inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Britney Spears the biggest artist of this decade?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/09 at 4:25 am

Over 83 million albums sold and I think no other artist has sold as much as her worldwide this decade.  :o

Any thoughts? If you have any more info on album sales or disagreements on who had the most influence this decade please reply.

Subject: Re: Is Britney Spears the biggest artist of this decade?

Written By: gibbo on 07/21/09 at 6:06 am

Not certain where you got that figure from  :-\\ ... but a quick search advises that Eminem is the highest selling artist this decade with 31,127,000.  It has Spears 5th (best female) with  22,937,000...

Maybe, that's just Billboard figures... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/09 at 6:18 am

How do the worldwide sells of Michael Jackson's albums fare over the last few weeks?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/09 at 7:15 am

How do the worldwide sells of Michael Jackson's albums fare over the last few weeks?

Good point.  The death of Michael Jackson shows once again that dying often gives a great boost to an artist's career.

Written By: Pucca on 07/21/09 at 10:03 am

From waist measurements?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/09 at 12:56 pm

Not certain where you got that figure from  :-\\ ... but a quick search advises that Eminem is the highest selling artist this decade with 31,127,000.  It has Spears 5th (best female) with  22,937,000...

Maybe, that's just Billboard figures... :-\\

Oh, mine is from worldwide sales, not national!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/09 at 12:58 pm

He's sold 2.3 million in the US the last time I checked him, but it's probaby increased by now.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/09 at 12:59 pm

Oh, sorry, you meant worldwide sales, than I don't know!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/09 at 1:05 pm

Eminem has sold 77 million worldwide so far. As for Michael I heard 750 million, but with 2.3 million in the US I would double those sales for worldwide sales purposes (worldwide totals, including, US, usually are double that of the US. So 750 million + 4.6 million would equal about 754.6 million worldwide.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/09 at 1:16 pm

But if we're talking about artists selling just between 2000 and 2009, than Britney's first album, ...Baby One More Time wouldn't count because it came out in 1999. So that's 83 million minus 25 million, and that would make her only 58 million worldwide.

Eminem's first two albums, Infinite (1996) and The Slim Shady Lp (1999) wouldn't count because they both came out in the 90's so minus 9 million worldwide (Slim Shady Lp) and 1,000 copies infinite sold in the US (it didn't sale any copies outside of the US, I think it was only released in the US), than we have about 68 million albums worldwide (I'm not even gonna worry about 1,000 copies of infinite)!

So Eminem's sold 68 million albums between 2000 and 2009.
Britney has sold 58 million between 2000 and 2009.

Wow, so Eminem's sold more than Britney!

But then again, I don't know about any other artist's sales worldwide besides these two so I can't say Eminem is the biggest seller this decade.

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/09 at 5:59 pm

She's the biggest wacko of this decade

Written By: 80sfan on 07/21/09 at 6:28 pm

1 karamel, Lol!

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/21/09 at 7:53 pm

Agreed!  :D

Written By: tv on 07/23/09 at 1:39 pm

Is britney the biggest artrist the decade? I would say she is because she has been relevant for the whole decade. I do think though that 50 Cent was more dominant than Britney in the mid 00's and Rihanna is just as popular as Britney as now. I also do think that Kanye West or Alicia Keys could be in the conversation for artist of the decade as well.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/09 at 2:16 pm

Is britney the biggest artrist the decade? I would say she is because she has been relevant for the whole decade. I do think though that 50 Cent was more dominant than Britney in the mid 00's and Rihanna is just as popular as Britney as now. I also do think that Kanye West or Alicia Keys could be in the conversation for artist of the decade as well.

As much as I found those previous comments amusing, it's good to read a serious comment for once about Britney.

Oh, and don't forget Eminem. He was huge this decade!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/09 at 3:15 pm

Oh, and don't forget Eminem. He was huge this decade!
..and is still making hits.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/09 at 3:45 pm

..and is still making hits.

Thank you for reminding me. I quite like his music.

Written By: 90steen on 07/23/09 at 8:13 pm

Thank you for reminding me. I quite like his music.

Including his underground angry songs which he raps about beating and killing women in? My nephew's made me listen to some of them and let me tell you, he has a lot of anger inside of him.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/09 at 8:31 pm

Including his underground angry songs which he raps about beating and killing women in? My nephew's made me listen to some of them and let me tell you, he has a lot of anger inside of him.

Ha ha, yeah I agree. He is one angry bastard, but I like him! You can't take his words too seriously. He's just trying to keep up an image. If he acts too soft, everyone will think he should be a pop star.

For example when he rapped about brutalizing homosexuals. Guess what? Then he went and sang in 2001 with Elton John, a legendary gay singer. If he was truly homophobic, he wouldn't have even sung with Elton.

You can't take his words too seriously. He's just trying to keep up an image. If he acts too soft, everyone will think he should be a pop star.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/23/09 at 8:37 pm

*laughing* Britney Spear? Biggest artist of the decade? *laughing* More like biggest whack job. *laughing* It's people like her that reminds me that Michael Jackson was NORMAL. *laughing*

*rolling on the floor laughing*  ;D

Written By: kellygoo72 on 07/23/09 at 10:25 pm

no... shes stinky poo! just my opinon....

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/09 at 1:48 am

The title of this topic should read "Is Britney Spears the thinness artist of this decade?", not biggest?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/24/09 at 2:02 am

The title of this topic should read "Is Britney Spears the thinness artist of this decade?", not biggest?

Nope, the award for thinnest would be either Nicole Richie or Lindsay Lohan!  ;D

Written By: Keyboard Smoothies on 07/25/09 at 6:37 pm

yes unfortunately.  >:(

Written By: 80sfan on 07/25/09 at 8:19 pm

yes unfortunately.  >:(

ROTFLMAO!

Check for new replies or respond here...