inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Swiss arrest Roman Polanski on U.S. warrant in sex case.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/27/09 at 11:49 am

After years, being in Europe, after the infamous trial, in the 60's, it looks like Polanski's luck, may have finally ran out.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090927/entertainment/eu_switzerland_polanski

Subject: Re: Swiss arrest Roman Polanski on U.S. warrant in sex case.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/27/09 at 12:13 pm

I just posted a similar thread in the Political board.  But it would not let me delete it, hopefully one of the Admins can do that.

I'm glad to see that Johnny Law is catching up to Polanski.  After you see through all of his rhetoric, one thing remains and is undisputed:  In 1977 he pleaded guilty to child rape and he then fled the country.  This makes him a fugitive child rapist.

Let's hope that the Swiss authorities have the resolve to extradite him to the USA where justice awaits.  I certainly hope that additional charges of fleeing to avoid prosecution are filed against Polanski when/if he is remanded to the USA.  That alone should be an easy conviction.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/27/09 at 2:20 pm

The victim has stated numerous times that she wants to move on and not have anything to do with the prosecution.  So what are they trying to prove by going after him? 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/27/09 at 2:26 pm

Because, the very fact, that in some people's minds, that he "got away with it", and went unpunished, makes them want to go after Polanski, all that much more.

::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/27/09 at 2:46 pm

Because, the very fact, that in some people's minds, that he "got away with it", and went unpunished, makes them want to go after Polanski, all that much more.

But he didn't.  He's had to live in Europe because of it.  The fact that she want to drop it makes me think they should have dropped it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/27/09 at 3:01 pm

The victim has stated numerous times that she wants to move on and not have anything to do with the prosecution.  So what are they trying to prove by going after him? 

They are trying to prove that if you ply a minor with alcohol and drugs, then rape and sodomize her, that you can't simply skip town with impunity from the justice system.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/27/09 at 3:03 pm

They are trying to prove that if you ply a minor with alcohol and drugs, then rape and sodomize her, that you can't simply skip town with impunity from the justice system.

Forgetting about what the victim wants.  Yes, the U.S. is trying to prove a point and they've proved it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/27/09 at 3:40 pm

Forgetting about what the victim wants.  Yes, the U.S. is trying to prove a point and they've proved it.

The American justice system is not based on what "the victim wants" but it is rather based on what is in the interest of greater society.

Just because the victim of a rapist does not want to press charges (in this case the charges were pressed and the perp convicted), the State has a valid interest in preventing said rapist from walking the streets and commiting the crime again.  The State also has a vested interest in setting the example that perpetrators of crimes like this will not be let off the hook so easily, even if they are powerful Hollywood celebrities.

If Polanski were some unknown guy from the 'hood, I suspect we would not see so much widespread support for a convicted child rapist.  People would say "give him what he's got coming" and rightfully so.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/27/09 at 4:26 pm

He will probally won't making any more films, any time soon.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/28/09 at 12:23 am

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1372/hmr9oaytgn.jpg

After all, unlike Polanski, he didn't use drugs or booze back in 1990--

(ow!  ow!  stop hitting me!  I'm sorry!  I swear I'll stop!  (OK, I'm lying about that last bit, but please, stop hitting me!))

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/28/09 at 10:32 am

What really bugs me, is that the economy is tanking, there are people in the States threatening to start nothing short, of a civil war over health care, and yet people are still fixated on a cased that for all incentive purpose, is nearly 36 years old.

Sure he should serve some sort of sentenace for what happen, but the fact it took this long, is ridiculous.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/28/09 at 12:03 pm

What really bugs me, is that the economy is tanking, there are people in the States threatening to start nothing short, of a civil war over health care, and yet people are still fixated on a cased that for all incentive purpose, is nearly 36 years old.

Sure he should serve some sort of sentenace for what happen, but the fact it took this long, is ridiculous.

Polanski over the years has been fairly careful to stay in France and other countries that are not extradition-friendly to the USA.

Granted, we coulda had the CIA pick up this rapist under the "rendition" program, but then we woulda had to send him somewhere other than the USA.

