inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are people who like all of the "crap music/TV" dumber?

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/04/09 at 6:26 am

There is something I have found on various sites with regards to the newer artists with the crappier music. When you look at comments sections of the "classic" artists, you usually find well-writen thoughts and opinions with good grammar and mechanics. However (particularly with the newer rappers and lame pop), you see a lot of text speak and lazyness in writing, which suggests that the bad music may be naturally causing these people to sacrifice their writing skills that their parents really took well. The same thing with all of the nonsense TV shows that have flooded the networks recently. This may suggest that these people, while some may have good visual skills, are at the very least very materialistic/souless though the music could really have a bad effect on their minds.

Subject: Re: Are people who like all of the "crap music/TV" dumber?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/09 at 11:14 am

God, I hate my generation!  :-[

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/09 at 11:16 am

Yes, I agree, text messaging and music does affect people to a certain point. But I think those kids write that way not because they're dumb, but because it's a trend.

But it is true though, SOME kids are truly dumb.  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/04/09 at 11:42 am

I hate cheesy rap videos, autotune, bling, rap videos with clubs and girls in them, and throwing money at camera.

What happen to creativy?

::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/09 at 3:08 pm

There is something I have found on various sites with regards to the newer artists with the crappier music. When you look at comments sections of the "classic" artists, you usually find well-writen thoughts and opinions with good grammar and mechanics. However (particularly with the newer rappers and lame pop), you see a lot of text speak and lazyness in writing, which suggests that the bad music may be naturally causing these people to sacrifice their writing skills that their parents really took well. The same thing with all of the nonsense TV shows that have flooded the networks recently. This may suggest that these people, while some may have good visual skills, are at the very least very materialistic/souless though the music could really have a bad effect on their minds.

Materialistic and soulless is a good indictment of our culture in general, unfortunately. 

Weddings are grand, marriages are miserable.  Think about it.

It has been nearly half a century since FCC chairman Newton Minow gave his famous vast wasteland speech about television.  Nowadays the difference is the wasteland is that much vaster.  I was thinking about how much more choice one has, and yet, even if you choose to watch the History Channel instead of "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire," the quality is only marginally better and you're still bombarded with commercials.  Then there's PBS, ah, don't get me started...

And when you look at what sells and what gets the highest ratings, it's the lowest common denominator, no matter how low it sinks. 
::)

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/06/09 at 12:11 pm

This is what I hate about this decade...no creativity!

Rap music overstayed its welcome, Reality Shows are the only thing on TV, and movies are nothing but remakes.

It seems that they stopped trying and if you want to see or hear classic stuff, they tell you to buy the DVD and if its not on DVD...you're fudgeed!

Written By: Jebusa on 08/06/09 at 12:24 pm

I still fail to see this how this decade lacks more creativity than the preceding decades.  Let's look at the 90s.  We had music from Britney Spears topping the charts and movies like Armageddon topping the box office.  We also had outstanding movies like the Shawshank Redemption and great new bands like Weezer in their early days.  Now, we have sheeshty rap music on the charts and garbage like Transformers in theatres, but we also have great new indie bands and great movies like (500) Days of Summer.  Someone explain to me how the 00's is any dumber than the 90s please, and do not use the phrase, "well the 90s were more fun and innocent than the 00s."

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/07/09 at 2:34 pm

I still fail to see this how this decade lacks more creativity than the preceding decades.  Let's look at the 90s.  We had music from Britney Spears topping the charts and movies like Armageddon topping the box office.  We also had outstanding movies like the Shawshank Redemption and great new bands like Weezer in their early days.  Now, we have crappy rap music on the charts and garbage like Transformers in theatres, but we also have great new indie bands and great movies like (500) Days of Summer.  Someone explain to me how the 00's is any dumber than the 90s please, and do not use the phrase, "well the 90s were more fun and innocent than the 00s."

The 90's wern't innocent and earlier in the 90's, we had the Seattle Sound and later Alternative Music. Yes, there's some good things about the 00's, but all it is is Reality Shows and American Idol.

