inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rihanna and Chris Brown - The Gloves are Off...

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/30/09 at 5:36 pm

Well apparently the powers that be (you know, The Man)  has authorized radio stations to resume playing the music of Rihanna Fenty and Chris Brown.

I just came back off a two-day road trip, and the stations were playing the cr@p out of Disturbia and No Ayre.

Subject: Re: Rihanna and Chris Brown - The Gloves are Off...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/01/09 at 4:12 pm

Well apparently the powers that be (you know, The Man)  has authorized radio stations to resume playing the music of Rihanna Fenty and Chris Brown.

I just came back off a two-day road trip, and the stations were playing the cr@p out of Disturbia and No Ayre.

I don't think they ever stopped playin Rihanna songs.  The stations here didn't anyway.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/01/09 at 5:22 pm

I'm okay with Rhiana.

I just can't stand Chris Brown. Never have. He's not attrractive, he's not talented, and' he's based a career off of ripping off Michael Jackson. He's a nose job away from being an MJ impersonator. Aside from hitting Rhi, he just needs to be put in jail for polluting the American and World music scene.

Am I bitter?
Yes.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/09 at 5:41 pm

I'm okay with Rhiana.

I just can't stand Chris Brown. Never have. He's not attrractive, he's not talented, and' he's based a career off of ripping off Michael Jackson. He's a nose job away from being an MJ impersonator. Aside from hitting Rhi, he just needs to be put in jail for polluting the American and World music scene.

Am I bitter?
Yes.

Karma for having the same viewpoint as me. I can't stand CB. He's a bore and a rip off of Michael Jackson. Although I'm not as big as a Prince or Michael fan as you!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/01/09 at 5:56 pm

Hey80s fan. Karma right back at you. I'm glad that you agree with my views.

Written By: Michael C. on 05/02/09 at 10:31 am

Count Me in.....
Never a Chris Brown fan...One of the great no-talents of Our time....

Hey80s fan. Karma right back at you. I'm glad that you agree with my views.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/03/09 at 3:49 am

Never liked Chris Brown much either and I'm a pretty big r&b/pop fan. I really can't stand him now.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/03/09 at 7:59 am

Never liked Chris Brown much either and I'm a pretty big r&b/pop fan. I really can't stand him now.  ::)

Well at least I do not think we will hear him rapping about "hitting it" any more...  8-P

Written By: anabel on 05/04/09 at 9:35 pm

My stations have never stopped playing Rhianna, and the only Chris Brown I ever hear anymore is "No Air" and that's almost never.  I don't like his music, what he did, I'm afraid he's going to get the case dismissed completely, and he should serve time.  If Joe Shmo down the street did what he did, they'd be sitting in jail for sure and for awhile.

Seems like everyone is giving Rhianna a lot of support.  I was really thinking Cover Girl would drop her because she was NOT behaving like a strong, empowered woman for awhile, but I see they're using her commercials again.  I don't think she handled this well-she's letting young girls think it's ok to get hit and just take it.  She needs to make a tougher stand against domestic violence if she really wants to be seen as a rolemodel for the girls out there.  I have no problem with her, I like some of her songs, but she needs to come to grips with reality and get away, and STAY away from that jerk.  Next time he really might kill her, like he promised.

Written By: statsqueen on 05/04/09 at 9:47 pm

My stations have never stopped playing Rhianna, and the only Chris Brown I ever hear anymore is "No Air" and that's almost never.  I don't like his music, what he did, I'm afraid he's going to get the case dismissed completely, and he should serve time.  If Joe Shmo down the street did what he did, they'd be sitting in jail for sure and for awhile.

Seems like everyone is giving Rhianna a lot of support.  I was really thinking Cover Girl would drop her because she was NOT behaving like a strong, empowered woman for awhile, but I see they're using her commercials again.  I don't think she handled this well-she's letting young girls think it's ok to get hit and just take it.  She needs to make a tougher stand against domestic violence if she really wants to be seen as a rolemodel for the girls out there.  I have no problem with her, I like some of her songs, but she needs to come to grips with reality and get away, and STAY away from that jerk.  Next time he really might kill her, like he promised.

Rumor...and I emphasize RUMOR....is that they're going to move in together, but right now he is just spending multiple nights at her place.  Stations around here stopped playing his stuff.  I don't condone what he did by any stretch of the imagination, but I miss hearing "Forever" (so easy to dance to).  I'd like to believe that the lack of airplay affected him, but only time will tell.

Written By: Midas on 05/05/09 at 4:25 pm

I used to like both artists' work but after hearing all the stories about the way they've handled the sitch I'd be happy to never hear either artist again.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/06/09 at 8:03 am

This could be a whole other thread, but let's face it, it isn't like this is a first an only.  If you are going to stop listening or buying records of stars who were abusive or took abuse, physical and mental, you wouldn't have much left.

Written By: Midas on 05/06/09 at 9:27 am

This could be a whole other thread, but let's face it, it isn't like this is a first an only.  If you are going to stop listening or buying records of stars who were abusive or took abuse, physical and mental, you wouldn't have much left.

I see and understand your point there.  The fact that these two pop stars likely served as role models or someone that younger people looked up to, and they both pretty much dismissed the issue making it seem that the behaviour is acceptable - that's what I have problems with.  I actually used to like them both.  Now I view them as kind of pathetic.  It's sad, really.

I just heard "No Air" on the radio on the drive home yesterday.  Haven't heard it in awhile.  Poor Jordin.  If I were her I'd re-record that track. :D

Check for new replies or respond here...