inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sonny & Chers daughter Chastity to become Chaz Bono

Written By: ninny on 06/13/09 at 1:21 pm

Transgender men fighting for legal protections say Thursday's announcement by Chastity Bono, child of Cher and the late Sonny Bono, that she will be transitioning from female to a male as Chaz Bono is a welcome break from an all too common "invisible" paradox.

For reasons that are part biology and part society, transgender men say in some ways they have an easier time being accepted and recognized as masculine than transgender women have being perceived as feminine.

Yet at the same time, there has been a virtual black hole in public awareness of female-to-male transgender people.

"Testosterone is a powerful chemical," said Justin Tanis, a female-to-male transgender man and the community education and outreach manager for National Center for Transgender Equality in Washington, D.C. "For people who are female-to-male, it really changes your body and it makes it easier for people to perceive you as male."

The process began shortly after Bono's 40th birthday.

"Chaz, after many years of consideration, has made the courageous decision to honor his true identity,"
He is proud of his decision and grateful for the support and respect that has already been shown by his loved ones,"

Subject: Re: Sonny & Chers daughter Chastity to become Chaz Bono

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/13/09 at 2:16 pm

It would seem to me that it would be easier to convert a man into a woman.  A little surgery and a couple a bags of silicone and it's a done deal.  Then throw in a little estrogen and you're good to go.

Converting a women into a full-featured man would seem to be a bit more of a challenge surgically...

Written By: ninny on 06/13/09 at 7:32 pm

It would seem to me that it would be easier to convert a man into a woman.  A little surgery and a couple a bags of silicone and it's a done deal.  Then throw in a little estrogen and you're good to go.

Converting a women into a full-featured man would seem to be a bit more of a challenge surgically...

I'm sure that several operations will be required.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/13/09 at 8:10 pm

Not that easily.  Estrogen therapy makes a person incredibly weak and it takes at least two years of it before surgery is even considered. 

Converting a woman into a full featured man is pretty much impossible.

Written By: Jessica on 06/15/09 at 10:55 am

I was reading somewhere that most transgender patients don't go for the whole surgery or something.  Let me see if I can dig up that article.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/15/09 at 11:00 am

I was reading somewhere that most transgender patients don't go for the whole surgery or something.  Let me see if I can dig up that article.

No they don't.  It's not covered by insurance and very expensive.  Plus very, very few doctors in the U.S. do reassignment surgeries.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/15/09 at 4:58 pm

I remember years ago a story in Rolling Stone about this coupld in Texas.  The guy wanted to be a gal and the gal wanted to be a guy.  So they did the switcheroo and got back together, only in reverse.  I think they got the work done in Mexico.

As I recall (but this was like 20 years ago) they found out that they really did not like each other, did not depend on which sex either were.  That'd have to really ruin your week.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/09 at 9:28 pm

Cher and Cher alike!

:-\\

Written By: saver on 06/15/09 at 11:23 pm

Cher and Cher alike!

:-\\

After Sonny passed, Chastity inherited his mustache and never knew what to do with it..NOW,... ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/16/09 at 3:33 pm

After Sonny passed, Chastity inherited his mustache and never knew what to do with it..NOW,... ;D

You're jokes are really week.  You're going to have to try harder. :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/09 at 10:16 pm

You're jokes are really week.  You're going to have to try harder. :-\\

To be fair, mine wasn't going to get on Jon Stewart...this weak or next weak...

:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/09 at 10:22 pm

When she's done with the surgery, will she be able to pull a bone-o?

What?  That one's not funny either?  Okay, let's see here, this might take a while....

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/17/09 at 5:51 am

What?  That one's not funny either?  Okay, let's see here, this might take a while....

Maybe Chaz Bono can start to date Lisa Bonet.  Than Lisa would be Lisa Bonet-Bono.

Howz that for a weak joke?  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/17/09 at 1:12 pm

To be fair, mine wasn't going to get on Jon Stewart...this weak or next weak...

:(

The weak joke excuse always works.  BTW, not too many people's jokes get on Jon Stewart.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/17/09 at 1:17 pm

From what I heard with the latest surgery she might.  What get's me is that if she's a FTM (female to male) and she's dating a woman doesn't that make her a heterosexual? :-\\ 

The joke has potential, keep working on it. :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/17/09 at 1:20 pm

Maybe Chaz Bono can start to date Lisa Bonet.   Than Lisa would be Lisa Bonet-Bono.

Howz that for a weak joke?   ;D

Thankfully there would be no natural children.  Just imaging how those kids would turn out. :o

Check for new replies or respond here...