Also, cable TV decided to get the ratings rather than keep their identity. The only thing that's now Disney with The Disney Channel is...using the name Disney! 8-P

Written By: whistledog on 08/07/09 at 4:23 pm

Most mainstream music today is dumb and I wouldn't poison my ears by listening to it

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/09 at 8:57 pm

Most mainstream music today is dumb and I wouldn't poison my ears by listening to it

Well said, sir!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/07/09 at 10:42 pm

Jason...I love you man...and I'm not trying to be an ass...but you have frigging "Too Close for Comfort" as your avatar.  One of the dumbest shows ever!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 08/08/09 at 12:51 am

Jason...I love you man...and I'm not trying to be an ass...but you have frigging "Too Close for Comfort" as your avatar.  One of the dumbest shows ever!  ;D

To each his own.  I was a BIG fan of Too Close and still love it today.

Written By: 90steen on 08/08/09 at 5:11 pm

Maybe, possibly. I just think the "Crap" music captured youth's attention more than an adult, and they would be less likely to type in a proper way.

Sometimes I wonder what I would be like and what I would listen to if I was 16 years old this 2009.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/08/09 at 7:37 pm

Jason...I love you man...and I'm not trying to be an ass...but you have frigging "Too Close for Comfort" as your avatar.  One of the dumbest shows ever!   ;D

I don't think I ever watched a single episode of TCFC.  It was just one of those sit-coms that was always in the background while I was growing up, like "One Day at a Time" or "Eight is Enough."

Written By: Davester on 08/08/09 at 9:45 pm

Recently purchased TCFC S-1 and it's funnier than I remember.  The last I've seen of it were re-runs in 1985.  Ted Knight is brilliant as always.  I've always thought Monroe was supposed to be gay...

Written By: whistledog on 08/08/09 at 10:01 pm

Recently purchased TCFC S-1 and it's funnier than I remember.  The last I've seen of it were re-runs in 1985.  Ted Knight is brilliant as always.  I've always thought Monroe was supposed to be gay...

How about that Pilot episode with Lydia Cornell in the towel.  She looks awesome on a HD TV :o

Did you get Season 1 in a store?  I read where RHINO lost the rights to release more seasons, so Seasons 1 and 2 were deleted from their catalog, and Season 3 which was planned (box art was released as a teaser) ended up being cancelled

I was able to get S1 and S2 in a used CD shop.  I had gone to HMV to try and order them, and I was told they were deleted from the catalog

Written By: Davester on 08/08/09 at 10:13 pm

How about that Pilot episode with Lydia Cornell in the towel.  She looks awesome on a HD TV :o

Did you get Season 1 in a store?  I read where RHINO lost the rights to release more seasons, so Seasons 1 and 2 were deleted from their catalog, and Season 3 which was planned (box art was released as a teaser) ended up being cancelled

I was able to get S1 and S2 in a used CD shop.  I had gone to HMV to try and order them, and I was told they were deleted from the catalog

Lydia Cornell was a stone babe.  End of discussion...

I purchased S-1 from an amazon marketplace seller for around six bucks new.  Not bad.  Bought it despite the lackluster reviews on amazon.  It's been sooo long since I've seen this show I'll be damned if I can remember any changes/edits.  Looks good, sounds good...

So that explains why no more seasons - Rhino lost the rights.  Hate that.  A guy ends-up with all these gaping holes in his DVD series...

Written By: whistledog on 08/08/09 at 10:19 pm

It's been sooo long since I've seen this show I'll be damned if I can remember any changes/edits.  Looks good, sounds good...

The same here.  I got S2 before I got S1, and watching it then was the first I'd seen it since reruns in the very early 90s.  I didn't really notice anything that I (barely) could remember, but all the laughs I remembered were still there, and the opening with Henry falling off the couch lol

So that explains why no more seasons - Rhino lost the rights.  Hate that.  A guy ends-up with all these gaping holes in his DVD series...

It's speculation that they did lose the rights, though both seasons are still available on their site, so there may be hope for Season 3 one day.  I still don't know why they teased us with Season 3, then didn't release it. 

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/tcfcs3.jpg

Written By: Davester on 08/08/09 at 10:28 pm

The same here.  I got S2 before I got S1, and watching it then was the first I'd seen it since reruns in the very early 90s.  I didn't really notice anything that I (barely) could remember, but all the laughs I remembered were still there, and the opening with Henry falling off the couch lol

It's speculation that they did lose the rights, though both seasons are still available on their site, so there may be hope for Season 3 one day.  I still don't know why they teased us with Season 3, then didn't release it. 

