inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cartoon Network has finally gone down the toilet

Written By: woops on 03/27/09 at 5:51 pm

Cartoon Network promises more Live Action

Haven't they learned from that live action/animated sitcom fiasco...  ::) :P

First the classics are removed (except "Tom & Jerry") several years ago then far less anime (not into anime, but it does has it share of fans)... now a bunch of live action shows...

"Adult Swim" also hasn't gotten better either and most of the newer shows are pretty much horrible

Subject: Re: Cartoon Network has finally gone down the toilet

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/27/09 at 6:02 pm

Live action shows?  WTF?

I dunno.  Everything seems to be deteriorating into the same lumpy oatmeal generic drivel.  I'd buy a premium cable package...but the drivel on the HBOs seems to outweigh the good stuff by the same proportion as standard cable...

::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/27/09 at 9:18 pm

That's why I love Teletoon, it's all animated.

Unfortuntly, it's only in Canada.

Written By: nally on 03/27/09 at 11:31 pm

Haven't they learned from that live action/animated sitcom fiasco...  ::) :P

First the classics are removed (except "Tom & Jerry") several years ago then far less anime (not into anime, but it does has it share of fans)... now a bunch of live action shows...

"Adult Swim" also hasn't gotten better either and most of the newer shows are pretty much horrible

Well in that case, then they really aren't a "cartoon network" anymore, are they? ::)

Written By: Step-chan on 03/27/09 at 11:36 pm

I'm glad I don't have cable.

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/28/09 at 6:24 am

Cartoon Network and Adult Swim have been spinning around the bowl for quite some time now.
Its the typical reaction once a "avant garde" entity gets more attention, the more exposure, the more money and people you have watching your every move. Too much $$$ involved to let it go the way of the wind and the viewers.

The channel burned Aaron McGruder and the Boondocks long ago, a sign that they weren't really going to go the distance on freedom of expression as they'd thought they'd be able to. The Family Guy connection was only to try to prop up their 'rep'.
The fact that Robot Chicken went as far as it did is a tribute to how well Seth Greens friendship with the channels henchmen (aka Turner Broadcasting) and producers went in greasing the palms of the advertisers of the station.

I'm not blaming them really, this is a natural progression of a once creative and non conformist entity when exposed to commercial TV.

I wouldn't really lament this too much, if anything it opens the door for something much more radical in the future, Adult Swim and the Cartoon Channel tried to do what it could considering the circumstances (and got away with a lot more than I think even they thought they would), but knew it could never win. At least they tried to keep the door open for those coming after them...

Written By: anabel on 03/28/09 at 5:12 pm

http://www.tv.com/story/13415.html

More proof that they are becoming less Cartoon and More Network. I was just reading about this earlier!  It sucks, but my son still watches a few shows on it.  He likes Ben 10 and The new Star Wars Clone Wars series.  I hated that Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends ended and that they replaced it with those two GARBAGE shows, Chowder and Flapjack. I hope they dump those shows soon!! 

Written By: woops on 03/28/09 at 6:46 pm

two GARBAGE shows, Chowder and Flapjack. I hope they dump those shows soon!! 

"Total Drama Island" is another show I don't understand

Even if I were in the age demographic, I wouldn't watch them. Though a few are OK like Nickelodeon's "Mighty B!", "Back In The Barnyard", and Disney XD's "Jimmy Two-Shoes".

Several of the shows on Adult Swim are no different except with swearing and unecessary gore added (ie "Super Jail", "Metalopycl...whatever it's spelled")

Written By: anabel on 03/28/09 at 6:53 pm

"Total Drama Island" is another show I don't understand

Matthew was interested in that one when it first came out, but I diverted him to something else, because it touches on a few subjects I haven't explained to him yet.... :o

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/09 at 7:47 pm

That's why I love Teletoon, it's all animated.

Unfortuntly, it's only in Canada.

Teletoon is awesome.  Teletoon Retro is also good, I just wish they wouldn't air so many Warner Bros. cartoons

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/28/09 at 7:51 pm

Teletoon is awesome.  Teletoon Retro is also good, I just wish they wouldn't air so many Warner Bros. cartoons

I wish we had those channels here.  :(

When was the last time I watched Cartoon Network on a regular basis? Its probably been nearly a decade for me. :(

Written By: woops on 03/28/09 at 9:16 pm

Looney Tunes are classic  8)

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/30/09 at 3:49 pm

They might as well call it The Childrens Network.

