inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hackers hit Twitter and Facebook

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/09 at 1:31 pm

Full report on BBC News Online

Micro-blogging service Twitter and social networking site Facebook have been severely disrupted by hackers.

Twitter was taken offline for more than two hours whilst Facebook's service was "degraded", according to the firms.

The popular sites were subject to so-called denial-of-service attacks on Thursday, the companies believe.

Denial-of-service (DOS) attacks take various forms but often involve a company's servers being flooded with data in an effort to disable them.

"Attacks such as this are malicious efforts orchestrated to disrupt and make unavailable services such as online banks, credit card payment gateways, and in this case, Twitter for intended customers or users," said Twitter co-founder Biz Stone on the company's blog.

The service was restored shortly after the blog post, but the companies have had to continue to fend off the attack.

Facebook said its service was reduced but not taken offline.

"No user data was at risk and we have restored full access to the site for most users," spokeswoman Brandee Barker told the AFP news agency.

"We're continuing to monitor the situation to ensure that users have the fast and reliable experience they've come to expect from Facebook."

Subject: Re: Hackers hit Twitter and Facebook

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/06/09 at 1:45 pm

Facebook is running normal again.  Don't know about Twitter.  One report said a hacker from France claimed responsibility.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/09 at 1:47 pm

I follow one particalur Twitter, and that page is certainly down.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/06/09 at 9:02 pm

I wondered why I had problems getting on Facebook today.

Written By: whistledog on 08/06/09 at 9:13 pm

Popular DJ deadmau5 mentioned on his Facebook that he got hacked

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/09 at 2:11 am

Facebook is running normal again.  Don't know about Twitter.  One report said a hacker from France claimed responsibility.
Both are up and running now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/09 at 4:29 am

Google was hit too, but I did not noticed it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/09 at 12:01 pm

Let's be glad they are not trying to mess with inthe00s.com.

Or maybe it is the hackers who should be glad.  If they attempted to mess with our motley crew, I suspect we would all open up a fresh whole case of whoop-ass on them.  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/07/09 at 1:51 pm

I pity da fool, who messes with in the 00's.com!

;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/07/09 at 2:16 pm

Should inthe00s.com have a twitter page?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/07/09 at 3:04 pm

Let's be glad they are not trying to mess with inthe00s.com.

Or maybe it is the hackers who should be glad.  If they attempted to mess with our motley crew, I suspect we would all open up a fresh whole case of whoop-ass on them.   ;D

That would require organization but we'll try anything once.  What does whoop-ass entail????  Curiosity is killing me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/09 at 2:41 am

A blogger who was targeted in a co-ordinated attack against websites such as Facebook and Twitter has told the BBC he blames Russia for the assault.

Check for new replies or respond here...