inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ellen DeGeneres to replace Paula Abdul as judge on American Idol

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/10/09 at 2:01 pm

http://tv.yahoo.com/american-idol/show/34934/news/tv.accesshollywood.com/ellen-degeneres-named-new-american-idol-judge-20090909

Ellen DeGeneres is the new full-time judge on "American Idol."

The TV talk show host announced the news during a taping of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on Wednesday that she is the new "Idol" judge, filling a seat left vacant by Paula Abdul, who chose not to return to the show last month.

"I have a big announcement to make. No one knows this. I just finally got the OK ... just moments ago to announce this to you today...I am going to be the new judge on 'American Idol,'" Ellen told her audience on Wednesday afternoon, for her show which will air on Thursday.

Although Ellen is known for being one of the funniest ladies on television, the news was no joke, as the announcement was confirmed to Access Hollywood by a rep for FOX.

"I could not be more excited to have Ellen join the 'American Idol' family," Simon Fuller, the show's creator and executive producer, said in a statement issued to Access Hollywood. "Ellen has been a fan of the show for many years, and her love of music and understanding of the American public will bring a unique human touch to our judging panel. I can't wait for this next season to begin."

So, what you do you guys think of this? I am actually really excited. I haven't really watched American Idol religiously in quite awhile, but I feel that Elllen will bring a freshness to the show. She is very funny, and I think she will make a really good addition to the other judges. This will probably get people watching it again too.

Subject: Re: Ellen DeGeneres to replace Paula Abdul as judge on American Idol

Written By: statsqueen on 09/10/09 at 2:20 pm

My initial reaction was "Huh?"  I'm not an AI fan, so it really doesn't matter to me.  I was just more than a little surprise that she was chosen.  I guess I was under the impression that the reason they brought in that other female was to replace Paula with her and keep the 3 judge format.  Not the first time I've been wrong. :)

I hope she works out.

Written By: Midas on 09/10/09 at 2:35 pm

DeGeneres will bring the entertainment factor to the show, that's for sure.  I wouldn't be sad if they got rid of Kara D.  :P

Dunno if I'll watch this season though.  Did Kris Allen fall into a hole?  ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/10/09 at 3:32 pm

You have got to be kidding!!!  :o

I can't stand Ellen DeGeneres!  8-P  

I love watching American Idol...but if they bring her to the show, that'll probably end it all for me!

I like Simon a lot as a judge...Randy is fine and I think Kara is okay...but why can't they just leave it with the three of them?  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/10/09 at 3:57 pm

Ellen is definitely party material...  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/09 at 5:00 pm

Ellen is better than that other judge that was supposed to replace Paula on American Idol. She was boring as hell!

Oh, and I stopped watching Idol in 2007.

I didn't care about anyone during the 2008 and 2009 season. They were all boring as hell!

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/09 at 5:41 pm

Ellen dances on her show, so that qualifies her to be a judge of vocal talents?

That's like getting Bobby Knight to teach an anger management class, or Gary Glitter judging a childrens talent show

Written By: Dagwood on 09/10/09 at 7:19 pm

I think Ellen is going to be there to represent the viewer who don't have the musical background and are going on if they like what the hear.  I think she will make a good addition.

I would love to see Kara gone, too.

Written By: Samwise on 09/11/09 at 7:25 am

I don't watch American Idol, and while I certainly like Ellen as a person, I don't find her particularly funny. I guess I'm happy for her. :::shrug::: whistledog makes a good point. Originally, the judges panel consisted of a music industry executive, a producer, and a singer - which represented a pretty realistic group of people you'd want to impress if you were trying to make it in the music business. Now it'll be a music industry executive, a producer, and a comedian. That seems kind of random, but it's not like AI was ever about good music.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/11/09 at 9:44 am

They shoulda brought Fantasia on as the new judge.

http://imeanwhat.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/0207_fantasia_barrino_wi.jpg

Written By: ninny on 09/12/09 at 6:41 am

I'm not too sure about this..maybe as a guest judge on So You Think You Can Dance...but a full time judge for AI, at least she will have more personality to bring to the show. Will have to wait and see if she can recognize talent when she hears it.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/12/09 at 1:39 pm

I think Ellen will be just what Simon needs.  She is so quick with the comeback he won't know he has been dissed until he goes home and watches the replay.  I have never watched Idol, but I just might turn it on.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/12/09 at 5:49 pm

They shoulda brought Fantasia on as the new judge.

http://imeanwhat.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/0207_fantasia_barrino_wi.jpg

Man, is she ever scary looking.  I never really found her all that attractive from the get go, but holy, she looks like a man in that photo :o

Written By: gibbo on 09/16/09 at 3:54 pm

Man, is she ever scary looking.  I never really found her all that attractive from the get go, but holy, she looks like a man in that photo :o

Oooo...'man boobs'.  ;)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/16/09 at 9:28 pm

I personally love Ellen, and think she'll be much more coherent than Paula ever was.  (Don't get me wrong, I actually really like Paula, and was upset to hear she was leaving). . .but I think Ellen will be a great replacement, and I will have to watch the show to see what kind of comments she comes up with.

Check for new replies or respond here...