inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 16 Year Old Lottery Winner-6 years later

Written By: danootaandme on 09/01/09 at 7:56 am

She won 3 million at the age of 16, and they let her have charge of it. What were they thinking?  Over here in the US 16 years olds can't play the lottery, you have to be at least 18, but on top of that her parents had to be ignorant idiots, thought only of the house she bought them, not their daughter.  It should have gone from her hands to a trust account.  Almost half a million up her boyfriends nose, breast implants and shopping sprees.  Six years, two kids, and $2,968,000 later hopefully she is smart enough to spend some of it on education.  Sad.

www.news.aol.com/article/teenage-lottery-winner-callie-rogers/648281?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fteenage-lottery-winner-callie-rogers%2F648281

Subject: Re: 16 Year Old Lottery Winner-6 years later

Written By: 80sfan on 09/01/09 at 8:04 am

I guess youth isn't everything.  ::)

Written By: gibbo on 09/01/09 at 8:28 am

Winning the lottery didn't ruin her life. The choices she made after winning the lottery ruined her life. She still isn't taking responsibility for her mistakes. People already know that cocaine is an evil drug etc etc....but they indulge themselves with it anyway.

Stupid, stupid girl....chances to set yourself up for life don't come along every day!  I agree that her parents should have taken charge at the time of the win ...but whose to say that they aren't exactly the same in mentality! :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/09 at 11:16 am

If I won $3 million at this point, I'd pay off my debts, buy a nice little house, and put the rest in the bank.  I'd invest very, very carefully.

Now, if I'd won $3 million when I was 16....

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/bravo.gif

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/09 at 11:32 am

why is it the people who can't appreciate it properly are the ones who always win-  ::)

that's like that guy who won hundreds of millions would carry thousands of dollars on him at time and was surprised that his house was broken into multiple times and that he also got it stolen from his trunk...

this stuff would never happen to me.... because seriously- even if I were addicted to cocaine I can't imaging spending half a million on it!  :o

Written By: ninny on 09/01/09 at 12:05 pm

Blowing money comes easy..it is keeping the money that is hard especially if your not use to it. In 206 Tim won a million on a scratch off, we are suppose to get payments for 20 years, but we went to a consolidated place and got 10 years of payments..at their price, not what we would of got if we waited every year.Of that money we have zilch,nothing, nada left, some went to good Timmy's education, the house we live in, most of it was blown..So now we have to wait till 2016 to get the rest unless we want to get the money for less than half it is worth

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/09 at 12:56 pm

Blowing money comes easy..it is keeping the money that is hard especially if your not use to it. In 206 Tim won a million on a scratch off, we are suppose to get payments for 20 years, but we went to a consolidated place and got 10 years of payments..at their price, not what we would of got if we waited every year.Of that money we have zilch,nothing, nada left, some went to good Timmy's education, the house we live in, most of it was blown..So now we have to wait till 2016 to get the rest unless we want to get the money for less than half it is worth

congrats on the win. I can undersand how the money goes quickly. In the grand scheme of things a milln isn't that much. I could spend it in hart beat.  But I'd have stuff to show for it. A modest house, new car and the baddet ass entertainment center/system you've ever seen.  8)

Written By: ninny on 09/01/09 at 1:03 pm

congrats on the win. I can undersand how the money goes quickly. In the grand scheme of things a milln isn't that much. I could spend it in hart beat.  But I'd have stuff to show for it. A modest house, new car and the baddet ass entertainment center/system you've ever seen.  8)

Thanks let's hope the last 9 years we put to better use.maybe some for the grandson to blow..umm I mean spend.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/01/09 at 3:16 pm

PEOPLE! PEOPLE!  She was sixteen years old!  Does anyone here remember 16?  What do you think you would have done with the money?  I don't fault her, she should never have been trusted with that kind of money. 

Written By: ninny on 09/01/09 at 3:50 pm

PEOPLE! PEOPLE!  She was sixteen years old!  Does anyone here remember 16?  What do you think you would have done with the money?  I don't fault her, she should never have been trusted with that kind of money. 

So true..heck Tim was 40 and I was 46 when we got the money and we couldn't handle it.

Written By: gibbo on 09/01/09 at 4:19 pm

Agreed...and I can only guess as to what I might have done with that money ....at that age. :-\\  I do know my parents would have acted to steer me in the right path though!  :)

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/09 at 6:18 pm

PEOPLE! PEOPLE!  She was sixteen years old!  Does anyone here remember 16?  What do you think you would have done with the money?  I don't fault her, she should never have been trusted with that kind of money.  

16.... 1984.... besides the fact that my mom would have ordered me to save most of it?

Okay let's pretend that I had negligent parents too-  ;)

I would have bought a BMW convertible... and practically every toy at toys R us... I was still heavily into toys then.... who are we kidding? I still am.  And I would have gotten a computer, and all thesoftware available.... we were still playing atari... I would have done that.  

and then taken my friends to Disneyland to PPPPAAAAARRRRRTTTTTYYYYYYY

but still no cocaine.   Alcohol? Hellz yeah- but drugs? no way.  Did I mention I would have purchased every VHS tape I could and I would've bought myself a bigger TV for my bedroom and for our living room...

oddly it would not occur to me to buy my parents a house or pay off their mortgage but if they asked for help I would.  My dad was driving a nice car in 86 and my mom had a company car so they were set.

I would, however, send them on trip somewhere.... and um... throw a party in their absence!  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/09 at 9:27 pm

I woulda paid Depeche Mode to let me go on tour with them. 

I can see Daniel Miller saying, "Buggar off!  You can't play or sing for sh*t."  And I'd say,
"So?  Neither can any of those wankers!"  And he'd say, "OK, you're on, but you still can't do a solo for Blasphemous Rumours!'

:D

Check for new replies or respond here...