Apparently in the past the US had requested foreign governments to pick up Polanski but he would then cancel his travels or otherwise slip the trap. (Tipped off by somebody)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/09 at 12:53 pm

He says he's going to fight it.  Is it possible he can?  Both France and Poland are pissed at the U.S. and the Swiss for this.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/09 at 1:09 pm

Drag the C*cks****r back by the hair and make him pay.  What is the problem here with prosecuting him?  He drugs, then rapes a 13 year old, pleads guilty to the facts, then skips town when he can't dictate the terms of his punishment.  I cannot believe that anyone here would want to let this guy off the hook.  He was smart enough to stay away from any country that could extradite him, very well orchestrated, until now.  Well the game is over, set and match.  The French and the Poles are mad? Well boohoo, are they prepared to let their 13 year old daughters spend some alone time with this guy?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/09 at 6:30 pm

Drag the C*cks****r back by the hair and make him pay.  What is the problem here with prosecuting him?  He drugs, then rapes a 13 year old, pleads guilty to the facts, then skips town when he can't dictate the terms of his punishment.  I cannot believe that anyone here would want to let this guy off the hook.  He was smart enough to stay away from any country that could extradite him, very well orchestrated, until now.  Well the game is over, set and match.  The French and the Poles are mad? Well boohoo, are they prepared to let their 13 year old daughters spend some alone time with this guy?

She doesn't want him prosecuted that is the problem.  So basically you're saying you want to drag her unwillingly into court so the U.S. can have a legal and media circus?  You would!!!!

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/28/09 at 6:57 pm

She doesn't want him prosecuted that is the problem.  So basically you're saying you want to drag her unwillingly into court so the U.S. can have a legal and media circus?  You would!!!!

They do not need to drag her into court.  Polanski has already been convicted (remember he entered a guilty plea) and so no testimony is needed from the victim.

Note that all criminal cases in California are entitled "The People of California .vs. The Criminal".  In the criminal justice system, crimes are commited against the state and it is the state which brings charges and administers punishment for people convicted of crimes against the state.

It it simply amazing how many people want to let this rapist off the hook because he makes nice movies.  ::)

This is not a case where the perp is claiming he was railroaded or is innocent of the crime.  Polanski pled guilty.  In TV interviews while on the lam, he has stated that what he did was wrong.

I hope that escape charges are also pressed against him, as that would be a "sure thing" conviction.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/28/09 at 6:59 pm

^^^  What Danoota said...  ;)

Written By: loki 13 on 09/28/09 at 7:01 pm

She made this claim after she reached an “undisclosed” settlement in a lawsuit she filed against Polanski.
Funny how money can make make all the sins of the past go away.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/09 at 7:04 pm

They do not need to drag her into court.  Polanski has already been convicted (remember he entered a guilty plea) and so no testimony is needed from the victim.

Note that all criminal cases in California are entitled "The People of California .vs. The Criminal".  In the criminal justice system, crimes are commited against the state and it is the state which brings charges and administers punishment for people convicted of crimes against the state.

It it simply amazing how many people want to let this rapist off the hook because he makes nice movies.  ::)

This is not a case where the perp is claiming he was railroaded or is innocent of the crime.  Polanski pled guilty.  In TV interviews while on the lam, he has stated that what he did was wrong.

I hope that escape charges are also pressed against him, as that would be a "sure thing" conviction.

She dropped the charges!!!  Doesn't that mean anything???  If it doesn't mean anything than the American justice system is fast becoming messed up.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/09 at 7:06 pm

She made this claim after she reached an “undisclosed” settlement in a lawsuit she filed against Polanski.
Funny how money can make make all the sins of the past go away.

Which obviously she agreed to.  Lawsuits usually involve money which may have been what she was after in the first place.

Written By: limblifter on 09/28/09 at 9:17 pm

She dropped the charges!!!  Doesn't that mean anything???  If it doesn't mean anything than the American justice system is fast becoming messed up.

No, it doesn't mean anything. Just because she has forgiven him and moved on doesn't excuse the despicable act that he committed.

You think the justice system is messed up because they want a child RAPIST, I repeat,CHILD RAPIST, to pay for his crime? Incredible.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/09 at 9:54 pm

No, it doesn't mean anything. Just because she has forgiven him and moved on doesn't excuse the despicable act that he committed.

