inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Diva battle coming! Madonna, Mariah, Whitney all plan to release new material!

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/12/09 at 11:20 am

Three of the greatest women (and arguably all acts) in music history are set to go one-on-one-on-one this summer and fall with new singles/albums! (41 #1 hits combined, more than 600 million units sold worldwide!)

The probable first singles:

Madonna: Revolver
Mariah Carey: Obsessed
Whitney Houston: I Didn't Know My Own Strength, all may be out in the next several weeks!

Then their albums are coming in September:

Madonna: Greatest Hits Vol. 3
Mariah Carey: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel
Whitney Houston: Either "The Wait Is Over" or "Undefeated", though not yet official

This will likely be the closest that all three heavyweights have released the lead single/lead album. The only other occassion in which the releases were close apart was 1990, with Madonna's Immaculate Collection (similar concept), Mariah Carey's debut, and Whitney Houston's I'm Your Baby Tonight. But the music industry is MUCH DIFFERENT today with non-digital singles nearly extinct, and physical albums on the wane, and most people in their generation aren't listening to Top 40 anymore, preferring Adult contemporary or even classic hits.

As far as what to expect:

Madonna's album is expected to do the best in Europe with likely high sales, with North American and Asian sales in the medium range.
Mariah's album looks like it has the least potential since her last album was a step downward. I felt like she has shifted from being a "Whitney-type" to more of a "Madonna-type" with bad films and more controversial music in recent years, and that has alienated some of her fans. Expect low-medium sales, depending on the quality of music.
Whitney's is the wild card, as she has not released a hit album in 11 years. What matters most is her VOICE, and to a lesser degree the quality of music. Unfortunately, she's going to need a lot of good promotion and help in order to win her fans back. Her fanbase today is small compared to Mariah's and Madonna's fanbase.

By today's standards these women are practically considered "dinosaur divas" compared with the newer waves of singers that have come since, and this may very well be the last time (except for Mariah and possibly Whitney) they can make an impact on pop music.

Subject: Re: Diva battle coming! Madonna, Mariah, Whitney all plan to release new material!

Written By: 80sfan on 06/12/09 at 11:59 am

In all honesty, Madonna isn't popular in the US like she was before 2001. I know this is homophobic sounding, but her music tours have gotten too gay (I'm not homophobic or hate gay people) for the US audiences.

Whitney hasn't released a hit or album in years, but I love her!

So I think Mariah will win this IMO.

This is just my opinion. Don't agree with it?... Gee, relax, it's only 'MY' opinion!

Subject: Re: Diva battle coming! Madonna, Mariah, Whitney all plan to release new material!

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/12/09 at 8:04 pm

I'm interested to see how Whitney will fare with her comeback album.  I don't think she'll reach the dizzying heights of the early-mid 90s, but anything can happen.

Looking forward to the new Madonna and Mariah releases as well.

Written By: Lindee on 06/13/09 at 11:38 am

IMO they are all has beens.  Madonna was only good in the 80s to early 90s. Everything else after that sucked. 8-P
Never been a Mariah or Whitney fan.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/13/09 at 11:48 am

I'm afraid ALL of their albums won't have good music.

For instance, Madonna's Revolver involves Lil Wayne as a guest rapper (you're not Britney!)
                  Mariah's Obsessed is about Eminem bashing! (Looks very heavily hip-hoppy here.)
                  Whitney will have Akon, Swizz Beatz, and maybe even Ne-Yo with bland R&B production.
                  ALL THREE WILL LIKELY USE AUTOTUNE!

It's a shame, these artists very well could have been the new legends of the day, but following current trends doesn't do must justice and alienates fans looking for other things. Pop music is all but dead.

Subject: Re: Diva battle coming! Madonna, Mariah, Whitney all plan to release new materia

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/13/09 at 1:16 pm

Yawn.....

Written By: whistledog on 06/13/09 at 9:04 pm

The old hags are coming back?

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/16/09 at 11:42 am

Three of the greatest women (and arguably all acts) in music history are set to go one-on-one-on-one this summer and fall with new singles/albums! (41 #1 hits combined, more than 600 million units sold worldwide!)

The probable first singles:

Madonna: Revolver
Mariah Carey: Obsessed
Whitney Houston: I Didn't Know My Own Strength, all may be out in the next several weeks!

Then their albums are coming in September:

Madonna: Greatest Hits Vol. 3
Mariah Carey: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel
Whitney Houston: Either "The Wait Is Over" or "Undefeated", though not yet official

This will likely be the closest that all three heavyweights have released the lead single/lead album. The only other occassion in which the releases were close apart was 1990, with Madonna's Immaculate Collection (similar concept), Mariah Carey's debut, and Whitney Houston's I'm Your Baby Tonight. But the music industry is MUCH DIFFERENT today with non-digital singles nearly extinct, and physical albums on the wane, and most people in their generation aren't listening to Top 40 anymore, preferring Adult contemporary or even classic hits.

