inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I can't get LimeWire to turn off.

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/20/09 at 2:19 pm

It seems that every time I turn-off Lime Wire, it turns back on again. I'm telling it to leave, but it's saying "I don't wanna leave".

What the fudge do I do?

Subject: Re: I can't get LimeWire to turn off.

Written By: gumbypiz on 04/20/09 at 2:32 pm

First are you sure the application thats restarting is really LimeWire?
Are there others uploading from you at the time you close the program? Check you setting for LimeWire and be sure it set to close completely regardless if others are downloading from you.

Use the task manager to identify what exactly is running. If you're using LimeWire (I strongly recommend you DON'T) you have a great possibility you've picked up a virus, worm or rootkit that might be masquerading as another app or causing some other funny business.
Find the Limewire exe, end that program from task manager, watch to see if it starts again and what other applications are starting or effected.

I recommend a restart, running your virus/spy/adware program to find out if you have some unwanted visitors.

If that doesn't help, or you don't find any viruses or ad/spyware, and you insist on using LimeWire, uninstall it and do a clean install to see if that helps.

BTW, seriously, LimeWire is like playing with fire, you're going to get burned using it. If you must download use a Bit Torrent program, there are plenty out there that are safer than LimeWire.

Written By: Tam on 04/20/09 at 2:48 pm

It seems that every time I turn-off Lime Wire, it turns back on again. I'm telling it to leave, but it's saying "I don't wanna leave".

What the fudge do I do?

The solution to this problem is fairly simple - although not necessarily easy.
Remove LimeWire and the 30+ spy/adware programs that came with it. And then remove all the keys in regards to these programs from your registry.

You can't just scan for spy/adware and remove them - LimeWire will not allow you to nor will LimeWire work if you manage to remove them. When you downloaded LimeWire, and it asked if you accepted the terms, and you said yes - you gave them permission to place all the programs on your computer. If you didn't read the Terms of Use, well, not much you can do about it now.

I wish you luck trying to figure out what other programs were installed, as most of them will not appear in your add/remove programs.

I hate to be a party pooper - but you probably have several trojans as well. They come in the form of what you think is a music file, and doesn't work. Unbeknownst to you, as soon as you click to play the song, the trojans launches. In the end, you may have to wipe the harddrive and do a clean install.

Sorry. :(

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/09 at 3:45 pm

I had this same problem last year.  Everytime I closed out of LimeWire, it would just re-open on it's own.  I removed LimeWire, ran a Spyware, adware and virus check, and everything was fine.  When I redownloaded LimeWire, it went back to doing the same thing, so I just gave up and lived with it

Eventually whatever was wrong, fixed itself because one day I closed it, it never opened up again until I opened it which was not for a long while.  I gave up on LimeWire and switched to FrostWire.  It's much better

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/20/09 at 6:22 pm

I had this same problem last year.  Everytime I closed out of LimeWire, it would just re-open on it's own.  I removed LimeWire, ran a Spyware, adware and virus check, and everything was fine.  When I redownloaded LimeWire, it went back to doing the same thing, so I just gave up and lived with it

Eventually whatever was wrong, fixed itself because one day I closed it, it never opened up again until I opened it which was not for a long while.  I gave up on LimeWire and switched to FrostWire.  It's much better

??? What is LimeWire ???

I guess I will have to install it, to see what all the hubbub is about...  :-[

Written By: Tam on 04/20/09 at 6:50 pm

??? What is LimeWire ???

I guess I will have to install it, to see what all the hubbub is about...   :-[

Peer-to-peer sharing program.
In other words, it is used to download music/programs illegally.

I wouldn't download it if I were you.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/20/09 at 6:59 pm

More like SlimeWire if you ask me! 

Installing LimeWire on your computer is like sharing needles with Courtney Love...
8-P

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/09 at 8:38 pm

There are other (safer) alternatives to downloading songs.  Alot of people swear by torrents. 

My favourite is rapidshare.  If you are looking for new albums, then google the album followed by the word "blog", and you can usually find someone's weblog with a link to a rapidshare file for a direct download of the album.  The last like 30 albums I've downloaded, I have found through rapidshare 8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/20/09 at 9:08 pm

My favourite is rapidshare.  If you are looking for new albums, then google the album followed by the word "blog", and you can usually find someone's weblog with a link to a rapidshare file for a direct download of the album.  The last like 30 albums I've downloaded, I have found through rapidshare 8)

There's also that NET that you USE, but that nobody talks about in polite company. 

But I've been very (pleasantly) surprised by the amount of rare vinyl I've been able to find by your technique.  Pretty amazing what you can dredge up when you throw a "blogspot" "rapidshare" or "megaupload" to a search query.

