inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Attempted Attack on Dutch Royals: 5 Dead, 13 Injured

Written By: Henk on 04/30/09 at 5:03 pm

Attempted attack on Dutch royals: 5 dead, 13 injured

In an attempt to attack the Dutch royal family earlier today, a 38-year old man drove his car through a crowd of spectators before crashing into a memorial in the town of Apeldoorn, just yards away from where the royals were passing in an open top coach.
The car hit 17 people, including young children, several of whom were flung through the air. In total, 5 people died (on the spot or in hospital); 12 more were (seriously) injured and rushed to hospitals. The driver of the car also suffered major trauma; he too was taken to hospital. Latest news is that he appears to be brain dead.
The crowd had gathered to catch a glimpse of queen Beatrix, her family and following, who were touring the town in an open top coach to Het Loo palace, following a visit (by foot) of local festivities. April 30 is a national holiday in the Netherlands, known as Koninginnedag (Queen's Day), marking the birthday of the late queen Juliana. Throughout the country all kinds of festivities are organized, such as open air concerts, picnics, street markets and games. Traditionally, queen Beatrix (and her family) visit one or two different cities/towns each year. This year they chose the town of Apeldoorn, specifically because of the historic bond the town has with the Dutch royal family. This year would have been queen Juliana's 100th birthday, so festivities were extra special.

All festivities in Apeldoorn were cancelled following the tragic events. Other towns followed the example set by Apeldoorn, or toned down on their festivities.

It is yet unclear what motive the driver had for his actions. He was not known to police or local government.

Watch the videos, if you got the stomach.

Or read the article for more detailed information.

Subject: Re: Attempted Attack on Dutch Royals: 5 Dead, 13 Injured

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/30/09 at 5:39 pm

Let's hope that the driver's "trauma" was caused by the crowd beating the cr@p outta him.  >:(

That's how they do things in Chicago.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/30/09 at 7:39 pm

What an idiot.  What was the point in taking lives on such a festive occasion?  My condolences to everyone affected by this asinine act.

Written By: robby76 on 04/30/09 at 9:20 pm

That was horrific. I just don't understand stuff like this when innocent people fall victim.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/30/09 at 9:40 pm

What an idiot.  What was the point in taking lives on such a festive occasion?   My condolences to everyone affected by this asinine act.

My sentiments exactly!  How utterly senseless and horrible.  :\'(

Written By: gibbo on 04/30/09 at 10:07 pm

Caught the end of this report on the news this morning ...but missed which country it happened in!  It's a shame to have happened on such a memorable day! Now remembered for all the wrong reasons...

Written By: Gis on 05/01/09 at 3:29 am

Dreadful.

Written By: karen on 05/01/09 at 8:43 am

What a tragic thing to happen on what should have been such a happy day

The driver of the car has died as a result of his injuries

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8028317.stm

Written By: philbo on 05/01/09 at 8:58 am

This is really weird in many ways..

I really don't buy this as an attempted attack on the Dutch royal family, though: the guy was driving a tiddly Suzuki Swift that would have had about as much impact on the royal bus as a cat running into an elephant - just think how much worse it would have been if he'd been driving a Land Cruiser or similar.

It's a shame he's died, because I for one would love to know what on earth he thought he was going to achieve.

Written By: Henk on 05/01/09 at 1:00 pm

Thanks everyone for your input and comments.

As Karen already mentioned, the driver of the car has died. Therefore we will never know what his reasoning was.
Police have searched the car and the residence(s) of the attacker, but have found nothing suspect.
The attacker, a single white 38-year old male security guard, had no social life worth mentioning. He didn't shop at any local stores, he never visited the pub right next door, and he was no member of any local society or club. He also appeared to have no friends.
Locals described him as friendly yet quiet.

This is really weird in many ways..

I really don't buy this as an attempted attack on the Dutch royal family, though: the guy was driving a tiddly Suzuki Swift that would have had about as much impact on the royal bus as a cat running into an elephant - just think how much worse it would have been if he'd been driving a Land Cruiser or similar.

It's a shame he's died, because I for one would love to know what on earth he thought he was going to achieve.

That's what's been puzzling me too. Why didn't he drive a bigger car, and why wasn't it stacked with explosives?
We'll never know...

Death toll has risen to seven today. :( This afternoon, a 55-year old military policeman died of his injuries.
Nine people are still in hospital. One of them is in critical condition, two others are seriously injured. The remaining six have suffered minor injuries.

Written By: Marian on 05/01/09 at 3:16 pm

Let's hope that the driver's "trauma" was caused by the crowd beating the cr@p outta him.  >:(

That's how they do things in Chicago.
I like how you think! :o

Written By: Red Ant on 05/01/09 at 3:53 pm

Is it possible that this man suffered from some form of medical emergency while driving?

Sad to hear the news. I didn't watch the video clip - I've seen enough car accidents to know that they are never pretty.

Ant

Written By: Henk on 05/01/09 at 4:14 pm

Is it possible that this man suffered from some form of medical emergency while driving?

Not very likely, although we will have to wait for the result of the autopsy to rule it out completely.

The first officer to arrive at the crash site was able to talk to the driver, who was still conscious at the time. According to his statement, the driver told him his attack was aimed at the royal family.

One of the biggest unanswered questions at this point (besides the "why") is how this could have happened. Did security measures fall short, or was this just something unpreventable? How will this affect future events, like Remembrance Day (May 4) and Liberation Day (May 5)? Queen Beatrix has already announced she will be present on both days, just like any other year. I fear security measures will be draconian.
And what about future Queen's Days? Can they be as informal as they used to be? I fear not.

Written By: robby76 on 05/01/09 at 6:53 pm

That's what's been puzzling me too. Why didn't he drive a bigger car, and why wasn't it stacked with explosives?

Financial capabilities probably.

Written By: statsqueen on 05/02/09 at 9:36 am

I heard about this and immediately thought of you, Henk.

My condolences to everyone this affected.

Written By: Henk on 05/09/09 at 4:27 pm

Yesterday (Friday 8th May) a 46-year old woman died from her injuries, bringing the total number of victims to 8.

Her 14-year old daughter, who was also injured, was released the same Friday. The two were in separate hospitals. Truly tragic.

Also on Friday a memorial service was held in Apeldoorn that was broadcasted live on television.

Check for new replies or respond here...