As far as what to expect:

Madonna's album is expected to do the best in Europe with likely high sales, with North American and Asian sales in the medium range.
Mariah's album looks like it has the least potential since her last album was a step downward. I felt like she has shifted from being a "Whitney-type" to more of a "Madonna-type" with bad films and more controversial music in recent years, and that has alienated some of her fans. Expect low-medium sales, depending on the quality of music.
Whitney's is the wild card, as she has not released a hit album in 11 years. What matters most is her VOICE, and to a lesser degree the quality of music. Unfortunately, she's going to need a lot of good promotion and help in order to win her fans back. Her fanbase today is small compared to Mariah's and Madonna's fanbase.

By today's standards these women are practically considered "dinosaur divas" compared with the newer waves of singers that have come since, and this may very well be the last time (except for Mariah and possibly Whitney) they can make an impact on pop music.

Celine Dion is going to release another album in September too.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/16/09 at 9:50 pm

I love Madonna only between 1984-1990, I am not a hardcore fan, just a fan of her 'golden era' or heyday.

I love Mariah's Daydream and Butterfly era 1995-1998!

And Whitney 1985-1993.

Other than that, I've moved on to other artists.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/09 at 10:18 pm

The old hags are coming back?

Mariah Carey is 39 years old.  That's not old, at least not from where I'm sitting, mon frere!

:-\\

Subject: Re: Diva battle coming! Madonna, Mariah, Whitney all plan to release new materia

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/16/09 at 10:18 pm

Yawn.....

Ditto that.

This is a long way away from their glory days.

They'd better actually provide, or show some genuine creativity and some growth in music and style or this is going to be such a non-event.
The same old diva crap isn't going to cut it, with crap like American Idol and shows of their ilk, everybody's a diva now, I certainly believe the public has had their fill of divas.  :P

Thinking about it, if any of them never made another recording, would we really be missing anything? ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/17/09 at 5:55 am

Ditto that.

This is a long way away from their glory days.

They'd better actually provide, or show some genuine creativity and some growth in music and style or this is going to be such a non-event.
The same old diva crap isn't going to cut it, with crap like American Idol and shows of their ilk, everybody's a diva now, I certainly believe the public has had their fill of divas.  :P

Thinking about it, if any of them never made another recording, would we really be missing anything? ::)

Well I would not mind if any of these ladies did a recording that was well done and up to their former standards.

But I cannot stand the self-importance each one of them feels obligated to project.  No, Mariah, you are NOT "all that".  Madonna, you ARE 50 years old, that little red string and Dr 90210 will not change a thing.  And yes Whitney, you're a drug addict, we already know.  So forget all that and just come out and sing well, which is why y'all got those fans to start with.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/25/09 at 12:24 pm

The album titles and dates have all been confirmed.

Madonna: Iconography (September 22)- 3 new songs with multi-decade compilation
Mariah Carey: Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (August 25)- Obsessed currently released as lead single, all-new studio album
Whitney Houston: I Look To You (September 1)- All-new studio album; I Look To You demo available on Youtube

But really, if done properly, this has potential to end the decade-long downturn in overall music sales. They maybe '80s/early '90s artists, but have potential to end the '00s (and begin the '10s) with some new songs. For Whitney fans, this is like the beginning of the 2010s for them because the last several months of this year will have NOTHING in common with the tabloid fodder of the 2000-2008 era. Madonna fans have nothing to lose as she is playing it safe with a compilation of hits along with still being the #1 female musician in the world. Mariah fans look to suffer the most out of this unless if the rest of the album is NOTHING like Obsessed.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/17/09 at 11:03 am

Here is Whitney Houston's new album tracks (a 30-second preview here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI9nn1Em8eU&feature=related

Many of you have heard Mariah's obsessed by now (although her new video is CRAP!) Plus, her album has been pushed back to Sept. 29 (same day as Madonna)

I personally like Madonna's new Celebration single the best. It feels more like an early '90s song which is when dance music was fun to enjoy. I feel she'll sell the best in the long run.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/17/09 at 2:57 pm

Wow, all they need to do is to get Jamie Lee Curtis as their official tour spokesman and they can all get a lifetime supply of Dannon Yogurt with the hokey "bifidus regularus".  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/19/09 at 9:45 pm

Wow, all they need to do is to get Jamie Lee Curtis as their official tour spokesman and they can all get a lifetime supply of Dannon Yogurt with the hokey "bifidus regularus".  ;D

Four divas, one cup?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/20/09 at 5:11 pm

Four divas, one cup?

Hmm... this has some potential...

Check for new replies or respond here...