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/tcfcs3.jpg

Same thing happened with Shout Factory's Inspector Gadget and Heathcliff & Catillac Cats - One season and then zip.  Their license expires.  Still waiting for someone to take care of SWAT.  Also, no sign of One Day at a Time season two.  As for WKRP in Cincinatti, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll pay sixty bucks per season with all original music intact and no editing.  Hell, it's not like that show lasted twenty seasons, ya know?  Are these people insane..?

Written By: whistledog on 08/08/09 at 10:37 pm

Same thing happened with Shout Factory's Inspector Gadget and Heathcliff & Catillac Cats - One season and then zip.  Their license expires.  Still waiting for someone to take care of SWAT.  Also, no sign of One Day at a Time season two.  As for WKRP in Cincinatti, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll pay sixty bucks per season with all original music intact and no editing.  Hell, it's not like that show lasted twenty seasons, ya know?  Are these people insane..?

WKRP may be a lost cause.  All the reviews I read from people who bought it, was more negative than positive.  I didn't really mind the music changes (with the exception of the radio call in episode, and JEnnifer's doorbell), and I too would gladly pay top dollar for Seasons 2-4

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/09/09 at 1:08 am

I don't necessarily think that they are dumb, remember that the age of most people into older music is. . .older, wiser people.  Younger people who are into older music, tend to be more mature also which is how they came across such tastes in the first place.  Come ten, twenty years from now, they'll be saying the same thing about the musicians that are out then, and referring to the 2000s in the manner we refer to the 60s, 70s, 80s, and some of us 90s. . .

Personally, I find less than 5% of today's music tolerable, I'm a 80s/90s kid, but that's what I grew up with.  I don't think that it's because they are 'dumber', remember when people were kids in the 60s/70s/80s the internet didn't exist, and in the 90s it was brand new and boards and such really weren't around yet. . .this is a new phenomenon, but it was going on then too. . .just not online

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/09/09 at 5:13 pm

I don't necessarily think that they are dumb, remember that the age of most people into older music is. . .older, wiser people.  Younger people who are into older music, tend to be more mature also which is how they came across such tastes in the first place.  Come ten, twenty years from now, they'll be saying the same thing about the musicians that are out then, and referring to the 2000s in the manner we refer to the 60s, 70s, 80s, and some of us 90s. . .

Personally, I find less than 5% of today's music tolerable, I'm a 80s/90s kid, but that's what I grew up with.  I don't think that it's because they are 'dumber', remember when people were kids in the 60s/70s/80s the internet didn't exist, and in the 90s it was brand new and boards and such really weren't around yet. . .this is a new phenomenon, but it was going on then too. . .just not online

I also heard that Gen-Yers (like me) don't respect the status quo unlike other generations. I think Gen Y want things as Status Quo Ante...the way things were, like TV Stations.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/09/09 at 11:24 pm

Old farts who grew up with full keyboards as their primary input devices typed in complete sentences.  They use punctuation to replace the bits of inflection that would otherwise be present in vocal communication.  They've read lots of printed media, and are accustomed to using punctuation and capitalization as visual cues and short-cuts to speed the reading process.  They also had teachers who were adamant that how one presents oneself in print is as important as the ideas one is trying to express, and who graded them accordingly.

Young'uns who grew up with wireless phone keyboards as their primary input devices type in txtspk they dont need punctuation you just read it as a stream of words one word at a time like you were reading it out loud and having a conversation even if it doesnt make sense in print it makes sense if you read it like you were talking 2 some1 and besides its not like ne1 reads books everythings on tv and youtube so why should everything have 2 look like its in a book as long as u get the msg across even if our teacher doesnt like it we still pass the course

There's no intelligence gap, it's a generational/cultural gap caused by access and exposure to different communication media.

Written By: Davester on 08/10/09 at 5:28 pm

;D ^

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/10/09 at 8:59 pm

I pretty much agree (depends on the person, obviously). I don't think hip hop or reality tv makes people dumb, but it might appeal to the kids who are already that way.

My only beef is when all current music (including the small percentage I like) gets lumped in with the crap. I mean, rip on the Jonas Brothers and mainstream hip hop all you want, but Katy Perry and Lady Gaga are awesome. :) I bet if my 10 year old self woke up here, I'd like them too.

Check for new replies or respond here...