Written By: anabel on 04/20/09 at 10:12 pm

??? What is LimeWire ???

I guess I will have to install it, to see what all the hubbub is about...   :-[

I second Tam's "I wouldn't if I were you".  I had it and had to uninstall it a few times before it finally left forever, and it messed up all my other programs.  Everyone is right- it's so not worth the trouble!

Written By: Davester on 04/20/09 at 10:19 pm

Are you guys serious about Limewire?  It was perfectly fine when I had it, before they started charging $$$ for it.  If you have an anti-virus proggy, and keep it updated, I don't see where Limewire would be a problem...

I wouldn't say it was the best thing since Napster, but it was the best thing since WinMX...

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/20/09 at 11:09 pm

Geez I'm kinda worried now. I've been using Limewire for a year or so now, and other than being really slow and annoying to load (and shut down), I've never had a problem with it, thank gosh. Is it not a good idea to have it? I do have antivirus programs, and a firewall running all the time, and I regularly do cleanups.

It's PERFECT for (1) rare songs you probably wouldn't find too easily on cd, especially like '80s soundtrack songs or album tracks, (2) artists that I only like one song by and wouldn't wanna buy the whole album just to get, or (3) for experimenting with new music. I've cleared out alot of albums that way over the past year! ;)

Written By: gumbypiz on 04/20/09 at 11:19 pm

Are you guys serious about Limewire?  It was perfectly fine when I had it, before they started charging $$$ for it.  If you have an anti-virus proggy, and keep it updated, I don't see where Limewire would be a problem...

I wouldn't say it was the best thing since Napster, but it was the best thing since WinMX...

Extremely serious, LimeWire is like rolling naked on a public bathroom floor, you're going to catch something, and even if you don't, what you get is not anything you really want and its going to be stinky.

95% of the songs listed on LW are not tagged or labeled incorrectly or just plain fakes. The quality of the songs are pure crap.

Running your virus program is great, for shell extensions, but who knows what riding along that won't show up in that scan, but will have its way with your PC once you open and/or play it?

There is no virus protection update that could keep up with the proliferation of new stuff that shows up on LW, its TOO chancy to think that you're not going to pick up something that hasn't been recognized yet, or something they don't have any definition for, then you're really screwed.

I know, I used to use LW back 5 years ago and got wacked by a worm that wiped about half of my files, had to buy a new PC/drive after that. I swore never again.
Bit Torrent/Bit Lord along with ProTracker (verifies real torrents, and ferrets out the faked ones that are being tracked by RIAA/MPIA members  :-X) is what I use, (Arrr!) when I need it. The selection and quality of files are better on most torrents, it seems the community is a lot more diligent in making sure crap is not shared or allowed to be put up to begin with.
But, I'm not naive, I also have AVG, CCleaner, Advanced System Care, AdAware, SpyBot, CWShredder, KillBox, HiJack This, Process Explorer and Rootkit Killer installed too, if you're going to download, you'd better have something to mop up the mess when you have trouble.

But as long as your downloading, Torrent, P2P or otherwise, you're never really safe :-\\

Written By: Davester on 04/20/09 at 11:22 pm

Geez I'm kinda worried now. I've been using Limewire for a year or so now, and other than being really slow and annoying to load (and shut down), I've never had a problem with it, thank gosh. Is it not a good idea to have it? I do have antivirus programs, and a firewall running all the time, and I regularly do cleanups.

It's PERFECT for (1) rare songs you probably wouldn't find too easily on cd, especially like '80s soundtrack songs or album tracks, (2) artists that I only like one song by and wouldn't wanna buy the whole album just to get, or (3) for experimenting with new music. I've cleared out alot of albums that way over the past year! ;)

If it's a little slow shutting down/starting-up it's probably because it's resource heavy.  I believe it's powered by Java and it shares your internet connection and hogs-up memory.  Just keep your antivirus up-to-date...

You guys could probably check the settings/preferences and tweak it a little that way.  Also, limit the number of uploads you allow the jolly pirates - that will slow you down, as well..

Written By: Davester on 04/20/09 at 11:32 pm

Extremely serious, LimeWire is like rolling naked on a public bathroom floor, you're going to catch something, and even if you don't, what you get is not anything you really want and its going to be stinky.

95% of the songs listed on LW are not tagged or labeled incorrectly or just plain fakes. The quality of the songs are pure crap.

Running your virus program is great, for shell extensions, but who knows what riding along that won't show up in that scan, but will have its way with your PC once you open and/or play it?

There is no virus protection update that could keep up with the proliferation of new stuff that shows up on LW, its TOO chancy to think that you're not going to pick up something that hasn't been recognized yet, or something they don't have any definition for, then you're really screwed.

