inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Decline of good grammar (spelling, capitalization, etc.)- When did it decline?

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/22/09 at 7:43 am

When people look back at the 2000s, I'm afraid I'll remember it for when the quality of spelling/grammar/punctuation/capitalization really went downhill. Yes, even well-edited newspapers have always had a typo here or there, but I think even those have noticably declined in quality. Isn't it ironic that we thought it was better than ever in the '90s with the popularity of Spell Check and Grammar Check? I feel like that many websites neeed automatic "smart spell checkers", where they can recognize the sentence and if it detects some problems, it will automatically change it for them, unless if a user hits a "turn auto-checker" off. Twitter especially drives me isnane- even for the "older celebrities", you still see a lot of the same junk in sentences. It's very annoying.

While the decline of this stuff began in the late '90s as chat rooms were widepsread, it really has accelerated with the rise of text messaging (and I hate when people drop the "e" in text! To me, I feel like bad grammar is poor because I feel it is "too childish", and that they are writing like they are first graders! Somebody needs to invent a better spell/grammar checker!

Subject: Re: Decline of good grammar (spelling, capitalization, etc.)- When did it decline?

Written By: philbo on 07/22/09 at 8:17 am

IMO spelling and grammar checkers are part of the problem, not a potential solution: they stop people from thinking about what they've just written.

A check on websites that comes up with a warning message "That looks like utterly meaningless drivel - are you sure you'd like to post it anyway?" would be a better way to go ;)

Texting, IM & chatrooms and recently Twitter have definitely made the problem worse (a certain ex-Alaskan governor is a definite offender on the last one)

Subject: Re: Decline of good grammar (spelling, capitalization, etc.)- When did it decline?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/22/09 at 8:36 am

I had a guy who worked for me who was a terrible speller.  Every time his word processor program flagged a wrong word, he simply selected "add to dictionary".  ::)

Written By: Medemia on 07/22/09 at 9:42 am

I dunno.  Haps its txt mssging, prhps chat rms.  Phaps the idia of creetive math 4 a genration gone heywhyre and bck 2 rouste.

Personally, I get annoyed with it rather quickly.  Especially when it starts showing up in work situations.  I work with a lot of college kids and text and internet language, while acceptable in some places, has no place in official correspondence.

:o

Written By: snozberries on 07/22/09 at 9:49 am

I had a guy who worked for me who was a terrible speller.  Every time his word processor program flagged a wrong word, he simply selected "add to dictionary".   ::)

I work with a guy who can't spell for shyt. He asked me how to spell something and I said you know- why don't you just use dictionary.com?

he typed in- I kid you not- dikshunery.com  ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/09 at 9:50 am

I work with a guy who can't spell for shyt. He asked me how to spell something and I said you know- why don't you just use dictionary.com?

he typed in- I kid you not- dikshunery.com  ::)

Dictionary.com is my best friend.

Written By: Jessica on 07/22/09 at 10:43 am

Don't even get me started on that drivel.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/22/09 at 11:36 am

Blame it on hip-hop culture also! No offense to those who like it though.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/22/09 at 11:37 am

ES mee spelllingg goad?  :o

Revised version: Is my spelling good?  ;D

Written By: Midas on 07/22/09 at 1:41 pm

...I feel like that many websites neeed automatic "smart spell checkers",... 

Irony!

Written By: snozberries on 07/22/09 at 4:34 pm

Irony!

I was going to let it go, but since you started it I have decided to finish it.  :P

When people ( use I to maintain tense) look back at the 2000s, I'm afraid I'll remember it for when the quality of spelling/grammar/punctuation/capitalization really went downhill. Yes, even well-edited newspapers have always had a typo here or there, but I think even those have noticably declined in quality. Isn't it ironic that we thought it was better than ever in the '90s with the popularity of Spell Check and Grammar Check? I feel like that many websites neeed automatic "smart spell checkers", where they that can recognize the sentence and, if it detects some problems, it will automatically change it for them, unless if a user hits a "turn auto-checker" off. Twitter especially drives me isnane - even for the "older celebrities", you still see a lot of the same junk in sentences. It's very annoying.

While the decline of this stuff began in the late '90s as chat rooms were widepsread , it really has accelerated with the rise of text messaging (and I hate when people drop the "e" in text! To me, I feel like bad grammar is poor because I feel it is "too childish", and that they are writing like they are first graders! Somebody needs to invent a better spell/grammar checker!

Written By: gibbo on 07/23/09 at 12:41 am

I was going to let it go, but since you started it I have decided to finish it.  :P

I was going to mention some of these but I was too afraid to post for fear of typing errors! Anyway....what's my grandma have to do with all of this..? :D

Written By: loki 13 on 07/23/09 at 4:54 pm

After I read the grammatical errors in the thread title I assumed the thread was sarcasm. After I read the opening post
I hope it is sarcasm.

Poor grammar doesn't bother me on message boards. I wouldn't wear a tuxedo to Burger King but I have one in my wardrobe
in case I'm ever called to the White House. these are casual sites, so casual conversation and grammar is acceptable. I'm not
an English teacher and I'm not grading papers so as long as I can understand what's being said I'm okay with it. However, as
I've stated on another thread, I despise when misspelling and poor grammer is used when it means something to only to the
person posting or advertisers trying to sell a product.

