inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Asia watches long solar eclipse

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/22/09 at 2:11 am

Full Report on BBC News Online

People in Asia have seen the longest total solar eclipse this century, with large areas of India and China plunged into darkness.

Amateur stargazers and scientists travelled far to see the eclipse, which lasted six minutes and 39 seconds at its maximum point.

The eclipse could first be seen early on Wednesday in eastern India.

It then moved east across India, Nepal, Burma, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Japan and the Pacific.

The eclipse first became total over India at 0053GMT, and was last visible from land at Nikumaroro Island in the South Pacific nation of Kiribati. It ended at 0418GMT.

Elsewhere, a partial eclipse was visible across much of Asia

Subject: Re: Asia watches long solar eclipse

Written By: ninny on 07/22/09 at 6:03 am

Full Report on BBC News Online

People in Asia have seen the longest total solar eclipse this century, with large areas of India and China plunged into darkness.

Amateur stargazers and scientists travelled far to see the eclipse, which lasted six minutes and 39 seconds at its maximum point.

The eclipse could first be seen early on Wednesday in eastern India.

It then moved east across India, Nepal, Burma, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Japan and the Pacific.

The eclipse first became total over India at 0053GMT, and was last visible from land at Nikumaroro Island in the South Pacific nation of Kiribati. It ended at 0418GMT.

Elsewhere, a partial eclipse was visible across much of Asia

I just read about this..I never realized there was one till I read about it.

Subject: Re: Asia watches long solar eclipse

Written By: nally on 07/22/09 at 2:00 pm

I just read about this..I never realized there was one till I read about it.

Me neither. Interesting stuff. :)

That article also states that the next total solar eclipse will occur on my birthday next year (when I turn 30!)...but it will only "be visible in a narrow corridor over the southern hemisphere, from the southern Pacific Ocean to Argentina," which is too far south for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...