inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will console TV be replaced by Internet live streaming?

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/31/09 at 8:42 am

It's definately happening as some 35-inch+ sets offer online access, and TV streaming online has really taken off in the past several years. I actually watch as much streaming video online as a do in a console TV. Most of these models are expensive, but I expect price drops over the next decade+ as most other technologies do, such as the console LCD/Plasma monitors. But, I can predict the following scenerios happening (starting a few years back):

2005-06: Online video streaming starts to take off with Youtube and other video sites.
2007-2009: Explosion of online video streaming popularity, the first TV/Online/Desktop sets are being sold; many teens spending less time on the traditional television set thinking of it as their parents' time.
2010-2014: Gradual drop in the price of these things; since digital TV was not a huge leap in technology for TV (with just better picture quality), more and more people prefer to have a combination set, with a big surge in the 2013-2015 era.
2015-2019: Non-computer Flat Screen sets start to feel like dinosaurs as in this time frame, the Live streaming TV becomes the prefered media of choice. Advertisers lose money as most people skip them in favor of a different channel. Video games in this generation are all online as well. Blu-Ray/DVD is also pretty much dead as online movie downloading simply provides the movie in its fullest form (already in its primitive stages today.)
2020s on- A console TV without computer/Web has retro value only. People on a board like this will be saying, remember when TVs didn't let you go onto the computer and how you had to buy a separate port to play video games?

Subject: Re: When will console TV be replaced by Internet live streaming?

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/09 at 9:18 am

It never will be

Written By: Red Ant on 07/31/09 at 9:41 am

For the past year, we've been cabling most hotels with coax and cat6 for CATV and internet. I haven't seen any of these systems live yet for internet on TV, but it's coming soon.

Ant

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/31/09 at 3:12 pm

I sure hope so because right now TV Stations suck!

Look at The Disney Channel and TV Land, they lost their identity and went for the ratings!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 3:22 pm

Here in the UK it has already started, all the terrestial channels cater fo it, Sky has to be paid for.

I was watching live golf and Wimbledon this year.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 07/31/09 at 3:53 pm

In my opinion, TV died when YouTube came into existence. The only problem with YouTube is it is insanely slow on dial up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 3:55 pm

In my opinion, TV died when YouTube came into existence. The only problem with YouTube is it is insanely slow on dial up.
...and YouTube only can show the clips in 10 minute segments.

Written By: Klk2003 on 07/31/09 at 4:41 pm

TV (and the press for that matter) will never be gone because watching TV is better than watching a video a the laptop (laptop screens are too small). Press will never disappear because most news sites are written by amateurs and not real journalist (exluding the official TV sattion/newspaper websites) and just about every jurk can comment on the article in a space under it, which is annoying - I don't care about the opinions and spam under the articles.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/09 at 4:43 pm

TV (and the press for that matter) will never be gone because watching TV is better than watching a video a the laptop (laptop screens are too small).
...but some televisions do have screen at the same size as a laptop.

Written By: goodbants on 06/16/20 at 7:31 pm

Wow.. OP is surprisingly accurate. Nice foresight!  :)

Written By: Sman12 on 06/16/20 at 8:44 pm

Well, it's getting mostly replaced by now.

Written By: goodbants on 06/16/20 at 10:21 pm

Well, it's getting mostly replaced by now.

Yea, but a Roku TV is pretty much the same concept.

Written By: Sman12 on 06/17/20 at 1:01 pm

Yea, but a Roku TV is pretty much the same concept.

I view it as more of a hybrid between cable and streaming platforms.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/17/20 at 2:10 pm

I bought a stand-alone roku for whenever I’m able to get fiber internet. I would rather keep my tech devices separate. Then if I need to replace or upgrade either I can do that.

I don’t see tv getting replaced until everyone has reliable high speed internet with no data caps. We are far from that.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/20 at 2:49 pm

I view it as more of a hybrid between cable and streaming platforms.

My Father has a Roku.

Check for new replies or respond here...