inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Madonna loses Malawi adoption bid

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/09 at 6:03 am

Report from BBC News Online

A Malawian court has ruled that US pop star Madonna has failed in her bid to adopt a second child from the country.

"I must have to decline to grant the application to Madonna," judge Esmie Chondo said in a ruling following a closed-door hearing on Friday.

According to reports, the application has been rejected over residency rules.

Madonna, who flew to Malawi on Sunday, was not in court to hear the ruling over Chifundo James, three. It is not clear if she will appeal against it.

The 50-year-old singer flew into the southern African state on Sunday and applied to adopt Chifundo James, whose name translates into English as Mercy, the following day.

The Associated Press news agency said Madonna's application had been rejected because of a requirement that prospective parents be resident in the southern African state for 18 to 24 months.

The rule was waived in 2006 when Madonna was allowed to take her adopted son, David Banda, to London before his adoption was finalised in 2008.

Criticism

Had Madonna's application been successful, Chifundo would have been a sister to David, the first child she adopted from the African country, and her biological children Lourdes and Rocco.

Chifundo is in the same orphanage that previously housed David, now three years old.

According to court papers just released, Madonna had said she was "able and willing to securely provide for Chifundo James and make her a permanent and established member of my family".

"To deny Chifundo James the opportunity to be adopted by me could expose her to hardship and emotional trauma which is otherwise avoidable," she continued.

However, Madonna's efforts to adopt the three-year-old attracted criticism from some parties who said the little girl would be best off with relatives.

The performer was also accused of using her fame and money to fast-track the adoption process, a charge refuted by her spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg.

Subject: Re: Madonna loses Malawi adoption bid

Written By: danootaandme on 04/03/09 at 6:07 am

That bitch can afford to adopt the whole village and enable the families to keep there children home safe cared for.  She isn't adopting, she is buying just for the publicity.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/03/09 at 8:02 am

Maybe Angelina's people put the kibosh on this.  Madonna was stealing her limelight.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/03/09 at 10:42 am

Anyone got any Madonna jokes now?  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/09 at 10:44 am

This Used To Be My Playground ?

Written By: Jessica on 04/03/09 at 11:09 am

That bitch can afford to adopt the whole village and enable the families to keep there children home safe cared for.  She isn't adopting, she is buying just for the publicity.

I concur.  However, if I were that Malawian judge, I'd hire a bodyguard or five to protect myself from Madonna.  That woman has the look of cuh-razy in her eyes.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/03/09 at 1:11 pm

This Used To Be My Playground ?

Ha ha ha!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/09 at 1:14 pm

One More Chance

Written By: Marian on 04/03/09 at 1:18 pm

Maybe Angelina's people put the kibosh on this.  Madonna was stealing her limelight.   ;D
LOL

Written By: 80sfan on 04/03/09 at 2:39 pm

One More Chance

Oh, stop, I can't breath! Lol.  :D ;D

When she makes through this, she'll Live to Tell it. She better count her Lucky Star.
Maybe she crossed the borderline!

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/03/09 at 2:51 pm

I heard that when the legal maneuvering in court got heated, Madonna resorted to her legendary "combat vogueing" to sway the judge.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/09 at 2:58 pm

Desperately Seeking Children?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/09 at 7:10 pm

I concur.  However, if I were that Malawian judge, I'd hire a bodyguard or five to protect myself from Madonna.  That woman has the look of cuh-razy in her eyes.

If I were her manager, I'd advise her to open a school/health center for children in Malawi, something along the lines of what Oprah did.  Then I'd have the accountants work out how to make the whole thing a tax shelter, and then...AND THEN...I'd write some crummy inspirational song like "We Are the World" for download with all proceeds going to the Madonna fund.  Of course, we'd use a chorus of Malawi children on the recording.  AND THEN, having generated all this good will and good feelings, we'd plan the FINAL Madonna album and world tour.  In the end, she'd make a f**king fortune!!!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/09 at 4:25 am

"Where do we go from here?
This isnt where we intended to be
We had it all, you believed in me
I believed in you

Certainties disappear
What do we do for our dream to survive?
How do we keep all our passions alive,
As we used to do? "

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/04/09 at 2:32 pm

I was watching one of the news channels last night and there was a debate about adopting children out of their country, when they indeed have relatives there.

One woman got indignant and basically said that Vadge Madge had earned the right to adopt this kid because of all the money she has given out.  And she (the TV person) flippantly stated "hey the child will get over being taken from her country and culture, why should we care about her leaving her country?"  (I do not think this woman was trying to play Devil's Advocate either).  You would think the kid was some sort of commodity, that Vadge Madge "deserves" to adopt because of all her good deeds.  ::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/04/09 at 3:49 pm

Why can't she adopt American child from a foster home?  I guess their not designer enough for her.  Kind of weird that celebrities choice to adopt from places where money talks louder than family or the law.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/09 at 7:12 pm

Desperately Seeking Children?

I miss that one!  You funny.  Me give you Karma!
;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/09 at 7:20 pm

Why can't she adopt American child from a foster home?  I guess their not designer enough for her.  Kind of weird that celebrities choice to adopt from places where money talks louder than family or the law.

You got it.  Africa is where the cute poor people live; you know, the E.T. poor people.  Who wants to think about all the poor foster children in America?  It's a bummer, man!
:(

Check for new replies or respond here...