inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Alternative coming back?

Written By: joeman on 09/01/09 at 1:02 pm

Alice in Chains had released two new singles, which is badass btw, and a lot of older bands are coming back.  Also, a lot of new bands are playing the 90's alternative sound such as King of Leon, which kind of sounds like Sister Hazel.  Is Alternative rock coming back, or is it just a coincidence?

I hope so myself, as I grew up with alternative rock for the most part of my life.

Subject: Re: Is Alternative coming back?

Written By: Red Ant on 09/01/09 at 2:16 pm

Faith No More is back together as well, doing a world tour.

I've heard the new AiC songs - I can't wait for the new CD.

Ant

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/01/09 at 4:06 pm

Actually, we are still in the throws of mid 80's, comng back, but soon, Grunge will be back.

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/09 at 6:32 pm

Alternative never really went away.  In America, it just got overshadowed by rap, hip hop slow jamz and that Disney garbage that preschoolers listen to.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/01/09 at 7:25 pm

Did it ever leave?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 09/01/09 at 8:16 pm

No.  ;D

Written By: Davester on 09/02/09 at 5:40 am

Trouble with alt rock is that it went mainstream, which sent everybody scrambling for an alternative to alternative...

What you end-up with is a studio creation cranking-out something similar to grunge (Stone Temple Pilots) and light alt rock you and your girlfriend can listen to while making out (Gin Blossoms)...

I take issue with the phrase "alternative coming back".  It's alternative - not readily noticable.  You have to look hard for it, and it dies when exposed to sunlight... :)

Written By: midnite on 09/03/09 at 12:31 pm

Trouble with alt rock is that it went mainstream, which sent everybody scrambling for an alternative to alternative...

What you end-up with is a studio creation cranking-out something similar to grunge (Stone Temple Pilots) and light alt rock you and your girlfriend can listen to while making out (Gin Blossoms)...

I take issue with the phrase "alternative coming back".  It's alternative - not readily noticable.  You have to look hard for it, and it dies when exposed to sunlight... :)

Davester, I agree. Alternatives to mainstream always exist.  However, when "alternative" becomes "mainstream" as in the 90s, it is no longer alternative. I think at that point fiddle and yukele music was alternative because Smashing Pumpkins was mainstream. 

I think most people agree that the trend of the last 10 years of Emo-ish and glam rap is sending people towards alternatives.  Lets face it - mainstream glam rap and emo-ish music can be a little mindless.  Many people are looking for intricate songwriting that some of the alternative groups (not mainstream) can provide.

I am still awaiting the revival of the "singer-songwriter" like we saw in the 70s.  In the 70s, there were lots of singer-songwriters who crafted emotional lyrics with great music.  It seems like a few arise every now and then like John Mayer and such.

Written By: joeman on 09/22/09 at 5:16 pm

Apparently Creed has made a new single, along with Godsmack.

It looks like all the bands, early or late 90's, are reuniting. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/22/09 at 5:45 pm

What's the status of Alternative Emo ? ???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/22/09 at 6:31 pm

It actually exsited?

:o

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/09 at 9:52 pm

Hopefully either dead or non existant lol

Check for new replies or respond here...