inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Popularity of bands/singers from around the world ...

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/09 at 8:41 pm

Do you ever notice a wide variety of artists from other countries that you hear on the radio or that are in the charts of your respective country?  In the 60s, we had the "British Invasion", a wave of artists from the UK that dominated the Top 40 across North America.  Will we ever see another British Invasion? 
A few years ago, I actually thought there was going to be another one because at the time, International artists like James Blunt, Daniel Bedingfield, Natasha Bedingfield, Coldplay, Oasis, among a few others, all had several hits here in Canada.  There were more UK artists in the chart at once than I had seen since the 80s

Moreso, will there ever be a wave of Australian or Canadian artists in the world charts?  Maybe with the success of that Slumdog Millionaire song, there will be a big blast of Bollywood artists making waves around the world and on the radio. 

Canadians are doing respectively well in other markets, actually better than I've expected overseas: 
In the current UK Top 100 Chart, there are 4 Canadians (all in collaborations with other artists) ...

24 | Akon featuring Kardinal Offishall and Colby O'Donis - Beautiful
26 | Deadmau5 and Kaskade - I Remember
39 | James Morrison featuring Nelly Furtado - Broken Strings
94 | Ercola featuring Daniella - Every Word

In the current US Top 50 chart, there are only 2 Canadians ...

40 | Akon featuring Kardinal Offishall and Colby O'Donis - Beautiful
44 | Nickelback - If Today Was Your Last Day

Check for new replies or respond here...