inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smash Hit "Jai Ho"

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/22/09 at 8:14 am

I was watching the VH-1 Countdown today and I see there is a song in the Top Ten entitled "Jai Ho".

Is this supposed to be some sort of shot at Jennifer Lopez, a.k.a., "J-Lo" ?  ???

Subject: Re: Smash Hit "Jai Ho"

Written By: Jessica on 03/22/09 at 11:04 am

I was watching the VH-1 Countdown today and I see there is a song in the Top Ten entitled "Jai Ho".

Is this supposed to be some sort of shot at Jennifer Lopez, a.k.a., "J-Lo" ?  ???

It's a song from "Slumdog Millionaire".  Quite good, actually.  I'm hoping more Bollywood/Indian music will become popular now, thanks to the success of that movie.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 03/22/09 at 2:28 pm

Where were you during the Oscars??  ;)  LOL  Yeah it is a song from Slumdog Millionaire by A R Rahman and he got on oscar for it.

Actually was kind of a bitter-sweet moment for DH Bijon....he wants to go make movies in Bangladesh someday and wanted to use Rahman since he's always been a favorite..... But now after Rahman has 2 oscars, the price goes up  :P

Here's another good Rahman song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXTJe4b0D7Y

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/09 at 8:37 pm

I like the song too.  It's high time Bollywood movies and music started making it's mark around the world

There was a romantic comedy a few years back called 'Bride and Prejudice' about an American who falls in love with a girl from India.  Never saw it, but always thought it looked like a good movie, and at the time was a major attempt to break Bollywood into Hollywood

One of the best hommages to Bollywood I thought was the video for Basement Jaxx's 2000 hit Romeo.  The main dancer in that video is very attractive

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/22/09 at 9:42 pm

Maybe Sangina Malakar (of American Idol fame) could help the transition to popularizing Indian music...  ???

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/09 at 11:59 pm

Maybe Sangina Malakar (of American Idol fame) could help the transition to popularizing Indian music...  ???

The only thing he could popularize is empty theatres :D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/09 at 4:26 am

Could this be the next trend for the 2010's? Bollywood music?!

That'll be so cool!

So sensual, cool, aggressive, exotic, fun!

Written By: Samwise on 03/26/09 at 8:20 am

Oh, you've got to see Slumdog Millionaire. It's a fantastic movie with a fantastic soundtrack. "Jai Ho" rocks!

Another great song from the soundtrack is "Latika's Theme." Gorgeous.

Written By: Stompgal on 03/27/09 at 6:39 am

I've heard a version of that music featuring vocals from The Pussycat Dolls and it's rather catchy if truth be told.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/09 at 9:47 am

I've heard a version of that music featuring vocals from The Pussycat Dolls and it's rather catchy if truth be told.
Radio2 has been playing these alomst everyday now, it sounds to be a huge hit, as was with the film.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/29/09 at 7:21 am

Yeah, that is a good song. I think I like the original version better than the remix with PCD.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/29/09 at 7:31 am

Quite definitely.  There is nothing that can't be helped with a little PCD action...

Check for new replies or respond here...