inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disney buys Marvel comics

Written By: woops on 08/31/09 at 2:38 pm

Disney buys Marvel comics

Wonder what would happen to the movies, which are produced from Universal and Fox?

Though Disney XD airs reruns of old Marvel cartoons... Marvel Channel maybe?...great for the fans, but what about Vault Disney  :-\\

Subject: Re: Disney buys Marvel comics

Written By: Davester on 08/31/09 at 11:33 pm

"But Marvel still holds deals with Paramount, Sony and Fox for future movies, including several more Spider-Man films. Marvel chairman Morton Handel estimated that the company has about five more films with Paramount and intends to honor the current contracts it has with other movie studios, even if the Disney deal is inked before the contracts expire.

Marvel pays Paramount, the comic book company's primary movie distributor, between $20 million and $60 million per movie in distribution fees, according to Barton Crockett, analyst at Lazard Capital Markets.

Crockett said Disney would likely become the sole distributor of Marvel's movies in the future, giving it a "full plate" of movie releases, including Pixar, Marvel and its own films."

- By David Goldman, CNNMoney.com

Interesting.  Hannah Montana could guest star in some issues of X-Men...

To add:  Personally I could care less about the movies.  As to the success of "Disney's Marvel", the proof will be in the pudding (the pages of the print comics).  Maybe it ain't where the big money is, but it's where the rubber hits the road in the comics biz...

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/09 at 12:05 am

This horrifies me....

but on the brightside you won me some brownie points in my Children's film class. I was looking at the frontpage earlier and saw this topic. I didn't have tiime to come in and check it but when my prof asked if anyone heard the latest about Disney I remembered this topic and was the only one with the answer!  8)

Thanks!!!!! O0

Written By: woops on 09/01/09 at 9:25 am

Disney also owns Touchtone pictures and ABC television, which many films and tv shows aren't exactly "family friendly".

Personally, I think the comics would be untouched  like  DC, which is owned by Warner Bros. for a few decades.  Though for their animated movies and tv shows, I don't know and considering that Disney tends to be too PC... (maybe live action shows for other networks would be better since most people tend to look at animation as "kiddie fodder")

Honestly, Disney have been in a cesspool for over a decade and the only good films they've done were with Pixar, IMHO.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/01/09 at 9:33 am

Disney bought The Muppets and ruin it.  Muppets Tonight had none of the "Henson magic".  I fear what they'll do to Marvel.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/01/09 at 4:07 pm

You need not to fear, Marvel will still be Marvel.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/01/09 at 5:33 pm

I just hope Spider-Man can join troops with Donald Duck as the Duck Avenger....

http://www.flashfumetto.it/files/immagini/paperinik.jpg

Written By: Mushroom on 09/02/09 at 10:16 am

I wonder if this means Disney will be making Howard The Duck II?

;D

Like most comic companies, Marvel is tied in with several companies already.  And it is going to take a long time for those previous contracts to run down.

As is stated, Paramount, Sony, and Fox own the movie rights for some of the characters.  So no Disney X-Men, SpiderMan, Doctor Strange, Ghost Rider, Namor, Fantastic Four, Iron Man movies for them for a while.  Or movies based on any characters that are members of The Avengers.  But some of their lesser known characters could appear in Disney movies.  So what is left to them are characters like Morbius (actually a long-time favorite of mine), Paladin, or others that are nowhere near as well known.

And of course, do not expect any Marvel rides at Disney parks.  Those rights are woned by Universal.

If you ask me, Disney bought the comic for to much money, with to many contracted comittments.  It will be years before they see any real profits from them.  And if they are smart, they will leave the comic side alone.  With the exception of maybe tying them in with their own comic division for occasional "Special Issues" (Howard The Duck meets Donald Duck?  What If... Mickey Mouse was bit by a radioactive spider?).

Written By: woops on 09/02/09 at 10:28 am

What If... Mickey Mouse was bit by a radioactive spider?).

There was already a Spiderman parody in Walt Disney Comics several years ago.

"Spidermouse"

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/09 at 9:09 pm

I hope this means The Punisher will shoot Hannah Montana in the vocal chords :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/09/09 at 12:37 am

Obligatory reading: Worth 1000's Photoshop contest: Disney vs. Marvel merger.

Written By: philbo on 09/09/09 at 10:07 am

Obligatory reading: Worth 1000's Photoshop contest: Disney vs. Marvel merger.

b3ta has had the same idea, too

Check for new replies or respond here...