You think the justice system is messed up because they want a child RAPIST, I repeat,CHILD RAPIST, to pay for his crime? Incredible.

You missed my point.  What happens when the victim's input is no longer desired perhaps you could answer that?  It happened to her and you're ignoring the fact that she has made a decision.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/09 at 6:30 am

You are ignoring the fact that they don't need her testimony. They can lock him up for being a fugitive from justice, which is what he is because he skipped out on his sentencing after pleading to the facts.

What people are saying is that we can set a precedence.  The next time a 13 year old is drugged and raped, and the perpetrator makes a sentencing deal, we can tell him it's ok to come back in 30 years and decided if he wants to accept the deal.

Written By: ninny on 09/29/09 at 10:22 am

You missed my point.  What happens when the victim's input is no longer desired perhaps you could answer that?  It happened to her and you're ignoring the fact that she has made a decision.

He already agreed to a plea agreement,but took advantage of the stay he was granted. He needs to face the music.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/09 at 11:43 am

He already agreed to a plea agreement,but took advantage of the stay he was granted. He needs to face the music.

Interestingly it is likely that if he had not skipped town, Polanski (nee Rajmund Liebling) would have spent another 48 days in prison.

He could well possibly spend more time than that just sitting in a Swiss prison waiting for the extradition process to be addressed through all his various appeals.

But I envision a Swiss prison as a rather pleasant place to be.  Everything is probably decorated in white and red, immaculately clean, and hot chocolate is served with breakfast each day, as well as at bedtime.  8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/29/09 at 1:47 pm

Kill him.

Written By: ninny on 09/29/09 at 1:59 pm

Interestingly it is likely that if he had not skipped town, Polanski (nee Rajmund Liebling) would have spent another 48 days in prison.

He could well possibly spend more time than that just sitting in a Swiss prison waiting for the extradition process to be addressed through all his various appeals.

But I envision a Swiss prison as a rather pleasant place to be.  Everything is probably decorated in white and red, immaculately clean, and hot chocolate is served with breakfast each day, as well as at bedtime.  8)

Let's hope they don't give him a Swiss army knife(or maybe we should) :-\\

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/29/09 at 5:12 pm

You are ignoring the fact that they don't need her testimony. They can lock him up for being a fugitive from justice, which is what he is because he skipped out on his sentencing after pleading to the facts.

What people are saying is that we can set a precedence.  The next time a 13 year old is drugged and raped, and the perpetrator makes a sentencing deal, we can tell him it's ok to come back in 30 years and decided if he wants to accept the deal.

Yeah, you're right.  Warrents are a whole separate issue.  The fact that some of the deal was done in Civil Court can be thrown out in criminal court. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/29/09 at 5:14 pm

Let's hope they don't give him a Swiss army knife(or maybe we should) :-\\

Swiss Army knives are pretty small, try something bigger.  Like a machete or something.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/09 at 5:22 pm

I was reading in the news that public opinion in Europe is generally running AGAINST Polanski, with most people wondering why a fugitive child rapist would get cut any slack.

If this workd for Polanski, maybe the Scorpio Killer (who has been on the lam longer than Polanski) will come out.  After all, it's been such a long time, we oughtta let him go.  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/29/09 at 7:16 pm

I was reading in the news that public opinion in Europe is generally running AGAINST Polanski, with most people wondering why a fugitive child rapist would get cut any slack.

If this workd for Polanski, maybe the Scorpio Killer (who has been on the lam longer than Polanski) will come out.  After all, it's been such a long time, we oughtta let him go.   ;D

Perhaps maybe the entertainment industry in both U.S. and Europe can buy him his freedom.  After all is is money that talks and public opinion means nothing.  *end of sarcasm with a strand of truth*

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/29/09 at 11:06 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/29/polanski.victim.profile/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Read it and perhaps re-read it!!!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/30/09 at 6:11 am

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/29/polanski.victim.profile/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Read it and perhaps re-read it!!!

Read it and re-read it.

