.  A white woman can be a nobody, and still, when things bad happen to them, it will be all over the news.  That goes to show you how racist and how bias this country is.

Just because the country has a national bias doesn't mean we, as women, must perpetuate that bias, and to begin that we have to stop the rhetoric.  I believe it would be better to say that this man beat this woman and condemn it as such. I think you are wrong in thinking that if a white man beat up Rihanna it wouldn't have been a big deal.  It would have been because of the celebrity factor.  Considering that women are beaten, raped, and murdered, everyday, it is true that in circusmtances of domestic abuse, under privileged white women are discriminated against as much as anyone

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/09/09 at 7:56 am

Just because the country has a national bias doesn't mean we, as women, must perpetuate that bias, and to begin that we have to stop the rhetoric.  I believe it would be better to say that this man beat this woman and condemn it as such. I think you are wrong in thinking that if a white man beat up Rihanna it wouldn't have been a big deal.  It would have been because of the celebrity factor.  Considering that women are beaten, raped, and murdered, everyday, it is true that in circusmtances of domestic abuse, under privileged white women are discriminated against as much as anyone

Yeah, it's true because we live in a sexist society that think it's ok to treat women as second class by beating up on them, murder them and such, but the truth is that regardless of class, a white woman, famous or not, will get help for domestic abuse FASTER than a black woman, and that's the truth.  There's no denying it.  I see this everyday in my neighborhood. Black women get beat up, and nobody is there to help them whereas a white woman who suffers domestic violence will get help, and the police will lock the abuser up.  White women are more valued than black women.  It's the truth.  The only time a black woman gets help for domestic violence is if she is a celebrity.  Case and point, if Rihanna was not a celebrity, she WILL NOT get help for domestic violence like a white women will because this country is not only sexist, but it's racist as well, and black women have to suffer being black AND female.  It doesn't matter if a white woman is under privilege or not, she will still be valued enough for someone to rescue her from domestic violence because the system is in her favor.  The system is not in a black woman's favore unless she's famous.  It's the truth.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/09/09 at 12:50 pm

Yeah, it's true because we live in a sexist society that think it's ok to treat women as second class by beating up on them, murder them and such, but the truth is that regardless of class, a white woman, famous or not, will get help for domestic abuse FASTER than a black woman, and that's the truth.  There's no denying it.  I see this everyday in my neighborhood. Black women get beat up, and nobody is there to help them whereas a white woman who suffers domestic violence will get help, and the police will lock the abuser up.  White women are more valued than black women.  It's the truth.  The only time a black woman gets help for domestic violence is if she is a celebrity.  Case and point, if Rihanna was not a celebrity, she WILL NOT get help for domestic violence like a white women will because this country is not only sexist, but it's racist as well, and black women have to suffer being black AND female.  It doesn't matter if a white woman is under privilege or not, she will still be valued enough for someone to rescue her from domestic violence because the system is in her favor.  The system is not in a black woman's favore unless she's famous.  It's the truth.

Where do you live?

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/09/09 at 4:16 pm

Where do you live?

I live in Philadelphia, the urban part of Philly.  North Philly.  I grew up in the middle class part of Philly, but I live in North Philly by myself now.  I be seeing black women get beat up around here, and I RARELY see the police helping them.  Whereas when I was living in a middle class integrated neighborhood, when a white woman gets beat up by her boyfriend, husband or whoever, the police is there to the rescue.  It's not like that around here.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/09/09 at 5:40 pm

I live in Philadelphia, the urban part of Philly.  North Philly.  I grew up in the middle class part of Philly, but I live in North Philly by myself now.  I be seeing black women get beat up around here, and I RARELY see the police helping them.  Whereas when I was living in a middle class integrated neighborhood, when a white woman gets beat up by her boyfriend, husband or whoever, the police is there to the rescue.  It's not like that around here.

North Philadelphia's in some severe economic distress, isn't it? 

