inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are your final thoughts about this decade?

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 09/20/09 at 7:18 pm

I used to think this decade had no identity, and wasn't different enough from the late 90's. I've thought a lot in the last week, and realized that in a lot of ways, this is way different than the late 90's, and will look even more so in the following years. Even though 1999 feels like 5 years ago, if you look back, a lot has changed.

With the exception of women's hairstyles, and mainstream music, this decade is way different than the late 90's. I'm not saying women's hairstyles, and mainstream music are exactly the same. What I mean, is that those things have evolved/changed the least.

I think politics, technology, TV, guy's hairstyles, clothes for guys and women, and movies are way different than the late 90's.

Subject: Re: What are your final thoughts about this decade?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/20/09 at 10:53 pm

I am just happy, that it's almost over.

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/09 at 10:55 pm

today's mainstream music = (almost) total suckage

Written By: 80sfan on 09/21/09 at 8:51 am

I hope next decade's pop culture is a lot better than this piece of crap decade that is ending in about 3 months!  :-X

I doubt music will get better next year. I think it won't get better until 2015. All the horrible music that is still around in 2009 will have to take a few years to fade.

Written By: gibbo on 09/21/09 at 6:24 pm

I hope next decade's pop culture is a lot better than this piece of crap decade that is ending in about 3 months!   :-X

I doubt music will get better next year. I think it won't get better until 2015. All the horrible music that is still around in 2009 will have to take a few years to fade.

Yes....like it or not ...today's music will be played on 'Classic Rock' stations in twenty years time with the young people of today reminiscing about all those great times when they were younger. It's not their fault...they make do with what they were given.... :-\\

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/21/09 at 7:18 pm

I'm really glad this decade is almost over, too.  Here's hoping that the next decade will be better. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/21/09 at 9:42 pm

today's mainstream music = (almost) total suckage

I don't even bother listening to the radio anymore.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/22/09 at 8:11 am

I'll let you know the evening of December 31.

Written By: Troy Jeffries on 09/22/09 at 2:16 pm

Do you love or hate the decade? It's only 3 and a half months to the beginning of the 2010s. As far as I'm concerned, I hate 2005-2009. I liked only the first part of the 2000s, like 2000-2004. I detest everything from 2005-2009 - movies, TV shows like Prison Break, Hanna Montana, High School Musical etc. I detest late 00s music like Lady GaGa and The Jonas Brothers. I'd listen to music from back then anyday. I also prefer the early 00s car. All cars since 2005 look the same. I will remember only the early 00s. By the way I was born in 1988, so I will try to forget and ignore my late teens and early 20s (ages 17-21 or 2005-2009). I'm only hoping that the 201s won't be like that and my life wont suck like it sucks since 2005. I wish 2005 never came and we were 2003, but time flies. Anyway, I will change my hobbies in 2010 so my life will change for the better.

Written By: 435wtr on 09/22/09 at 5:26 pm

I was born in '90, so this decade was my teenage years, the music in my opinion started to go downhill in 2007, and was at its peak in 2004/2005, but other than music, my life has been good these past ten years

Written By: 90steen on 09/22/09 at 9:03 pm

This decade started out good, IMO. I think it made a vast decline around mid 2003 and never picked up. Some say this decade hasn't made a big change from the late 90's too much, while 2000-2002 feels like a completely different era to me.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/23/09 at 2:13 am

Oh things have changed a lot. The year 2000 seems long ago to me now and a different time, a time before we were "connected" 24/7 seemingly like we are now. The cell phones today are like as powerful as a desktop PC of 2000. The music has gone from teen pop, alt pop, country pop back in 2000 to a sort of flashy electro urban sound here in 2009. Overall it was a pretty disappointing decade, and we've had wars and recessions. In 2000 things were seemingly so good and we were riding high into the new millennium, now the deficit's in the trillions, we're still at war, the economy still sucks, the nation seems more divided than ever, it's pretty sad. The first half of this decade I do miss it now, when somethings gone I usually miss it, and I realize it's gone now.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/23/09 at 1:08 pm

2000's was Suck City!

I hated this decade more than any other decade!

Written By: tv on 09/24/09 at 11:28 am

Do you love or hate the decade? It's only 3 and a half months to the beginning of the 2010s. As far as I'm concerned, I hate 2005-2009. I liked only the first part of the 2000s, like 2000-2004. I detest everything from 2005-2009 - movies, TV shows like Prison Break, Hanna Montana, High School Musical etc. I detest late 00s music like Lady GaGa and The Jonas Brothers. I'd listen to music from back then anyday. I also prefer the early 00s car. All cars since 2005 look the same. I will remember only the early 00s. By the way I was born in 1988, so I will try to forget and ignore my late teens and early 20s (ages 17-21 or 2005-2009). I'm only hoping that the 201s won't be like that and my life wont suck like it sucks since 2005. I wish 2005 never came and we were 2003, but time flies. Anyway, I will change my hobbies in 2010 so my life will change for the better.
Ah cars look the same every 5 years I think. Cars pretty much looked the same from 1998-2001. Than different from 2002-2006 than the same from 2007+.