And as for Adult Swim...it should spin-off.

I'm also thinking of making a show for Adult Swim, think of it as their answer to "The Simpsons" with a Hanna-Barbera character that they never heard of...if I get the permission.

Written By: Bree on 03/30/09 at 10:38 pm

You might have seen the press releases of the new shows coming to Cartoon Network. There's a big shift in what this network will be next year, and we don't know if we'll still be a part of it. There will be new Chowders airing until the end of the year, but right now we're winding down production. People get laid off starting at the end of next week. We could still be picked up, but it would be hard to reassemble the crew in its current form. If this really is the end, then it's been a good run and we've had a lot of fun. I hope you all continue to enjoy the show.

Finally, something good came out of this  8) :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/07/09 at 1:33 am

"The Game Show network, now with more soap operas!"
"Today on Rush Limbaugh, why Michael Moore was right!"
"Next on Disco 97.3, it's the heavy metal hour!"

You know the world's toast when you can no longer tell the difference between reality, April Fool's, and Yakov Smirnov jokes...

Written By: Stompgal on 04/10/09 at 6:19 am

I also think that the UK version of Cartoon Network has gone downhill in the past 3 years. When I was a kid, my favourite shows on that channel were 'Dexter's Laboratory,' The Powerpuff Girls,' 'Johnny Bravo,' 'The Flintstones,' 'The Jetsons,' 'Tom and Jerry' and 'Looney Tunes.' I also liked 'Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi' when it was broadcast on Cartoon Network 4 years ago. Nowadays Cartoon Network UK is dominated by 'Ben 10,' 'The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy' and 'Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends,' which are not as good as the cartoons I enjoyed watching on that channel.

Written By: woops on 07/03/09 at 10:55 am

It's official: Cartoon Network has finally lost it's touch

Personally, it went downhill when it dumped majority of the classics off the schedule anout 8 years ago (exception of "Tom & Jerry" and "Scooby Doo"). They've been airing live action movies for a while and even tried a tween sitcom, which thankfully flopped.

Adult Swim was OK and had some good shows like "Harvey Birdman" and "Boondocks", but now is mostly unwatchable.

Written By: nally on 07/03/09 at 4:34 pm

^That really sucks. :P They shouldn't be airing live action any type of program, since that contradicts the name of the network...but MTV has gone that way already. Heck, I don't even watch Cartoon Network anymore since it dumped all the classics. 8-P

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/03/09 at 7:37 pm

Makes me wonder if anybody is watching Cartoon Network these days!  :-\\

Written By: woops on 07/04/09 at 11:37 am

There's comments from Toon Zone that stated that the reality shows aren't doing good in ratings.  :D

Not to mention that the network also have merged with the PGA... which I doubt most kids would be interested in golf.

Wonder if it's a ploy to get kids to play outside... if so, it's working.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/09 at 9:40 am

I'm still catching up on all those "King of the Hill" reruns. 

Adult Swim, new or reruns:

Robot Chicken
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Oblongs
Home Movies
Family Guy

Other than that, no reason to bother. 

"Mighty Boosh" has some good gags, but it doesn't really belong on the Cartoon Network. 

Stuff like "Boondocks" and "Squidbillies" I tried to get into, but it's all a hackneyed "Adult Swim" formula by now. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/18/09 at 5:53 pm

By the way this year's schedule on Teletoon Retro....... rocks!

New this fall....

The Yogi Bear Show, The Huckleberry Hound Show, The Quick Draw McGraw Show, Top Cat, Captin Caveman, Josie and the Pussycats, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Inspector Gadget and Beetlejuice.

Alas, Teletoon Retro is only avialble in Canada.

http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showthread.php?p=17581

Written By: woops on 08/18/09 at 9:35 pm

Much better than Boomerang in the US, which is mainly Hanna Barbera, early Cartoon Network orginals with only selected episodes showing of several shows (ie only the third season of "Duck Dosgers" aired for a while before getting yanked out of the schedule on August 10, 2009) and no Looney Tunes (there's some dumb  fued between WB and Turner networks  :P)

Boomerang schedule for September

Back on topic: there's several posts about the Cartoon Network downfall on Cartoon Brew

Written By: woops on 10/26/09 at 2:57 pm

They're currently airing the original Pink Panther cartoons, though probably for the upcoming "Pink Panther & Pals" show that features the characters as teenagers  :P Though good to see the classics back on the channel.

