inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Censorship Run Amok?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/09 at 7:45 am

Here I am watching the weekly VH-1 Countdown.  At #13 is Lady GaGa with Poker Face.

I noticed that the line "Russian roulette is not the same without a gun" was bleeped out to "******* roulette is not the same without a ***".  And "Bluffin' with my muffin" is now "Bluffin' with my ******".  Oddly they still let her sneak in the subliminal f-bombs during the "Pa Pa Pa Poker face" chant.

What's with the inconsistent censorship?  I recall way back in the repressive 1976 time period, Steven Tyler regularly crooned that "You ain't seen nuthin' till you're down on the muffin".  At the time sales for Thomas' English Muffins skyrocketed.

Subject: Re: Censorship Run Amok?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/24/09 at 10:03 am

What's with the inconsistent censorship? 

I don't know, but I'm seeing it too. Yesterday, "American Idiot" came on the radio. Here's what was broadcast:

"... The subliminal mind America" - okay, no f-bombs, that's understandable

"... Well maybe I'm the America." - uh, that's new, but whatever.

"I'm not a part of a redneck agenda" - hold up here. Redneck is used in the perjorative just as "******" is (ha, even the board filters it like the radio did), and one gets censored?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perjorative

VH1 censoring like that doesn't surprise me. Viacommunism at its best....

Louis CK came on CC last night about 10pm. I was like "awesome", until I heard the first word censored. I changed channels.

Ant

Written By: Samwise on 05/24/09 at 10:15 am

Anyone remember that song "What It's Like" by Everlast? The radio edit of that song was ridiculous. Like every other word was bleeped out. Some of those words were legitimately bad, but others were bleeped out and I have no idea why - "green" (as slang for marijuana), ".45," even "drugs." "Drugs" is not a bad word. Anyone who's too young to be hearing about marijuana and guns is not going to know what the lead singer is talking about when he refers to "green" and ".45." And frankly, anyone that young probably shouldn't be listening to alternative rock radio in the first place.

Written By: woops on 05/24/09 at 10:44 am

On VH1 Classic, "Money For Nothing" is edited. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/09 at 10:46 am

Anyone remember that song "What It's Like" by Everlast? The radio edit of that song was ridiculous. Like every other word was bleeped out. Some of those words were legitimately bad, but others were bleeped out and I have no idea why - "green" (as slang for marijuana), ".45," even "drugs." "Drugs" is not a bad word. Anyone who's too young to be hearing about marijuana and guns is not going to know what the lead singer is talking about when he refers to "green" and ".45." And frankly, anyone that young probably shouldn't be listening to alternative rock radio in the first place.

A kid named Max
Used to make fat stacks
Out on the corner with drugs
Liked to hang out late
And keep the pace with thugs
Till late one night there was a big old fight
Max lost his head
Pulled out his chrome .45
Talked some sh*t and wound up dead

...became...

A kid named Max
Used to make ********
Out on the corner with ****
Liked to hang out late
Till late one night there was a big old *****
Max lost his head
Pulled out his *******  ****
Talked some **** and wound up dead

Other than the S-bombs I never understood why they had to bleep it out.   ::)

I remember the "bleeps" were kinda cool though, they did a scratch like a rapper's DJ would do.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/09 at 10:47 am

On VH1 Classic, "Money For Nothing" is edited. 

Back in Indiana, there was this one station that even censored "Play That Funky Music".

It went "Play that funky music, ***** boy".  ;D

Being a white guy myself, I kinda figure they went just a tad too far.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/09 at 10:52 am

Instead of just bleeping or silencing the lyrics, they should offer alternative lyrics so that people can still sing along.

I'm bluffin' for some stuffin'
Ain't singing about no gun
And now I have a hunger
For a hot dog and a bun

Written By: Samwise on 05/24/09 at 10:59 am

A kid named Max
Used to make fat stacks
Out on the corner with drugs
Liked to hang out late
Till late one night there was a big old fight
Max lost his head
Pulled out his chrome .45
Talked some sh*t and wound up dead

...became...

A kid named Max
Used to make ********
Out on the corner with ****
Liked to hang out late
Till late one night there was a big old *****
Max lost his head
Pulled out his *******  ****
Talked some **** and wound up dead

Other than the S-bombs I never understood why they had to bleep it out.   ::)

I remember the "bleeps" were kinda cool though, they did a scratch like a rapper's DJ would do.

