inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ad Creep (Advertising appearing in unexpected places)

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/07/09 at 6:28 am

One thing I'll remember the 2000s decade for is the movement of so called "Ad Creep". (It's just as bad as the music that's come out this decade!) If you search that term on Youtube, you will get a couple dozen interesting videos about how advertising has gone "too far", yet there are still many people who still think it's "cool", and I disagree on most. Here are some examples of ad creep that we'rent around even in 1999:

-Advertising in bathrooms. Many restaurants/bars in the bathroom show ads on the doors and walls. How distracting is that?

-Advertising inside parking garages. Some mall/airport garages just this year are including these supergraphics. JetBlue in Tysons Corner, VA had a huge ad over the summer in one of their parking garages.

-Advertising DURING actual segments of TV shows, and this is NOT product placement. If you think more "standard" commercials and longer breaks are enough to make you hurl, enjoying the show only to see an ad appear at the bottom REALLY drives me insane! 8-P

-Floor advertising. Some sidewalks or grocery stores even show ads on the floor. Let's stomp on 'em!

-Eggs. CBS actually advertised a few years ago on a particular egg brand (though I can't remember).

-Front-page advertising on mainstream newspapers. Yes, some magazines, such as Billboard, have had front page advertising as early as the '60s, but just in the past several years is it common on most "newspapers of record". Some are stickers that you can simply peel off and throw away, but others just stay there permanantly.

If advertising stays at this level a couple decades from now, people will remember the 2000s as the decade when advertising became really insane!

Subject: Re: Ad Creep (Advertising appearing in unexpected places)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/07/09 at 8:08 am

Reminds me of the entry in the Dirty Harry movie trilogy, Magnum Force.

The coroner opened up the skull of a murder victim and said "Hey Harry come over here, it says "Eat at Luigi's" ".

;D

Subject: Re: Ad Creep (Advertising appearing in unexpected places)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/07/09 at 10:15 am

Ad use has become insane, for quite awhile.

Check for new replies or respond here...