inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Internet Project

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/22/09 at 11:19 pm

"The Internet Project".

Subject: Re: The Internet Project

Written By: 80sfan on 03/22/09 at 11:48 pm

Finally, someone who sounds like they actually give a crap about the world!  :)

If you're a youngster, then you're a rare one!

Anyways, I think the internet can be used to to transfer information. I prefer a book than reading from the internet. But the internet is like an online library. You can find almost anything!

Also, you can learn about philosophy, essays, and 'get started' on the questions our society has and chat with people who seem to share the same concerns. We can 'start' to find answers to big problems in our society by using the internet. Sorry for the annoying quotations, but I wanted to emphasize that the internet is only the beggining and that it doesn't have everything.

Subject: Re: The Internet Project

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/23/09 at 11:51 pm

These few suggestions may already be covered in some of your previous points (I'm not sure how detailed you want them to be.)

I use the internet (and before that, Computer Bulletin Boards in my local area) to meet people, make friends.  Not necessarily because we share a hobby or really anything in common as much as we are congregating in the same place at the same time.  I am extremely shy in real life, and for some reason, for me, talking online takes the pressure of having to "perform" as a personality that I don't feel comfortable with expressing face-to-face.  On occasion, we'll set up times to meet offline to eat, meet, and greet, just to have a face to go with the name.

I've used the internet to find relatives of relatives.  Basically before the internet, I knew nothing about my great grandparents brothers and sisters and their offspring.  Now I have contacts and photographs from people all over the world, about people that have long been dead and whose only information they've left behind is what is written on their gravestone.

Internet can be used to hunt down criminals or missing people, or in some unfortunate cases create criminals as in cyber-stalking or worse. 

Those are the other things I can think of off the top of my head, for what it's worth.

Check for new replies or respond here...