If she is so upset about the publicity why is she giving interviews with anyone and everyone and going to all lengths(publicly) to defend him?  People who want to remain under the radar usually say "no comment".  What happened to the child was indefensible, but for some reason the adult wants to defend the perpetrator.  Well, it isn't for the victim in a case like this to decide whether or not a crime was committed, and what the punishment should be. 

I remember when this happened.  No one knew who the victim was until she gave an interview, the police and press went to all lengths not to name her, or give out any information about her beyond her age.  For a long time most people thought that it was Nastasia Kinski, but her "liaison" with Polanski was "consensual" and three years before the rape(guess she got too old for him).  She was 15 he was 41.  Polanski was known for "spending time" with very young girls, this time he got caught, we can assume, for all intents and purposes, that this wasn't the first time, and it wasn't the last.  But what the hell, poor guy. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/30/09 at 9:50 pm

Read it and re-read it.

If she is so upset about the publicity why is she giving interviews with anyone and everyone and going to all lengths(publicly) to defend him?   People who want to remain under the radar usually say "no comment".  What happened to the child was indefensible, but for some reason the adult wants to defend the perpetrator.  Well, it isn't for the victim in a case like this to decide whether or not a crime was committed, and what the punishment should be. 

I remember when this happened.  No one knew who the victim was until she gave an interview, the police and press went to all lengths not to name her, or give out any information about her beyond her age.  For a long time most people thought that it was Nastasia Kinski, but her "liaison" with Polanski was "consensual" and three years before the rape(guess she got too old for him).  She was 15 he was 41.  Polanski was known for "spending time" with very young girls, this time he got caught, we can assume, for all intents and purposes, that this wasn't the first time, and it wasn't the last.  But what the hell, poor guy. 

Because people hound her and won't let it die.  Obviously since it's being brought back into the spotlight and she faced with it because of modern news outlets.  Does that mean we can nail Hugh Hefner and other people who not only promote but are hell bent on glamorizing this kind of behavior?  Question, my Father dated my Mother when she was 16 and he was 21 and was in the army.  Would you have him put behind bars because she was under aged and army personnel are supposed to be of upright character?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/09 at 5:24 am

Because people hound her and won't let it die.  Obviously since it's being brought back into the spotlight and she faced with it because of modern news outlets.  Does that mean we can nail Hugh Hefner and other people who not only promote but are hell bent on glamorizing this kind of behavior?  Question, my Father dated my Mother when she was 16 and he was 21 and was in the army.  Would you have him put behind bars because she was under aged and army personnel are supposed to be of upright character?

Roman Polanski is a serial pedophile.  Your mother, at 16, would have been too old for Roman.  Your father dated your mother.  We can only hope he didn't drug, then sodomize, her or anyone else.  Roman did.  Can you see the difference?

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/01/09 at 7:22 am

Roman Polanski is a serial pedophile.  Your mother, at 16, would have been too old for Roman.  Your father dated your mother.  We can only hope he didn't drug, then sodomize, her or anyone else.  Roman did.  Can you see the difference?

Yes let's remember that this was not the only pedophile situation with Polanski (nee Rajmund Leibling).

He was also partying with Nastassia Kinski when she was 15 years old and he was 43.  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/09 at 1:14 pm

Yes let's remember that this was not the only pedophile situation with Polanski (nee Rajmund Leibling).

He was also partying with Nastassia Kinski when she was 15 years old and he was 43.  :o

Probably even before she was 15, at 16 she would be too old

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/01/09 at 3:31 pm

Well... Whoopi Goldberg has weighed in on the Rajmund Leibling case.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE58T7VA20090930

Apparently Leibling (a.k.a. Roman Polanski) is being treated unfairly because, after all, the incident in question was not "rape-rape".   ::)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/01/09 at 4:21 pm

Did he go to Bring'em Young University?  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/01/09 at 6:29 pm

Did he go to Bring'em Young University?   ;D

Heh heh...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/09 at 7:22 pm

I've been off the boards since the whole Polanski ordeal started.

My gut reaction was, "Oh, let him alone."  The victim, now in her forties, isn't complaining.  However, the other side makes a solid point.  He evaded justice and his wealth and fame let him keep evading it for 30 years. 