I know, I used to use LW back 5 years ago and got wacked by a worm that wiped about half of my files, had to buy a new PC/drive after that. I swore never again.
Bit Torrent/Bit Lord along with ProTracker (verifies real torrents, and ferrets out the faked ones that are being tracked by RIAA/MPIA members  :-X) is what I use, (Arrr!) when I need it. The selection and quality of files are better on most torrents, it seems the community is a lot more diligent in making sure crap is not shared or allowed to be put up to begin with.
But, I'm not naive, I also have AVG, CCleaner, Advanced System Care, AdAware, SpyBot, CWShredder, KillBox, HiJack This, Process Explorer and Rootkit Killer installed too, if you're going to download, you'd better have something to mop up the mess when you have trouble.

But as long as your downloading, Torrent, P2P or otherwise, you're never really safe :-\\

Dangit!  That sucks gumby.  Guess I was just lucky.  I used it for around four or five years, as well, but haven't had it for around a year.  I just thought "fuggit" I'll download files I know to be quality from amazon and other related sites.  I do remember the man flooding Limewire with files, perfect 320kbps files, that turned out to be bogus as a three dollar bill, but to my knowledge no viruses...

Good tip bro.  I was wrong...

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/21/09 at 12:24 am

Is the consencus basically that it's best to get rid of Limewire, just to not take any chances? I mean I have gotten around 600 songs lol, I guess I should just consider myself lucky. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/09 at 3:19 pm

The one thing about Limewire, and even Frostwire for that matter, is that often at times, you get alot of dummy results in your searches (aka not valid files that show up in your search.  You download them thinking you're getting a song, when you're probably getting a virus.  The trick is to look for the bit rate, and/or look at what album the song is on.  Generally files tagged with the actual album are the real deal.

Sometimes people even throw up fake files.  I used to get those alot, so just to exact revenge, I made one.  I disguised my voice and recorded roughly a 4 minute clip of myself saying all this bathroom talk about how much poop tastes good.  Then I saved it as Eminem - Lose Yourself (Unreleased Version), put it in my upload folder and watched tons of people download it from me ;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/09 at 3:21 pm

There's also that NET that you USE, but that nobody talks about in polite company. 

But I've been very (pleasantly) surprised by the amount of rare vinyl I've been able to find by your technique.  Pretty amazing what you can dredge up when you throw a "blogspot" "rapidshare" or "megaupload" to a search query.

The only thing is you will often find alot of dead links from rapidshare, megaupload and other places due to "the host has removed file for violating terms of service".  Sometimes you get better results with an image search because it will bring up the album cover that will take you to the blog site

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/09 at 6:31 pm

Using LimeWire is like sharing a razor blade with Ron Jeremy!
:-\\

Written By: Davester on 04/21/09 at 8:48 pm

???

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/21/09 at 8:56 pm

The one thing about Limewire, and even Frostwire for that matter, is that often at times, you get alot of dummy results in your searches (aka not valid files that show up in your search.  You download them thinking you're getting a song, when you're probably getting a virus.  The trick is to look for the bit rate, and/or look at what album the song is on.  Generally files tagged with the actual album are the real deal.

Sometimes people even throw up fake files.  I used to get those alot, so just to exact revenge, I made one.  I disguised my voice and recorded roughly a 4 minute clip of myself saying all this bathroom talk about how much poop tastes good.  Then I saved it as Eminem - Lose Yourself (Unreleased Version), put it in my upload folder and watched tons of people download it from me ;D

Yeah lol, I got thrown off by that at first too, I realized all you have to do is to click on the artist or album title (on the left side), that weeds out all the spam. For example, let's say I was trying to find "Out of Touch" by Hall and Oates. Usually the real file will look something like...

Out Of Touch - Hall & Oates or 1 - Out of Touch.

Whereas the spammy file will just run it all together, like out touch hall oates (it cuts out extraneous teeny words too).

There's also stuff that shows up in every search, simply tacked on to whatever you're looking for, crap like...

unreleased track
greatest hits
awesome 80s track

Basically all you have to do is run the mouse over the listing, and if it shows information (i.e. length, artist name, album it's coming from) then it's legitimate. I bet alot of people who caught viruses or spyware didn't realize that and just downloaded one of the spam ones.

Written By: anabel on 04/21/09 at 9:13 pm

Eeeeeeewwwwww!!!  8-P 8-P

Written By: Paul on 04/22/09 at 6:39 am

Not that I would condone file-sharing (yeah, right!), but Soulseek is a much better programme...rare stuff to be had, too!

Check for new replies or respond here...