Also some Halloween Looney Tunes programming... though the badly edited "Bugs Bunny's Howl-O-Ween" special with horrible "new" animation (the worst I've seen so far) with mostly clips from various classic shorts.

"Quackbusters" or an hour with horror themes shorts would be better, IMHO

Written By: nally on 10/26/09 at 4:26 pm

They're currently airing the original Pink Panther cartoons, though probably for the upcoming "Pink Panther & Pals" show that features the characters as teenagers  :P Though good to see the classics back on the channel.

Yes, the classics need to live on. They just don't make animation like that anymore.

Also some Halloween Looney Tunes programming... though the badly edited "Bugs Bunny's Howl-O-Ween" special with horrible "new" animation (the worst I've seen so far) with mostly clips from various classic shorts.

When's that gonna be on? I'd sure love to check it out

Written By: joeman on 10/26/09 at 4:39 pm

I too am only following Adult Swim.  I love watching Venture Bros, Stroker and Hoop, Robot Chicken, AquaTeen Hunger Force, Harvey Birdman, Ooblongs, Metalocalypse, Home Movies, etc..

I think Cartoon Network has always catered to kids, that is why most shows now are not that interesting.  

Heck, watching shows from when you grow up isn't as exciting as it once was.  I bought the original TMNT cartoon, only to get surprised and mad at the crap they call a show.  A bunch of stock-footage, choppy animation, different voices for the same characters every week, the stupid jokes, the list goes on.  Word of an advice, what you grow up with isn't going to be great once you are an adult.

Written By: woops on 10/26/09 at 4:44 pm

The Bugs Bunny Halloween special aired a few times for a few days, though according to the listings on Zap2it.com it's nolonger airing.

Though on Cartoon Network's site it has "special" under several slots in the listings grid.

Written By: woops on 10/26/09 at 4:48 pm

Heck, watching shows from when you grow up isn't as exciting as it once was.  I bought the original TMNT cartoon, only to get surprised and mad at the crap they call a show.  A bunch of stock-footage, choppy animation, different voices for the same characters every week, the stupid jokes, the list goes on.  Word of an advice, what you grow up with isn't going to be great once you are an adult.

True since nostalgia tends to blind us

Though I discovered that Looney Tunes and other theatrical shorts were originally made for adults and have content that goes over many people heads from topical referances from WWII, pop culture (ie radio shows, celebrities, movies), and also that I now aprpeciate the cartoons more from watching various documentries and reading certain sites/boards like the Golden Age Cartoons forum.

I'm also into the camp value from early Hanna Barbera & Jay Ward cartoons from the voice-overs to sound effects.

Written By: joeman on 10/26/09 at 4:57 pm

True since nostalgia tends to blind us

Though I discovered that Looney Tunes and other theatrical shorts were originally made for adults and have content that goes over many people heads from topical referances from WWII, pop culture (ie radio shows, celebrities, movies), and also that I now aprpeciate the cartoons more from watching various documentries and reading certain sites/boards like the Golden Age Cartoons forum.

I'm also into the camp value from early Hanna Barbera & Jay Ward cartoons from the voice-overs to sound effects.

Looney Toons is great.  Most the material that they showcased would probably be frowned upon by the PTC.

There are some shows that AIM to capture the kid and adult audience through subtle writing and jokes.  Looney Toons was one of them.  Another was Rocko's Modern Life on Nick.  It was a cartoon with simple plots and morals, but there were tons of adult references and the characters were young adults.  One episode, Rocko's fat friend stayed up all night eating and then started eating in the morning screaming "Hair of the Dog", lol.

Written By: foghorn92 on 11/06/09 at 1:49 pm

Man, rember the days when we had:

Cow & Chicken
                                                            Ren & Stimpy
                                                            Johnny Bravo
                                                              Dexter's Laboratory
                                                              Doug
                                                                Catdog
                                                                Rocko's Modern Life
                                                                Rugrats

What the hell happened? Cartoons used to be the sheesh, now there are only a few animated shows and almost all of them suck, is this some half-baked response to all the the sheeshty live action Disney shows?

Check for new replies or respond here...