inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What trends do you hope or see appearing or re-appearing in this coming decade

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/13/09 at 10:16 pm

So, yeah

What trends (fashion, music, movies, technology etc) appearing in this coming decade?

What trends from past decades do you think or hope will re-appear? I personally hope bell-bottoms for men re-appears, along with slacks for men. I can see afros for black men re-appearing, as I noted quite a few black guys of my graduating class sported them. Mustaches for men area on the rise again. So a lot of the '70s trends are re-appearing within the last year or so, might continue into '10. I think Rap will continue to dominate but by mid decade (I hope) something else will come along.

Do you think we'll reach the laid back propserity of the '90s within the next decade, or is the shadow of this decade's tragedies too large to shake off in a decade? I feel we might get some semblance of peace and prosperity in the coming decade, if we don't have a civil war lol. I think of it this way: The generally peaceful, party like atmosphere of the '80s and the cool calm of the '90s followed the crazy, violent, dark and turbulent era of the late 60s and 70s.

Subject: Re: What trends do you hope or see appearing or re-appearing in this coming decade

Written By: 80sfan on 08/13/09 at 11:53 pm

I hope the whole modern hip-hop culture goes away, I don't care for it much (but I love hip hop from 1986-1995).

I think that rap will fade by 2015 like you said.

I also liked how you explained how decades have different moods. The 50's were so calm that the 60's and 70's were bound to be wild and turbulent! And the 80's and 90's were cool and laid back.

I think that the 2010's will be very turbulent because it will be a transition decade into the 2020's, when things will look very high tech!

Subject: Re: What trends do you hope or see appearing or re-appearing in this coming decade

Written By: Fairee07 on 08/14/09 at 5:14 pm

I think the 90s are starting to reappear because I've been seeing a lot of plaid in stores, which is making me feel old because I remember that being the style when I was in highschool.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/14/09 at 5:47 pm

Normal jeans and oxford shirts are coming back so I'm a happy camper. :)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/15/09 at 5:38 am

Normal jeans and oxford shirts are coming back so I'm a happy camper. :)

I truly want to see men in long pants again.

Written By: 34423 on 08/15/09 at 1:00 pm

I was just at the mall last weekend and plaid shirts are definitely everywhere, and I'm sure I'll see a lot of them at college this fall as well

Written By: Dagwood on 08/15/09 at 1:46 pm

I was school shopping this week with my daughter and saw a purple and pink checked shirt with the cinched waist.  So eighties.  Then there were tons of leggings too.  Also the ripped jeans made popular by Joe Elliot, it was great.  I had to tease her.  She laughs at my yearbook but now those styles are coming back.  She was not impressed when I pointed that out. ;D

Written By: 90steen on 08/15/09 at 11:52 pm

I think the 90s are starting to reappear because I've been seeing a lot of plaid in stores, which is making me feel old because I remember that being the style when I was in highschool.

I agree. ever check out Pacific Sunwear and American Eagle?

Flannel and plaid came back.

My junior year in high school I was decked out in plaid, hahaha. Sophomore year was the polo phase...

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/18/09 at 2:08 pm

I also hope to see a death in Reality Shows and a revival of Retro Television Shows in the next decade.

The 00's was nothing but sheesh, I couldn't even get away from my troubles much with sheesh on TV. 8-P

Written By: Medemia on 08/19/09 at 4:44 pm

Mutton Chops.  Mutton Chops will reappear.

Facial hair ftw!

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/19/09 at 5:11 pm

Spats

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:8zLjqqZoGyWs1M:http://www.fogeygentleman.co

Written By: LITOO on 08/19/09 at 6:03 pm

I think the 80's fashions are going to stay popular throughout the decade...
The 70's are pretty much through now with the demise of flare jeans/bell bottoms and the
return of skinny jeans. I've also noticed synthesizers are getting pretty popular in today's
new music.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/19/09 at 7:16 pm

I agree. ever check out Pacific Sunwear and American Eagle?

Flannel and plaid came back.

My junior year in high school I was decked out in plaid, hahaha. Sophomore year was the polo phase...

Me too man, lol - I still actually wear plaid shirts quite a bit, but not flannel since the late 90s probably. I actually don't think plaid ever totally went away (just like the t shirt sneakers and jeans look, some things kinda stick around permanently), but I'm seeing alot more of those now. It's a little different than the original styles of, say 1993.. a little more streamlined and "neater" looking, but pretty close.

I think the 80's fashions are going to stay popular throughout the decade...
The 70's are pretty much through now with the demise of flare jeans/bell bottoms and the
return of skinny jeans. I've also noticed synthesizers are getting pretty popular in today's
new music.

