inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: In-car Internet access- the final nail in the coffin to terrestial radio?

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/28/09 at 9:07 am

I was reading the Consumer Reports 2010 new car preview and noticed the photo on the BMW 7-series had the Google homepage shown on the Navigation system. Since such trends gradually work their way down to more mainstream models, probably sometime in the late 2010s when in-car Internet access will be offered on the majority of new cars, there will be practically NO use for traditional terrestial radio; either using XM Satellite at home on the TV or Internet, and that could potentially spell the end of Top 40 radio as new music will be much more word-of-mouth in terms of reading reviews by critics, so music could improve when this happens (I hope!)

But this is a good example of "primitive '10s technology" (just like right at the end of each decade you see embroynic elements of the next).

First we had talking on the phone will driving. Then we had texting while driving. But will "Surfing the Web while driving" become an even greater HAZARD?

Subject: Re: In-car Internet access- the final nail in the coffin to terrestial radio?

Written By: Jessica on 09/28/09 at 9:12 am

First we had talking on the phone will driving. Then we had texting while driving. But will "Surfing the Web while driving" become an even greater HAZARD?

Hello, that already happens!  They're called SMART PHONES.

Subject: Re: In-car Internet access- the final nail in the coffin to terrestial radio?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/28/09 at 10:33 am

Pretty much.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/09 at 10:35 am

I was reading the Consumer Reports 2010 new car preview and noticed the photo on the BMW 7-series had the Google homepage shown on the Navigation system. Since such trends gradually work their way down to more mainstream models, probably sometime in the late 2010s when in-car Internet access will be offered on the majority of new cars, there will be practically NO use for traditional terrestial radio; either using XM Satellite at home on the TV or Internet, and that could potentially spell the end of Top 40 radio as new music will be much more word-of-mouth in terms of reading reviews by critics, so music could improve when this happens (I hope!)

But this is a good example of "primitive '10s technology" (just like right at the end of each decade you see embroynic elements of the next).

That's pretty cool and actually that's the first I've heard about it, but yeah I agree that could really kill traditional radio.

I basically think it started sucking in 1996/97 when clear channel took over the vast majority of stations and they started cutting more songs out of playlists. I think it held on this long just because it's something most people listen to in a secondary way (I do it just for a change of pace or if I wanna hear something really quick - it's fun to turn from station to station), and we're just so used to it anyway. ;)

That's a good point though, if people can go online from their cars (by say 2020 it might get common) then there'd be practically no use for it. That's probably where most people listen NOW anyway. To use the same analogy, I think that's what made cassettes really drop in popularity (I think new cars didn't have them by '04 or so. unless they were rentals or cheapies).

Written By: whistledog on 09/28/09 at 4:40 pm

If it involves doing something while driving other than watching the road, then companies will make it, then the government will pass laws banning it LOL

In some areas, it is illegal to talk on a cellphone while driving and can result in a BIG fine.

When you are in your car, keep your eyes on the road, your hands on the wheel and your mind on where you are going.  People who do other things while driving are the ones most likely to get in an accident and injure (or even kill) someone. 

Everytime I see a car in traffic at a stoplight talking on the phone, I wanna run over, rip the phone away and introduce it to the pavement.  One of these days I will!

Written By: Satish on 09/29/09 at 10:27 pm

Don't you have to pay a subscription fee to use XM and other satellite radio services? As long as satellite radio isn't free, I think there will still continue to be a market for terrestrial radio. And also, you can only get local programming like news and traffic reports on terrestrial radio.

Check for new replies or respond here...