inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disney World Monorail Crash kills employee, Monorail Discontinued.

Written By: anabel on 07/06/09 at 5:30 am

How could I have been there yesterday, only 8 hours after this happened, and not have heard one peep about it?  The Monorail has been halted indefinitely during investigation.  We didn't need to use it yesterday, so we didn't notice it wasn't running, but NO ONE talked about this at all there yesterday.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=8005083

Subject: Re: Disney World Monorail Crash kills employee, Monorail Discontinued.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/06/09 at 6:24 am

How could I have been there yesterday, only 8 hours after this happened, and not have heard one peep about it?  The Monorail has been halted indefinitely during investigation.  We didn't need to use it yesterday, so we didn't notice it wasn't running, but NO ONE talked about this at all there yesterday.

Sounds like Mikey Mouse was given a gag order.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/09 at 9:35 am

I thought it would just pop back into shape!

Written By: Michael C. on 07/06/09 at 11:08 am

How do You keep something like that quiet...the story says it happened around 2am...but still....!!

Written By: anabel on 07/06/09 at 2:47 pm

How do You keep something like that quiet...the story says it happened around 2am...but still....!!

The Mouse House really hates it when any bad press gets out-there was a kid that died after getting off the Rockin Roller Coaster a couple of years ago-I don't remember if the investigation revealed the ride to be at fault or not-he already had some physical limitations, I believe.  But really, when something like that happens, they try to squash it out of the news if at all possible....they like to have the image of "That could never happen HERE"

Matthias may be able to shed some more light on the subject?  I guess I was just really shocked that I never even heard one parkgoer mention it to another one, or any of the Mouse House employees discuss it-and right it was in the middle of the night, but news like that usually travels fast...I didn't see it til I turned on the news this morning-over 24 hours later....

Written By: Michael C. on 07/06/09 at 10:52 pm

I've heard tales of What happens in Disney...stays in Disney............But I figured Park Goers would've heard something from each other....

The Mouse House really hates it when any bad press gets out-there was a kid that died after getting off the Rockin Roller Coaster a couple of years ago-I don't remember if the investigation revealed the ride to be at fault or not-he already had some physical limitations, I believe.  But really, when something like that happens, they try to squash it out of the news if at all possible....they like to have the image of "That could never happen HERE"

Matthias may be able to shed some more light on the subject?  I guess I was just really shocked that I never even heard one parkgoer mention it to another one, or any of the Mouse House employees discuss it-and right it was in the middle of the night, but news like that usually travels fast...I didn't see it til I turned on the news this morning-over 24 hours later....

Written By: Mushroom on 07/07/09 at 1:28 am

I've heard tales of What happens in Disney...stays in Disney............But I figured Park Goers would've heard something from each other....

That is a no joke!

About 10 years ago, I worked at Disney.  It was a 4 week contract to upgrade computer systems, and they were so hard to believe.

First, I had to sign a 5 page Non-Disclosure agreement.  Then I had to read and sign off on a 10 page "Conduct" booklet.  Here are just some of the things you are not allowed to do as a DIsney employee:

No talking in the hallways.
No talking in the elevators.
No talking in the parking structure.
No discussion of work off-site.
All badges must be visible at all times at work, and removed before leaving the premises.
All hallways are monitored by video camera and microphones.
The entire parking structure is monitored by video camera and microphones.
All elevators are monitored by video camera and microphones.
All phone calls, e-mails, and web sites visited may be monitored at any time without warning.
All packages comming in and out are searched.
Putting any information seen on the premises on the internet will result in termination.
No photographs will be taken.
All electronics will be cleared before bringing on the site, and cleared before removal.

This gives you an idea.  I worked at the "Burbank Towers", in buildings that originally belonged to ESPN.  To call the corporate mindset "Paranoid" is a gross understatement.  I worked with classified systems at Hughes, Boeing, and the Military and did not see this level of paranoia.

And for employees of the park, I am sure mentioning it is a firing offense.  I was offered a 3 month project there a year and a half later, and I turned it down.  No amount of money would tempt me to work for them again.

Written By: anabel on 07/07/09 at 5:11 am

Well, the Monorail is back open as of this morning but investigations continue...

Written By: danootaandme on 07/07/09 at 5:29 am

Disney entities, and its employees are notorious for being controlled by the corporation to the nth degree.  It is a Stalinist State in and of itself.  I went there, had a good time, but after reading about their practices will never go again, and don't by their products.

Written By: Michael C. on 07/07/09 at 1:51 pm

Thanks for the insight.....
That is a no joke!

About 10 years ago, I worked at Disney.  It was a 4 week contract to upgrade computer systems, and they were so hard to believe.

First, I had to sign a 5 page Non-Disclosure agreement.  Then I had to read and sign off on a 10 page "Conduct" booklet.  Here are just some of the things you are not allowed to do as a DIsney employee:

No talking in the hallways.
No talking in the elevators.
No talking in the parking structure.
No discussion of work off-site.
All badges must be visible at all times at work, and removed before leaving the premises.
All hallways are monitored by video camera and microphones.
The entire parking structure is monitored by video camera and microphones.
All elevators are monitored by video camera and microphones.
All phone calls, e-mails, and web sites visited may be monitored at any time without warning.
All packages comming in and out are searched.
Putting any information seen on the premises on the internet will result in termination.
No photographs will be taken.
All electronics will be cleared before bringing on the site, and cleared before removal.

This gives you an idea.  I worked at the "Burbank Towers", in buildings that originally belonged to ESPN.  To call the corporate mindset "Paranoid" is a gross understatement.  I worked with classified systems at Hughes, Boeing, and the Military and did not see this level of paranoia.

And for employees of the park, I am sure mentioning it is a firing offense.  I was offered a 3 month project there a year and a half later, and I turned it down.  No amount of money would tempt me to work for them again.

Written By: Womble on 07/07/09 at 8:49 pm

Thanks for the insight.....

I agree. Very insightful. I see a different perspective of the park now.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/07/09 at 11:32 pm

re: Employee controls.

Mauschwitz.  (Sometimes not working sets one free.)  'Nuff said. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/09 at 1:15 am

Let Mush's experience at Disney be a lesson to us all.  You want to create a utopia?  That's what you're gonna get.  Just replace "termination" with "liquidation."

My brother-in-law's grandfather was an electrician at Disneyworld in the 1970s.  They wouldn't let Paul inside they park, though, because the kid had, gasp, long hair!
:o

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/08/09 at 10:29 pm

And now for something completely different, a free novel, courtesy of the author:

Cory Doctorow's Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom.

It's about what to do with Disney's original animatronic exhibits in the Hall of the Presidents, nanotechnology, virtual reality, karma whoring, and by the way, everyone's immortal -- because everyone who had a problem with immortality is now dead.  What would happen if real life had a "save game" button?

William Gibson's Neuromancer celebrated its 25th anniversary recently.  Doctorow puts it down nerd-style; cyberpunk's not only alive and well, it wears mouse ears.  Walt may be spinning in his cryogenic grave at the fact that someone used his park as a setting for a novel, but even he would dig the technology.

Check for new replies or respond here...