inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Power Rangers officially cancelled

Written By: Master Phunt on 03/10/09 at 7:52 pm

Power Rangers Gets Canned after 17 years and about a dozen hundreds incarnations like "Jungle Fever", "Mystic Storm", "Opporation Overdrive", and the "Emo Rangers"

original theme
"Emo Rangers"
final scene from "Jungle Fury" season"Emo Rangers Christmas special"
"Power Rangers: RPM" the final season

LIGHTS OUT FOR 'POWER RANGERS'

THE plug has been pulled on the once-mighty "Power Rangers."

After 17 years, Disney has stopped producing new episodes of the show that was a pop-culture touchstone of the '90s.

Apparently, the five color-coded superheroes - Green Ranger, Red Ranger, Blue Ranger, etc. - are still selling a lot of toys, but have become passé as a TV show.

There was no official word from Disney, which owns the show. But the cast and crew were informed this week that the show has been dropped, according to reports in the local papers in New Zealand, where the series has been produced since 2003.

The show will likely still be on the air for some time - in repeats. But no new ones will be made.

The series, about superheroes who can don and doff their costumes instantaneously to fight the bad guys, was based on a Japanese series.

It began as "The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" on Saturday mornings on Fox in 1993 and moved to ABC and Disney's kids cable channels in 2003.

The show, while hardly controversial, did have its detractors.

Some local stations dropped it from their Saturday morning lineups in 2006 when the FCC said the rock-'em-sock-'em series did not comply with government requirements to air a certain number of hours of educational programming each week.

Subject: Re: Power Rangers officially cancelled

Written By: snozberries on 03/10/09 at 8:14 pm

that was still on the air?

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/09 at 8:49 pm

that was still on the air?

I thought the same thing.  I thought it was cancelled years ago

Amy Jo Johnson, who played the original pink ranger is now a co-star on the CBS/CTV action drama 'Flashpoint'

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/10/09 at 9:00 pm

Please tell me that they will not cancel production of Mutant Ninja Teenage Turtles

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/11/09 at 8:10 am

Honestly, this series should have been canceled after the 1998 Power Rangers In Space season. That was the conclusion of a continous storyline that began from episode 1. That fall, Pokemon premiered, and as you know in 1999, Spongebob premeired, and considering they recycled the plot/characters annualy since the 1999 Lost Galaxy season, it was already dead. For nostalgia purposes, I'd only watch the first six seasons.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/09 at 8:11 am

Power Rangers was ages ago?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/11/09 at 9:32 pm

Oh well, it was good while it last.

Written By: whistledog on 03/12/09 at 12:51 am

Oh well, it was good while it last.

It was good? :D

Written By: whistledog on 03/12/09 at 12:54 am

I can only assume the Power Rangers had different story lines and new characters as the show progressed?

When I remember it being popular in the 90s, the Power Rangers were Teens.  I can't see today's kids watching the "Mighty Morphin Middle Agers".  Saving the world, with aspercreme on their joints and a girdle against their midsections :D

Batman had "BAM!" and "POW!".  The Mighty Morphin Middle Agers have "GASP!" and "WHEEZE" :D

Written By: Master Phunt on 03/12/09 at 1:45 am

Anna Hutchinson, the "Jungle Fury" Yellow Ranger/squeaky clean Lilly does a nude scene in "Underbelly" in New Zealand  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/09 at 2:06 am

Anna Hutchinson, the "Jungle Fury" Yellow Ranger/squeaky clean Lilly does a nude scene in "Underbelly" in New Zealand  :o
Is that the reason for officially cancelling the Power Rangers?

Check for new replies or respond here...