inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will the autotune gimmick ever go away?

Written By: Brian06 on 05/03/09 at 6:35 pm

If you ever turn on the radio or look at the charts today, you'll notice that a large amount of the artists are autotuned to sound like robots. Cher used this effect back in 1999 on "Believe", and it was used some before that as well. In 2005 T-Pain brought this effect back and over the next few years it became a fixture in popular music. These days it's presence is almost comical, and it's hard to find a current song that doesn't feature the robot sound.  :o Now I think that the effect works for certain songs, but it's just becoming a gimmick and a punch line lately. I'm thinking it's time to put away the autotune and bring some real innovation to the industry, but that's unlikely anytime soon.  :-\\  ::)

Subject: Re: Will the autotune gimmick ever go away?

Written By: Michael C. on 05/03/09 at 9:19 pm

That's funny......driving today, I heard Just Dance by Lady Gaga & thought how much the electronically enhanced voice made it sound like Cher's Believe....... :o  :)

If you ever turn on the radio or look at the charts today, you'll notice that a large amount of the artists are autotuned to sound like robots. Cher used this effect back in 1999 on "Believe", and it was used some before that as well. In 2005 T-Pain brought this effect back and over the next few years it became a fixture in popular music. These days it's presence is almost comical, and it's hard to find a current song that doesn't feature the robot sound.  :o Now I think that the effect works for certain songs, but it's just becoming a gimmick and a punch line lately. I'm thinking it's time to put away the autotune and bring some real innovation to the industry, but that's unlikely anytime soon.  :-\\  ::)

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/04/09 at 7:31 am

I think it all started with Zapp & Roger. Now they made some good music, like that song "Computer Love".

Written By: Midas on 05/04/09 at 9:35 am

I think the reason more artists use the vocoder EFX today is because they truly can't sing.  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/09 at 12:06 pm

Welcome to the new millenium. We are definately in the age of technology! Even music is affected.  :-\\

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/07/09 at 6:12 am

If any thing, I find it more annoying than a GOOD rap or even emo song. It really "covers" how good of a voice your singer has, and it really is an EMBARRESSMENT for talent. It is THE number one reason why I hate '00s music (gangsta rap really made me hate the '90s, though that decade had some good songs); it almost gives you this feeling that humans will turn into extra-terrestrial figures. But the question is, how long will this last before the executives see that this technique is really hurting the music industry; particularly on albums/singles that strongly feature this usage?

I think they do it so they FORCE you to see them live with the actual voice, only to often find the performer LIP-SYNCHING to the track and only making a nice stage presence. If it weren't for shows like Idol, we wouldn't make more people discover the still-relevant classics/oldies which continue to stand the test of time well.

Sythesizers today are MUCH more realistic sounding for actual instruments then they were back in the '80s. But what would REALLY help is for posters to give a nice list of songs that feature the autotune-vocoder feature.

Thanks alot, Antares for giving us a LOUSY musical decade! I'll NEVER buy any of your products!
AUTOTUNE AND GLAM RAP SUCKS! We need a promotion to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Disco Demolition Night, except this time we need all CDs with either autotune tracks or "Explicit Lyrics" to be burned!

I hope the '10s are better than the '00s, but all signs point to "more of the same", unfortunately. The mainstream teenage audience thinks any mere "hint" of jazz or classical in any song is TOO boring nowadays and is too square. 

Written By: tv on 05/07/09 at 11:47 am

The autotone thing will go away eventually like any other fad. People used to complain about "Grunge" back in the mid 90's because it was too dark sounding than we got the opposite after 2-3 years in happy music with Ricky Martin and Britney Spears.

Written By: Midas on 05/07/09 at 12:54 pm

They should make more songs with the "robotic" voice sound a la "Freak-A-Zoid" and Freestyle's "Don't Stop The Rock". :D

Written By: Kyle23 on 05/22/09 at 7:14 am

They should make more songs with the "robotic" voice sound a la "Freak-A-Zoid" and Freestyle's "Don't Stop The Rock". :D

Something like TuPac's California will be good.

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/09 at 1:49 pm

It's used alot in dance music.  Songs like 'One More Time' or 'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger' by Daft Punk

Written By: Midas on 06/10/09 at 9:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0OBo5y8BzA  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/10/09 at 12:21 pm

Auto The News!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bduQaCRkgg4&feature=PlayList&p=736C3116AD309B58&index=0

Written By: Midas on 06/10/09 at 12:32 pm

Auto The News!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bduQaCRkgg4&feature=PlayList&p=736C3116AD309B58&index=0

Heard that one this morning also ;D

Written By: joeman on 06/11/09 at 1:09 pm

I think autotune is fine but I agree they do overuse it in rap music.

Check for new replies or respond here...