inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Open space in cities or suburban areas - how much is still around?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/09 at 12:14 am

I imagine it's different in the country or maybe outer suburbs, but I've said on here before how there seems to have been a huge construction and renovation boom in cities. It started around 2001 but didn't get crazy until maybe 04/05, at least that's what I've noticed around here.

I didn't realize how cool it was until it started disappearing, but even in the 90s there was alot of open space (like fields) as well as buildings that had maybe been abandoned some years back, but were still standing. Nowadays if empty lots aren't taken up by new shopping centers or stores, it's usually got a development of "row houses", where they basically all look the same.

Is there still any open fields where anyone else lives? I bet they're just trying to utilize every space possible, which I can understand - but the vacant lots kinda gave the area more character (they were good shortcuts too, lol). I wonder if there were complaints about that, which is why they wanna fill them up as much as possible?

Subject: Re: Open space in cities or suburban areas - how much is still around?

Written By: Midas on 09/28/09 at 10:37 am

In the early 80s to early 90s I lived in North Phoenix. In the house I lived in from 1982-1985 we had open spaces right across the street from the house for about a half mile south to the main road up until 1984.  The next house I lived in (1985-1986) had open desert right outside the neighborhood subdivision well into the early 90's.

I moved away in 1991 and came back for a visit in the summer of 2000.  The Phoenix area was and still is experiencing "suburban sprawl" from Queen Creek (and Maricopa) (East and South) to Surprise and Tolleson (North/West). 

There's some open land in my subdivision in the 'copa but in a few years I'm guessing that will be gone once the economy and housing market turns around.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/09 at 1:17 pm

BIG YELLOW TAXI

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot,
With a pink hotel, a boutique,
And a swinging hot spot.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got till it's gone?
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

They took all the trees and put them in a tree museum.
And they charged all the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em.

Hey, farmer, farmer, put away that D.D.T., now!
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees, please!

Late last night I heard the screen door slam.
And a big yellow taxi took away my old man.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/28/09 at 2:24 pm

Where I live it's almost condoland.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/28/09 at 7:22 pm

They're building homes closer and closer to the mountain ranges out here now.  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...