inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite CGI animated films of the past decade

Written By: woops on 10/10/09 at 12:54 pm

Many people tend to dismiss CGI films because of it's dominance, but some aren't even that bad and not all are constantly filled with potty humor and cointanst pop culture referances (ironically same could be said for "Family Guy", but that's another topic). Not to mention there's been some traditionally drawn and stop motion films.

Honestly, I don't remember much of "Shrek" since it's been a while since I've seen it and also yet to see "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs"...yeah it may sound silly but heard many good reviews of the movie and that it appeals to all ages despite being based on a book for young children

The only beef I havew ith CGI is that most tend to look alike and lack creativity of hand-drawn, which animators could have their own style.

"Hoodwinked"... While not an all time favorite, "Hoodwinked" wasn't that bad, but rather OK and interesting with each character's side of the story that connects (not to mention that the culprit is not one of the main suspects)

I've seen far worse ("Shark Tales" comes to mind) and guessing it was panned for being another CGI family film (then they'll say it's too 'old fashioned' if it's traditionally hand drawned or in stop motion), a "Shrek" rip-off (fairy tale parodies are as old as the tales themselves... from Looney Tunes to Fractured Fairy Tales), or the mediocre animation (Honestly, I can't tell the difference between Dreamworks & Pixar...though "Hoodwinked" was from neither). Ironically on the commentary, it was stated that the look was inspirted to look like stop motion.

The pop culture referances weren't over exposed or "in your face", which been featured in countless CGI films. Though the "Matrixesque" fighting was already outdated/overdone by 2005/2006. I read that the wolf was a parody of CheVy Chase's character from "Fletch"...which went over my head.

"Surf's Up"... good satire on sports coverage shows and also has a positive message for kids

"Happy Feet"... good blend of popular music from the 1950's to the present and also likable characters. Besides the slightly over-preachy message at the end, it's quite enjoyable. I somewhat relate to the "outsider" type animated films since I happen to be one myself.

"Madesgascar" 1 & 2... The first movie was better than the sequell since it's about zoo animals adapting to the wild and learning about their instincts. The sequel was a bit more "cartoony", though still enjoyable. Not to mention the penguins (yeah, there's a theme with most of my faves) that spawned a theatrical short and a hit Nickeloden series.

"Barnyard"... the only letdown is that the animators added udders on the bulls.  Also not that bad of a movie and suprisingly dark considering that's it's from Nickelodeon. It's pretty much average and doesn't have much pop culture referances ( not sure how many 8 year olds would recognize songs from Tom Petty or Shaggy).  Like "Hoodwinked" I didn't watch it until a few years after it's release on television.

"Ratouille"... a decent movie, though not exactly among the best

"Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs"... filled with drama, heart, and comedy I quite enjoyed it despite not seeing the first two...

Subject: Re: Favorite CGI animated films of the past decade

Written By: Jebusa on 10/10/09 at 2:57 pm

Wall-E, Ratatouille, and Up are definitely among the best movies I've ever seen.  Pixar still knows how to make a great movie.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/10/09 at 2:59 pm

The good

Shrek
Shrek 2
Finding Nemo
Ice Age
Ice Age: The Meltdown
Kung Fu Panda
The Incredibles
Madagascar
Madagascar 2
Monsters Inc.
Over The Hedge
Ratatouille
Surfs Up
WALL-E

The Ok

The Wild
TMNT
Shark Tale
Open Season
Monster House
Meet the Robinsons
Igor
Hoodwinked
Shrek 3
The Ant Bully
Polar Express
Barnyard
Bee Movie
Bolt
Cars
Chicken Little
Arthur and the Invisibles
Flushed Away
Happy Feet
Jimmy Neutron
Valiant
Robots

The Blah

Delgo
Everyone's Hero
Pinocchio 3000

Written By: Tam on 10/11/09 at 9:41 pm

Cars - Tow-Mater: I've always wanted to ride in one of those heli-o-copter thingys!

Finding Nemo - Fish tank" Shark Bait ooo ha ha!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...