Yeah, the scratches definitely sounded cool. But you still had no idea what was going on. :P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/24/09 at 11:09 am

They censor anyword that any group might find offensive.  Black Eyed Peas used the word Retarded a few times in a song.  Has anyone censored Princes Let's Go Crazy?  Normally I'm for being sensitive toward other people but when the song is not aimed at that group . . . let it alone!!!!  BTW, I don't know of one crazy person who doesn't like Prince's song because it say crazy.  However I'm sure that NAMI would see it differently. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/09 at 12:53 pm

They censor anyword that any group might find offensive.  Black Eyed Peas used the word Retarded a few times in a song.  Has anyone censored Princes Let's Go Crazy?  Normally I'm for being sensitive toward other people but when the song is not aimed at that group . . . let it alone!!!!  BTW, I don't know of one crazy person who doesn't like Prince's song because it say crazy.  However I'm sure that NAMI would see it differently. ::)

In the words of Cramer...  "Am I crazy?  Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?" 

;D

Written By: Michael C. on 05/24/09 at 1:57 pm

:D  ;D 
Instead of just bleeping or silencing the lyrics, they should offer alternative lyrics so that people can still sing along.

I'm bluffin' for some stuffin'
Ain't singing about no gun
And now I have a hunger
For a hot dog and a bun

Written By: Michael C. on 05/24/09 at 2:06 pm

I guess no more
Patsy Cline {Crazy}
Poco {Crazy Love}
Fine Young Cannibals {She Drives Me Crazy}
Madonna {Crazy For You}
Aerosmith {Crazy}
Gnarls Barkley {Crazy}
Seal {Crazy}
Heart {Crazy On You}
Queen {Crazy Little Thing Called Love}
Ozzy Osbourne- {Crazy Train}
Ricky Martin {Livin' La vida Loca}

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/09 at 12:33 am

Back in Indiana, there was this one station that even censored "Play That Funky Music".

It went "Play that funky music, ***** boy".   ;D

Being a white guy myself, I kinda figure they went just a tad too far.   ;D

Don't give me no good-goody-good bull--bleeeep!

Written By: Satish on 05/25/09 at 2:49 am

Drug references in songs often have to be removed. Tom Petty's song "You Don't Know How it Feels" from 1994 had the word "joint" edited out. And Weezer's song "Hash Pipe" from 2001 was edited for radio to say "half pipe."

Also, Moby's song "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" from 1997 was edited for radio to say "That's when I realize it's over." I guess the original version was censored cause it alluded too strongly to gun violence.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/09 at 6:59 am

Now oddly enough, nobody (as far as I recall) bleeped out Meredith Brooks' hit about 10 years ago, entitled "Bitch".  Similarly Elton John's "Bitch is Back" was not bleeped into "***** is back" or reworded to "Fish is Back".

Yet in Katy Perry's "Hot and Cold" they indeed bleep out the word which is mentioned only once.  Ditto for Slutina Haguilera's "Keeps Getting Better" although in that song it is used multiple times.

Written By: Michael C. on 05/25/09 at 10:01 am

Buckcherry"s Crazy Bitch .......Got lots of airplay...."Bitch" made it...."F@#k" ...didn't......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USYya4gaNyA

Now oddly enough, nobody (as far as I recall) bleeped out Meredith Brooks' hit about 10 years ago, entitled "Bitch".  Similarly Elton John's "Bitch is Back" was not bleeped into "***** is back" or reworded to "Fish is Back".

Yet in Katy Perry's "Hot and Cold" they indeed bleep out the word which is mentioned only once.  Ditto for Slutina Haguilera's "Keeps Getting Better" although in that song it is used multiple times.

Written By: Satish on 05/25/09 at 8:53 pm

Now oddly enough, nobody (as far as I recall) bleeped out Meredith Brooks' hit about 10 years ago, entitled "Bitch".

Actually, one or two radio stations in the area where I lived played a version of the Meredith Brooks song with the b- word edited out. And the DJ said the title of the song was "Nothing in Between."

Written By: Brian06 on 05/25/09 at 9:38 pm

Some censorship I've heard in recent years is the gunshot sounds were altered in MIA's "Paper Planes" so it doesn't sound like gunshots. In Rihanna's "Unfaithful" the "gun" was blanked out in the "take a gun and put it to his head" line. Also the hot ac here blanks out the "konvict" introduction thing at the beginning of "Just Dance" (they must be really conservative...).

Written By: whistledog on 05/25/09 at 9:48 pm

Around the time of the Columbine School shootings, the group Wheatus had a hit song called 'Teenage Dirtbag' that had a lyric that went:  "Her boyfriend's a dick, and he brings a gun to school.  And he'd simply kick my ass if he knew the truth"

The radio version of this song included DJ scratching noises so to edit out the word "gun" while still keeping the beat of the song continuous (some versions also have scratched out the words "dick" and "ass" as well.  I know the version that appears on the UK CD 'Now That's What I Call Music 49' did)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jJWQkVgDs4

Written By: Davester on 05/25/09 at 10:23 pm

Dire Straits' Money for Nothing is censored on the airwaves.  I can't remember if it was always that way...

The "little ******" parts...

Check for new replies or respond here...