I find once there is enough poverty and devastation associated with a neighborhood, cities tend to shrug off crime and suffering in the area. 
"Avenue X?  Oh, that place is a mess!  All kinds of crap happens down there."
Once the city can write off a whole area as "the ghetto," there is a classist attitude that the lives of the people who live there are less valuable.  I'm wary of applying too many "isms" to things, but what you're saying is correct from what I have observed.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/09/09 at 7:49 pm

Nicole,

I'm going to share something with you that hardly anyone around here knows about.  I am sharing it with you to prove a point.  I am white.  The man I refer to here was an African-American professor (I was never his student).  There was about a 12 yr age difference as well as an educational difference (my degree was BA, he had his PhD).  You say that women, regardless of privilege will be "rescued"....I am here to tell you that is not always so.  He hit me at Michigan Adventure (a family amusement park, think Cedar Point on a REALLY tight budget).  He hit me in the back of my head (so I didn't see it coming) and sent me flying forward because I lost my balance.  He did it in front of a LOT of people including a SECURITY GUARD.  My point is that neither the security guard nor the other people did ANYTHING to help me....not even check to make sure I was ok.  It's like no one saw anything.  Of course we went home right after that and I told him we were over.  It took another 6 months for him to get the point.  During that six months, he left threatening phone messages.  I went to the cops, but because he hadn't come over and threatened me, all they could do was go to his house and "talk" to him.  You can imagine the good that did.  The threats escalated, but thank God only on the phone.  I would come home before picking my daughter up and tape them to my mini tape recorder then erase them from the answering machine so she wouldn't hear them.  I was so scared he was going to kill me, I kept the recorder right next to the phone so the police would find it when they found my body.

I understand this is only one instance, but I just want to make sure that you qualify your generalizations to what you have experienced in Philly, that's all.  Where I live, the police did not come to my rescue....not when he hit me, not when he threatened me.  Just so you know.

Sorry, Q, I know that wouldn't have happened if you'd been around.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/09/09 at 8:24 pm

North Philadelphia's in some severe economic distress, isn't it? 

I find once there is enough poverty and devastation associated with a neighborhood, cities tend to shrug off crime and suffering in the area. 
"Avenue X?  Oh, that place is a mess!  All kinds of crap happens down there."
Once the city can write off a whole area as "the ghetto," there is a classist attitude that the lives of the people who live there are less valuable.  I'm wary of applying too many "isms" to things, but what you're saying is correct from what I have observed.

Thank you.  I just want everybody to know that I'm not a racist person at all.  I'm just talking about the unfairness in this country, that's all.  I think this is a class thing.  Like I said in my previous post, if Rihanna was a nobody, her situation wouldn't matter.  It is what it is.  Nevertheless, Chris was wrong for doing that to her, and then like a dumb dumb, she took him back.  With that situation, I can do bad all by myself.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/09/09 at 8:35 pm

Nicole,

I'm going to share something with you that hardly anyone around here knows about.  I am sharing it with you to prove a point.  I am white.  The man I refer to here was an African-American professor (I was never his student).  There was about a 12 yr age difference as well as an educational difference (my degree was BA, he had his PhD).  You say that women, regardless of privilege will be "rescued"....I am here to tell you that is not always so.  He hit me at Michigan Adventure (a family amusement park, think Cedar Point on a REALLY tight budget).  He hit me in the back of my head (so I didn't see it coming) and sent me flying forward because I lost my balance.  He did it in front of a LOT of people including a SECURITY GUARD.  My point is that neither the security guard nor the other people did ANYTHING to help me....not even check to make sure I was ok.  It's like no one saw anything.  Of course we went home right after that and I told him we were over.  It took another 6 months for him to get the point.  During that six months, he left threatening phone messages.  I went to the cops, but because he hadn't come over and threatened me, all they could do was go to his house and "talk" to him.  You can imagine the good that did.  The threats escalated, but thank God only on the phone.  I would come home before picking my daughter up and tape them to my mini tape recorder then erase them from the answering machine so she wouldn't hear them.  I was so scared he was going to kill me, I kept the recorder right next to the phone so the police would find it when they found my body.

