inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Paul McCartney Up On The Roof

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/09 at 2:30 am

Sir Paul McCartney performs atop the Ed Sullivan Theater during a taping of The Late Show with David Letterman in New York.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/entertainment_enl_1247741015/img/1.jpg

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.winnipegsun.com/entertainment/music/2009/07/16/mccartney640.jpg&size=640x480&quality=60

McCartney's roof-top gig came as the singer made his first ever appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman, which has been broadcast from the theatre since 1993. Sir Paul's gig came 45 years after he performed alongside George Harrison, Ringo Starr and John Lennon on the Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964.
The Beatles's live appearance was watched by 74million viewers and brought a new wave of  Beatlemania and the start of the 'British Invasion' to the U.S.

During his pre-recorded set for the CBS talk show, the 67-year-old performed a mix of his solo material and Beatles tracks, including Get Back, Back in the USSR and Helter Skelter, and Wings classic Band On The Run. Hundreds of fans brought Broadway to a standstill as they crowded outside the building for the gig, reminiscent of the time Sir Paul performed with the Beatles in London on the roof of their record label Apple's building in 1969.

Among the audience members were celebrity fans Bruce Willis and his wife Emma Heming. Fortunately for the Hollywood couple, they were spotted in the audience by a member of the CBS crew and were given the chance to watch the gig from a cherry picker.

Subject: Re: Paul McCartney Up On The Roof

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/09 at 9:19 am

I was already to watch that when the CBS affiliate I get started crapping out :\'(

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/17/09 at 9:29 am

Dammit!  This happened in my town and I missed it  :\'(

Written By: Tia on 07/17/09 at 9:54 am

why must sir paul insist on raping Willow with his mouth?  >:(

Written By: Michael C. on 07/17/09 at 5:47 pm

Saw it on the news...Then watched Letterman that night.......

Written By: Mushroom on 07/18/09 at 4:03 am

I caught it, but since the office I was in has a "Close Captioning Only" rule, I had to watch it while reading the lyrics.

About 8 years ago, Good Morning America had Ringo Starr in concert outside of their studio.  That was good also.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/18/09 at 4:08 am

Among the audience members were celebrity fans Bruce Willis and his wife Emma Heming. Fortunately for the Hollywood couple, they were spotted in the audience by a member of the CBS crew and were given the chance to watch the gig from a cherry picker.

Manlift, not cherry picker.  Small point, but one that drives people who work with heavy construction equipment nuts.

Written By: Frank on 07/18/09 at 6:15 pm

Cool, never heard about it until I read this Thread.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/09 at 2:34 am

Did he sing "Up On The Roof"?

Written By: danootaandme on 07/19/09 at 5:14 am

Get Back, and a new one.

I watched it, it was good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/09 at 1:46 pm

Get Back, and a new one.

I watched it, it was good.
Is it on YouTube?

Written By: danootaandme on 07/19/09 at 6:22 pm

I see the interview, but not the music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/09 at 12:40 pm

Last February U2 played a concert on the roof of BBC's Broadcasting House in London, I did know this was to happen that day, but I did not know what time and I did not fancy the waiting around for it to start.

Check for new replies or respond here...