inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What kind of music do you hear at various commercial places, past and present?

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/10/09 at 6:58 am

I'm surprised nobody has started a good topic on this anywhere online, but sometimes the music that's playing at a certain location often identifies the taste of the person. Today, it's mostly a simple mix of songs. For instance, at a Border's Bookstore, for around a 45-minutes span, I heard new hits such as I Kissed A Girl mixed with Motown classics such as Stop In The Name Of Love and I Want You Back. Many big box stores such as Target, Walmart, and Home Depot are simply silent (though many big box stores, especially in the '80s and '90s, would play an adult contemporary format). In grocery stores, smooth Jazz such as what you would hear on the Weather Channel along with various classical was common in the '80s and '90s. Unfortunately, the lack of good quality music in the last 12 years or so has led many places to either eliminate music or simply play a mix of oldies with a few modern hits.

Meanwhile, a store like Abrecombie and Fitch is notable for playing hot, current music best suitable for teenagers. In addition, music videos have become more common in some retail stores playing the song as well.

Subject: Re: What kind of music do you hear at various commercial places, past and present?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/09 at 5:52 pm

I'm surprised nobody has started a good topic on this anywhere online, but sometimes the music that's playing at a certain location often identifies the taste of the person. Today, it's mostly a simple mix of songs. For instance, at a Border's Bookstore, for around a 45-minutes span, I heard new hits such as I Kissed A Girl mixed with Motown classics such as Stop In The Name Of Love and I Want You Back. Many big box stores such as Target, Walmart, and Home Depot are simply silent (though many big box stores, especially in the '80s and '90s, would play an adult contemporary format). In grocery stores, smooth Jazz such as what you would hear on the Weather Channel along with various classical was common in the '80s and '90s. Unfortunately, the lack of good quality music in the last 12 years or so has led many places to either eliminate music or simply play a mix of oldies with a few modern hits.

Meanwhile, a store like Abrecombie and Fitch is notable for playing hot, current music best suitable for teenagers. In addition, music videos have become more common in some retail stores playing the song as well.

I agree with this, I've noticed all that too.

Drugstores like Walgreens and Rite Aid... along with some grocery stores like Safeway tend to play the best mix. Lots of poppy 80s and 90s, along with some oldies and lighter current hits (I always enjoy that, makes me feel like I'm listening to one of my own mixes! ;) ).

Did you notice too, that they play a wider range of songs than the average radio station does? Sometimes I'll even hear a song that I forgot about, and then it comes right back to me. Also, even though they tend to be focused on adult contemporary, they also play some more upbeat or heavier songs than you'd expect. I've heard some hair metal hits (i.e. "Here I Go Again") or new wave (i.e. "Take on Me").

What's also interesting to me is that when I was a kid back in the actual 80s, they usually didn't play ANY music besides classical in grocery stores! AC stations played really soft stuff like Kenny G. These days, AC is basically what a "hits" station was in the '80s and 90s (along with current songs).

Subject: Re: What kind of music do you hear at various commercial places, past and present?

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/16/09 at 5:22 pm

I worked at Discount Drug Mart and they played Soft Rock gems.

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/16/09 at 7:41 pm

Whether I'm at the grocery store, the mall, or even the doctor's office, I usually hear a mix of 70s through 00s music.

Check for new replies or respond here...