I agree - I think music is about as computerized and synthesized now as it's been in a long time (even if not all of it is good, lol). I definitely could see the '80s revival going on for several more years, although probably more for the music. I'm a huge Katy Perry fan, and I think it kinda started with her... she's like a new Pat Benatar. Most of this decade was too urban for that slick synthy sound to really make a comeback, which is probably why it took till now. I think it'll share time with the '90s which will be more what the fashions will resemble, like what people were saying about plaid shirts getting popular again.

I also think hip hop's influence will go away a bit (it's too big to completely disappear), or at least evolve into something more polished and catchy.. I hope at least.

Written By: LITOO on 08/19/09 at 8:54 pm

Me too man, lol - I still actually wear plaid shirts quite a bit, but not flannel since the late 90s probably. I actually don't think plaid ever totally went away (just like the t shirt sneakers and jeans look, some things kinda stick around permanently), but I'm seeing alot more of those now. It's a little different than the original styles of, say 1993.. a little more streamlined and "neater" looking, but pretty close.

I agree - I think music is about as computerized and synthesized now as it's been in a long time (even if not all of it is good, lol). I definitely could see the '80s revival going on for several more years, although probably more for the music. I'm a huge Katy Perry fan, and I think it kinda started with her... she's like a new Pat Benatar. Most of this decade was too urban for that slick synthy sound to really make a comeback, which is probably why it took till now. I think it'll share time with the '90s which will be more what the fashions will resemble, like what people were saying about plaid shirts getting popular again.

I also think hip hop's influence will go away a bit (it's too big to completely disappear), or at least evolve into something more polished and catchy.. I hope at least.

Yeah, but plaid is pretty much the only 90's comeback I've seen.
and mostly what I've seen is plaid on 80's styled clothing, so its like a mixture. :)
and the music, I think its still a bit too urban, but if you listen to Jordin Spark's cover of SOS,
its a pretty good cover and could actually come from that decade with some tweaks.

Written By: 90steen on 08/19/09 at 9:14 pm

I've noticed that dance music made a comeback, starting with Lady GaGa. Althoguh it's sort of rap with techno beats.

I really want it to come back and the rap lyrics and melody to fade away. I wouldn't mind raves coming back considering they were the highlight of my life from 1995-2003. Although I don't think I'd be participating in a rave anymore considering I'm too old now.

As far as fashion, I already mentioned how I like the 90's plaid and flannel coming back. But I hope the rest of it stays in the past.

Written By: 435wtr on 08/21/09 at 10:08 pm

The change in music was so sudden too, the dancey music started becoming incredibly mainstream in late 08, when just earlier that year they're was barely any of it

Written By: sonikuu on 08/22/09 at 2:50 pm

The change in music was so sudden too, the dancey music started becoming incredibly mainstream in late 08, when just earlier that year they're was barely any of it

I would say that Dance music first started to become mainstream again in 2006.  That was when singers like Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado took on a Dance-Pop style to enormous mainstream success.  This trend continued throughout much of 2007 with dancey songs like Maroon 5's "Makes Me Wonder" and Timbaland's "The Way I Are", though the trend seemed to be pretty much over towards the end of the year.  First half of 2008 saw a regression back towards the Hip-Hop and R&B trend and then Dance-style music started to get popular again the second half of the year.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/24/09 at 8:48 am

Polyester Leisure Suits
Disco
Fins on cars
Fidgets  http://www.gameparts.net/fidget_sensory_toy.htm

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/24/09 at 3:06 pm

Polyester Leisure Suits
Disco
Fins on cars
Fidgets  http://www.gameparts.net/fidget_sensory_toy.htm

How about..... nyet.

::)  ;D

Written By: 435wtr on 08/24/09 at 6:13 pm

I would say that Dance music first started to become mainstream again in 2006.  That was when singers like Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado took on a Dance-Pop style to enormous mainstream success.  This trend continued throughout much of 2007 with dancey songs like Maroon 5's "Makes Me Wonder" and Timbaland's "The Way I Are", though the trend seemed to be pretty much over towards the end of the year.  First half of 2008 saw a regression back towards the Hip-Hop and R&B trend and then Dance-style music started to get popular again the second half of the year.

I didn't really think back that far but that makes sense, though I do think the dance music is starting to get a little too repetitive

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/24/09 at 6:59 pm

I am glad that flannel shirts are coming back, since I have like 3 of them. I also hope that good alternative rock with the simple and original sound (such as Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots) comes back. Another trend I like to see (on girls) is the Rachel from "Friends" look. That style is classy and sexy.

Written By: Fairee07 on 08/24/09 at 9:52 pm

I am glad that flannel shirts are coming back, since I have like 3 of them. I also hope that good alternative rock with the simple and original sound (such as Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots) comes back. Another trend I like to see (on girls) is the Rachel from "Friends" look. That style is classy and sexy.

I like the grunge look yet at the same time it just makes me feel so old to see retro fads from the clothes I had or saw when I was in highschool.

Shouldn't they stick to the 25-year rule and have everyone currently just wearing hot pink, heavy eye make-up and skinny jeans?