I understand this is only one instance, but I just want to make sure that you qualify your generalizations to what you have experienced in Philly, that's all.  Where I live, the police did not come to my rescue....not when he hit me, not when he threatened me.  Just so you know.

Sorry, Q, I know that wouldn't have happened if you'd been around.

I'm sorry that you have to go through that.  I really am.  That goes to show you how sexist society is.  With this incident between Rihanna and Chris Brown, it's serious.  It just doesn't happen in Philly.  It happens in every urban part of the city in America.  It just wasn't televised as much, but it does happen.  In the black community, they don't believe in snitching or whatever that is.  I think that it's dangerous because they don't care about the women and children enough to protect them.  I believe in women's rights, andI believe that women shouldn't be treated as second class and I think that Rihanna should stand up and speak about this.

Written By: Gis on 03/10/09 at 4:35 am

And now they are getting married...................

Written By: danootaandme on 03/10/09 at 5:42 am

:o

Written By: statsqueen on 03/10/09 at 7:34 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gif

Please tell me that either you are kidding or it is a terrible rumor started by some gossip rag.....

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/10/09 at 3:12 pm

WTF?  :o :o :o :o

Written By: anabel on 03/10/09 at 4:49 pm

WTF?  :o :o :o :o

Double WTF??????

I'm sure the only reason he would marry her is to keep controlling her and ensure that she cannot/will be too afraid to testify against him.  I felt sorry for her at first, but she's got to think about things rationally somehow-if he has done it now, he WILL do it again. Flowers, apologies, singing duets together or touring together does NOT mean he won't flip out on her again. Whether or not she wants to be, she is a role model for younger women, and if they see her take him back, she is showing women that it's ok to be weak and accept abuse. Her taking him back is sending the wrong message.  She needs to get her own identity away from him and realize she does not have to take that and she can find a better man who will respect her and treat her right.  I have wondered if she could lose her Cover Girl deal because of this? They are hoping to identify with strong confident women and she is not being that now. They could say that she is not representing them properly. I hope she gets herself together soon...next time he really might kill her.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/10/09 at 8:13 pm

Double WTF??????

I'm sure the only reason he would marry her is to keep controlling her and ensure that she cannot/will be too afraid to testify against him.  I felt sorry for her at first, but she's got to think about things rationally somehow-if he has done it now, he WILL do it again. Flowers, apologies, singing duets together or touring together does NOT mean he won't flip out on her again. Whether or not she wants to be, she is a role model for younger women, and if they see her take him back, she is showing women that it's ok to be weak and accept abuse. Her taking him back is sending the wrong message.  She needs to get her own identity away from him and realize she does not have to take that and she can find a better man who will respect her and treat her right.  I have wondered if she could lose her Cover Girl deal because of this? They are hoping to identify with strong confident women and she is not being that now. They could say that she is not representing them properly. I hope she gets herself together soon...next time he really might kill her.

Maybe they "have" to get married...  :-\\  :o

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/10/09 at 11:54 pm

Double WTF??????

I just don't get it.  These young girls, especially young black girls, are looking up to her as a role model.  Like you said, she's making us women look bad when she took this bastard back.  I mean, WTF!  She must have low self-esteem because she need to realize what she's doing.  She's giving men like Chris Brown some power.  As women in this sexist society, we need a backbone.  We need to stand up for ourselves and say NO to abuse whether if it's emotional, physical, mental, spiritual, or verbal.  We can't give abusive men the power.  I feel sorry for her for the fact that she feels like she can't live without him.  She's a beautiful woman that can get any man that she wants.  She has money on her own.  She doesn't need him.  I guess the sex must be very good for her to come back to him.  WHAT A WASTE! :(

Check for new replies or respond here...