As for my thougts on the decade I thought music was still ok from 2001-early 2007. Than about March 2007 that Ringtone Rap and autotone stuff became popular and music went completely downhill. At least in 2009 EMO died and glam rap is pretty much dead except for like Lil Wayne. The Generation Zers like that teen-pop like Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, and Demi Lovato. The late Generation Xers and early Generation Yers had their teen idols too.

TV: there were some good shows this decade but the reality TV sucked.

Sports were good albiet with the prima-donna's like Terell Owens.

This decade did have excess with greedy Wall Street CEO's, the celeb paparazzi, rap artists rapping about how much money and women they have.

Car companies like GM and Chrysler went into bankuptcy earlier this year which was bad and the banks made too many bad loans(i.e. subprime mortages to people who couldn't even afford them) leading to the worst economy since the early 80';s.

Former US president George W. Bush leading the US economy into a recession, dropping the ball on Huricane Katrina and gettiing us into a war we shouldn't have even been in Iraq.

In conclusion this decade was about greed and excess(the early to mid 2000's) and when this decade started to finish out Americans got angry with their government and Wall Street.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/24/09 at 5:41 pm

^Don't even get me started with Bush, Obama, and the Politics of the 00's...that didn't even help us!

Written By: 435wtr on 09/24/09 at 6:54 pm

Ah cars look the same every 5 years I think. Cars pretty much looked the same from 1998-2001. Than different from 2002-2006 than the same from 2007+.

As for my thougts on the decade I thought music was still ok from 2001-early 2007. Than about March 2007 that Ringtone Rap and autotone stuff became popular and music went completely downhill. At least in 2009 EMO died and glam rap is pretty much dead except for like Lil Wayne. The Generation Zers like that teen-pop like Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, and Demi Lovato. The late Generation Xers and early Generation Yers had their teen idols too.

TV: there were some good shows this decade but the reality TV sucked.

Sports were good albiet with the prima-donna's like Terell Owens.

This decade did have excess with greedy Wall Street CEO's, the celeb paparazzi, rap artists rapping about how much money and women they have.

Car companies like GM and Chrysler went into bankuptcy earlier this year which was bad and the banks made too many bad loans(i.e. subprime mortages to people who couldn't even afford them) leading to the worst economy since the early 80';s.

Former US president George W. Bush leading the US economy into a recession, dropping the ball on Huricane Katrina and gettiing us into a war we shouldn't have even been in Iraq.

In conclusion this decade was about greed and excess(the early to mid 2000's) and when this decade started to finish out Americans got angry with their government and Wall Street.
I wonder if Obama will be remembered as a 2000s cultural figure, since he really came on the scene late into the decade, Bush will for sure be remembered as a disaster years from now though

Written By: Starde on 09/25/09 at 7:46 pm

The only years I miss/feel nostalgic about in this decade are the years 2000-2003. I guess you can add in some of 2004 as well. In general, I hate this decade, especially the late '00s, but, looking back at it now, I enjoyed myself in the early '00s. I remember listening to the radio a lot during that time and enjoying the music. My favorite memories are from those years.

Written By: joeman on 09/26/09 at 12:49 am

Gimme ten years and I will say I love the 00s.  I do miss the early 00's(and the late 90's) and that is because of my prime youth days.

Written By: tv on 09/26/09 at 4:41 pm

I wonder if Obama will be remembered as a 2000s cultural figure, since he really came on the scene late into the decade, Bush will for sure be remembered as a disaster years from now though
Obama if he is a one term president he'll be looked at it I think as a transtional late 00's/early 10's figure the way I look at George H.W, Bush being a transitional late 80's/ early 90's figure. George H.W. Bush was president of the US from January 1989-January 1993. I think pop culture like musical trends really changed in the US when George H.W. Bush was President.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 09/27/09 at 4:20 am

I will say one thing though. Despite that I think this is much different decade from the late 90's, there's nothing from the late 90's that makes most people cringe. There are some uncool things from the late 90's, but nothing that makes you cringe really.

If you compare the late 90's with the late's 80's, it's a different story. Hair metel and certain types of fashion, made a lot of people cringe in the late 90's

Check for new replies or respond here...