I'm a huge Roman Polanski fan.  I'll always love his movies.  However, I'm not a fan of what he did to that girl.  I can't say any greater good will really be served by hauling his 76-year-old ass back here and throwing him behind bars, but Polanski set himself up for this.  It's a case study in "nothing ever just goes away."  He brought a pubescent girl, Samantha Geimer, (nee Gailey),l to his studio purportedly for a photo shoot, then he plied her with alcohol and sedatives, and had his way with her in his hot tub.  Well, Roman, you just bought yourself a world of trouble and if you end up in prison as an old man, I can't feel terribly sorry for you. 

It was not statutory rape in a seductive fashion.  It was rape, and rape of a 13-year-old at that. 

Right after he went fugitive, Polanski also flaunted his affair with a 15-year-old Natassja Kinski (who played the leading role in Polanski's "Tess" in 1979).  "I like young girls," he declared.  Poor PR, Roman, very poor.  They're a lot more liberal about teenage sex in Europe than here in the U.S.

Some people are calling Polanski a pedophile.  I would say his more of an ephebophile.  That is, one who is attracted to adolescents, rather than children.  However, sexual assault on a person under 14 years of age generally carries a stiffer penalty in most states than sex with an older teen.

I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone pointed out Polanski got busted the same week Manson girl Susan Atkins died.  Atkins was perhaps the most violent and depraved of the Manson girls.  She and Tex Watson were the two who murdered Sharon Tate, who was pregnant with Polanski's child.  Maybe, just maybe, if it hadn't been for the incredibly grisly murder of Ms. Tate, Polanski would not have raped that girl seven years later.

>:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/01/09 at 7:41 pm

Maybe, just maybe, if it hadn't been for the incredibly grisly murder of Ms. Tate, Polanski would not have raped that girl seven years later.

>:(

Doubtful.  Polanski cheated on Sharon Tate while they were married, which was less than two years.

He's lived his life letting that weiner do all the thinking for him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/09 at 8:11 pm

Doubtful.  Polanski cheated on Sharon Tate while they were married, which was less than two years.

He's lived his life letting that weiner do all the thinking for him.

Yeah, you're prolly right about that. 
:(

He's still one up on John Phillips.  Unless, McKenzie's lying.

Written By: limblifter on 10/01/09 at 9:25 pm

Question, my Father dated my Mother when she was 16 and he was 21 and was in the army.  Would you have him put behind bars because she was under aged and army personnel are supposed to be of upright character?

If your grandparents had said something your father could very well have found himself on the wrong side of a jail cell.

But of course, you're not naive enough to compare your dating parents to a man who drugged, and sodomized a little girl. Right?

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/06/09 at 4:14 pm

The Swiss justice ministry today refused to let Polanski out of jail, as they cited him as a high risk for leaving the country.

The case could still go to the Swiss Supreme Court (or whatever they call it there), but according to all the news stories I have read so far, it is almost a certainty that Polanski will be extradited to the USA, based on Swiss law and the history of the Swiss cooperating with extradition requests.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/08/09 at 9:52 pm

Well... Whoopi Goldberg has weighed in on the Rajmund Leibling case.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE58T7VA20090930

Apparently Leibling (a.k.a. Roman Polanski) is being treated unfairly because, after all, the incident in question was not "rape-rape".  ::)

Whoopi Goldberg: It was something, but I don't believe it was rape-rape.

Hedley Lamarr: You said "rape" twice.

Whoopi Goldberg: http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc156/556308/taggart-hedley_lamarr.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/08/09 at 9:57 pm

Whoopi Goldberg: It was something, but I don't believe it was rape-rape.

Hedley Lamarr: You said "rape" twice.

Whoopi Goldberg: http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc156/556308/taggart-hedley_lamarr.jpg

Fortunately for Whoopi, she was not caught chewing gum in line.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/20/09 at 7:56 am

News wires report that today, a Swiss court denied Polanski's request to be released from prison whilst awaiting the extradition ruling.  The court cited Polanski's high probability as an "escape risk".  Yeah, I can understand that!  ;D

He can still appeal this to the Swiss Supreme Court.

Check for new replies or respond here...