inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pirate Bay founders found guilty

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/09 at 5:01 am

From BBC News Online

A court in Sweden has jailed four men behind The Pirate Bay (TPB), the world's most high-profile file-sharing website.

Frederik Neij, Gottfrid Svartholm Warg, Carl Lundstrom and Peter Sunde were found guilty of breaking copyright law and were sentenced to a year in jail.

They were also ordered to pay 30m kronor (£2.4m) in damages.

In a Twitter posting, Mr Sunde said: "Nothing will happen to TPB, this is just theatre for the media."

Mr Sunde went on to say that he "got the news last night that we lost".

"It used to be only movies, now even verdicts are out before the official release."

The damages were awarded to a number of entertainment companies, including Warner Bros, Sony Music Entertainment, EMI, and Columbia Pictures.

The Pirate Bay is the world's most high profile file-sharing website and was set up in 2003 by anti-copyright organisation Piratbyran, but for the last five years it has been run by individuals.

Millions of files are exchanged using the service every day.

No copyright content is hosted on The Pirate Bay's web servers; instead the site hosts "torrent" links to TV, film and music files held on its users' computers.

The four indicated earlier this week that they would appeal if convicted.

Subject: Re: Pirate Bay founders found guilty

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/17/09 at 8:23 pm

Probably not the best time to have "Pirate" in your name!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/09 at 4:45 am

Probably not the best time to have "Pirate" in your name!

The word Pirate is a bit of a giveaway?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/18/09 at 7:27 am

The word Pirate is a bit of a giveaway?

I assumed the "Pirate" moniker signified their enthusiasm for my hometown Baseball Team, the Picksburgh Pirates.  ;)

Written By: anabel on 04/18/09 at 8:40 am

Those guys should also be charged with impersonating Pirates.  I don't think I ever saw any of them say ARRRRRRR! even once.  Do they even wear eye patches? What about Peg Legs?  I think those guys are just giving Pirates a bad name!  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/09 at 8:41 am

Is'nt Speak Like A Pirate Day usually in September?

Written By: anabel on 04/18/09 at 8:54 am

ARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

Sorry, I just can't hold it in that long!!!

Ok, back to the seriousness of the actual Piratey business at hand.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/18/09 at 1:17 pm

I assumed the "Pirate" moniker signified their enthusiasm for my hometown Baseball Team, the Picksburgh Pirates.   ;)

Why do you call it "Picksburgh"?
???

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/18/09 at 2:50 pm

Why do you call it "Picksburgh"?
???

That is how we pronounce things here in The Burgh.  Following is a sampling of the decoder ring:

"Beer Falls"  means Beaver Falls, home of Joe Willie Namath
"Stillers" is how we pronounce Steelers
"Picksburgh" is how we pronounce the name of our fine city
"Arn" is our pet name for the hometown brew, Iron City.
"Sammich" is a food item that consists of a piece of meat between two pieces or bread.  Sometimes you will find french fries within the sammich.

As an example, you might hear a couple of Burghers talk as follows:

LyricBoy: "Hey, yinz guys wanna go see the Stillers play this afternoon?"

BurghBuddy: "I don't know LyricBoy, the traffic from Beer Falls to dahntahn is pretty heavy.  Let's just stay here and drink some Arns n'at."

LyricBoy: "OK, I'll bring the chipped-chopped ham sammiches, but your living room is a mess.  Are you gonna red it up before I get there?"

BurghBuddy: "Quit jagging around, you jagoff or I won't let you have any churry pie."

LyricBoy: "I'll be over in about an are.  I have to pick up my Turrible Towel at the cleaners."

Note that we take the pronunciation of our city's name very seriously.  About a year ago, Britbitch British actress Sienna Miller was overheard pronouncing the town's name in a way very similarly to "Schlitzburgh"  :o  and the entire city was ready to have her drawn and quartered.  She was pressured into offering a hearty apology and an effusive description of how great our Burgh is.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/18/09 at 9:55 pm

That is how we pronounce things here in The Burgh.  Following is a sampling of the decoder ring:

"Beer Falls"  means Beaver Falls, home of Joe Willie Namath
"Stillers" is how we pronounce Steelers
"Picksburgh" is how we pronounce the name of our fine city
"Arn" is our pet name for the hometown brew, Iron City.
"Sammich" is a food item that consists of a piece of meat between two pieces or bread.  Sometimes you will find french fries within the sammich.

As an example, you might hear a couple of Burghers talk as follows:

LyricBoy: "Hey, yinz guys wanna go see the Stillers play this afternoon?"

BurghBuddy: "I don't know LyricBoy, the traffic from Beer Falls to dahntahn is pretty heavy.  Let's just stay here and drink some Arns n'at."

LyricBoy: "OK, I'll bring the chipped-chopped ham sammiches, but your living room is a mess.  Are you gonna red it up before I get there?"

BurghBuddy: "Quit jagging around, you jagoff or I won't let you have any churry pie."

LyricBoy: "I'll be over in about an are.  I have to pick up my Turrible Towel at the cleaners."

Note that we take the pronunciation of our city's name very seriously.  About a year ago, Britbitch British actress Sienna Miller was overheard pronouncing the town's name in a way very similarly to "Schlitzburgh"  :o  and the entire city was ready to have her drawn and quartered.  She was pressured into offering a hearty apology and an effusive description of how great our Burgh is.  ;D

Oh, I get it!  My friend Brian is from down that way, I'll ask him about Picksburgh. 

There are a whole bunch of accents in New England.  A lot of the subtleties don't lend themselves well to print.  People ask me what the local accent was where I grew up.  Now, you had the old-timey Yankee accent in parts of New Hampshah:
"You gotta puhhh-mit fah that fy-ahhh?"  (Do you have a permit for that fire?). 
"Ah-yuhhh, hoss gawn up the road a-piece." (Yes. The horse went up the road some distance).
"Maaax, how yah doin' theyah, bud?" (Max, how are you doing?)

Then there was Massatwosheeshs, up on the Nath Sho'wah (North Shore, north of Boston), just as nasal and even flatter.
When I worked at the North Andover Market Basket, we had a manager named Mr. Parker:
"Mistah Pah-kah to registah fo'wa, please, Mis-tah Pah-kah to registah fo'wah!" (Mr. Parker to register four, please.)
"Tank yuh fuh shoppin' atchah Nath Eeandovah Mah-ket Beeasket, where you get mo'wah fo'wah yah dollah!"
:-\\

There was a little town down the road called "Chelmsford," but if you're from there, you call it "Chemsfid."  If you're from Worcester, like Chucky, you call it "Wistah". 

I used to call the cinema recording and listen to all the movie titles that were "rated ahhh"!

Of course, there's a tendency in some Yankee accents to transpose the R.  Hence, what you do for work is your Korea, and the Asian country is career!

Mari-wanner is against the larr.

My grandmother grew up with a Massachusetts accent, but she trained herself out of it so she wouldn't sound like a fah-mah!  However, you could hear traces of it in the flat, nasal way she said "faaah-ther"  or "garaahge."  Never quite got rid of it. 
;D ;D
"

Check for new replies or respond here...