inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What the hell, grrrr. . .

Written By: Below Average Dave on 05/22/09 at 3:49 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/ap_on_re_us/us_playground_body;_ylt=AkgfTwCgiNn1lB6JEpw6G20DW7oF

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/ap_on_re_us/us_parents_killed

The news stories of late have been so depressing. . .I know violent crime is actually down compared to ten years ago, but you wouldn't know that reading what sounds like horror flicks like these,  Hope the NM mom never gets to see the outside of a jail cell again--she tried to kill herself, and they prevented it. . .why it'd save us all a lot of money and I don't think anyone would be too sad to see her succeed. . .the other story is just as bad. . .Hope they find him fast before he repeats, That little boy and girl will be traumatized for life living through such a hellish experience. . .as Adam Lambert recently covered. . .it's a Mad World. . .  :-[

Subject: Re: What the hell, grrrr. . .

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/22/09 at 4:06 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/ap_on_re_us/us_playground_body;_ylt=AkgfTwCgiNn1lB6JEpw6G20DW7oF

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/ap_on_re_us/us_parents_killed

The news stories of late have been so depressing. . .I know violent crime is actually down compared to ten years ago, but you wouldn't know that reading what sounds like horror flicks like these,  Hope the NM mom never gets to see the outside of a jail cell again--she tried to kill herself, and they prevented it. . .why it'd save us all a lot of money and I don't think anyone would be too sad to see her succeed. . .the other story is just as bad. . .Hope they find him fast before he repeats, That little boy and girl will be traumatized for life living through such a hellish experience. . .as Adam Lambert recently covered. . .it's a Mad World. . .  :-[
that was a very sad and disheartening story. it's difficult to comprehend or even imagine the mind of someone that has done such an awful thing to their own child. poor lil guy  :\'(

Written By: Below Average Dave on 05/22/09 at 5:18 am

that was a very sad and disheartening story. it's difficult to comprehend or even imagine the mind of someone that has done such an awful thing to their own child. poor lil guy  :\'(

I know, I can't imagine what would drive anyone to do that to any person, let alone a child, and your own?  Her reasoning is just sickening, with all of the wonderful adoptive parents out there who could have given that child the love and stability he needed, she felt that no one would love him just like no one loved her??  What a selfish b**ch. . .

Written By: Jessica on 05/22/09 at 10:44 am

I know, I can't imagine what would drive anyone to do that to any person, let alone a child, and your own?  Her reasoning is just sickening, with all of the wonderful adoptive parents out there who could have given that child the love and stability he needed, she felt that no one would love him just like no one loved her??  What a selfish b**ch. . .

I don't know, I read this yesterday and I can sort of understand it.  Mental illnesses are horrible things, and what can sound totally unreasonable and unacceptable to someone who doesn't suffer from them, sounds perfectly logical and normal to a person who does.  If it is true that she was beaten down and unloved by her family, that could have been a triggering factor to lifelong suffering and unsound reasoning, leading to something even worse.  I know that they haven't said she IS mentally ill, but I think that point is driven home by the fact that she tried to suffocate him, changed her mind, resuscitated him, then changed her mind again.  Those aren't the actions of someone who thinks that mudering children is all jolly fun.

Normally I'm the first one to ready the hangman's noose in cases of child abuse/murder.  There is something so strange about this story though, that I am unsure.  If I'm wrong about it all, then I'll own up to it, but this....I don't know....just sounds so different. :-\\

Written By: Paul on 05/22/09 at 10:55 am

Sadly, it goes on all over the world...

This recent and tragic case had much of Britain in horror at what was done to this little boy...

Written By: anabel on 05/22/09 at 2:27 pm

This world has flown to Hell in a Handbasket.  I cannot believe the things that people do out of desperation these days.  I hate to do this, but I have another two to add.  These happened only about an hour away from me.  Imagine the nightmares this 13 year old will deal with for the rest of his life.........

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/may/05/na-why-well-always-ask-ourselves/

This is just unspeakable cruelty that MUST be punished by a Death Sentance, and if it doesn't qualify, I don't know what would.....

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/05/florida.child.thrown/index.html?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/22/09 at 3:05 pm

This world has flown to Hell in a Handbasket.  I cannot believe the things that people do out of desperation these days.  I hate to do this, but I have another two to add.  These happened only about an hour away from me.  Imagine the nightmares this 13 year old will deal with for the rest of his life.........

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/may/05/na-why-well-always-ask-ourselves/

While that is very tragic and one will never know what transpired to cause the crimes, I found it odd that the newspaper wrote a large portion of the article based on her Myspace page profile.  I mean, I guess that's a legitimate research tool, but it's very fluffy information at best and I wouldn't have said that it should be used for honest journalism. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/22/09 at 4:25 pm

There is (well, was) a guy here about a week ago who lay in wait in his front yard and blew his wife away with a shotgun blast to the head.  Made one heck of a mess.  Then he ate the gun too.

The children were all in the house and got to discover the aftermath.

Now we have people writing all sorts of flowery obituaries and saying "what a great guy" he was.  This was not a guy with history of any illness etc.  Just decided to snuff the wife when she said she wanted a divorce.

Guy should never have gotten a funeral.  Throw him in the trash, I say.

