inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: $9500 Horse Takes All at Kentucky Derby

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/02/09 at 8:40 pm

Dark horse Mine That Bird, for whom the odds of winning the Derby were 50:1 against it, won the derby today by over six lengths in an end-of-race burst of speed.  :)

The horse was bought for the princely sum of $9500, but was being ridden by jockey Calvin Borel, who took the derby last year too.  His owner drove him to the race from New Mexico, towing the horse trailer behind his pickup truck.  8)

Additionally, finishing at mid-pack was General Quarters, owned by a retired school principal who bought him for $20,000.  :)

It's nice to see that "Joe Six Pack" can still dream of taking the stakes even when the Derby field was dominated by million-dollar horses funded by multimillionaires.  :o

Subject: Re: $9500 Horse Takes All at Kentucky Derby

Written By: danootaandme on 05/03/09 at 6:04 am

It is racing and nothing is a surprise.  It is great to see, but it is horse racing and I can't help figuring the fix was in.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/03/09 at 7:57 am

It is racing and nothing is a surprise.  It is great to see, but it is horse racing and I can't help figuring the fix was in.

My connections tell me this race was not fixed.  "Fixing" a race means that one (or two) of the leading contenders is held back.  You had to see the finish in this race to believe it.  The whole darned pack woulda had to have been in on the fix.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/03/09 at 4:56 pm

I saw the finish on the news and I gotta say it was spectacular!!!

Written By: Michael C. on 05/03/09 at 9:25 pm

A classic sports moment !!
A real "underdog" {or should We rename it...Underhorse  ;) } moment.

Dark horse Mine That Bird, for whom the odds of winning the Derby were 50:1 against it, won the derby today by over six lengths in an end-of-race burst of speed.   :)

The horse was bought for the princely sum of $9500, but was being ridden by jockey Calvin Borel, who took the derby last year too.  His owner drove him to the race from New Mexico, towing the horse trailer behind his pickup truck.   8)

Additionally, finishing at mid-pack was General Quarters, owned by a retired school principal who bought him for $20,000.   :)

It's nice to see that "Joe Six Pack" can still dream of taking the stakes even when the Derby field was dominated by million-dollar horses funded by multimillionaires.   :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/09 at 9:44 pm

Dollar Store horse, fifty-to-one, same jockey two years in a row...

My skinny Irish ass!
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/04/09 at 10:09 am

Yeah, just a couple of race track schmos 

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP)—The winner of the Kentucky Derby is owned by the son of a key figure in the corruption trial of former U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska.

The Anchorage Daily Newsreports that Mine That Bird was bought by Mark Allen and a partner for $400,000. The newspaper says the money came from the sale of the now-defunct oil field services business VECO Corp., founded by Allen’s father, Bill Allen.

Mark Allen’s Double Eagle Ranch of Roswell, N.M., also keeps So Long Birdie, a horse once partly owned by Stevens.

Bill Allen pleaded guilty in 2007 to bribing Alaska politicians, but in a plea deal, won immunity for Mark Allen and other family members. Bill Allen has not been sentenced

In the Stevens trial last year, the elder Allen testified Mark had paid off an unidentified legislator.

Check for new replies or respond here...