inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: LyricBoy is now a Free Agent

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/09 at 6:51 pm

Well, I pulled the plug on my employer last week, my last day will be either later this week or sometime next week (I gave them the requisite 14 days notice).

I saw too many ethical lapses with regard to how customers were treated, in addition to some especially mean-spirited things being done to employees.  I'm a very visible person in my industry and if I were to be associated with that kind of stuff it would kill my reputation, which I have spent 30 years building and protecting (rampant partying notwithstanding... :P )

I did this about 2 months ago and the owner flew in from New York, and his executives begged me to give them another chance.  Skeptical, I said "OK" just to see what they would do.  They did jack.

Already got a call from an exec from another company... Will keep you guys appraised of my status.

Bottom line kids... There comes a time when you have to stand up, do the right thing, and "lead with your feet".  I chose that path last week and I do not regret it.  :)

Subject: Re: LyricBoy is now a Free Agent

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/08/09 at 6:54 pm

Go into business for yourself!  :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/09 at 6:59 pm

Go into business for yourself!  :D

I may just do that.  Now Rice... you will know where I am coming from with this comment...

I'm the University of Chicago grad at the company.  If ANYBODY was going to be a greedy, ruthless, sleazy businessman it should have been me.  Damn, it's pretty bad when the only guy with any sort of ethics or empathy is a U of C economist.  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/08/09 at 7:11 pm

I know next to nothing about UChicago economics other than the fact that some dude won the Nobel Prize in Economics recently :D 

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/09 at 7:29 pm

I know next to nothing about UChicago economics other than the fact that some dude won the Nobel Prize in Economics recently :D 

Well, beside every good South American dictator is a U of C economist.  Well, until Chavez and his gang came along.

Twenty-five of the sixty-two Nobel economics Laureates since the inception of the Economics Nobel have either been students at or faculty of the U of C at one time or another.  ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/08/09 at 7:31 pm

Well, beside every good South American dictator is a U of C economist.  Well, until Chavez and his gang came along.

Twenty-five of the sixty-two Nobel economics Laureates since the inception of the Economics Nobel have either been students at or faculty of the U of C at one time or another.  ;)

Amazing, yet the economy still sucks.  I blame UChicago :P

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/09 at 7:32 pm

You could apply to be a reporter on Access Hollywood.  Work side by side with Lara Spencer

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/09 at 7:40 pm

You could apply to be a reporter on Access Hollywood.  Work side by side with Lara Spencer

That would be The Insider.

And yeah, I'd work alongside the lovely Lara.  :-*  She is a Penn State graduate as am I.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/09 at 11:41 am

Good for you for standing up for your beliefs. As far as what to do now-as Joseph Campbell always said, "Follow your bliss."

And do please keep us informed.

Cat

Written By: Satish on 06/09/09 at 4:42 pm

Congratulations on standing up for your principles. It's a big sacrifice on your part to leave your job to defend your beliefs and ethics, especially with current economic conditions. That showed a lot of courage and integrity. Good for you.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/09 at 6:46 pm

Congratulations on standing up for your principles. It's a big sacrifice on your part to leave your job to defend your beliefs and ethics, especially with current economic conditions. That showed a lot of courage and integrity. Good for you.

Good for you for standing up for your beliefs. As far as what to do now-as Joseph Campbell always said, "Follow your bliss."

And do please keep us informed.

Cat

The next couple of weeks will be interesting.  I got this job on the recommendation of the president of our largest customer and he's gonna be pizzzzzzzed when he finds out.

Not to worry though.  I half expect him to offer me a job coming out of all of this (but am not counting on that).

And yes I will follow my bliss.  Especially if I do what whistledog has suggested and become Lara Spencer's on-screen partner.  Hey, I could be the next Pat O'Brien!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/09 at 11:31 pm

I couldn't afford you, but I need a top mechanical engineer to rebuild all the bridges I've burned in the past coupla decades....
???

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/09 at 6:56 pm

I couldn't afford you, but I need a top mechanical engineer to rebuild all the bridges I've burned in the past coupla decades....
???

Not a problem.  I am sure that my soon-to-be-former employer would be happy to sell you any bridge you want, for a reasonable price.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/19/09 at 11:39 am

Well yesterday was my last day.  The people who worked with me, and my proteges, all took turns taking me out to lunch this week and got me a very nice card.  Not one person asked "are you sure you did the right thing?", they all know I did.  :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/19/09 at 11:44 am

Good to know that your minions approve 8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/10/09 at 6:33 pm

Well today I got a call out of the blue from the owner of a very large company in my area of expertise.  Guy wants to do breakfast in a couple of days.

About a year ago I was told by one of his folks that "If I could hire just one person from XYZ Company, it would be Lyric Boy".

Keeping fingers crossed...  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...