It just amazes me that no matter how horrible a crime somebody commits, apologists come out and regale with stories of what a great guy he/she was.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 05/22/09 at 4:40 pm

There is (well, was) a guy here about a week ago who lay in wait in his front yard and blew his wife away with a shotgun blast to the head.  Made one heck of a mess.  Then he ate the gun too.

The children were all in the house and got to discover the aftermath.

Now we have people writing all sorts of flowery obituaries and saying "what a great guy" he was.  This was not a guy with history of any illness etc.  Just decided to snuff the wife when she said she wanted a divorce.

Guy should never have gotten a funeral.  Throw him in the trash, I say.

It just amazes me that no matter how horrible a crime somebody commits, apologists come out and regale with stories of what a great guy he/she was.

No big reply here, I'll just show my opinion of your post with the +1 Karma I'm giving you. . .

Written By: anabel on 05/22/09 at 6:00 pm

While that is very tragic and one will never know what transpired to cause the crimes, I found it odd that the newspaper wrote a large portion of the article based on her Myspace page profile.  I mean, I guess that's a legitimate research tool, but it's very fluffy information at best and I wouldn't have said that it should be used for honest journalism. 

Sorry about that, I was going through the many articles online that described what happened, and some were better than others, but I picked that one. The beginning seemed more informative than the other articles, because I didn't really think anyone would read a whole article-I underestimated at least one of you.  ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/22/09 at 6:24 pm

The economy has a little to do with people killing their families.  There have been a few cases of someone losing their job and killing their family because they felt they couldn't provide for them.  I'm just pondering a persons mentality and what exactly would make them snap.  This kind of stuff wasn't happening at this magnitude 5 years ago.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/09 at 12:16 am

The economy has a little to do with people killing their families.  There have been a few cases of someone losing their job and killing their family because they felt they couldn't provide for them.  I'm just pondering a persons mentality and what exactly would make them snap.  This kind of stuff wasn't happening at this magnitude 5 years ago.

As Paul alluded to, it's statistically inevitable in numbers of 300 million that you'll have a few familicidal whackjobs; include the world population and the chances are that much greater.

This is not to diminish the horror of a given murder of the pain of the aggrieved, it just means if you look for such stories, you'll find them!

Now we have people writing all sorts of flowery obituaries and saying "what a great guy" he was.  This was not a guy with history of any illness

He sure has one now!  Remember a guy from New Jersey named John List?  He's on my mind because MSNBC just re-ran his story.  Back in 1971 he was prosperous accountant from Westfield, NJ, with a big house and a big family.  Business started to go bad and he started falling behind on the bills so rather than shop his resume around or cut the family budge...he decided to kill his wife, his mother, and his five kids, and leave their bodies piled in the ballroom of his mansion.  It's that old German-American work ethic...better  to have the fam cradled in the arms of the Lord than, you know, POOR or something!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/knob.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/23/09 at 4:55 pm

As Paul alluded to, it's statistically inevitable in numbers of 300 million that you'll have a few familicidal whackjobs; include the world population and the chances are that much greater.

This is not to diminish the horror of a given murder of the pain of the aggrieved, it just means if you look for such stories, you'll find them!

He sure has one now!  Remember a guy from New Jersey named John List?  He's on my mind because MSNBC just re-ran his story.  Back in 1971 he was prosperous accountant from Westfield, NJ, with a big house and a big family.  Business started to go bad and he started falling behind on the bills so rather than shop his resume around or cut the family budge...he decided to kill his wife, his mother, and his five kids, and leave their bodies piled in the ballroom of his mansion.  It's that old German-American work ethic...better  to have the fam cradled in the arms of the Lord than, you know, POOR or something!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/knob.gif

Perhaps it's because such news is more available.  Local papers hate covering stuff like that, even if it's in their own back yard.  Is it the old German-American work ethic or is it the basic shame of not being able to support your family.  Which goes beyond culture.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/24/09 at 12:53 am

Perhaps it's because such news is more available.  Local papers hate covering stuff like that, even if it's in their own back yard.  Is it the old German-American work ethic or is it the basic shame of not being able to support your family.  Which goes beyond culture.

I was being facetious about the "German-American work ethic."  The MSNBC documentary played that into the story, which is a bunch of hogwash.  John List was a run-of-the-mill suburban whacko with one major difference, List eluded capture for 18 years.  More to the point on history of mental illness, usually the first sign of mental illness is general despondency or hearing voices but occasionally things seem A-OK until the guy slaughters his whole family!
:o

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/24/09 at 10:56 am

I was being facetious about the "German-American work ethic."  The MSNBC documentary played that into the story, which is a bunch of hogwash.  John List was a run-of-the-mill suburban whacko with one major difference, List eluded capture for 18 years.  More to the point on history of mental illness, usually the first sign of mental illness is general despondency or hearing voices but occasionally things seem A-OK until the guy slaughters his whole family!
:o

18 years!!!  This has nothing to do with job loss.  Yep, he's a whacko.  I don't even think it was hearing voices.  With that after the act is done there is remorse and an attempt at reconciling on some level.  Neh, this guy just wanted to get rid of his family.

Check for new replies or respond here...