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/09 at 9:54 pm

I was going to mention some of these but I was too afraid to post for fear of typing errors! Anyway....what's my grandma have to do with all of this..? :D

I meant to say since you started it Midas... I hope it was clear that my opening comment was to Midas.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 07/23/09 at 10:39 pm

Blame it on hip-hop culture also! No offense to those who like it though.

THATS NUTS>>> Blame music??? Its just the lazy way We ALL ARE>>. I think texting is the worst but, guess we will all roll with it.... truth is, no one cares and thats why it is the way it is.... God forbid people take paper to pen and write someone !!!!!
Thats progress for ya???
BTW, I think rock had changed spelling and styes too... not just hip hop.... Remember, Fergie helps everyone spell and shes HIP HOP !!! LOL

Glamorous..... and Gwen Holla back girl.... I mean, how else would someone know how to spell BANANAS!
::)
lol

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/09 at 11:28 pm

Gen-X.  My generation. I didn't learn how to properly use semicolons until after college.

My majors: English and Journalism.
:-[

Written By: 80sfan on 07/24/09 at 2:06 am

THATS NUTS>>> Blame music??? Its just the lazy way We ALL ARE>>. I think texting is the worst but, guess we will all roll with it.... truth is, no one cares and thats why it is the way it is.... God forbid people take paper to pen and write someone !!!!!
Thats progress for ya???
BTW, I think rock had changed spelling and styes too... not just hip hop.... Remember, Fergie helps everyone spell and shes HIP HOP !!! LOL

Glamorous..... and Gwen Holla back girl.... I mean, how else would someone know how to spell BANANAS!
::)
lol

You are just too good! 1 karamel.

Written By: Keyboard Smoothies on 07/25/09 at 6:19 pm

Probably beginning a bit in the early 1990s ... then getting way worse in the 2000s. Like many things.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/25/09 at 10:11 pm

When they outlawed corporal punishment!

:o

Subject: Re: Decline of good grammar (spelling, capitalization, etc.)- When did it declin

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/29/09 at 12:50 am

While the decline of this stuff began in the late '90s as chat rooms were widepsread, it really has accelerated with the rise of text messaging (and I hate when people drop the "e" in text! To me, I feel like bad grammar is poor because I feel it is "too childish", and that they are writing like they are first graders! Somebody needs to invent a better spell/grammar checker!

You hit the nail on the head.  It started when text messaging became widely available. 

If you've got a full alphanumeric keyboard - even if you're hunting-and-pecking, as opposed to touch-typing - you're going to spell things correctly. 

If you're entering textual data through a 10-digit cellphone/wireless device, it's going to take you longer (under any text entry system, even a predictive one,) to type "you're" or "your" than "ur", and you may as well type "ur" and let the recipient of the message figure out what you meant from the context of the message. 

The poor UI afforded by mobile devices immediately sparked a race to the bottom, in which the winner is the one who can use the fewest number of characters to express the thought, even if it required the use of phonetic spelling.

It's annoying, it's infuriating, but it's completely understandable given the original limitations of the user interface -- a mapping of letters to numbers that dates back to 1950s-era rotary dial phones.  The depressing thing is that with the omnipresence of devices with full-screen touch-based keyboards, things haven't changed for the better.

For anyone who doesn't think that punctuation matters, I'd remind you about the joke about the panda bear's sexual habits: after all the encyclopedia says the panda eats shoots and leaves.  And for anyone still in doubt about the importance punctuation (and of the importance of the serial comma in particular), I'd like to point them to the canonical example:  a book dedication reading "This book is dedeciated to my parents, God and Ayn Rand".  The author must have had one hell of a childhood.

e.e. cummings had, as an excuse, the fact that archie was a cockroach who couldn't press the shift key.  and his companion, mehitabel the cat, was... well, a cat, and lolcats wouldn't be half as funny if it weren't for what passes for grammar among internet-connected felines.  but wotthehell kids, there's a hell of a lawn next door, get off mine.

Subject: Re: Decline of good grammar (spelling, capitalization, etc.)- When did it declin

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/29/09 at 1:28 am

You hit the nail on the head.  It started when text messaging became widely available. 

If you've got a full alphanumeric keyboard - even if you're hunting-and-pecking, as opposed to touch-typing - you're going to spell things correctly. 

If you're entering textual data through a 10-digit cellphone/wireless device, it's going to take you longer (under any text entry system, even a predictive one,) to type "you're" or "your" than "ur", and you may as well type "ur" and let the recipient of the message figure out what you meant from the context of the message. 

The poor UI afforded by mobile devices immediately sparked a race to the bottom, in which the winner is the one who can use the fewest number of characters to express the thought, even if it required the use of phonetic spelling.

It's annoying, it's infuriating, but it's completely understandable given the original limitations of the user interface -- a mapping of letters to numbers that dates back to 1950s-era rotary dial phones.  The depressing thing is that with the omnipresence of devices with full-screen touch-based keyboards, things haven't changed for the better.

For anyone who doesn't think that punctuation matters, I'd remind you about the joke about the panda bear's sexual habits: after all the encyclopedia says the panda eats shoots and leaves.  And for anyone still in doubt about the importance punctuation (and of the importance of the serial comma in particular), I'd like to point them to the canonical example:  a book dedication reading "This book is dedeciated to my parents, God and Ayn Rand".  The author must have had one hell of a childhood.

Redundancy, Ayn Rand is God!
:D

Hello, Central, get me Klondike-58332!

Check for new replies or respond here...