Written By: 90steen on 08/24/09 at 10:21 pm

I like the grunge look yet at the same time it just makes me feel so old to see retro fads from the clothes I had or saw when I was in highschool.

Shouldn't they stick to the 25-year rule and have everyone currently just wearing hot pink, heavy eye make-up and skinny jeans?

I agree, it did make me happy seeing flannel shirts that I would've worn 15 years ago advertised, but I'm not even 30 yet!

Written By: KidsInAmerica on 08/25/09 at 6:13 pm

Late 70s/early 80s trends (fashion-wise) and early 80s (1980-1983) music-wise.I'd rather listen to Kim Wilde - Kids In America from 1981 than to the crappy late 80s over-produced music like SAW (e.g. Kylie Minogue circa 1988).  :) I prefer the early 80s New wave to late 80s music (be it dance or hair metal). I hope that the 2010s will be like 1979-1981.

Written By: Davester on 08/25/09 at 8:23 pm

Late 70s/early 80s trends (fashion-wise) and early 80s (1980-1983)

Are you sure..?

That Early ’80s Look - http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/06/19/fashion/0619-CODES_index.html

spandex tank top, $78 - checkered denim jeans, $219 - straw hat, $565 - Reebok sneakers, $75

And to think you could buy that stuff at K-Mart for a little more than a twenty spot.  But not me.  Nobody ever saw me at a K-Mart... ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/25/09 at 10:16 pm

Psssst..... You buy that stuff at a local thrift store, for cheap!

;D

Written By: Davester on 08/25/09 at 11:29 pm

Psssst..... You buy that stuff at a local thrift store, for cheap!

;D

What stuff..?

Written By: 435wtr on 08/26/09 at 10:28 pm

Late 70s/early 80s trends (fashion-wise) and early 80s (1980-1983) music-wise.I'd rather listen to Kim Wilde - Kids In America from 1981 than to the crappy late 80s over-produced music like SAW (e.g. Kylie Minogue circa 1988).  :) I prefer the early 80s New wave to late 80s music (be it dance or hair metal). I hope that the 2010s will be like 1979-1981.
I was born in the early 90s, but from what I've seen the 70s seemed like a better time for music than the 80s

Written By: KidsInAmerica on 08/29/09 at 3:23 am

Well, I think early 80s new wave is better than late 80s SAW music (Kylie Minogue, Rick Astley etc.)

http://www.ultra-pop.org/images/band/wilde.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/29/09 at 8:47 am

What stuff..?

spandex tank top, $78 - checkered denim jeans, $219 - straw hat, $565 - Reebok sneakers, $75

Written By: Mushroom on 08/30/09 at 1:54 am

Looking like a throwback to previous decades....  Priceless.

8)

Written By: tv on 08/30/09 at 12:19 pm

Don't forget about Cascada's hit in early 2006 when their single "Everytime We Touch" hit the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Written By: Kyle 230 on 12/01/09 at 2:59 pm

Trance music...very good music to relax to and great for the mind and the soul.

A more '40s-'50s style of clothing mixed with a bit of '80s and early '90s I can see.  We are done with this '60s-'70s throwback junk.

Written By: Boom! on 12/01/09 at 5:19 pm

Trance music...very good music to relax to and great for the mind and the soul.

A more '40s-'50s style of clothing mixed with a bit of '80s and early '90s I can see.  We are done with this '60s-'70s throwback junk.

I agree. Its definately 40's, some 50's, mostly 80's, and quite a lot of 90's stuff popular at the moment.
I think the 80's styled clothing is gonna stay for a while considering its just now starting to come back out.
Sure, its been coming back every year this decade, but never as much as it has this year. You gotta agree with me
on that. Look, the 70's has been the main thing in fashion since what? The mid-late nineties? :P I also think the music (pop, generally) is gonna start sounding more synth-heavy like it has been and hopefully soon it'll have little to no rap influences in it at all.

Written By: Kyle 230 on 12/01/09 at 7:49 pm

I agree. Its definately 40's, some 50's, mostly 80's, and quite a lot of 90's stuff popular at the moment.
I think the 80's styled clothing is gonna stay for a while considering its just now starting to come back out.
Sure, its been coming back every year this decade, but never as much as it has this year. You gotta agree with me
on that. Look, the 70's has been the main thing in fashion since what? The mid-late nineties? :P I also think the music (pop, generally) is gonna start sounding more synth-heavy like it has been and hopefully soon it'll have little to no rap influences in it at all.

I can see a comeback to rich vocal harmonies and more blended chord progressions and heavy use of the pad synths like they use in trance music.  The lyrics will start  getting a spiritual feel to it and not as club, rap influenced.  The 2000s had a very choppy sound to music and it was focused a lot on drum and bass, and I mean BASS like rattles windows to get it a "club" pimpin feel.

Check for new replies or respond here...